Code of Conduct

Default Poll Question: Your Oldest Bottle(s) of Perfume?

Either a vintage bottle or something you have had since it was a baby.

mine ~ vintage Chantilly by Houbigant.
    The lift-up box says "Houbigant 1506" on the back. I'd imagine the set, a talc and a EdT Spray of sage green juice was bought by someone in the '60s although it could be earlier - Chantilly was born in 1941.
    It was an eBay steal for me and the the perfume is as good as new.
    notes ~ neroli, bergamot and lemon, carnation, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and orange blossom, leather, tonka bean, musk, benzoin, oakmoss, vanilla and sandalwood.

I also have some scents still that I bought in, oh , I don't know, the early '80s.
    (which feels like not that long ago to me.)
    Babe, Coty's Masumi, Aviance Night Musk, the Jovan series...Black Orchid, Night Blooming Jasmin etc. The Love's Scents, Rain, Lemon, Musky Jasmin, Baby Soft.
    I have a bottle of Misha Parfum. Liz Claiborne in the red triangle. Gucci No. 1
    and more.
    I had Deneuve and Laura Ashley No. 1 and the original Guess? - I sold them.
    big mistake. *big,* mistake.

I also have a hat box full of samples from the '80s...Joop, Moschino (orig.), Byblos, Tuscany Per Donna (when it was made by Aramis.), Boucheron, Picasso etc.

Can't wait to hear about your older treasures.

Default Re: Poll Question: Your Oldest Bottle(s) of Perfume?

A Chanel N°5 dated 1922.

Regarding the others, I don't know, I'll have to find out.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I don't have anything very old. Balmain's Vent Vert parfum is probably getting on for 15 years old, and Patou's Sublime parfum probably around the same sort of age. I'd have bought more if I'd realised they were going to stop doing the parfums .

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle of Houbigant Fougere Royale. My research leads me to think this is from the re-launch period, probably 1959-1960. I also have two bottles, one of cologne and one of aftershave, from the Deparco version of Fougere Royale aka H pour Homme, circa 1963. I acquired all of these beauties.
    The oldest one that I always owned is an Eau Sauvage from the late 1970's.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Two possibles:

1) I've worn Opium since I was 15 (30 years ago! Damnit, I am not supposed to be this old!). Have long since gone through my original bottles, but my Mom gifted me with various wonderful Opium products for every birthday, Hanukkah, etc. since I was a freshman in college, so I probably have some nice old bottles in my stash.

2) I bought some beautiful Lanvin Scandal Edp originals on e-Bay (thanks to being turned on to Scandal courtesy of leather-fiend Dimples... THANK YOU!!) , these are probably the oldest in my collection.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by downtothreepetals View Post
    Either a vintage bottle or something you have had since it was a baby.

mine ~ vintage Chantilly by Houbigant.
    I too have that one. But I have no idea how old it is. My bottle is round and flat. I only found one picture that looked like that on the internet. It did not say the year.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Mine, a sealed bottle of 4711 in a cut glass 150ml bottle that i found at a flea market.
    It has been dated between 1930 and 1940.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle of Mary Chess ~ White Lilac from the 1930's.

I have a bottle of Caron Bellodgia that my aunt, an army nurse, brought back from France at the end of WW2, so circa 1945.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see:
    O De London - 1967 or so - 1/2 in or so left
    Babe & Cachet - 1970 ish
    No 5 unopened from DB when he was at WP, so 1974 or '75
    Flora Danica - someone help me here, pls with a date.
    Lumiere - 1980's

Checking mums' stuff:
    Ecusson & Sortilege - mid 70's
    Chantilly - I was very young, so let's say 50+ & leave it at that.
    Hermes - something I got her in Europe-early 80's - Caleche, perhaps?
    #22 EDC unopened - she can't remember who gave to her other than a former beau before she was married. Their 57th anniversary is today. She says I should open it & enjoy it. **scared**

I have a sealed, never used bottle of Muguet cologne from the 19 th century. It sits on my vanity as a decorative item. Otherwise, my oldest is a bottle of Coty Chypre extrait from the 1930's. It still smells wonderful.

