Code of Conduct

Default Narciso Rodriguez 'him'...Compliments in the most unexpected places

So, I've gone through 3 samples since 'him' was released and each time Narciso Rodriguez grows on me. This scent is very unusual, being so musky and heavy. Perhaps this is what has kept me at bay.

Friday afternoon I was on the way to the cottage and stopped at Walmart and the liquor store here in Gatineau, Quebec for a few sundries.

I had taken off my winter jacket while in the men's section and I was looking for some long sleeve t-shirts. Next to me was a lovely older French woman who asked me kindly in French, 'Monsieur, ce qui est que parfum que vous portez ? Il fait trčs beau.' (Translation: What is that very nice scent you are wearing?) That made me smile and we had a brief conversation about the scent and where it could be found.

If that isn't the test of when a fragrance needs to be in one's wardrobe I don't know what is. Dior Homme Intenses and Dior Homme are two that I adore and that also continue to garner very kind compliments which make them, as well, so much more special to wear.

And the fact that Mrs. Obama had the sense and panache to wear a Rodriguez outfit on Election evening has made realize that this fragrance is going to part of my regimen.

Have a great weekend.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Default Re: Narciso Rodriguez 'him'...Compliments in the most unexpected places

Narciso must have liked Grey Flannel because they smell very similar. I swapped mine. Overdose of violets which a monster sillage that gives me a headache.
    Enjoy it! very popular with great reviews, just not my cup of tea.
    It is always nice to get compliments :-)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Blog Entries

this stuff smells like bacterial cultures. seriously....i went to the microbiology department in our hospital the other day----and those agar plates growing bacteria smelled like this stuff.....gross!

nice job on the compliment though. maybe that woman was a microbiologist

If my capability to hate anything wasn't next to zero, I might hate NR For Him ! I wonder what's wrong with me. It even was created by my favorite perfumer, Kurdj. I can see the Grey Flannel reference, but GF is nice and wearable!
    Last edited by narcus; 22nd November 2008 at 06:57 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Hey, what's up with all the HR bashing??!

I'm one of those "small" men (as Tania Sachez described NR lovers), who appreciates its sharp green, cementy, musky notes. Obviously not for everyone, but it certainly has appeal for those with refined taste.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 22nd November 2008 at 07:49 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Hey, what's up with all the HR bashing??!
    That's what I was thinking?

This juice is great. I don't wear it anymore (no longer in my wardrobe) and I think it's a very love/hate kind of fragrance (like M7, for instance). I love it.

Blog Entries

Obviously not for everyone, but it certainly has appeal for those with refined taste.
    ahhhh so it's for lovers of anaerobic bacteria! now i get it.

Narciso rocks. Dont be hatin'!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    That's what I was thinking?

This juice is great. I don't wear it anymore (no longer in my wardrobe) and I think it's a very love/hate kind of fragrance (like M7, for instance). I love it.
    I agree with you Mike - I was surprised such a scent engrounded with old school composition could be lanched in these days.

I've been following this love/hate relationship with NR for quite a while. It's intrigued me to the point that I've just made a blind buy from a fellow Australian basenoter. The Grey Flannel references got me, because I love that stuff desperately. By next weekend I should know which camp I belong in... hopefully the 'love camp'!

It does have a sharp opening. I love the stuff, but spray away from the nose e.g. lower chest as opposed to neck; this helps prevent the olfactory fatigue and in some people the headache that comes with it.
    NR for Him rocks!

I think NR is very modern and sexy as well. If you want to be spetial, kind of "I m here" man....NR is awesome.

Personally, I love it.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Narciso Rodriguez For Him. One of the very few fragrances I liked as soon as I tested it.
    Others I liked as quickly: CDG 2Man, Rive Gauche, Anteaus.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    ahhhh so it's for lovers of anaerobic bacteria! now i get it.
    Hey! them anaerobic bacteria can produce really tasty stuff.
    Last edited by irish; 23rd November 2008 at 03:36 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Haven't worn Grey Flannel in a long time...but I love NR. The violets bloom in a manly way...

HeWood reminds me more of Grey Flannel

Hey, what's up with all the HR bashing??! I'm one of those "small" men (as Tania Sachez described NR lovers), who appreciates its sharp green, cementy, musky notes.
    Go back to page 255: "small, cautious" refers to the mid and bottom notes following the screachy, metallic top. As to the wearers - "It's a well made fragrance for mean, forgettable people" :wave:
    Obviously not for everyone, but it certainly has appeal for those with refined taste.
    Illegitimate generalization. :brolly:
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Question Re: Narciso Rodriguez 'him'...Compliments in the most unexpected places

Sometimes I wear N.R. to my office. Its a strange thing with N.R.;I am not so very happy with it, but it seems people around me do;to many positive comments;its a tricky scent ;spray it on and it gives you a bit of a shock but soon it develops in something very special.Í have about 6 months experience with it;everytime the same story;shall I spray it or shall I not;and whe I spray its gonna be a day with compliments.Weird is'nt it?

This gives out a loud sillage but I just can't seem to stand what I smell...I think its the 'violets' in there that don't agree with me.....Besides I think that any scent that has an incredible sillage, is bound to elicit compliments.....Most people have a tendency to comment...'You smell good' when they can smell 'something' on you anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Go back to page 255: "small, cautious" refers to the mid and bottom notes following the screachy, metallic top. As to the wearers - "It's a well made fragrance for mean, forgettable people" :wave:
    I KNEW I should have checked the book and not relied on my creaky memory! Whatever it was she said, it was definitely not complimentary..

Illegitimate generalization. :brolly:
    But of course! That's what mean and forgettable people do!!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 23rd November 2008 at 12:15 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Grey Flannel and Narciso Rodriguez are both great ones. The NR drydown is a musk I love.

I have tried NR and Musc for Him parfum Oil by Narciso Rodriguez and prefer the oil much more (so much so I purchased an additional bottle for backup).

Hated it the first two times I tried it. But it subsequently has grown on me to the point where it is tolerable now. It is a nice scent, but I just can't imagine myself smelling like this very often.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

If I only use 3 sprays, it's perfect. Any more and it becomes irritating to me. Almost headache inducing.

I wore too much about a month ago and I still regret it. I'm glad it was on a Saturday when I was not at work.

With a light hand, it's a very nice and unique scent.

I received a bottle yesterday and tried it for the first time (thanks again Gupts!). Late afternoon, after work... wrong time of the day for me. However my first impressions were very positive. To me, after the initial blast, it reminds me quite strongly of Habit Rouge with a good dash of Grey Flannel (with the violets mysteriously and unpredictably blooming through it) and a touch of camphor. Weird, I don't recall anyone making any references to Habit Rouge... maybe it's just me... maybe I need more time with it.

did try this today with 4 others and am surprized how different and long it smells. It doesn´t changed much but was stronger at first. Will test it again & have it in my wishlist now.
    Last edited by sanatik; 22nd March 2009 at 06:26 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

So.. you finally discovered it! Glad you like it now. When the weather is a bit more chill.. its a perfect perfume.. so probally this one for tomorrow.
    unico grande amore.

I found it interesting but not really enjoyable. I think that my skin chemistry might have something to do with it. It never developed and soon became boring. I thought it would change quite a bit instead of not at all.

Ill try to get a sample of this at nordstrom
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    this stuff smells like bacterial cultures. seriously....i went to the microbiology department in our hospital the other day----and those agar plates growing bacteria smelled like this stuff.....gross!
    Haba, everso!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW you have made me decide to get a bottle. I have been pondering about it for a while, but your "review" has swung it for me.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I love narciso, my wife even bought me the limited edition bottle ( same juice ). I have three bottles of Narciso edt and four bottles of the musc, I just love the stuff. I usually spray it on my arms before I go to bed because to me it is comforting.

I love this one. It's the latest addition to my wardrobe.
    I have a generous sample of the musc oil and like it but it sits too close to the skin for me to pay the prohibitively high price. Still, I wish I could afford it.
    But the EDT, no question...

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote:
    Originally Posted by everso
    Haba, everso!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW you have made me decide to get a bottle. I have been pondering about it for a while, but your "review" has swung it for me.

Bought a bottle yesterday, and have tested it over the last 30 hours. One word: Beautiful.

I need to start out by saying that i have learned a valuable lesson to evaluate Reviews rather than try to "average out" the thoughts and opinions of threads such as this (i humbly duck all implements deservedly flung my way ).

Yes, the similarity to Grey Flannel is there. JUST there. Both scents are totally different interpretations of violet leaf. Grey flannel (from past use of 2 bottles) packs a round-house violet punch while NR tries to talk itself out in dulcet tones.

I got the wet cement, bacterial culture takes also. There is something earthy and slightly dirty in NR. Could it be the interplay between the musk and patchouli?

My greatest surprise was the "headache-inducing" opinions which made me approach NR with some masochistic foreboding. Headache? How could it be caused? Okay, i need to disclose that i am a powerhouse-frag junkie. However, NR is relatively mellow on first sniff. Good sillage, but discrete at the same time. It will not cause respiratory emergencies in an elevator. Rather, compliments may fly and addresses may be exchanged. Decent longevity as well.

I can go on and on but, in summary, NR appears to be much maligned in Basenotes threads. Everyone should sample NR open-mindedly. It appears to be a scent that chooses its friends.

Thumbs up!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I didn't like mine. I'll sell my bottle if anyone is interested lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    did try this today with 4 others and am surprized how different and long it smells. It doesn´t changed much but was stronger at first. Will test it again & have it in my wishlist now.
    Today i could test and liked it again as soon as I tested it.

I am smelling my wrist after 6 hours, i like it a lot and want to buy "for him".
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."