Code of Conduct

Default Eau de Cologne and Aftershave Splash - What's the difference?

I have found many fragrances I like do both these and am wondering whats the real difference? Obviously the splash isn't a spray (I personally prefer a spray!) but is there a difference in strength?

Thanks!

Default Re: Eau de Cologne and Aftershave Splash - What's the difference?

No difference, just application methods. Eau de Cologne tends to have more power in it than Aftershave.
    Last edited by dynendal; 24th November 2008 at 11:43 PM.

Hi!

Welcome to Basenotes!

These articles should help get you started: Men's Fragrance FAQ
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 24th November 2008 at 11:54 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Aww thanks hadn't spotted that and that's explained a lot!

I wrote an article many years ago on the main site listing endurance strength of various aftershave splashes. It can be found at,
    http://www.basenotes.net/articles/lotion.html

As you can see, the strongest was Joop, and it outperforms very many EDTs.

The stronger ones certainly equate to typical EDC strength scents. Since I wrote that article, I've noticed that a lot of colognes and EDTs that actually have "Eau" in their name, like L'Eau par Kenzo and Eau de Artisan really don't last as long as some of the stronger aftershave splashes.

Curiously, I have a bottle of original Guerlain Vetiver EDT and one of original Guerlain vetiver EDC. The EDC doesn't have as much output as the EDT, but lasts a lot longer.

And of course you must remember that the US "Cologne" means the same as European EDT.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 25th November 2008 at 12:13 PM.