Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Saturday 14 February - St. Valentine's Day

Good morning, and Happy Valentine's Day!

I thought I would wear something rosy today but was still in the mood for lavender, so went from SL Encens et Lavande to SL Gris Clair.

Have a lovely and romantic day, all!
    Last edited by tigrushka; 14th February 2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Saturday 14 February - St. Valentine's Day

CdG Ouarzazate for a bright spring-y day.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Organza Indecense in this deep-winter snowy and cloudy day :-((((

(impatiently waiting for the spring)

GIvenchy Organza on this most romantic of days.
    Happy Valentine's Day to you all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lyric For Man - Amouage

Happy Birthday, turquoisewater! Enjoy your day at the Spa.

Yesterday I promised you a cake but reading about the loss of RainDropSparkle and Shadesofbleu on yesterday's thread, it just don't feel right.
    I am so sorry for you, my dears. You are in my thoughts.

Vintage Shalimar extrait on this bright Valentine's day and for the evening Amouage Silver Femme.

May your day be filled with love.....
    Last edited by Riannon; 14th February 2009 at 09:50 AM.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Much love and hugs to our bereaved, this am.
    May your loved ones be a comfort...

HAPPY VALENTINE'S TO ALL !!!

In my Eau D'Hermes - later on, Mitsouko [ my first love].
    Will make dinner w/ B - something lovely.

Be blessed and lved, my dears !

L`Air du Desert Marocain for me today.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Condolances to the recently bereaved

For stats: SotD yesterday was Juicy Couture.

Now I've got a dilemma. Late last night husband said "You smell really nice. Yes, I really like whatever you've got on." In my tired haze, I made a mental note, oh good, husband likes Juicy Couture. This morning I realised that the cardigan I'd pulled on when I got back home in the evening still had traces of Pleasures Delight. So. He either likes PD, JC or a blend of both.

Today I'm going to go for Juicy Couture again, but will have to one-arm PD when husband gets back from work to see which one he thought he was smelling.

Valentine's day is surely one day you are allowed to choose your scent according to what your sweetheart likes, right?

This has been my violet week: first, Caron Violette Precieuse, green, soft and classical. Then cdG Stephen Jones, dark, inky and woody. Another day I wore LesNez The Unicorn Spell, very green and with a lovely, sparkling drydown. Today I'm trying a sample of Blanc Violette, by Histoires de Parfums: a girly, milky violette. I've loved them all!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone

Creed ROYAL DELIGHT
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

FCUK Him by French Connection. A carefully chosen fragrance to celebrate the day.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    FCUK Him by French Connection. A carefully chosen fragrance to celebrate the day.
    See, I read that and sniggered. Does that make me a bad person? Or perhaps a juvenile one?

Today I am looking forward to getting my hubby back from Japan. That will be a great Valentine.
    And I already got a beautiful day full of gently falling snowflakes. Which always remind me of my late, adored Dad, who sent me a valentine if I was ever 'between boyfriends', so I wouldn't get glum, bless his kind heart. I connect him with snow so deeply that whenever I see flakes falling, I think of him. There was snow on my wedding day, snow when I had a tough time recently. I feel it as a hug from the Old Man.
    The people we love make such strong impressions on us that we carry them with us forever. My condolences to you, Shades and Raindrop. I hope you find your own ways to carry your love for your departed on with you.

Today I'm wearing Coco, which my husband bought for me and which I wore at our wedding on another snowy day a few years back.

Happy Valentines Day to all.
    x
    Last edited by Wordbird; 14th February 2009 at 01:35 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Shadesofbleu & RainDropSparkle, thinking of you. Sending wishes for peace. Hugs.

SOTD ~ Miss Dior, vintage edp

Basenotes Plus

Happy Valentine's Day, all!

Sarah Horowitz Perfumes Love Comes From Within
    Notes: clove, carnation, rose, Tunisian amber, French vanilla, musk, sandalwood
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Comforting hugs to all grieving or in pain. Positive thoughts to those celebrating Valentine's Day in solitude, by choice or by circumstance.

Caron Sacre -- Mr.T loves it for being "clean" of all things! Silly T. I just love it for the exactly opposite reason.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Saturday 14 February - St. Valentine's Day

DIPTYQUE

l ' ombre dans l' eau
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Calvin for Men (the Eighties original)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Happy Birthdaty Turquoisewater! How sweet to have been born on Valentine's Day!

SotD is my beloved (how quickly it has become so) Reve en Cuir. And later I'll probably put on a little Felanilla from a veuve amiot sample. The Felanilla is a "get your attention" dirty vanilla. FBW.

So sorry to hear of your loss SHADES & RAINDROP. My thoughts are with you.

Enjoy your birthday TURQUOISEWATER.

