Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default What smells like Christmas to you?

It seems as if the holidays are almost here and of course Christmas is on my mind. Not just because of the decorations popping up everywhere, but also because of my fragrances.

Today, I am wearing Winter Delice (Aqua Allegoria) by Guerlain. A dry pine scent that smells very much like a Christmas tree (or wreath) that hasn't been watered in a house where one is baking gingerbread. The AA line from Guerlain is supposed to be patterned after 'walks in the forest/garden' and well, that's exactly what I get from this. The woody effect smells like dried resins (or sap) from a tree - so realistic. Mixed with the spices, well... I might have to put WD as the most Christmas oriented scent I've ever smelled! Strangely, it's also discontinued (although still available many places online).

Last year, I posted a thread about Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur and it's 'christmas tree' associations for me. Many agreed and disagreed - I learned that everyone' has different olfactory associations with Christmas.

What's putting you in the Christmas spirit?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: What smells like Christmas to you?

Yeah, this is why I posted a thread today about Christmas smell recommendations with my four favourite christmas scents (pine, cedar, peppermint, cinnamon). Out of all my fragrances, I didn't really have a "Christmas" scent. But after plenty of recommendations I landed on CdG Red: Sequoia which has the exact "christmas tree" smell I was looking for. I really love it. And even though I was intending on wrapping it for myself and opening it on christmas, I think I'll be wearing it in anticipation of christmas, too.
    Last edited by dynendal; 24th November 2008 at 08:38 PM.

From a fragrance perspective it's Obsession for men and the discontinued and sorely missed Halston 101.

Also try CSP Vanille Canelle. It's not as nice as Winter Delice (which is my favorite "Xmas/Wintertime' scent), but it's very nice.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Manes by Remy LaTour faintly reminds me of pine.

Burberry Brit Red is a scent I associate with Xmas. (Gingerbread note).

I always revert to Diptyque's Eau Lente when I am celebrating a northern hemisphere Christmas - the cloves and opoponax make a wonderfully warm, cosy Christmas feeling, especially with pudding! Most of the time though, Christmas is spent in a hot southern hemisphere with fresh food, such as salads, and lots of chilled white wine. L'Artisan's Vanilia is the perfect scent for that!
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Cedre by Serge Lutens

Thumbs up Re: What smells like Christmas to you?

C&O Bigelow Bay Rum. I'm Shocked nobody mentioned Bay Rum!!!

Nikos Sculpture - smells exactly like the delicious shortbread grandma used to bake at Christmas - Greek background basenoters read "kourabiedes".
    My olfactory is clearly linked to my belly...

Mazzolari by Mazzolari ~ Sandalwood, vetiver, spices and subtle citrus and green notes

There was a river about 500 yards from the house I grew up in and for several years there was a Cut Your Own Christmas Tree lot in between my back yard and the river. Mazzolari reminds me of the walks through the trees I would take on the way to the river.

Arabie by Serge Lutens for sure! I've actually been 'instructed' to wear it on Christmas day this year.
    Another one that I was just thinking of a bit ago is Vanille Tonka by Parfums de Nicolai... it's like a warm vanilla with some really great mulled spices and warmth.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Burberry London smells like Christmas to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Arabie by Serge Lutens for sure! I've actually been 'instructed' to wear it on Christmas day this year.
    Another one that I was just thinking of a bit ago is Vanille Tonka by Parfums de Nicolai... it's like a warm vanilla with some really great mulled spices and warmth.
    Vanille tonka is a good rec. Another might be Sacre Bleu by PdN, which also has a very rich, very warn depth to it.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Blenheim Bouquet:Smells like one of the typical Mexican dishes my family serves during the holidays. It is called Pozole.
    Carlos Santana layered with tea for two. Smells like a Mexican hot punch made with cinnamon, apples, sugar cane and guava. Packed with calories? of course! The more the merrier

Ah! the Mexican holidays :toppie:
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Burberry London smells like Christmas to me.
    Yep. London. Definitely.

For me it has always been:
    1. Ambre Sultan
    2. Santana
    3. Lubin Idole.

For Idole, I wore it in DC last year when I had meetings there - it was such a wonderful scent to walk around the main city and the Mall. I'm going again in two weeks... and I will wear the same! I'm planning on seeing the Christmas tree just near the White House. It's usually very beautiful!

