Code of Conduct

Smile New member with is first sampling review ;)

Hi all! This is my first post and I just want to say that this site have help me a lot so far to guide me in the world of fragrances! The only perfume I was wearing so far was polo sport and aqua di gio lol I was in need of something more original so I came here and realise that sampling fragrances is quite addictive!

A couple of weeks ago I have buy some samples at theperfumedcourt so after some testing im gonna share my tought with you. My vocabulary to describe fragrances is quite simple ate the moment but im still learning

Musc Ravageur:
    I fall in love with this scent! Went the vanilla kicks in and mix with the musc and the other notes i just cant stopping smeeling it! lol I need one bottle but so far theres only some decants at theperfumedcourt or buy a bottle at http://www.editionsdeparfums.com but this one is a little bit pricey!

I have buy a small bottle of Rochas man, body kouros and lolita lempicka au masculin from fragrancenet.

Rochas man:
    Nice gourmand, not hard too wear really casual, kinda inoffensive, I like Lolita lempicka more because of is personality. I dont mind wearing Rochas man but Im just not in love with im enought to wear it often.

Lolita Lempicka au masculin:
    Long lasting on me, a lot of perfume only last a couple of hours so its a good point for him, good sillage too , a little bit intoxicating. After 20 minutes the first blast of liquorice is less in your face and beter blended with the rest of tne notes.

Body kouros:
    Fall in love fast but it want long i got tired almost tired of it. Long lasting but the sillage is non existant on me , i can almost bath in it and nobody notice it. He stay close to my skin. I find it linear maybe too much, wasnt smeeling deep enough on my skin.

Comme des garçon 2:
    Didn't like it! On my skin was smelling so feminine, it was like wearing powder. So i guest it didn't work for me.

GIT:
    Got a good lasting on me, like the scent but i read that coolwater is almost a carbon copy of it. A lot of people wear cool water here, One day i got a ex girfriend who tell me 4 of is ex was wearing cool water, so my goal here was to find something original so i like it, really good scent but if i smell like every guy no thanx.

MI:
    Another good creed, smell weird on my skin at first but was good after, Would wear this for the summer but again unforgivable seem to have copy it so i try another creed. Doesn't last long.

Silver mountain water:
    This is the next creed I have tried! Small sillage , doesn't last long. Scent good for every occasion. I Really like it maybe im gonna buy it if the new I am king is not another copy.

Himalaya:
    Like it, good lasting, good sillage, Fresh, anonyme, ;acking some personality but definitely a well made scent. Not on my buy list.

A men:
    In your face fragrance! Smell synthetic and cheap at first and all over the place. Didn't like it. Have already smell some cheap food toy smelling like this. But the drydown after like 4 hours when the fragrance is calming down and a hint of musk kick in is really hot! I dont want to wait all day to smell nice so im gonna pass on this one.

Platinum Egoist:
    Was smelling too perfumy or synthetic on me, doesn't impress me.

Black Orchid:
    Some call it female fragrance , others unisex, for me its a unisex. I find it more on the masculin side. Its mature, mysterious, sexy, long lasting, pricey lol but i need this one! Something about it remind me of a Hillary Duff perfume that one of my other ex was wearing but much better!

John Varvatos:
    Fall in love again! Its gonna be my signature scent! I love the sweetness of it blending with some rare indian notes, the spice and fruitness. Must have for me!

Rose 31:
    Really well made rose scent, I love it, more masculin than I tought (goog thing) I like it but its not something I want to smell i guest, not my cup of tea.

Kouros:
    Smells like the 80’s, Drydown is nice, animalistic, incense, some notes remind of urinal cake, not gonna wear it no need to buy lol

Terre d'hermes:
    Nice peppery scent, the kind of scent your wear at the office, inoffensive, not my cup of tea.

New haarlem:
    Rochas man twin. More creamy and more on the food side than is brother, more powerfull too, nice goumand , but with rochas man already and for much cheaper too i think im ok with the first.