I thought Ralph Lauren's ROMANCE would be a nice Valentine scent, but not too sure it's "me".

Happy Valentines Day everyone!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Shades and Raindrop Yesterday was a weird/sad day for me as well...Just found out a friend of mine and her husband(that I also reckon as my friend) are getting a divorce ...He was cheating on her!!! I'm sorry to mention such a thing today espesially.....but was so schocked last night that I simply need to let some of the frustration out here!
    Hope you have a romantic birthday turquoisewater Sotd for me is L'ombre dans l'eau which makes me Scenttwin with Roberto.SotE is Crystal Noir.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 14th February 2009 at 03:45 PM.

Shades and Raindrop: Losing grandparents is especially hard. Theirs is such a special love. I am deeply sorry for you.

I am wearing Liu. Our Valentine's celebration will be low key this year, but I did get some handmade chocolates for my husband. Last year we went to the chocolate buffet at the Ritz Carleton, but economic times have changed, alas.

My condolences to shadesofbleu and raindropsparkle. Wordbird I think quite beautifully conveyed that while their physical presence may be gone our loved one's spirit lives on in something as simple as a snowflake.

Inees watching a freind betrayed in that manner is one of life's uglier curveballs and I only hope that the loser husband finds that life doesn't get better after you get what you think you want.

Happier feelings to turquoisewater our latest member of the "Birthday for Multiple Days Club". I hope you have an awesome day.

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone else and I hope the day is as pleasant as you would like it to be.

We're going out tonight but I'm wearing something for me this morning before letting my wife choose for tonight.

Etro Messe de Minuit

I am a huge fan of incense-forward scents and any scent named Midnight Mass is going to have me excited to try. Messe de Minuit was created in 2000 by Jacques Flori and I think he has come up with a very unique take on incense. Right from the top it starts with something that smells like the holiday wassail bowl from the church basement as a mix of citrus and cinnamon start this off. It doesn't take long for the incense and myrrh to come in and eventually take over. The heart is also cut with a skillful use of honey which adds depth and traditional sweetness to the more resinous sweet of the incense. The base notes of amber and patchouli add more warmth and mix with the heart notes making for a lovely intermingling of notes. I've seen this described as musty but on my skin I don't get a hint of that. On me this comes off as a very dry austere scent, there isn't anything that feels lush about it. Which is as it should be at Midnight Mass.

Have a Stupendous Saturday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Valentine's day is surely one day you are allowed to choose your scent according to what your sweetheart likes, right?
    I think so, and that's why my SoTD is my husband's favorite, Pure Poison.

Happy Valentines Day! <3 <3 <3

Wearing Agent Provocateur today because it makes me feel "ooooh la la" and it is Valentine's Day!
    Enjoy this St. Valentine's Day, BNers.

Happy Valentine's Day to all those who love love.

I'm wearing Terranova's Rain perfume essence, which I begged a sample of from Ubu's wardrobe. It reminds me of being young, wearing perfume oils, and being carefree. Later, I'm going to do some sampling of various fragrances.

Wordbird, I love the story about your dad sending you a Valentine.

(((Hugs))) and to all.

Basenotes Institution

Orris by Andy Tauer

On a day celebrating love, I've decided to wear one of my new love's.

I'm interested to see how this one wears in the very hot and sunny Saturday weather outside today. Spending the day outside with my husband. Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

Mazzolari Patchouly for St.Valentine's Day, haven't decided for evening yet.
    Last edited by chaelaran1008; 14th February 2009 at 05:04 PM.

I am fundamentally wearing Roja Dove Scandal, with added spritzes in town of Crystal Noir (I like this - it is how I expected Secret Obsession to smell. I must be a closet gardenia lover...well I do like Jasmin Noir and this is a similarly, slightly smouldering number, perfect for a trip to Wickes to buy cable ties). Then on to Lidl next door, where I succumbed to a squirt of SUDDENLY D'OR eau de parfum, which costs all of £2.72 - or around that figure.

D'you know what - it is not half bad for the money! I might even buy a bottle next time. I wish I knew what the notes are. Am guessing this is an oriental. Oh, and I didn't bother with the other one in the duo called "Fleurs".

All you European-based members, I urge you to have a sniff of this, and report back. Give it a while as the drydown is appreciably classier than the first impression.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

SotD was ORMONDE WOMAN by Ormonde Jayne
    SotE is MUSC RAVAGEUR by Frederic Malle

Today I'm wearing Bois 1920 Sutra Ylang. This may be the first traditional oriental I can love without reservation. Oh! It can be my Valentine!

Hugs and condolences to those with losses to mourn - I'm sorry, girls.

SotE is Gucci EdP I - snooze of a name, but I quite like the scent. Soapy heliotrope-ish goodness. A bit less pronounced floral than other heliotropes I've tried. I find my tolerance for certain brands of "soapiness" is slowly rising - the label "soapy" used to be enough to send me running for the nearest sink. Heliotrope-soap is good. Aldehyde-soap and rose-soap, not yet.
    I scored a sample in a Douglas store, where a 10ml bottle retailed voor 50-something euro. I got a 1.5ml sample filled to the brim! I know they're not usually stingy with samples, but this one amazed me. Maybe the girl who made me the sample was unaware of the pricing...
    Last edited by Morgaine; 14th February 2009 at 06:07 PM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Mazzolari Patchouli

Patchouli, spices, amber, and honey.

Mitsouko EdP, because I am a semi-aloof and mossy Valentine when I really ought to be a vanillic, sweet one.

Shadesofbleu and raindropsparkle -- I am thinking of you and I am sorry for your loss.

SOTD is, most prominently, Murasaki. Happy VDay all.

{{{{ Shadesofbleu nad raindropsparkle }}}} Hugs to you both in this tough time.

Parfumerie Generale Aomassai (thanks to bbBD!!)

Notes: caramel, toasted hazelnuts, licorice, bitter orange, spices, wenge wood, vetiver, balsam wood, incense, dried grasses, resins (from luckyscent.com)

On first spray, Aomassi is incredibly sweet, the main note being burnt and caramelized sugar. Under this note is something more "fresh" and green smelling--I was not sure what this could be, so I sprayed the fragrance on a tissue for slower development. The green note smells very much like celery to me, both watery and herbal. I find the smell of celery to be rather off-putting, and its presence really takes a note I find difficult (burnt sugar) and turns it into a nauseating mess. Imagine the combination of carbon (smoky, gritty), sugar (sweet), caramel (balsamic) and celery (medicinal, aquatic). I am pretty sure this is a love-it-or-hate-it combination of notes, and unfortunately, it is one that I find almost intolerable. I am thankful that there is not anything *wrong* with this accord, i.e., I have no headache, runny nose, nor any hyperosmia. I simply do not like it. And it doesn't help that it turns my stomach.

The top accord wears off after about an hour to reveal a sweet vanillic, powdery and light floral middle and base. The drydown is lovely, although not anything ground breaking. The powder is nicely subdued and never becomes harsh or sharp. The vanilla is well done, slightly woody and leathery, and does not venture into cooking extract territory. There is a tiny bit of spice which is barely perceptible. I am sure the spice helps round out the fragrance, especially since the sweetness carries all through the development. The very late drydown is faint, and smells vaguely dry, woody, spicy and powdery. Longevity is low, around 3 hours, and sillage is light to moderate. Aomassi seems quite feminine, but with its smoky and green top notes, a man may enjoy it also.
    Last edited by Asha; 14th February 2009 at 07:36 PM.

Serendipity IIISERENDIPITOUS

Thank you, TaoLady!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Eau de Badian by L'Occitane will be SotE

Top Notes
    Lemon, grapefruit, clary sage, basil

Middle Notes
    Green tea, star anise, fig, lentiscus

Base Notes
    Maté, blackcurrant, tarragon, liatrix
    Last edited by kbe; 14th February 2009 at 07:51 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

LILYBELLE! Your avatar is the cutest ~ and you smell nice too!

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Mitsouko EdP, because I am a semi-aloof and mossy Valentine when I really ought to be a vanillic, sweet one.
    Good for you, kid!

Demeter "Chocolate Covered Cherries"

Happy ACTUAL birthday, TurquoiseWater, and Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!

Oh, and my SotD is NANI, by Saffron James. It's the most romantic jasmine I know!

What a beautiful picture Haunani!

We actually don´t celebrate Valentine´s Day here in the more "rural" areas of the country. Hubby just laughed at me () when I suggested we could cook a romantic dinner TOGETHER. Eating out is not an option; no good restaurants around here, in fact no restaurants at all, not even McDonald´s!
    Good thing none of us are very romantic!

I have been wearing some "vintage" Emeraude today. The drydown is stunning!!

Happy birthday to you, Turquoisewater, and happy V-day to all who are celebrating.

Hugs and good thoughts to (((shadesofbleu))) and (((raindropsparkle)))!!

Happy Valentine's Day
    I wish everyone
    an open heart full of joy and peace

Today I wear Eau de Star by Thierry Mugler
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Hugs to shadesofbleu and raindropsparkle -- sending warm thoughts your way.

Wearing the lovely Shalimar today.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Hope everyone had a lovely day.

I am enjoying a three day weekend and started by sleeping away most of this one!

