Code of Conduct

Default Divine's new L'tre Aim

I got a letter in the mail from Divine today. Apparantly they have just released a new duo: L'tre Aim homme and femme. Couldn't find any posts about it yet, so here it is.

The letter/press release says they're both based around the everlasting flower (immortelle). "One, feminine, flowery, sun-filled and joyous ; the other, masculine, lively, aromatic, woody and boldly spiced." More on that can be found here.

It came with a little sprayed card of the homme and I must say it smells rather good. Some woody Divine house notes and a distinct immortelle note. Hard to tell much more from it but I'd like to try the actual juice.

Anyone else who got to try this?
    Last edited by BrothaG; 24th November 2008 at 02:02 PM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Default Re: Divine's new L'tre Aim

Immortelle? Not! I still have to gag just thinking of Eau Noire...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matire/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pntrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Immortelle? Not! I still have to gag just thinking of Eau Noire...
    Immortelle is not for everyone. It does happen to be one of my favorite notes. I love Eau Noire, Sables, and L' homme Sage by Divine. I'm hoping Yann Vasnier is the nose. He loves working with immortelle and has a way of bringing out the best of the note. I can't wait to sample them both.

L' Etre Aime Homme is an ode to the everlasting flower, a fiery bloom filled with spices and sunshine. Soaring with aromatic notes: bergamot and tinture of lavender, ginger and basil. At its heart, a spicy blend of celery, cardamom and everlasting flowers. In the backround, amber and exotic woods: cistus and patchouli, sandlewood and vetiver.

If it's is anything that reminds me of Yatagan, I'm in.
    Last edited by thebeck; 24th November 2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: add verbage again

I got that letter today as well! :wave:

I asked myself if that smell is the fragrance or the actual papercard.
    Is the smell similar to Yatagan?

Wasn't Chypre Rouge called "immortelle desaster" by Luca Turin?
    Well, there are similarities to Chypre Rouge indeed. Not so sirupy of course ....
    Last edited by dr.creed; 24th November 2008 at 02:53 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

It is the actual fragrance, dr. Creed. When ordering fragrances from them they include the same card and spray it with that, but unfortunately it gets weak rather quick. Re: the Yatagan, I'm afraid I don't know that one well enough to tell whether they're smiliar.

I got the letter as well, but with a card sprayed with the 'Femme' version.

Floral pic:
    Listed notes: Nroli, bergamote, nectarine, jasmin, lys, rose, immortelle, ciste, santal,cdre, vtiver, vanille.

Opening the card, the first impression was of a very feminine, almost powdery fragrance that does not remind me of another perfume, but after two days the card smells somehow like Lutens' Cdre.
    Don't reject this one because of the immortelle. I can't stand that note in Sables but love it in L'homme Sage.

Feeling very bold, I have mailed if they could please send a 'real' sample. In the past Divine has always been most generous so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

::sprays L'homme Sage for good luck::
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    I got the letter as well, but with a card sprayed with the 'Femme' version.

Floral pic:
    Listed notes: Nroli, bergamote, nectarine, jasmin, lys, rose, immortelle, ciste, santal,cdre, vtiver, vanille.

Opening the card, the first impression was of a very feminine, almost powdery fragrance that does not remind me of another perfume, but after two days the card smells somehow like Lutens' Cdre.
    Don't reject this one because of the immortelle. I can't stand that note in Sables but love it in L'homme Sage.

Feeling very bold, I have mailed if they could please send a 'real' sample. In the past Divine has always been most generous so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

::sprays L'homme Sage for good luck::
    Hmmm... curious! I got the letter today here too - and the small card was sprayed with the masculine version (I do hope it wasn't the feminine version! ) but the letter seemed to be sprayed with something more feminine. I wasn't sure I liked - I really like L'homme Sage too, but I didn't feel it was too close a similarity.
    "Faites des btises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Weird that we all got it on the same day. I was so pleased and amused to be addressed as "Monsieur" that I didn't notice how it smelled. I'll go smell.
    Monsieur StrollYourLobster

I just opened my envelope from Divine.

My card was also sprayed with the feminine version and the salutation on the letter was Chre madame so I guess they've correctly assumed my gender.

When I first sniffed the card I thought I detected a tiny bit of celery . I guess that was from the herbaceous nature of ciste. Either that or whoever stuffed my envelope had some of the men's scent on their fingers.

I'm thinking this would be a nice everyday scent ~ it's transparent enough to be worn year-round.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 24th November 2008 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Weird that we all got it on the same day. I was so pleased and amused to be addressed as "Monsieur" that I didn't notice how it smelled. I'll go smell.
    Monsieur StrollYourLobster
    Not all at the same day, it seems. I got mine on Saturday, Schachman and you today (I think).
    BrothaG also on Saturday? After all, we are closer to France

Got mine too Saturday.

And as for the card not being strong, just leave it in your room for a couple of day's...

I'm not sure yet if I like it. Divine is one of my favorite niche houses, but immortelle is a note that I always associate with old Victorian furniture, don't know why. I also feel that the celery is a bit overpowering, but maybe that will be different in the actual juice.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Ah, good to hear more of you got to experience these two. Funny how those little cards make you lust for the actual juice, no?

Riannon, I think mine was left with the Saturday mail since there normally is none on Mondays here. I opened it today though.

I must say I'm glad Divine has put out something new.

Kind of reminds me of l'homme sage with a big note of immortelle. Like if you wore L'homme sage to a pancake house.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed View Post
    I asked myself if that smell is the fragrance or the actual papercard.
    I thought that same thing (mine came today)... it's got a wet papery note to it - not completely unlike Mechant Loup. It's of course a bit sweeter and more floral, but that note is definitely there.
    I like it, but without trying the actual stuff, it's hard to say much more!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by Kohinool View Post
    Kind of reminds me of l'homme sage with a big note of immortelle. Like if you wore L'homme sage to a pancake house.
    That's good.

