Code of Conduct

Default Two new Montale, no Black Aoud. Help please Gentlemen

Hi all.

I m going to order two Montale very soon, blind - or almost blind.

I ve tried quite a few with samples but it was like 15 month ago and i don t really remember precisely, and also my tastes have changed since then, 15 month ago was the very beginning of my fragrance passion.

I own Black Aoud, and love it. It is now almost empty, but i ll buy it again later, now I want some new stuff.

Do you guys know well the others montale and can gimme precious advices ?

Roses don t bother me since my Black Aoud is amost empty.

I ve heard Attar, Red vetyver, Blue amber, are great. Any opinion on theses ones or on others ?

What about the 3 new ? (Shiny, silver and crystal ?)

Hope you ll be able to help me
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Default Re: Two new Montale, no Black Aoud. Help please Gentlemen

The Montale's I enjoy full bottles of besides Black Aoud are:

Aoud Flowers
    Aromatic Lime
    Red Vetyver
    Sliver Aoud

Montale Attar, Aoud Rose petals, Black Aoud, Damascus - They all revolve around 'Aoud & Roses'. I personally like Black Aoud amongst all these.

My favorite of the Montale line has to be 'Aoud Lime'. There isn't anything quite like this. The beauty of this is that it can be worn both in summer and winter, with equal ease. Longevity of most Montale's is unquestionable and this one lasts forever. I love the break Aoud Lime gives from the overdose of Roses & Aoud that most Montales play upon.

Blue Amber and Red Vetyver are both winners. Another you may wish to try is Greyland. I like Auod Damascus but for me I think Black Aoud is a more well crafted fragrance. I would suggest sampling AD before buying.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Fruits of the Musk and Aoud Leather Lime are great.

It really depends on what you're really looking for in these two Montales. Are there any preferences you care to share with us?

In a nutshell, here are my recommendations:

Aoud line:

Aoud Lime (less rose, more aoud and more potent)
    Aoud Flowers (floral and woody mix with honey and incense - very distinctive)
    Aoud Cuir d'Arabie (a sexy, but short-lived, leather scent once the barnyard opening settles down)
    Red Aoud (a confused but complex gourmand aoud)

Non-aoud line:

Blue Amber (best amber scent, so far)
    Red Vetyver (similar to Hermes' Vetiver Tonka but richer and more tenacious)
    Sweet Oriental Dream (a feminine cherry/almond/vanilla flavoured gourmand)
    Patchouli Leaves (patchouli and amber but smells very similar to Tauer's L'Air during the drydown)

With regards to the new Montale releases, apart from Red Vetyver, they've been largely disappointing.
    Last edited by Trebor; 24th November 2008 at 09:48 AM.

Thx for the very interesting replies.

Trebor I read all your reviews, omg you ve done a lot of the Montale line. If you own all you have written about you are quite a lucky man

About my preferences i m quite open, have already a growing collection of ~ 50 frags, but i LOVE what i tried month ago of the Montale line. I just have to say that for me Longevity and sillage are very important. Knowing that this is one of the strenghts of the Montale line, i would not chose one who has not decent projection and sillage . (bye bye Cuir d'Arabit i guess..)

So far i think i m gonna order 3 instead of 2 ^^ , and unfortunately for various reasons i can t sample, because i have to buy it quick and online.

I have samples arriving though in 2 weeks, but i have to order the full bottles within the next few days.

Blue Amber seems amazing.

i ll take one with lime too, although i m not too fond of it since i have already quite a few fresh citrus ones, none of them are aoud though. And many of you seem to enjoy Aoud lime and/or leather lime.

Aoud lime would probably the one I would pick to start with the "lime",

Aoud Flowers seems great as well according to both of your recommandations.

Regarding strong roses notes, i think i would go for now with Attar if i pick one with rose.

Surreality also made me want to test Greyland, i ve another friend who told me that it s a keeper.

According to your answers and to the reviews i ve read here i guess so far i would go with :

Blue Amber
    Aoud Lime
    Aoud Flowers
    Attar.

Damn that s 4, i ll have to forget one. can t do it right now, too hard.

Also, Red Aoud seems very very nice... Damn it.

Open to any further suggestion too !
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I think the regular Montale's are very uneven and not safe blind buys. Patchouli Leaves is excellent & very powerful, but I found Greyland, Wood&Spices, Soleil de Capri pretty awful - smelled like overpriced drugstore scents to me.

My favorite from the Oud line is Royal Oud. Great Rose, well balanced with the Oud. You won't like Damascus, too subtle. I found Lime pretty awful, but it's popular around here. Attar didn't do much for me either, but Red Oud is a surprisingly good gourmand. Ultimately, if it's about rose, I'd always choose C&S No. 88, Hammam Bouquet, and Washington Tremlett Black Tie over Montales, but that's just me.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 24th November 2008 at 11:12 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

if yuo would liek ot continue with one from the Aoud line then nothing beats Aoud Lime. it's the second best in the Aoud line after BA. i feel it has much more precious feel to it's Oudh..i get a feeling you wil lenjoy it more than BA.

Second as you already figured, Blue Amber....god damn luxury it is...Enjoy!

the others from Oudh line tht i feel are FBW for me is

Sandal Sliver (sweet rose gukhand+sandalwood)
    Fougeres Marine (fesh, fern based crystal clear scent)
    Musk to Musk (lovely musk and woody notes)
    White Musk (very simple talcum powdery musk)