Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Scents" of place - which scent recalls a geographic place for you?

I was lucky enough to be on a cruise this past week. One of the ports was Ensenada, and my friend and I decided to take a winery tour of the Calafia Valley.

At one of the stops, the tour guide suggested we get our hands on some guavas, growing and on the ground nearby. "Hmmmm, what do guavas smell like?" I thought. I knew they were tropical, but wasn't sure how they were different from, say, papayas. I was looking forward to sniffing one as a reference for fragrances.

Oh my. Guavas turn out to have an unforgettable, intriguing, and very strong scent. I wish I could describe it better, but the best I can do is that it smells like a cross of various citrus fruits, but sharper, yet with the sweetness of papaya, and a hint of mango.

I then noticed that scent in the air, mingled with smoke (from a recent fire) and brush, much like chaparral. It was beautiful and will forever remind me of Baja California.

What scents remind you of which placees?
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Default Re: "Scents" of place - which scent recalls a geographic place for you?

Guava smell reminds me of Goma nearby the Kivu Lake in West Africa. I was about 3 or 4 years old.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

One of my strongest scent memories is connected to Peru. Camp fires and gasoline tend to remind me of there; I have never been anywhere where the are was so pervaded by that smell.

I also have an actual fragrance that reminded me vividly of Cusco, Peru: oddly enough, it's Ava Luxe Loukhoum, named after Turkish Delight. It's actually in my notes as being the first impression of that particular scnet. I can't quite put a finger on what exactly reminds me of there, probably a mixture of bakery treats overflowing with dulce de leche and those horribly synthetic mazamorra morada and jellies that are sold on the streets.

Sweet, candied rose fragrances always remind me of my mother's friend who babysat me. She gave me a rose scented bath oil at one point, and I treasured it.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Le Nez Let me Play the Lion reminds me of the smell in the air in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Gorgeous dry sagebrush and mesquite wood. The only other frag that comes close is Divine L'Homme Sage, but it is not quite so dry.

Saffron James LE'A, which has notes of two different plumeria varieties, reminds me of arriving at the Honolulu airport, returning home from college for vacations, and seeing my parents waiting at the gate with a lei for me. LE'A is very faithful to the real thing.

Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely thread.
    Freshly cut grass always reminds me of the year I spent in Kentucky with my family when I was 11.
    The smell of the sea mixed with oil and petrol in ports reminds me of my home in Croatia.
    I haven't found fragrances that remind me of these scents yet :-)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bond No. 9 Little Italy reminds me of a place I visited in Africa where many tangerine trees had been planted and the air was full of the scent.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As Frenchie said: Lovely thread.

Creosote: Standing in line to ride a wooden roller coaster (American Eagle, Six Flags, Gurnee, Ill.) for the first time. I'd smelled creosote before, but anticipation of the new experience heightened my senses and made a "memory stamp."

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

CdG Sequoia brings to mind camping trips in Sequoia National Forest with my family when I was a little girl.

Post Thanks / Like

Philosykos reminded me of the hammam in marrakech I visited, all is missing is a bit of rose.

Rose + fig is the scent of an hammam, and arabie does not smell like the soukhs.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Clove always reminds me of Indonesia. When I travelled there, men used to smoke cigs that had clove in them, so you could smell it anywhere (I wonder if this is still so?)

Post Thanks / Like

I literally grew up in an orange grove and the smell of orange blossoms is such a huge memory inducer for me. The closest to getting it right was L'artisan's rare harvest because you get the spiciness in the top notes but the sweetness of the blossom is overpowering and it dissappears entirely into a powdery flower bomb in the drydown.

I was so dissapointed, but the first 5 minutes is almost magical.
    Looking for small decants
    * Frederic Malle En Passant, Parfum de Thérèse * Serge Lutens Bois Oriental, Borneo1834, Douce Amère, Gris Clair, Rousse, Santal de Mysore

Post Thanks / Like

I would love someone to bottle the smell of the English countryside at night - that heavy, vegetal scent. And when you open the bottle it emits a little hedgehog-snuffling sound!

There's also a certain kind of wood (don't know what) that people burn in the fall in Somerset, the smell itself has a weird puke-like note, but wherever I am in the world, if I smell that it makes me think of walking down a narrow lane in Somerset in autumn. Sigh.

Diesel exhaust fumes = London (those buses!).

Montreal smells of restaurants, mixed perfumes/beauty products and alcohol. Might not sound nice but I like it.

