Code of Conduct

Thread: Hot Leather

Cool Hot Leather

Dear Santa:

I don't wish to seem ungrateful about the climate we have in L.A., especially when half the members in this forum are freezing their derrieres in the snow. Nevertheless, Orientals are- or were (?) my favorite category until I realized that their use in the S. Calif desert is---somewhat limited.

Santa, I've gone through a several bottles of Guerlian Vetiver and Himalaya this year, but Dunhill '34 which is my all time favorite remains half used, though I got back in, what? 2005? As I only feel comfortable wearing it to formal events on very cool nights.

Furthermore as you well know Santa, I smashed a bottle of Bulgari Black with a hammer in a fit of pique when the (expletive deleted) mechanism jammed.

Weeks later I repented ( BB is really a fun scent and wearable when it's not oven temperature heat) so I bought another bottle-- only to have the blasted thing jam again! ( Does Bulgari make cheap semi-auto pistols?) This time I kindly gave it away to a female friend who is blessed with far more patience than I am. It made her day.

Now, confound it, Santa, let's talk about leathers!!

I'm going to use up REL within a couple of days-- and won't re-buy.

Why?

BECAUSE FALL/ WINTER IN L.A. IS APROX FROM MID-NOVEMBER TO MID-JANUARY, THAT'S WHY!

Listen up, you bearded reindeer slavedriving geezer! You're not fooling anyone that your cheeks are red from being jovial, you boozing old reprobate. So sober up for a moment and answer my question, Okay?

What leathers can be worn in hot weather?

So far I've only found Cuir d'Oranger by Miller Harris which I think is great (and puts Cuiron to shame)

I also have hopes for Eau d' Hermes, which kicks ass even if it's a bit weak in the longevity department, but I'm waiting to let the temperature get a bit cooler.

So, Santa--

---Say, why am I asking a watered down charicature of Saint Nicholas invented by Macy's when I have thousands of fellow BN'ers right here?---Jeez!

Amigos!

What great leather frags would you recommend for moderately hot (or perhaps even scorching) weather?

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 25th November 2008 at 05:41 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: Hot Leather

Tauer LoneStar memories has a nostalgic feel of being on Road...leather+dust+Tar...only the basenotes has a bubble gum note...slightly sweet

I haven't tried wearing it in hot weather yet, but i think Montale's Aoud Leather Lime might just work. Probably because of the heavy dose of lime that it has. It also seems to be one of the quiet Montale scents.

A letter like yours must be Santa's delight! Climatewise I wish I had your problems. Our winters (bottom of the northern side of the Alps) are foggy and wet and cold even : snow one week, rain the next, alternating sometimes into March and April. Anyway, try to sample Aigner, In Leather Man. It's not the greatest leather, and equal to Eau d'Hermes in longevity, but pleasant when it's hot outside. Since Aoud Cuir d'Arabie has been made for the sons of the desert and isn't sweet at all you might like that one, and if - this will last almost a day. Will go and try Aoud Leather myself now, thanks ajmc!
    Last edited by narcus; 25th November 2008 at 08:25 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I live in Miami so I can totally relate. Tom Ford Tuscan Leather works very very well in high temps and lasts forever.

Blog Entries

SMN Nostalgia is great in warm/hot temperatures. I wore it all summer.....

oh...and IMO Cuiron can't be compared to Cuir D'Oranger, it's faaaar superior

If the idea of leather with some citrus seems promising, you might try Quorum.

Aqua di Parma Colonia Intensa? Citrus with leather.

These did very well for me this past summer:

Declaration
    Derby
    Francesco Smalto
    Grabazzi
    Polo
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 25th November 2008 at 02:35 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Intensa? Citrus with leather.
    +1...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    I live in Miami so I can totally relate. Tom Ford Tuscan Leather works very very well in high temps and lasts forever.
    Totally agree. I took some Tuscan Leather with me to Los Angeles last year during Winter and it performed splendidly.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

SL - Diam Blond

John Varvatos Original is supposed to have a soft, black leather accord. I have worn this in late spring and late summer without it seeming too heavy or cloying.
    Last edited by Titan; 25th November 2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typo

I'm from Houston and it worked ok for me this past summer

I agree with the suggestion of Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa, too – in terms of the scent itself. It does have longevity issues, though. I only get 3-4 hours out of it before it has faded virtually to nothing.

Habit Rouge EDC
    Dunhill '34 if you can find it
    Devin
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Habit Rouge EDC
    Dior Homme (this one sizzles in a restrained way in spring/summer)
    -

Everlast Original 1910 is the way to go !

Heeley - Plein Fleur Cuir
    Chanel - Cuir de Russie
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Light Leathers for warm climates:

Cuir d Iris
    Dior Homme
    Cuir d Oranger

I feel your pain brother. Only yesterday did it rain for the first time in months. I also vote for Tuscan Leather; its not my thing, but it is "softer" than typical leathers which I think makes it more wearable in heat.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Hot Leather? Try Mark Buxtons "Hot Leather", which reminds me of Cuir d'Oranger at the begining.

So I guess MPG d'Habit is out of the question Go ahead, do it.

I agree with Moon Fish-

Heeley's is great, in any weather, but particularly in warm climates.

Just today I received my bottle of Cuir Lancome, which would work in any weather. It's light and smooth, no heavy sillage but a nice smoky drydown. This is one of those 'blind buys that worked'.