Santana was a whim buy... based on some comments here on BN last year. I haven't worn it but a handful of times, but each time reminds me of the holidays. The apples and booziness just bring thoughts of fun holidays!

Ambre Sultan has been near to my Holly Grail for years... and I bought it during Christmas season the first time when last my whole family was together. So while I can wear it anytime, it seems to bring back the thoughts of Christmas with family more so than any others.
    Last edited by Schachman; 24th November 2008 at 11:14 PM.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Diesel Plus. The cinnamon reminds me of the days that my brother and I would sit on the steps in our kitchen watching Mom make the cinnamon buns on Christmas Eve for all of us to dig into after opening presents Christmas morning. Oh, what I would give to be 10 years old again if just for a day to experience Christmas as a child again! I am lucky to have 6 year old twins because they bring back that spark during Christmas time!

Aramis because when I was growing up it was the scent my Dad wore on the holiday .

I agree with Burberry London and Burberry Brit Red, a lovely holiday-ish scent that doesn't get too much mention here at BN.

Also, Claiborne Spark has a holiday cake thing going on. Definitely a those-mortifying-cakes-that-everyone-is-scared-to-touch-with-a-30-foot-pole sort of thing. Then, it turns to pickles on my skin, no joke. Nasty cake, then pickles... Not a winner.

Cartier's Declaration and lately Tauer's Incense Rose for me. In the latter I get a very strong mulled wine opening.
    Last edited by Noalick; 24th November 2008 at 11:57 PM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

JHL is certainally "cinnamonny" enough to be a Christmas memory. Would like to try Caron's Coup de Fouet as I have read some find it very much a holiday pleasure. Needless to say, Caron's famous and fabulous "Christmas Night" is a real seasonal tradition!

Without a doubt:

Halston Catalyst for Men
    Parfumerie Generale Un Crime Exotique
    Caron's L'Anarchiste

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 25th November 2008 at 12:09 AM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Carlos Santana
    Burberry London

I'm hoping Winter Star, since I just ordered it.

Egoiste, Eau Lente and JHL all remind me of Christmas, and they all tend to get heavy wearing around that time of year. Never thought of Arabie as a Christmas scent, but now that jrdt4 has been mentioned, I can see it.

Pino Sylvestre for pure pine.
    CdG Avignon for pure cathedral.
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Serge Lutens Chypre Rouge

Not a scent that I like, but CDG White screams Xmas to me.

Burberry London as mentioned...

Gaultier2 also has a gingerbread note that conjures images of the season to be jolly
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

When I visit my mother this time of year she has her "Frosty the Snowman" reed diffuser out. She's managed to find an oil for it that smells exactly like Arabie. Consequently, Arabie has been ruined for me.

Serge Lutens Mandarine-Mandarin is a scent that reminds me most of Christmas.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Burberry Brit reminds me of the colder season and the smell just warms me up with its powdery sweetness. This one would be the closest to reminding me of Christmas.

Blog Entries

Without a doubt, Hermès Ambre Narguilé. I tried Winter Délice but it did nothing for me. Ambre Narguilé is just... almost indescribable, that rich, cinnamon and nutmeg, apple, amber... wonderfulness! I try to wear it sparingly so that it doesn't lose its "specialness," if you know what I mean. Though I only have a half-ounce decant of it right now, it's one scent that I must never, ever be without.

Is there a fragrance that smells like cheap whiskey and bruises?

Blog Entries

Terracotta Voile D'ete by Guerlain.

For a more typical American christmas...
    Serge Lutens Rousse. i should not be telling you this, but this is Santa Claus' signature scent.
    Caron 3rd Man would be appropriate too.
    Last edited by irish; 25th November 2008 at 04:08 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    i should not be telling you this, but this is Santa Claus' signature scent.
    LOL!

I'm ashamed to admit this, but the thing which smells the most like Christmas to me is one of the phosphite esters - triethyl or trimethyl - I don't remember which one. Yes, Virginia - Christmas has a Material Safety Data Sheet.

Cool Re: What smells like Christmas to you?

Cacharel Pour L'Homme
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Nothing smells more like Christmas to me than Montale Patchouili Patch. I also agree with the Burberry London.

Must de Cartier
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Definately Hermès Ambre Narguilé - just reminds me of my mum doing all the cooking for christmas!

Mazzolari Mazzolari still gives me a strong suggestion of Christmas trees.

