Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nearest I get to perfume compliment from my husband!

As you may remember from previous posts, my husband is anosmic
    and really can't smell a sausage! He understands my perfume hobby and
    often buys me scents, although he can't appreciate them for himself, which I
    think is really very generous of him.
    About an hour ago he came in from his running session, looked at me ironing
    and actually said "You are looking very fragrant this morning!"
    I was actually wearing Heliotrope Blanc (Piver.) Maybe his sense of smell is merging
    with his visual sense - who knows? Stranger things have happened....

Default Re: Nearest I get to perfume compliment from my husband!

To my mind, when a woman 'looks' fragrant, it usually means she is elegant, classy and airy. Did you look like this when you were doing the ironing? Jeffrey Archer's wife, Mary, was once memorably described as 'fragrant'. Is there a resemblance there, perchance?
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to think I look elegant when I'm dashing away with my smoothing iron!!
    Don't resemble Mary Archer physically at all.
    Her perfume is Caleche by the way.
    Last edited by kewart; 22nd November 2008 at 02:12 PM.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is sooo sweet ... and kinda heartbreaking.

Post Thanks / Like

My boyfriend, King of the Metrosexuals, has absolutely no problem telling me what he thinks of whatever frag I'm wearing. He leaned over and sniffed my neck a few weeks ago, commented "vile" and then went on about his business. I can't remember what I was wearing but it was something by Lancome.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    He leaned over and sniffed my neck a few weeks ago, commented "vile" and then went on about his business.
    The other day, I was testing Tom Ford Tuscan Leather at the same time as Bandit EdT and my husband said, "Smells like a public bathroom antiseptic." At least I smelled "clean," I guess.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So, yesterday, in the car, husband asks, "Is that a cologne for men or a perfume for women?" I said, "It's yoo-nee-secs. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I just wanted to know more about perfumes. I like it."

(This is only the second compliment I've ever received about something I've worn. More commonly, he does this fake-anaphylactic-death-scene with most everything I try. The other reaction is to not notice at all -- lack of reaction.)

We also discussed one of the reasons why he has such an unflattering opinion of perfumes. We both went through high school in the 80's, and when I mentioned "80's power scents, he immediately said, "I don't know what it was, but all the girls in high school were wearing it. And it was as if they applied it with a paintbrush."

What was it? I wonder. Giorgio?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    (This is only the second compliment I've ever received about something I've worn. More commonly, he does this fake-anaphylactic-death-scene with most everything I try. The other reaction is to not notice at all -- lack of reaction.)
    So funny! - I get the fake-anaphylactic-death-scene reaction on a daily basis. Today, I was in the next room wearing a light dab of Divine L'Infante and he said: "Whatever that is, don't you dare come close wearing it. And don't even offer to make me a cup of tea." Lately he has taken to accusing me of perfuming the tea and the loaf of bread.

The kindest thing he might say would be: "it's like soap - so why bother?" or "it's not fly spray, I'll give it that".
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

"You are looking very fragrant this morning!"
    That's very sweet!

More commonly, he does this fake-anaphylactic-death-scene with most everything I try. The other reaction is to not notice at all -- lack of reaction.
    My husband does that too. Either waves his hands around in front of his face to let me know he hates my perfume...or no comment at all. I rarely get an unsolicited compliment out of him (he likes Fracas interestingly enough). He said he liked Parfum de Therese when I tried it, but I had to ask him so it doesn't really count. He has a very senstive nose, though, and most fragrances make him irrritable. The other day he was hugging me and told me I smelled good like a baby, which I thought was sweet. I had no perfume on and hadn't had a shower yet. So much for sophisticated perfumery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Lately he has taken to accusing me of perfuming the tea and the loaf of bread.
    I smelled my mother's perfume inside a bag of marshmallows when she was here. Busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, ladies, we need to form a support group for those with partners who behave in such a way. I am so there. My husband claims to have severe allergic reactions to any and all perfumes. In the morning I apply fragrance in the room farthest from him, usually the kitchen, and then return the bottle while he has moved on to shave. At his worst, he grips his head in pain. At best, no comment. I have grown to think that silence is the best because it interferes least with my fragrance passion.
    He is nevertheless fascinated by the way I smell everything, the dog, new books, old books, vegetables, leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear hubby gives me "the face" if he's not happy with a frag...on rare occasion he'll give a compliment. When he does make a positive comment, I ALWAYS remember it!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Oh, ladies, we need to form a support group for those with partners who behave in such a way. I am so there.
    Wouldn't it be fun? I could see us compiling a video of our partners' adverse reactions to perfumes. Submit to Funniest Videos. Split the prize money for perfume purchases! HEE!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Today, we were standing around the kitchen table (cats occupy the chairs) discussing our exasperating day, and he goes, "At least your hair smells nice."

I didn't tell him what I put in my hair, because I have a feeling if he knew, he'd be doing the "Ack! Ack! Your perfume is choking me! I'm dyin'! Dyin'! Choking now! Dyin'!" routine.

So far he's only complimented three scents:

1. Pink Sugar
    2. Tam Dao
    3. and now Montana Parfum d'Homme

I know my shampoo alone smells pretty damn good. I use Jhirmack Shine Shampoo and Conditioner. I've also recently started using Jonathan Silky Dirt as well. So I guess it's really a mixture of a bunch of things. But anyway. . . I know I smell good!
    Last edited by Aiona; 31st January 2009 at 06:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Most days I ask him how I smell. He always replies 'You smell lovely darling'. But a few times I got a genuine reaction. It was Mitsouko :-)
    Last edited by Frenchie Day; 31st January 2009 at 09:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

How sweet of him, kewart! :-)
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Dear hubby gives me "the face" if he's not happy with a frag...on rare occasion he'll give a compliment. When he does make a positive comment, I ALWAYS remember it!
    Same here, unfortunately I've gotten a few compliments recently on a hand sanitizer I was using and nothing on my perfumes! Men...

My husband is not into scent the way I am, and his sense of smell is not as sharp: I'm the one who senses a bad lemon in the fridge.

He has been good-natured about my obsession, and willingly sniffs my sample-soaked wrists, usually giving brief assessments: "Mmmm--grassy;" (Eau des Merveilles); "Strange" (Coz) ; "Ew , yuck" (Chanel No. 5); "An instant aphrodisiac" (Chanel No. 19); "Mmmm, I really like this one" (Jasmin Noir"); "Smells like women at singles bars in the '80's " (Exceptional..because you are--did anyone else get the free sample?) and so on.

I know he loves a scent when he nuzzles my neck and says "Mmmm..sniff the wife!"
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 31st January 2009 at 06:38 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Post Thanks / Like

My husband enjoys all of the scents that I have, one of his favorites on me is Bal a Versailles. He describes my 'scent' as "christmas(y)", I believe this is because most of my scents are rather heavy, and quite spicy/oriental. He loves the way I smell, but when I do occasionally try something out of character he will let me know. When I tried on Parfum de Therese he hated it, he said it did not smell like me; truth be told I disliked it on myself also, enjoyed the scent on a blotter car though.

But all in all, my husband has enjoyed the way I smell since the day we met. I have even inspired him to wear some classic scents, he never wore anything prior to me, such as; Yatagan (vintage), Fahrenheit (older version, he dislikes the reformulation), and Eau Sauvage.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 31st January 2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typ
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this is an absolutely amazing discussion. Thanks to all of you for these slices-of-life.
    I'll have to go away now, and ponder about the odd ways of my gender...
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Today my other half sniffed my neck and said I smelt nice - this he has never done - tolerable is the best I can hope for normally ie not like fly spray etc.

I am wearing Rose Kashmirie so he asked me what was in it, and I said Indian spices, amongst other things. "Oh", he exclaimed, "well, that explains it then - you know I love a good curry!"
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Nearest I get to perfume compliment from my husband!

This thread is slightly depressing and mostly hilarious--anaphylactic-death-scene LMAO!

In our defense, incredible denseness can and often does extend far beyond matters of fragrance, as you are probably all too aware.

Myself, I am currently seeking to remedy the scent situation with some prescription BN once or twice daily but unfortunately, I still remain utterly oblivious whenever a woman shows all but the most overt interest in me. Short of telling me or tackling me, I end up carrying on with my day in my own merry, bumfuzzled way, completely unaware of what could have been.

So while your partners may not exactly be perfumisters, at least they had enough about them to register your interest and the sense to snag you in the first place...

Hillaire

My husband professes to have "no nose", and be unable to recognize fragrances. Mostly it's not upsetting because he wears what i suggest and claims to like most of my personal choices. However, he goes crazy every time I wear First or Norell, "OMG You smell so gooood!", and I daresay he recognizes some scents.
    I think it's a machismo thing with some men, this claiming to have poor olfactory ability....like claiming not to know what mauve or fuschia looks like. And I think it's B.S.
    I'd love it he were more into fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

So glad someone ressurrected my original post! Some of your comments are so funny and
    actually make me a little relieved my man can't smell me all the time. The one about the smell
    of curry really cracked me up!!! I actually thank God for him when the drains need clearing or
    there is another smelly job requires attention, but I despair when he can't smell that the meal he
    is cooking me is actually burning.
    My oldest son, who is very like his father, actually feigns a choking fit, if I apply perfume in the
    car before going out to greet friends, so maybe I am quite lucky that there's only one member of the family
    complaining. I would actually be quite upset if my husband didn't like my choice of perfume.The younger son is much more sensitive to people's feelingsand always tells me I smell good.

Post Thanks / Like

My guy loves perfume --his. Occasionally I get a compliment -- seems to happen mostly when I douse myself in Coromandel or Mauboussin, both heavy hitters. Maybe that's because he's already surrounded by a nimbus of his own 'fume. Or maybe he's just a narcissist! It's nice that he let's me try out anything I want on him, though.

It always puzzles me that more men aren't apt to give lots of compliments. I know I'm a sucker for them, and if I ever come back as a man -- however attractive -- I plan to cut quite a swath by overwhelming every nice woman I meet with all kinds of creative flattery.

One more report from the field.

Without fail, when I am wearing Jasmin Noir, my husband tells me I smell wonderful. He never recognizes it, though. Each time I tell him what it is and he beams with pride, because he bought it for me. So he certainly knows what he likes when he smells it!

Apparently this purchases involved lots of attention from lovely SAs who were charmed by his willingness to smell everything they put before him. They gave him a boat load of samples, too, I mean samples it would take me months and thousands of dollars in purchases to acquire. I need to send him out sniffing for me again soon!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 5th February 2009 at 02:50 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Post Thanks / Like

My dear husband, who usually describes fragrances I wear that please him as, christmas-y, went crazy for my perfume I have on today. This scent he went 'wild' for is...drum roll...ARABIE by Serge Lutens. He said it was his 'absolute' favorite fragrance in the world, on me. He said when we go to Paris, he is going to purchase the bell-jar for me, he said I should have the deluxe version, as opposed to the 'export' version. I have rarely worn this scent, now I wonder what I have been missing from my life, by not wearing this more often.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Brielle87, lucky you!! Haven't tried Arabie yet.