Code of Conduct

Default Laura Tonatto Re

I'm thinking of picking up a bottle of Re and wondered how many of you have tried it. There are several really good reviews but what I'm looking for is opinions about whether this fragrance might be redundant for someone who has Mazzolari Lui and MKK.
    Tonatto is really interesting to me. Of the two of hers I know, Oltre is very challenging, to me almost unwearable but undeniably fascinating. And Iss is a very fine, restrained composition in the EdC tradition. Does anyone with wider experience of this line have strong views on which are the gems?

Default Re: Laura Tonatto Re

can you define Oltre ?I read so many good things about it. ( I am intrigued by the "unwearable factor you mentioned)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I'm a big fan of Oltre - I'd like to get to know her other fragrances, too, but I've seen very few mentions on Basenotes.

The Perfumed Court is having a sale of Laura Tonatto samples this month, which I may take advantage of ( discount code: NOVEMBER20 ).

Thanks for the tip, Galamb.
    Basteri, Oltre is quite cold and harsh, an apt evocation of the ocean, although not pleasant in any simple sense. I often pulled it out to sniff and think about it, but seldom wore it. Sold my bottle several months ago. Maybe someone else would give a more detailed description of note structure. I admit that part of what sold me on it originally was a brilliant review by Cait on her blog, Legerdenez. Click here, and share my madness.

Basenotes Institution

I have a sample of Re at home - I guess I'll have to wear it to see what all the fuss is about. Is Re a musk prominent scent (since you namechecked MKK)?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I have Re, it is animalistic, boozy, resinous, musky and spicy. I don't know M Lui, but I've heard comparisons between the two. It reminds me of MKK in the sense that it has a raunchy quality. It smells something like a long lost, 1920's fragrance. I love it.

Yeah! Mike, please post (at length!!) when you get to your sample of Re. I'll be very interested to hear what you think.
    Ruggles, I'm very intrigued by your sense that this is a throwback to the twenties. Say more about what you're smelling that gives you that image?

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Yeah! Mike, please post (at length!!) when you get to your sample of Re. I'll be very interested to hear what you think.
    Ruggles, I'm very intrigued by your sense that this is a throwback to the twenties. Say more about what you're smelling that gives you that image?
    Why 1920's? Think of an earthy world, where aldehydes weren't so ubiquitous, yet, think of resinous patchouli, sandalwood and amber. Is Re that great, long lost, Jacques Guerlain that he resolved into Vol de Nuit?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th November 2008 at 03:46 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Wore my sample tonight: SKANK ALERT! MKK, I really couldn't smell, but Re I could. Dirty patchouli is what I mostly smelled, with floating dry wood notes and a slight oily texture to it (smell, not the feel). Does this have cumin in it? I swore I smelled it. I'm reminded of certain animalic properties that pure aoud oil gives off.

The scent overall seems very 'Lutens meets Montale', if you think about it.

It's linear qualities had me wanting to layer it with some other fragrance...perhaps something citrusy? A very comfy 'dirty' scent, which is the weirdest classification I've experienced. I'm not sure if I like it (I'll sample it again).

Dependent

Found these notes on a random site.

Petitgrain, benzoin, opopanax, patchouli, sandalwood