Jo Malone's Pine and Eucalyptus is Christmas in a bottle.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Parfumerie Generale Aomassai

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
    Is there a fragrance that smells like cheap whiskey and bruises?
    Brut is perfect for those occasions.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 25th November 2008 at 02:51 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Institution

Great responses everyone - keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yes, Virginia - Christmas has a Material Safety Data Sheet.
    LOL - that made me laugh Redneck.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th November 2008 at 03:09 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'll buy a new scent as a gift for myself to wear for xmas time but I've not yet decided which one... some candidates are
    Tom Ford White Patchouli
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Caron Yatagan
    Molinard Habanita
    Piguet Bandit
    Lutens Iris Sinver Mist
    Lutens Borneo
    ... or maybe just a backup bottle of Musc Ravageur

That one from the incense series by CdG.

Can't remember the name right now, and I'm too lazy to walk over to my closet. It's not Kyoto, not Zagorsk, not Avignon, not that one named after a Moroccan town, but that other one.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    That one from the incense series by CdG.

Can't remember the name right now, and I'm too lazy to walk over to my closet. It's not Kyoto, not Zagorsk, not Avignon, not that one named after a Moroccan town, but that other one.
    Jaisalmer?
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Burberry London..

Cool Re: What smells like Christmas to you?

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Jaisalmer?
    Bingo!
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

For me it's Jules but that's mainly to do with the fact that I wore it a couple of years running when I went to London during December.

iPdF Spezie de Medici - for some reason the orange and spices seems holidayish to me
    Yatagan - that big pine note, plus incense and woods

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    When I visit my mother this time of year she has her "Frosty the Snowman" reed diffuser out. She's managed to find an oil for it that smells exactly like Arabie. Consequently, Arabie has been ruined for me.
    Oh boy! I am locking away my holy grails and other favorite perfumes now. Having them ruined by associations with Christmas would be all I need . December is a dangerous month for relationships, our nervous system, and the fragrance collection.

I actually prefer the smell of pine trees when the sun warms the stems and cones during the warmer months. A grove of fir trees is just outside the house. We have a tradition of making candles from real bees wax in downtown Zurich, and I enjoy that smell and the scenery. Scented candles I love during the darkest days of December and January. Some drops of almond oil or cloves in simmering water spread magic enough if you leave the kitchen door open. We have also used drops of olibanum on an oil burner, and I bet they use some kind of 'instant incense' in modern catholic churches. You don't see where it comes from near the altar, but get wafts of it towards the end of the mass.

It's the last Saturday before Christmas that Andy Tauer usually presents a new perfume. It was Incense Extréme last year, and that of course met the general mood. It was a foggy and relatively warm afternoon, maybe 8° C, and the incense accompanied me walking through the town, and on the train home.
    Last edited by narcus; 26th November 2008 at 06:21 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Hey everyone! For me, it's Pomegranate Noir. Not only did I buy it at Christmas time, I wore it then, too, mostly. I visited my parents and my mom had her house all decorated and with the fire and the dark reds of Christmas, etc... it seemed to go with the atmosphere. Another good one for me is CdG Original EdP, which reminds me of Christmas-time spices.
    Last edited by nthny; 25th November 2008 at 09:07 PM.

Armand Basi homme
    Carlos Santana for men
    Rochas Man
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Burberry London

I did try Fou d'Absinthe this year and it is just like a Christmas tree.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

For me something like Nino Cerruti or Gucci Nobile smells like Christmas because of the deep green character of these scents, and the way they feature pine and fir notes. They smell like Christmas trees, and so remind me of Christmas.

I love to wear these scents, but not at Christmas; I do not want to compete with the Christmas tree. Instead, for Christmas I like to wear something like Nuit de Noël, which is reminiscent of the holiday in another, less arboreal and more human way. For me, it also fits in with Christmas Eve Midnight Mass. I wore it last year then, and I think I may wear it again this year. In fact, I very probably will....

Caron
    Nuit de Noël
    (1922)
    Ernest Daltroff
    Top note: Citrus
    Middle note: Rose, Jasmine, Ylang-ylang, Orris root, Precious Woods
    Base note: Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Vanilla
    Last edited by JaimeB; 26th November 2008 at 05:18 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Blog Entries

KM's Loukhoum. Or similarly SL's Louve, and Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream. Marzipan, vanilla and cherries. Yum!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous