Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Guess the fragrance from the notes and win a little of it. Part Three

Please do not use search engines. But, if you can't help yourself, just let me know privately what you found with help and disqualify yourself from the silly little prize.

Whoever guesses the fragrance first without help wins a 5ml spray of it. Make as many guesses as you want.

I'll try to make this a really quick contest by periodically posting hints.

Here's the notes:

Mocha, cardamom, spices, galbanum, olibanum, cedar and sandalwood.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 23rd November 2008 at 01:50 AM.

Default Re: Guess the fragrance from the notes and win a wee decant of it. rop

Bulgari Omnia? but I don't think it has mocha or olibanum or galbanum in it. . .
    Last edited by Aiona; 22nd November 2008 at 07:17 PM.

Angel Men Pure Coffee

I'm just basing it on the mocha tbh
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

It's not Omni or Angel Pure Men Coffee. Those are great guesses though.

Hint #1: the line purportedly uses "natural" ingredients.

Hint #2 ~ it's a German niche line

I was going to say Artemisia by Penhaligon's until you dropped the German hint... hmmm.....

Hint #3 ~ the perfumer is Roland Tentunian

Shoot - the only German line I know is Biehl Parfumkunstwerke, but since I can't cheat, I don't know which, if any, would be the one.

Well, I wouldn't have a clue without cheating, but the notes sounds delicious!

Yep, I am thinking of Biehl Parfumkunstwerke, too. Probably one I don't have a sample of, because those notes don't sound familiar. I'm going to guess MB01 - that's a guess though and if I've gotten it right it's only an accident.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Oops it can't be - the perfumer's name doesn't fit. In fact it's not BK is it? Darn.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I was going to say Artemisia by Penhaligon's until you dropped the German hint... hmmm.....
    It isn't nearly as pretty as Artemesia. This is darker ~ more resinous, spicy and masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    Oops it can't be - the perfumer's name doesn't fit. In fact it's not BK is it? Darn.

No, as I'm wearing it, I'm starting to get some smoke from it.

Hint #4 ~ LuckyScent used to carry this line, but doesn't any longer. They were on the clearance page for a while.

This may have been too arcane a choice. Go ahead and use whatever helps you like.

Someone told me that Florascent is a German house. But the only thing of theirs I've tried is Du Soleil, which has none of those notes.

Ksar?

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Ksar?
    I'd say you are correct.

Aiona, I'm thinkin' that you're the winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Ksar?
    Ding ding ding!! We have a winnah!!!

Default Re: Guess the fragrance from the notes and win a little of it. rop

Heh! I've never won anything in a contest before. (Not even the jello-eating contest.) For this reason, I never gamble when I go to Vegas.

I have a little sample of something I've not talked about on the forums. It's really a VERY LITTLE sample. But, here are the notes:

lime, fig, cedar, coconut

A lot of places say there's cedar in it, but I don't smell it. If you can guess the fragrance name and the house, I'll send this little bitty sample to you. (I don't mind if one uses web searches.)
    Last edited by Aiona; 23rd November 2008 at 12:28 AM.

I'm thinking it mught be by Neil Morris

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I'm thinking it mught be by Neil Morris
    Neil Morris has a fig scent? I didn't know that. But nope, this one is not by Neil Morris.

Default Re: Guess the fragrance from the notes and win a little of it. Part Two rop

I think he has at least scent with fig in it, but since I have such a poor memory, I'm probably wrong.

Default Re: Guess the fragrance from the notes and win a little of it. Part Two rop

According to his website, Coral and Midnight Flower both have a fig note. There might be others. But the one that I have is really almost a straight fig, or so reviews have said. There is no website for this perfume manufacturer that I can find! So, I don't have the notes from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

I also don't see it talked about much. I only see bottles for sale at Lucky Scent and Aedes. TPC and Scented Monkey don't seem to have it.
    Last edited by Aiona; 23rd November 2008 at 12:02 AM.

Is it that new Jo Malone? I think it had those in it... I will have to look back through the blogs I read...

Not Jo Malone. (That's another fig scent I haven't tried yet!)
    But you are on the right track in that the house name is the same as the nose, or at least as far as I can tell, because I can't find it listed ANYWHERE who the nose of this fragrance is.

And I did *FINALLY* find a website. On the website, notes listed are as follows:

"Fig essence does not in fact exist for the perfumer, so notes of fresh grass, green tea, melon, hay, white musk and cedar combine to create this deceptively simple 'mono note' scent.

Top: fresh grass, rhubarb
    Heart: fig leaf, white tea
    Base: white cedar, dry grass"

They don't list coconut, but I swear I smell some in there.
    First edition came out in 2004.
    (Basenotes doesn't list the year it came out, but the manufacturer website does.)
    Last edited by Aiona; 23rd November 2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: added more hints

Is it Heeley EAU DE FIGUIER???
    Last edited by Haunani; 23rd November 2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: typo

BINGO!!

Yup! It's Heeley's fig scent.

By the way, what does "rop" stand for?

Read On Please. It indicates there is more to read below.

Congratulations Haunani!
    Last edited by socalwoman; 23rd November 2008 at 12:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Here's the notes:

Mocha, cardamom, spices, galbanum, olibanum, cedar and sandalwood.
    Hint #1: the line purportedly uses "natural" ingredients.
    I was going to guess Creed Royal Fleur de Original Pure Coffee, but I guess that wouldn't have won even if it existed!

Just want to say that this looks like a great game - and very educational, too. I think niche-hounds who have had to wade through a lot of research will be rewarded for their effort.