Envy:
    Nice frag but smell too synthetic on my skin.

Burberry London:
    Really well made fragrance! I just dont like the tobaco note but if this note doesn't bother you its a good casual scent for the winter.

Fahrenheit:
    Nice floral notes in it! Good scent, just better choice out there for me.

Dirty english:
    Gonna buy it, so well made! Love everything about it! So much notes i just can't describe it but like it a lot.

Minotaure:
    Fresh and warm at the same time, change a lot during the day, long lasting, love the vanilla scent at the end.

Haven't try The Dreamer so i can't talk about it maybe tomorrow!

So On my buy list so far, Musc Ravageur( maybe a decant because its pricey), John Varvatos, Dirty English, Black Orchid (maybe a decant because its pricey) I need something fresh like silver mountain water so maybe this one too , dont know yet.

This is it about my first experience in testing fragrances! If you have some recommendation on fragrances to try your welcome!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: New member with is first sampling review ;)

Welcome _FP_ - great comments and it looks like you're on your way to finding and acquiring wonderful fragrances.

Please try Terre de Hermes by Hermes, Gucci Pour Homme by Gucci and Vetiver by Guerlain.

You also should check out the Just Starting boards for a lot more information for new members like yourself.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th November 2008 at 10:34 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Wow, very impressive start and great comment too. Welcome!

I liked your post, the prfumcourt does have nice sample packs from the base awards.
    the powdery smell may grow on you, but it is an aquired taste
    thanks for sharing

Great post, FP. Glad to have you with us.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Welcome to Basenotes......Sounds like You are on Your way to spending a bunch of money......Great posts about these scents.
    Gary

Yeah probably gonna try Vetiver by Guerlain next time it really seems to have a lots of nice review im curious to smeel it. Need to try too Rive Gauche pour homme By YSL, Geir by Geir Ness, MKK by Serge Lutens and Erolfa by creed.

Theres no sample of Rive gauche and Geir at Theperfumedcourt so im gonna have to find some elsewhere. After this i think im gonna need to slow down cause yeah its startng to coast a bunch of money lol

Thanks for the comments guys!

Nice post, good descriptions and I share many.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Welcome to basenotes. Glad you like Musc Ravageur. If you dn't like A*Men, try B*Men, it is more "civilized" and quite a nice woody-gourmand designer scent. There's also the wonderful Identité by Rene Lezard, but that is hard to find in North America.

Some recommendations for fresh scents:
    Acqua di Parma Colonia (the best citrus-rose Eau de Cologne)
    Anglia Perfumery Spiced Limes (wonderful, er.., spicy lime)
    Creed Original Vetiver (the best recent Creed IMO)
    Eau de Rochas pour homme (vintage, if possible)

Some heavier ones you may like:
    Caron Third Man (one of the best masculines ever)
    C&S No. 88 (a complex masculine rose-spice-wood)
    Mazzolari Lui (power power power)
    Bois 1920 Sandalo e Thé (refined sweet oriental)

I'd also recommend Creed Bois du Portugal, which I find fa better than SMW, Himalaya and MI.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I really love these type of posts! You have tested some real good frags there, I personally love Musc Ravageur so I'm glad you liked it as well, and I love all the Creeds you tried except for Green Irish Tweed. Keep smelling and welcome buddy.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 26th November 2008 at 01:07 PM.

Welcome aboard, you obviously put a lot of effort into this post. As time goes by you will refine your tastes and expand your sensitivity to notes and mixtures. Hope you enjoy the process and spend your money wisely. We will watch your progress with interest.

Caron Third Man (one of the best masculines ever) <--- Now I am truly oblied to test it. Is it as surprising as Yatagan?
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Caron Third Man (one of the best masculines ever) <--- Now I am truly oblied to test it. Is it as surprising as Yatagan?
    No, it's far more conservative, or "classic" if your prefer. But, either way, perfect.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

As many have said, great first post! I am pretty new to this also and appreciate the descriptions that are a little more simplified than many you will find here, although those are very helpful in their own way.

Much of my wardrobe is included here and I agree with many of your opinions.

I'll be interested to hear your opinion of Guerlain Vetiver. From the frags you have sampled I would guess that you skew younger than average on the board, as do I. I tested Vetiver at Sephora about two weeks ago, and was angry that I had to make another stop before I could get home to wash it off!

Good post, but I would recommend not getting fragrances like Lolita Lempicka, TdH, John Varvatos, Burberry London, Rochas Man, Body Kouros, Dirty english, Fahrenheit, and Gucci Envy from The Perfumed Court simply because they are mainstream and can be found in any fragrance shop if you want to try them. Also, you can try to do some "cold" emailing to a bunch of companies to see if they could send you samples...Some will.
    Last edited by leor_77; 26th November 2008 at 05:41 PM.

hey fp
    i'm also new guy here

IMHO u should try herrera scents: specialy chic, 212 and aqua. they r quite specific - u like it or not. i'm in the first group. those scents are so easy to wear. for me it's really pleasent.
    also try unisex scents from hermes ( 3x un jardin...)

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Welcome to basenotes. Glad you like Musc Ravageur. If you dn't like A*Men, try B*Men, it is more "civilized" and quite a nice woody-gourmand designer scent. There's also the wonderful Identité by Rene Lezard, but that is hard to find in North America.

Some recommendations for fresh scents:
    Acqua di Parma Colonia (the best citrus-rose Eau de Cologne)
    Anglia Perfumery Spiced Limes (wonderful, er.., spicy lime)
    Creed Original Vetiver (the best recent Creed IMO)
    Eau de Rochas pour homme (vintage, if possible)

Some heavier ones you may like:
    Caron Third Man (one of the best masculines ever)
    C&S No. 88 (a complex masculine rose-spice-wood)
    Mazzolari Lui (power power power)
    Bois 1920 Sandalo e Thé (refined sweet oriental)

I'd also recommend Creed Bois du Portugal, which I find fa better than SMW, Himalaya and MI.
    Wow nice bunch of recommendation! Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    (One of the best masculines ever) Yeah such a tease! How can you not try it lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
    As many have said, great first post! I am pretty new to this also and appreciate the descriptions that are a little more simplified than many you will find here, although those are very helpful in their own way.

Much of my wardrobe is included here and I agree with many of your opinions.

I'll be interested to hear your opinion of Guerlain Vetiver. From the frags you have sampled I would guess that you skew younger than average on the board, as do I. I tested Vetiver at Sephora about two weeks ago, and was angry that I had to make another stop before I could get home to wash it off!
    Will let you know as soon as I try it For my age im 27, I don't know if guerlain vetiver is too old or mature but if its the case I can always smell it just for the fun of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Good post, but I would recommend not getting fragrances like Lolita Lempicka, TdH, John Varvatos, Burberry London, Rochas Man, Body Kouros, Dirty english, Fahrenheit, and Gucci Envy from The Perfumed Court simply because they are mainstream and can be found in any fragrance shop if you want to try them. Also, you can try to do some "cold" emailing to a bunch of companies to see if they could send you samples...Some will.
    Thx for the tips!
    Quote Originally Posted by da_markos View Post
    hey fp
    i'm also new guy here

IMHO u should try herrera scents: specialy chic, 212 and aqua. they r quite specific - u like it or not. i'm in the first group. those scents are so easy to wear. for me it's really pleasent.
    also try unisex scents from hermes ( 3x un jardin...)
    I take a quick look at these scents and some of them seems interesting, theres seems to have a lot of variations of 212. Since your new here too , welcome too!

Welcome _FP_ Love your reviews. I could learn much from you. I consider myself a minimalist, to say the least. Please post more.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 26th November 2008 at 08:34 PM.