Agreed, this is an awesome thread.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Anais Anais - spending June of 1986 in Toronto and being twenty one. A fabulous time.

Versace Jeans Couture Woman - Costa De La Luz, Spain. A bright, shimmering fragrance worn in Spain's sparkling coast of light.

Fog rolling through the eucalyptus branches - a tangy, haunting mix of sharp/salt/wet. That's San Francisco.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse reminds me of the orange trees in central Spain

Post Thanks / Like

The spicey clove smell of Pinks reminds me of being 5 and my grandma's garden.

Post Thanks / Like

Feminite du Bois reminds me of Girl Guide camps in the Norfolk countryside.
    The smoky, bonfire smell and the forest above.

Another scent that takes me to a place is Dyptique's Un Jardin Clos.
    It smells of a country garden I used to visit ( near Norwich) in the Spring.

Diesel exhaust reminds me of being out on the water in Palm Beach on the small dive/spearfishing charter when I speared my first fish.
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

Quadrille (Balenciaga) brings back a flood of memories of one December spent in a tiny Spanish coastal town. Believe me when I say it can and does snow on the Meditterranean, however briefly and infrequently.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 25th November 2008 at 04:00 PM.

Diesel + my Diorissimo = Cairo
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of anything, but I wish someone could bottle the smell of new mexico rain, it's amazing. China rain is nice, close, but not quite it. I also get a great anise sort of smell when I walk outside at night sometimes, someone needs to bottle that, too.

Asha, I'll have to try Let me play the lion. Santa fe certainly does have it's own scents, for some reason they are more prominent that anywhere else I've been, maybe because there is always just a tiny bit of breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Fog rolling through the eucalyptus branches - a tangy, haunting mix of sharp/salt/wet. That's San Francisco.
    Oh, I love that smell! Wish that could be had in a bottle!

Me too, Haunani!

It's interesting how many responses to this thread mention diesel exhaust. Not a pretty smell but a memorable one. For me diesel exhaust brings back all the cool old Benzes used as taxi cabs in Europe and other locales.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 26th November 2008 at 12:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Originally Posted by Jardanel

Oh, I love that smell! Wish that could be had in a bottle!
    I know exactly the smell but that isn't what the Haight smelled like when I lived there

Damp eucalyptus, mildew, and cedarwood with a salt tang - Ft Mason

Damp eucalyptus, mildew, dirt and a smidge of that mushroom accord that people use to invoke an old library scent - That smell to me means the Stanford main campus. I only get to sniff it on the weekends now **sigh**
    Looking for small decants
    * Frederic Malle En Passant, Parfum de Thérèse * Serge Lutens Bois Oriental, Borneo1834, Douce Amère, Gris Clair, Rousse, Santal de Mysore

Post Thanks / Like

EL PC Tuberose Gardenia and Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile EDT - the Paris Metro (I wore these to fortify myself for the commute).

Hugo Boss Femme - the Christmas market in Dusseldorf, 2006.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 28th November 2008 at 09:07 AM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Renngrrl View Post
    I know exactly the smell but that isn't what the Haight smelled like when I lived there

Damp eucalyptus, mildew, and cedarwood with a salt tang - Ft Mason

Damp eucalyptus, mildew, dirt and a smidge of that mushroom accord that people use to invoke an old library scent - That smell to me means the Stanford main campus. I only get to sniff it on the weekends now **sigh**
    Interesting associations, Renngirl! I never lived in the city, but have certainly visited it a lot. My fondness is for the OUTDOORS smell of eucalyptus and salty air. Much as I love books, I don't frequent used book stores (or antique shops, for that matter) because that mildew/old stuff smell is quite unpleasant to my nose.
    Last edited by Haunani; 28th November 2008 at 04:42 PM.

Morning Star

Post Thanks / Like

Profumum Acqua di Sale reminds me of walking along the beach on the South coast of Maine.
    The high price of the fragrance never even registered with me, since I love those beaches so much.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 29th November 2008 at 09:58 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitsouko reminds me of London,walking through Green Park ,travelling on the tube to work in rush hour in the morning , Knightsbridge and Kensington. I lived in London for many years.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 3rd December 2008 at 09:25 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Une Fleur de Cassie is the south of France, and every memory of life there ( Aix, Avignon, Nice, Cassis) is triggered by this fragrance, even though it did not exist when i loved in these places.

Poison is the scent women in Paris in 1986.

Post Thanks / Like

Paco Rabanne Cologne reminds me of Madiera.