Wearing Scherrer 2 today

Basenotes Institution

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. Today I'm wearing Genie De Bois and then Midnight Violet when it wears off.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Happy Valentine's Day!
    I received my Vanille Galante today, so I am giving it a full wearing.
    Evenstar

summer means fireflys

Thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart for the hugs, kind thoughts, and warm words of support. It means the world to me.

I'm thinking of you too, raindropsparkle. I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm wearing Ambre Sultan today.

Sending birthday greetings to Turquoisewater

I've trademarked the color bleu

Roger and Gallet Blue Carnation (parfum) (thanks to ChantillyLace!!)

On first application from a dabber sample, Blue Carnation smells very sharp and almost leathery. The opening accord has a slight plastic edginess combined with antiseptic herbal and clove notes. I am pretty sure it is not leather I smell, but it is very evocative of the smell of modern industrially produced leather products. I am really drawn into this fragrance which so far is not terribly gentle nor floral. I am reminded of leathery chypres, especially some of the classics. However, I am certain it is the olfactory imagery of a perfect carnation blossom that provides such a rich and colorful sensation. BC's complexity gives contrasting cues of a herbal, medicinal, and cool (almost mentholated) side along with sweet, embracing floral nectar and warm spices.

As BC begins to settle, it becomes less leathery, and the central carnation accord takes shape with its fresh, dewey and soft diffuseness surrounding a direct and powerful clove and bay spiced heart. It is so beautiful, it almost hurts to smell it. The fragrance is mostly linear in the middle stages, a true carnation soliflore. However, as it develops, BC becomes softer and creamier while still retaining its identity. The creamyness gradually increases while the spice recedes. Even two hours into the fragrance, BC smells of a crisp, living carnation.

I can hardly believe that this fragrance was an early 20th century creation. It smells clean, clear, bracing, modern--and, not artificial. I can't understand why Roger and Gallet would discontinue such a transcendent fragrance. On the other hand, I can't see BC fitting into the latest fashion trends. It is classic, well made, different (not very many *good* carnation soliflores out there) and very pleasing to wear. I love carnation and am very picky about how it is represented in fragrance. Blue Carnation meets and exceeds my expectations--it is unassuming and magnificent from beginning to end.

Happy Birthday, Turquoisewater!

Many happy and healthy returns of the day.

Valentine's day can be so good, and so hard. The over arching theme of the day, though, is about feeling special and loved. I hope we all can feel something good from the day, and dispense of the parts that can be challenging (the commercialism, the expectations...). I do think this holiday has at least ONE thing right: it involves lots of chocolate. I wish all of you a lovely day.

Shades and Raindrop: Take good care.

It's been a hard day so far. Unexpectedly, a much harder day than I anticipated. There was an emergency trip this morning to the vet. Not good news for a very special, beloved kitty. I may not be able to wait until tomorrow, when all the chocolate goes on sale.

I'm wearing Jasmin de Nuit by TDC, from my new bottle that just arrived.

AM: Pink Sugar
    PM: Soir de Lune by Sisley

Penhaligon's Extract of Limes
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

((((((RainDropSparkle and Shadesofbleu)))))). I'm so sorry for your losses.

Happy birthday wishes to turquoisewater and a Happy V-Day to all.

DH and I were supposed to go winetasting today, but someone strained a core muscle doing yoga. (I've always maintained exercise is bad for your health, and this is further proof!) So I'm taking it easy today, then DH is cooking us dinner.

Many thanks to tang , today I'm trying Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille for the first time. I'm practically drooling, this is so gorgeous. So far I'm getting a smoky, dry vanilla combined with a pipe tobacco that for once isn't too heavy on the cherry.

Who'da thunk, given that I have little success with either vanilla-heavy frags or Guerlains? Of course, trust me to love a hard-to-find limited edition.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 15th February 2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Got turquoise's name wrong the first time - duh!
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Happy Valentine's Day to all...been working extra hours and have not been able to log on much lately.

Today I am Attrape Couer , my wedding fragrance, for love's sake

This past week I have been wearing L'Heure Bleu and Attrape Couer. feeling romantic.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE!!!!!!!

SoTD for me was Hypnotic Poison

SoTE is Incanto by Salvatore Ferragamo (warm, rich, and lovely for a perfect evening out)
    www.rigosplace.com

...xXjEnNyXx...

====MY ADDICTION====

<3<3 PERFUME<3<3

sotd Tartar Leather (profumo.it)
    sote Possets Madame X

happy valentine's day!

At my lovely wife's request I am wearing:

Tom Ford Noir de Noir

I don't know how the night is going to end but I'm feeling pretty good about it.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

C&E Evelyn. My all time fav.

I just wanted to wish everyone a happy Valentine's Day.
    I wore Attrape-Coeur and now I am wearing Amande Sucree (Sinfonia di Note), both samples. Thank you dimples and lizzie_j.