Hooray, I won! That fragrance sounds intriguing. Thanks, Aiona, for the opportunity to try it!

OK, it's my turn. Here's another for those interested in figs. I will mail the winner a sample of the fragrance.

Hint #1: It's a fig-based fragrance that was created by a member of an American wine-making family.

The only perfumeur I could find who used to be into wine-making (and still is) is Ginestet. But couldn't find any fig fragrances! I agree, RP, that I'm learning some interesting things about 'fumes this way.

(thanks for explaining the 'rop', socalwoman)
    Last edited by Aiona; 23rd November 2008 at 01:29 AM.

I'm supposed to give you some notes, so see Hint #2!

Hint #1: It's a fig-based fragrance that was created by a member of an American wine-making family.

Hint #2: Two of the notes are fig and honeysuckle.
    Last edited by Haunani; 23rd November 2008 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I was going to guess Creed Royal Fleur de Original Pure Coffee, but I guess that wouldn't have won even if it existed!

Just want to say that this looks like a great game - and very educational, too. I think niche-hounds who have had to wade through a lot of research will be rewarded for their effort.
    Thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I'm supposed to give you some notes, so see Hint #2!

I don't have a clue, so I disqualified myself and googled "gallo" and "perfume"...

Ernie Gallo's Fragrance Abuse Clinic - Basenotes Community
    A home for those who feel they are spending too much time and money on their fragrant hobby.
    Serious posts only.
    community.basenotes.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12 - 57k - Cached - Similar pages

I give up. There is no escape. I'm getting a glass of wine and a good schpritz of something!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I don't have a clue, so I disqualified myself and googled "gallo" and "perfume"...

Ernie Gallo's Fragrance Abuse Clinic - Basenotes Community
    A home for those who feel they are spending too much time and money on their fragrant hobby.
    Serious posts only.
    community.basenotes.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12 - 57k - Cached - Similar pages

I give up. There is no escape. I'm getting a glass of wine and a good schpritz of something!
    Cheers, RP, and thanks for the laugh!

Default Re: Guess the fragrance from the notes and win a little of it. Part Three

This one is hard, I guess...

Hint #3: There are two woods listed as notes; one is oak.

Using the web is OK.

Default Re: Guess the fragrance from the notes and win a little of it. Part Three

Napa Valley Cielo

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    Napa Valley Cielo
    I bet you're right!!

We've got a winner! Congratulations to Alicka61!!!

New puzzle. With a little twist. Guess *both* the name of the fragrance and the nose for this fragrance.

orange, geranium, nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper, clove, rose, cedar, patchouli, sandalwood

Blog Entries

I'm almost positive I know the name of the fragrance (I've been lemming after it for a while thanks to its mention in a review of one of my very favorite scents), but I can't remember the nose, unless it's the same fellow who created what I wore weekend before last (a honeyed muguet) from this house. Maybe this guy does all their scents, the way that JCE does all the Hermes these days. Of course, if it is him, I can't spell his name without looking it up anyway!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Due to an impulse control deficit, I googled it. *Hangs head in shame*

I was sure I knew what it was but the name was on the tip of my tongue. I was dead wrong!

Only thing that comes to mind without a search is TDC Rose Poivree by Jean Claude Ellena.

Oh, it's okay to Google!!!! Does that make it easier?? Please Google! This thing is burning a hole in my wardrobe, and I'm anxious to send it to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Only thing that comes to mind without a search is TDC Rose Poivree by Jean Claude Ellena.
    Not Rose Poivree, Asha! But close! Along the same lines!
    Last edited by Aiona; 20th January 2009 at 02:52 AM.

Noir Epices for Malle by Michel Roudniska

Bingo!

Yes, the answer is Noir Epices by Michel Roudnitska.
    Spicy!

Blog Entries

Ha, ha! Yes! Nukapai mentions Noir Epices in her review of Chaos as something Chaos lovers might like. And I had Edward Roudnitska in my head (which I see now is actually Edmond), but it turns out the nose of the fragrance I wore last weekend was actually Edouard Flechier (Lys Méditerranée). So, I'm all confused about my noses and wouldn't have gotten that far!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I guess it's my turn now...eh?

Whoever guesses this one will receive a partial mini bottle (a little more than half remaining from the original 8ml).

Notes: mandarin, orange blossom, galbanum, iris, incense, benzoin, cedar, lentisc and vetiver

Here are a couple of hints to prevent googling:
    1) it is a fairly new release
    2) it is a mainstream fragrance

Prada Infusion d'Iris???

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    but it turns out the nose of the fragrance I wore last weekend was actually Edouard Flechier (Lys Méditerranée).
    Oo! This is the guy who made Montana Parfum d'Homme, right?

As for the puzzle, that sounds right, arwen_elf! What kind of "incense" is in Prada Infusion d'Iris? Frankincense?

Arwen Elf, you are correct--good job right off the bat! Please PM me your address

I hope I didn't make the puzzle less fun if it was too easy.... :/
    Last edited by Asha; 20th January 2009 at 02:14 PM.

OK, it is my turn now...
    This perfume is niche, has fig, and I have only seen it at Luckyscent. What is it?

Satellite A La Figue!?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Satellite A La Figue!?
    Indeed!!!

Please PM your info, so I can send you a sample.

Yay! Educated guessing pays off.

Right ho, my turn:
    Notes of bergamot, peach, orange blossom, galbanum, oakmoss, jasmine, rose, ylang ylang, heliotrope, patchouli, amber, leather, vetiver, cedar, sandalwood, benzoin and vanilla.

Whoever guesses right will receive a spray sample with about 3ml of this scent.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams