Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Guess the fragrance from the notes and win a little of it. Part Three

I was so intrigued, I thought and thought and sniffed and sniffed and then finally cheated!!!!!!

So I will not say what I found, because I want to give more honorable players a chance to to play, but good one, Veuve!!!!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Default Re: Guess the fragrance from the notes and win a little of it. Part Three

Mmmm, that sounds really yummy!

Hint time!

This venerable house straddles the niche/designer gap, I think. It's neither, really.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

uhm... peach, oakmoss and vetiver with bergamot opening and vanilla trail in the end sounds like a Guerlain classic chypre or better THE chypre: I'd say Mitsouko. Plus Guerlain fits the bill also about the house hint being borderline to niche with its exclusive releases.

It does sound like Mitsouko, but it isn't!
    Another hint:
    The original bottle was by Lalique.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

It is the Lady of Havana, originally formulated to scent cigarettes-- Habanita! She is on my wish list. I have been watching her on ebay. I, stupidly, passed up an empty vintage Lalique bottle a few weeks ago and have been searching ever since.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

I thought of Guerlain right away, and then of Mitsouko too--except for the patchouli....it just didn't fit... so then I cheated...and I will say no more...
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 21st January 2009 at 04:29 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Habanita it is! Sens me your info and it'll make its way to you, analavande!

Douglas Adams

THANK YOU VEUVE AMIOT!

We recognize and we know what we truly love. If ANYONE loves this 'sweet lady' he/she will recognize her notes:
    Peach, Plum, Cassie, Tagete, Green notes, Coriander, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, Tuberose, Jasmin, Heliotrope, Orris, Carnation ,Cedar, Vetiver, Musk, Tonka Bean, Amber, Vanilla, Civet.

Reward will be your choice of 3-5 ml decant.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

From the notes it sounds like a classic lady's scent with big fruity opening, dense floral heart and a musky-powdery oriental drydown in the vein of Rochas Femme...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    From the notes it sounds like a classic lady's scent with big fruity opening, dense floral heart and a musky-powdery oriental drydown in the vein of Rochas Femme...
    I'm not sure if the frag is considered a classic but, the house is definitely a classic.

Ps Sorry for slow response. I was away all day yesterday.

I am not sure I should try to guess since I did so recently...

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I am not sure I should try to guess since I did so recently...
    Please do, as no one else seems to be interested. Perhaps it is something that you would like.

OK My first guess, based on hints you gave and the notes listed is Chanel Coco Mademoiselle.

OK My first guess, based on hints you gave and the notes listed is Chanel Coco Mademoiselle.
    That is a beauty that I would love to add to my collection, but that is not it.

Here is Coco Mademoiselle:
    Orange, Bergamot, Grapefruit.Litchi, Rose, Italian Jasmine.Indonesian Patchouli, Haitian Vetiver, Bourbon Vanilla, White Musk.

Here is my lady.
    Peach, Plum, Cassie, Tagete, Green notes, Coriander, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, Tuberose, Jasmin, Heliotrope, Orris, Carnation ,Cedar, Vetiver, Musk, Tonka Bean, Amber, Vanilla, Civet.
    Like Coco she is a mademoiselle fragrance in her house and not madame.

Gotta pick up DH at O'Hare and have dinner so I won't be back until late. Keep guessing, you seem to be very close...

OK analavande! My second guess is...

YSL Elle

Asha, you are still on the right track. YSL Elle is not our mademoiselle. Think of a smaller house.

I'm out the door now. I will check back with you much later. Good guessing.

Hmm. I am groping now...lol.

Would love if it were Miss Balmain, but perhaps that is really a classic, which you said it is not

Hmm. I am groping now...lol.

Would love if it were Miss Balmain, but perhaps that is really a classic, which you said it is not
    This mademoiselle is more contemporary with respect to her release. She is less than 20 years old.

Groping some more...Annick Goutal Petite Cherie. AG is a smallish house, and Petite Cherie is probably within 20 years.

I'm running out of ideas!

I am watching this with amazement, because I have no clues! Go, Asha!

Good morning! Okay Asha and Aiona. Here is a hint that I think will give this away.
    This fragrance is the little sister of a leather diva that turned 50 years old this year.

I really don't know, lol!

My only guess with the new clue would be Hermes Kelly Caleche...but I think Hermes is such a big house, I don't think it is right.

Caline?

Socalwoman is in 'the house'! I hear a drum roll!

Cabotine? If it's that one, I've been wanting to try it!!!

......HAUNANI JUMPS IN AT THE LAST MOMENT AND SNATCHES THE PROMISED PRIZE...HER CHOICE OF 3-5ML SAMPLE OF CABOTINE ! ! !

I will send ALL participants (Asha, Aiona, socalwoman) a 1ml sample if they wish. You ladies know what to do next. I gotta run out and find some more vials. That was fun! Thanks for participating.

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    ......HAUNANI JUMPS IN AT THE LAST MOMENT AND SNATCHES THE PROMISED PRIZE...HER CHOICE OF 3-5ML SAMPLE OF CABOTINE ! ! !

I will send ALL participants (Asha, Aiona, socalwoman) a 1ml sample if they wish. You ladies know what to do next. I gotta run out and find some more vials. That was fun! Thanks for participating.
    Hooray! I would not have had a clue but for socalwoman's hint (thanks!). It sounds like an interesting fragrance. I'm sure that the smaller sample will be plenty for me. Looking forward, and thank you, analavande!

Woohoo! Congrats Haunani!!

Cabotine participants, don't for get to PM your info so I can send your samples.

OK, it looks like it's my turn to share something. The first person to guess this fragrance will receive a 2.5 ml. atomizer full of it.

This fragrance is from France, and the listed notes are Green Notes, Iris, Violets, and White Musk. An unusual feature of this fragrance is that its name includes the name of a flower that is not found among the notes. Interesting, huh?

Oh those sneaky Green Notes

Is it Le Pot Aux Roses by Stephanie de Saint-Aignan?

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Is it Le Pot Aux Roses by Stephanie de Saint-Aignan?
    It is! I was just about to post another clue, as I realized this was a hard one. Would you like to try some of it? Just send me your mailing address!

For those who are interested, you might check out this review:

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...-de-saint.html

The reviewer compares this fragrance to Lipstick Rose and Drole de Rose, neither of which I like. I do find Le Pot Aux Roses to be very pretty, though.

There is also a comment from a "Donald" later on the page that explains about the "no roses" thing. It's interesting!

Yay! I have a bottle, so no need to send any but I thank you very much .

I'll post the clues for a another fragrance tomorrow morning...

Yay! I have a bottle, so no need to send any but I thank you very much .

I'll post the clues for a another fragrance tomorrow morning...
    Great! I'm curious - do you like Lipstick Rose and Drole de Rose, too? I suppose they are similar, but they didn't appeal to me like "Pot" does.

I love Lipstick Rose but I don't remember trying Drole de Rose. Le Pot Aux Roses seems more powdery and much softer. It's the kind of thing you could wear every day. Lipstick Rose needs a little time between wearings in my opinion. I want to say that both are utterly femine. They are, but I think a man could wear them if he wanted.

Gerald gave me samples of Le Pot Aux Roses and Berberiades as extras in a package he sent to me. At that time, the line wasn't available in the US and I went crazy trying to get bottles of both fragrances. I was really obsessed. I called several niche fragrance sellers and begged them to bring the line here. Finally, a MUA member who lives in Europe agreed to get some for me during a her holiday in Paris.

By the way, tomorrow's game will feature a unisex fragrance. I hope we get some more competitors from the gentlemen's side.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 3rd February 2009 at 06:09 AM. Reason: added teaser

I will make a small decant of this fragrance for the person who can identify the fragrance from these notes:

orange, lemon, lavender, black tea and sandalwood

Clue: Italian

Bois 1920 Agrumi di Sicilia? (did I spell it right?)

No Asha, it isn't from Bois 1920.

Here's another clue: the perfumer is a woman

Hmmm. Bulgari Black? That is the only other Italian house I know that features tea prominently, and I know BB is made by Annick Menardo.

No, it isn't from Bulgari.

The nose is also Italian.

The only Italian nose I can think of offhand is Olivia Giacobetti, but I do not know of any Italian houses that have her fragrances.... :P

There is a Laura Tonnato. Is she a perfumer or a designer? I wouldn't know without googling...

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    There is a Laura Tonnato. Is she a perfumer or a designer? I wouldn't know without googling...
    Laura "The Italian Nose" Tonatto it is! There's an interesting article about her here: http://www.lifeinitaly.com/beauty/tonatto.asp

The unisex fragrance in question was created by her but is not mentioned in the article. It was released in 2000.

Go ahead and use search engines.

Blog Entries

Anena?

Oh goody! I think it's this one, then, found on the Luscious Cargo website:

Sandalo per Teti - orange, lemon, floral notes, lavender, black tea, woods, sandalwood

This must be the one???

The other fragrances sounds yummy, too. Thanks for the article, too. I will check it out after dinner!

P.S. I see I spelled her name wrong. Tonnato is tuna in Italian, I think. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by exquisitely me View Post
    Anena?
    No, but it is in the same house as Anena: Laura Tonatto.

Blog Entries

No, but it is in the same house as Anena: Laura Tonatto.
    If it isn't Anena, or Sandalo Per Teti (as Haunani suggested), then I'm completely stumped.

That's probably for the best, since I realized too late that I don't even own enough perfume to keep the game going. Just eight little half empty vials, and basics at that. With all the massive wardrobes, I think everybody already has mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Oh goody! I think it's this one, then, found on the Luscious Cargo website:

Sandalo per Teti - orange, lemon, floral notes, lavender, black tea, woods, sandalwood

This must be the one???

The other fragrances sounds yummy, too. Thanks for the article, too. I will check it out after dinner!

P.S. I see I spelled her name wrong. Tonnato is tuna in Italian, I think. :-)
    Yay! You win!! Please send me your address and I'll pop a decant in the mail.

exquisitely me, there is actually no rule about the winner needing to be the next one to give a puzzle. It is just one way to keep the game going

Anyway, no reason to feel bad about a small wardrobe--mine is not the smallest around, but it pales in comparison to some I have seen. Having alot of FB's is not a measure of your ability to participate here or on other discussions!

exquisitely me, there is actually no rule about the winner needing to be the next one to give a puzzle. It is just one way to keep the game going

Anyway, no reason to feel bad about a small wardrobe--mine is not the smallest around, but it pales in comparison to some I have seen. Having alot of FB's is not a measure of your ability to participate here or on other discussions!
    Very well put Asha .

Very well put Asha .
    Agreed, and thank God for that. The learning opportunities are endless here, and the people are so very fine!

Blog Entries

Thanks Asha. Me and my eight little vials will keep on sniffin' and keep on postin' :brolly:

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    We recognize and we know what we truly love.
    I thought I might revive this thread because I have some small samples (2-3 ml) of some scents, and they're languishing away here not being used! Guess them, and I'll send them to you (no cost):

First one: Perfumer is the owner (House and Nose are the same)
    Notes given by website: incense, aromatic woods, culinary spices
    My impressions: Definitely incense, in fact predominantly incense

(I don't mind if you Google.)
    Last edited by Aiona; 10th March 2011 at 12:02 PM.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Basenotes Plus

Hindu Kush by Profumo.it?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Oh, Oh! These notes sound só good!
    But I can't think of anything! This contest is way over my head!

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Perfume Boy View Post
    Hindu Kush by Profumo.it?
    BINGO!!!

PM me where to mail it.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Banned

Why is this game thread dead? It sounds like fun!