I have a weeny bottle of Lelong's Indiscret, which I would date to the late '30s or early '40s. It's a little beauty.

Also have a '60s Cabochard (with the 'scribble' packaging), which is superlative. Save for a faintly rubbery whiff from the stopper, it's the elixir of handsome womanliness to me.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Too many for me to count. But the oldest, I think, is a bottle of Houbigant Wistaria from my grandmother's dresser. Judging from the bottle style, ornate and very deco, it is probably circa 1920-30, but I have never seen any reference to this frag so I have no real idea.

I have a nice collection of Letherics from the 50s and 60s, Mary Chess, Cotys and bottles of Lanvin My Sin, Rumeur (original) and Pretexte. I have a huge bottle of Nuit de Longchamps by Lubin and a bottle of Indian Summer from Houbigant. And a bottle of Jacques Heim's L'Amour (never heard of this one either)

Funny that so many oldest bottles are Houbigant! I'd have expected a wider selection of Guerlains and Carons. I have no elderly Carons but do have a few of the big old round Guerlain EDCs that were popular in the 70s (I remember them distinctly from that time).

I wonder what the intersting collectibles will be in a few years time with so many scents reformulated and discontinued! When it came out I never saw Estee Lauder's Celadon as the weak link in that trio, but it vanished rapidly. Now the Dazzling line is finished, too. Perhaps only those who remember certain scents and have warm or glistening memories associated with them will care to revisit them. Maybe the new perfume obsessed will seek them out.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 23rd November 2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: added

Post Thanks / Like

My oldest bottle is from 1995, an empty 50ml of Laura Biagiotti's Roma. It is the perfume I wore on my wedding day and I can still catch the original scent from the bottle. I do wish I had kept my empty bottles from years ago: Anais Anais, Poison, Montana Parfum de Peau, even Giorgio from the early eighties. Note to self: I must keep ALL empty bottles from now on!

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Mollie Parnis. I have a 2 oz Bottle of the eay de Parfum that I bought in 1978 when it came out. It has a bout 1/4" of liquid left in the bottle and smelled true until about a year ago. I loved that fragrance! The bottle is elegant, too, square shaped with aincented circle at the center.

I have some Avon bottles from when I was a Boy......A Snoopy Bottle, a Man on a Horse, and a Car..... I also have a bottle of Polo Crest and Polo Sport Extreme.....I also have Jil Sander Feeling Man, a Bottle of Background, and Zeno Davidoff.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I have Jean Patou's Ma Liberte from 1989.
    I also have a bottle of Sublime from around the time it launched.
    I have several perfumes that I bought in the mid to late 80s: Ralph Lauren Safari, Knowing, Eau Must de Cartier, Jean Patou's 1000, Samsara.
    Original Lalique from 1993

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know exact years for mine but guessing roughly by decade:

Lanvin: My Sin, circa '50s-'60s
    Houbigant: Flatterie, c '60s
    Lentheric Tweed, c '70s
    Robert Piguet: Baghari parfum, no idea maybe '60s?
    and a set of minis that I believe to be in parfum concentration (one of them labelled parfum for sure) of: Pierre Cardin: Cardin, Gres: Cabochard, Emilio Pucci: Vivara, Balmain: Ivoire and Carven: Ma Griffe, c '60-'70s

They all still smell wonderful and were, for the most part, still sealed when I bought them. Miracles sometimes happen on eBay

1-2 lelongs from 1950s probably
    Knize Ten from 1940s
    few others from 1940s=50s but names too difficult to remember

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dior Poison, been in my family since 1989 so 24 years.

Post Thanks / Like

My oldest is a tiny bottle of Raphael Demon. After that is a spray bottle of Revlon Aquamarine. Then a bottle of Khaki by Love Cosmetics. I wore Khaki in the late '70s when everybody else wore Baby Soft. I wish I knew the notes in Khaki, but I can't find anything about it.

I have a Shalimar parfum umbrella bottle and an old edc from the 60s. I think the umbrella bottle is older.

I have some 1940s minis. they smell fine.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My oldest bottle is Madame Rochas from the '60s. It still smells amazing.