Got mine today too (and also am amused at being called Madame Jill. Madame? Who me?)

I liked it but up close there's this peppery smell that I thought only happened when fragrances clashed with my skin - like Live Jazz. I must say though, my curiosity has been piqued.

Great news, but still no letter from Divine. Should be the Russian customs stopped the letter.

I found those perfumed blotters rather disappointing - I still remember when Fr. Malle does the same and I got three paper squares smelling of nothing... with light brown circles...

Immortelle - that`s divine note indeed!
    I like it in Eau Noire - but in Li Altarelli (St. de Saint Aignan) it is so masterfully included under bright sparkling citrus, ozone and greens it make me smile every time I wear it!!!

And I cherish my blotter soaked in immortelle absolute and looking for small bottle of the real stuff...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I received a sample card today. Can't smell a thing. Presumably the reason we're receiving samples is because we've done business directly with Divine. I know if I was trying to promote sales on two new fragrances just before Christmas I would have sent real samples- not sprayed cards. Real samples would result in more full bottle sales than carded samples. I guess I'll just have to wait for The Perfumed Court or Luckyscent to get some before I can sample the real thing.
    Last edited by thebeck; 25th November 2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add verbage

That card really smells good.Mine must be drenched in the stuff I guess.It's lying here next to my pc since yesterday.
    If the actual scent only smells a fraction of this, than I think I'm sold.(I'm easy, I know)
    I get a really dry spicy smell,not sure though, if it's immortelle. I'm gonna take the jump and order it.

Again, just leave the card on a warm spot in your room. The scent will come out in a couple of days.

I had the same experience with L'Inspiratrice before. First I thought it was a joke because I could hardly smell anything. So I just left the card on my bureau and then one evening I came home and my entire room smelled of it. And it smelled for weeks! I kid you not!

I think they use some sort of impregnation on the card.

I agree....I must have this
    Although I swore no more buying....this one grabs me.

Smile Re: Divine's new L'tre Aim

I expect to own and wear it next week
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I e-mailed Divine a couple days ago with no reply. Has anyone confirmed the nose for these two?

A nice distinctive clean fragrance from the sample paper in the letter, but it didn't compel me to make an order. Yet.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 27th November 2008 at 03:06 AM.

Okay, I dug out the card and placed it in a warm part of the room. Which took some searching thought, although it's only late November. Keyboard of laptop, for those of you slower than I. And there's a note that reminds me of nothing so much as the celery/pine thing in Yatagan. The celery/pine thing over which I've agonized, which made me send my Yatagan to somewhere in Sweden, and then buy it again because I couldn't get it out of my head.
    Except in this case the note is placed in an ethereal structure that, yeah, has bits of L'Homme Sage but talks more like L'Homme de Coeur. L'HdC can seem nearly to disappear within an hour and then comes back stronger hours or days later, especially if it's on fabric. It occupies no particular place but is inescapable, like an angel or like certain genetic tendencies that you always promised yourself you didn't have.

I love Ayala Moriel's Immortelle Amour. it's warm and deep and sweet but not too sweet.
    Plus I love most of what I have sampled from Divine. L'Inspiratrice is my favorite.
    This sounds very intriguing.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Okay, I dug out the card and placed it in a warm part of the room. Which took some searching thought, although it's only late November. Keyboard of laptop, for those of you slower than I. And there's a note that reminds me of nothing so much as the celery/pine thing in Yatagan. The celery/pine thing over which I've agonized, which made me send my Yatagan to somewhere in Sweden, and then buy it again because I couldn't get it out of my head.
    Except in this case the note is placed in an ethereal structure that, yeah, has bits of L'Homme Sage but talks more like L'Homme de Coeur. L'HdC can seem nearly to disappear within an hour and then comes back stronger hours or days later, especially if it's on fabric. It occupies no particular place but is inescapable, like an angel or like certain genetic tendencies that you always promised yourself you didn't have.
    Very poetic description! Love it.

Anyway, I send a very polite request to the divine people at Divine today and I hope they allow me a 'real' sample.
    I do like this new creation, as it's very intriguing, but I too have some reserves when it comes to celery. Need to know how it behaves on my skin first, before I order me a bottle.

Today I received the Femme and Homme samples with a sweet handwritten note from Madame Amlie from Divine.

There is for me a large difference between the (Femme) card and the actual fragrance on the skin, but my nose is a bit tired so I will wait with the real testing.

Divine, IMO superb in fragrances and customer service.

I've noticed a couple people listing L'Etre Aime Homme as a SOTD but haven't been able to find much about how it actually wears on the skin. Any comments from those of you who have gotten the chance to wear it a bit? I'm excited about this frag and hoping that it'll turn out to be a good one.

I was extremely eager to get my sample the other day. I really like the house of Divine. I'm a big fan of Immortelle. Yann Vasnier is one of my favorite noses.

It went on very nice with nothing to write home about - not much Immortelle - I had a hard time making a connection with this frag. As the day went on it became more and more nauseating. For the very first time I heard people talking behind my back how bad I smelled when I was at work. Like most Yann Vasnier frags there is major sillage and all day lasting power. When sampling, use sparingly for best results.

Fans of Eau Noire and Sables will most likely be disappointed - on the other hand non- fans of those two might enjoy the subtle use of Immortelle in this one.

Thanks for the response, thebeck. Wow, people had that strong a reaction to it, huh? And you were nauseated....sheesh. Really disappointing. I was thinking rash thoughts about ordering some of this based on the scent on the card but you have me thinking much more carefully. Thanks for saving me from potential disaster.