Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default What smells like Christmas to you?

It seems as if the holidays are almost here and of course Christmas is on my mind. Not just because of the decorations popping up everywhere, but also because of my fragrances.

Today, I am wearing Winter Delice (Aqua Allegoria) by Guerlain. A dry pine scent that smells very much like a Christmas tree (or wreath) that hasn't been watered in a house where one is baking gingerbread. The AA line from Guerlain is supposed to be patterned after 'walks in the forest/garden' and well, that's exactly what I get from this. The woody effect smells like dried resins (or sap) from a tree - so realistic. Mixed with the spices, well... I might have to put WD as the most Christmas oriented scent I've ever smelled! Strangely, it's also discontinued (although still available many places online).

Last year, I posted a thread about Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur and it's 'christmas tree' associations for me. Many agreed and disagreed - I learned that everyone' has different olfactory associations with Christmas.

What's putting you in the Christmas spirit?
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: What smells like Christmas to you?

Yeah, this is why I posted a thread today about Christmas smell recommendations with my four favourite christmas scents (pine, cedar, peppermint, cinnamon). Out of all my fragrances, I didn't really have a "Christmas" scent. But after plenty of recommendations I landed on CdG Red: Sequoia which has the exact "christmas tree" smell I was looking for. I really love it. And even though I was intending on wrapping it for myself and opening it on christmas, I think I'll be wearing it in anticipation of christmas, too.
    Last edited by dynendal; 24th November 2008 at 08:38 PM.

From a fragrance perspective it's Obsession for men and the discontinued and sorely missed Halston 101.

Also try CSP Vanille Canelle. It's not as nice as Winter Delice (which is my favorite "Xmas/Wintertime' scent), but it's very nice.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Manes by Remy LaTour faintly reminds me of pine.

Burberry Brit Red is a scent I associate with Xmas. (Gingerbread note).

I always revert to Diptyque's Eau Lente when I am celebrating a northern hemisphere Christmas - the cloves and opoponax make a wonderfully warm, cosy Christmas feeling, especially with pudding! Most of the time though, Christmas is spent in a hot southern hemisphere with fresh food, such as salads, and lots of chilled white wine. L'Artisan's Vanilia is the perfect scent for that!
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Cedre by Serge Lutens

Thumbs up Re: What smells like Christmas to you?

C&O Bigelow Bay Rum. I'm Shocked nobody mentioned Bay Rum!!!

Nikos Sculpture - smells exactly like the delicious shortbread grandma used to bake at Christmas - Greek background basenoters read "kourabiedes".
    My olfactory is clearly linked to my belly...

Mazzolari by Mazzolari ~ Sandalwood, vetiver, spices and subtle citrus and green notes

There was a river about 500 yards from the house I grew up in and for several years there was a Cut Your Own Christmas Tree lot in between my back yard and the river. Mazzolari reminds me of the walks through the trees I would take on the way to the river.

Arabie by Serge Lutens for sure! I've actually been 'instructed' to wear it on Christmas day this year.
    Another one that I was just thinking of a bit ago is Vanille Tonka by Parfums de Nicolai... it's like a warm vanilla with some really great mulled spices and warmth.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Burberry London smells like Christmas to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Arabie by Serge Lutens for sure! I've actually been 'instructed' to wear it on Christmas day this year.
    Another one that I was just thinking of a bit ago is Vanille Tonka by Parfums de Nicolai... it's like a warm vanilla with some really great mulled spices and warmth.
    Vanille tonka is a good rec. Another might be Sacre Bleu by PdN, which also has a very rich, very warn depth to it.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Blenheim Bouquet:Smells like one of the typical Mexican dishes my family serves during the holidays. It is called Pozole.
    Carlos Santana layered with tea for two. Smells like a Mexican hot punch made with cinnamon, apples, sugar cane and guava. Packed with calories? of course! The more the merrier

Ah! the Mexican holidays :toppie:
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Burberry London smells like Christmas to me.
    Yep. London. Definitely.

For me it has always been:
    1. Ambre Sultan
    2. Santana
    3. Lubin Idole.

For Idole, I wore it in DC last year when I had meetings there - it was such a wonderful scent to walk around the main city and the Mall. I'm going again in two weeks... and I will wear the same! I'm planning on seeing the Christmas tree just near the White House. It's usually very beautiful!

Santana was a whim buy... based on some comments here on BN last year. I haven't worn it but a handful of times, but each time reminds me of the holidays. The apples and booziness just bring thoughts of fun holidays!

Ambre Sultan has been near to my Holly Grail for years... and I bought it during Christmas season the first time when last my whole family was together. So while I can wear it anytime, it seems to bring back the thoughts of Christmas with family more so than any others.
    Last edited by Schachman; 24th November 2008 at 11:14 PM.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Diesel Plus. The cinnamon reminds me of the days that my brother and I would sit on the steps in our kitchen watching Mom make the cinnamon buns on Christmas Eve for all of us to dig into after opening presents Christmas morning. Oh, what I would give to be 10 years old again if just for a day to experience Christmas as a child again! I am lucky to have 6 year old twins because they bring back that spark during Christmas time!

Aramis because when I was growing up it was the scent my Dad wore on the holiday .

I agree with Burberry London and Burberry Brit Red, a lovely holiday-ish scent that doesn't get too much mention here at BN.

Also, Claiborne Spark has a holiday cake thing going on. Definitely a those-mortifying-cakes-that-everyone-is-scared-to-touch-with-a-30-foot-pole sort of thing. Then, it turns to pickles on my skin, no joke. Nasty cake, then pickles... Not a winner.

Cartier's Declaration and lately Tauer's Incense Rose for me. In the latter I get a very strong mulled wine opening.
    Last edited by Noalick; 24th November 2008 at 11:57 PM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

JHL is certainally "cinnamonny" enough to be a Christmas memory. Would like to try Caron's Coup de Fouet as I have read some find it very much a holiday pleasure. Needless to say, Caron's famous and fabulous "Christmas Night" is a real seasonal tradition!

Without a doubt:

Halston Catalyst for Men
    Parfumerie Generale Un Crime Exotique
    Caron's L'Anarchiste

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 25th November 2008 at 12:09 AM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Carlos Santana
    Burberry London

I'm hoping Winter Star, since I just ordered it.

Egoiste, Eau Lente and JHL all remind me of Christmas, and they all tend to get heavy wearing around that time of year. Never thought of Arabie as a Christmas scent, but now that jrdt4 has been mentioned, I can see it.

Pino Sylvestre for pure pine.
    CdG Avignon for pure cathedral.
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Serge Lutens Chypre Rouge

Not a scent that I like, but CDG White screams Xmas to me.

Burberry London as mentioned...

Gaultier2 also has a gingerbread note that conjures images of the season to be jolly
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe