Code of Conduct

Default Caron 3rd Man: A "user friendly" Paco Rabanne Pour Homme?

I've recently acquired Caron's 3rd Man, and Paco Rabanne Pour Homme was already in my collection. Whilst Paco isn't getting much play these days it is still held in very high regard. After sampling 3rd Man it immediately occurred to me that these aromatic fougeres have some striking similarities.
    The lavender accord in both is there from start to end and both have a floral nuance in their heart notes. The musky notes in the dry-down provide for a slight "dirtyness".
    Where I view them as different is that the 3rd Man is a bit more floral, less soapy, and softer overall; a bit less animalic perhaps.
    I'm very impressed with Caron's 3rd Man and would even dare venture that it could be considered a more "user friendly" Paco.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Caron 3rd Man: A "user friendly" Paco Rabanne Pour Homme?

i think Paco Rabanne is already very user friendly......so user friendly that i roll right through bottles of it....have been through 2 small 50ML bottles in the past year...i always got compliments for it. Speaking of which...i need to get another bottle soon.

I don't really like 3rd Man the way i like PR....PR is just a stone cold classic, it exudes a confidence and swagger that not many 'older' fragrances can carry......it is one of a kind, as far as i'm concerned. i've only tried 3rd Man once...and i liked it, but couldn't get myself to think of it as a replacement for PR.

Great Jones by Bond No.9 is a very very good imitation of Paco Rabanne....but not worth getting, as the original has just as much sillage and longetivity....
    Last edited by everso; 25th November 2008 at 11:55 PM.

smeller

Perhaps a much sweeter Paco Rabanne.

Both are very "user friendly", but in these gourmandy/unisex era, 3rd Man perhaps is more appealing to the new generation.

I do not see the connection.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Paco Rabanne rocks...and therefore rolls. Wear 2X week, but usually weekends. The soapiness at work is too redolent.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i think Paco Rabanne is already very user friendly......so user friendly that i roll right through bottles of it....have been through 2 small 50ML bottles in the past year...i always got compliments for it. Speaking of which...i need to get another bottle soon.

I don't really like 3rd Man the way i like PR....PR is just a stone cold classic, it exudes a confidence and swagger that not many 'older' fragrances can carry......it is one of a kind, as far as i'm concerned. i've only tried 3rd Man once...and i liked it, but couldn't get myself to think of it as a replacement for PR.

Great Jones by Bond No.9 is a very very good imitation of Paco Rabanne....but not worth getting, as the original has just as much sillage and longetivity....
    I agree that PR is a classic that can stand on its own. My post was more the validity of offering Caron 3rd Man as a "softer" alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    Perhaps a much sweeter Paco Rabanne.

Both are very "user friendly", but in these gourmandy/unisex era, 3rd Man perhaps is more appealing to the new generation.
    Very well put, that's the point I was making, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    I do not see the connection.
    The lavender, musk, and floral accords are similar to my nose.

I don't detect a similarity to 3rd Man and Paco Rabanne. Now, to my nose, 3rd Man and the Alain Delon Classic (AD) smell nearly identical.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

smeller

I don't see Paco Rabanne as floral as the Caron, but the soapy lavender (much more dominating in the Paco, though) is a common point, certainly, and Azzaro PH is also part of the team.

Nevertheless, some would argue that 3me Homme is less aromatic, and more towards the oriental side.

They both are *****s in my book. The one thing they share is a sweetness, Paco's from a honey note and 3rd Man's from florals.

Perhaps in componentry, the notes per se, there may be similarites....but my nose is not so keen as to pick out the individual notes. In the big picture, I see the two as distinctive from one another yet I would not say the difference is jarring; not like comparing Jaipur to Acqua di Gio....I mean, that pairing is WAY off from one another, but......

OK, here's a good way for me to put it. If any of you out there are familiar with legendary guitarists, I would place Paco Rabanne PH as, say, Eric Clapton: Confident, earthy, accessible. Now, Third Man would be represented by Jeff Beck....deeper, soulful, yet complex in texture. These two gentleman started down similar roads in there journeys on a professional level (They were both in the Yardbirds) and moved in different directions, but they are distinctive of one another, yet....complimentary nonetheless.

I hope that made some sense.......
    Last edited by Richie_B; 26th November 2008 at 12:54 PM.

if 3rd man smells anything like paco I am in ! ... Paco is unrepeatable though.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I own both the juices and like both in their own way. Anyway Paco has very few to share with 3rd man: just maybe the lavender soapy accord of the fougère family and a touch of sage, then where Paco is sweet-animalic from honey, 3rd man is sweet floral from jasmin. One had a musky base, the latter a woody base. moreover the aromatics in paco are more herbal while in 3rd man are more fruity (fennel seed, tangerine peel, almond). Both are aromatic fougère but with a very different twist in them.

I can almost smell it magnifiscent , thanks a bunch
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I do not see the connect either with Paco - 3rd Man is more in line with Tiffany for men and Chanel Pour Monsieur

Well, after reading all the above I was wondering if my memory was letting me down and I was missing something. So I sprayed some of each on different hands, and did a direct comparison.

Paco Rabane is a sharp herbal scent, Third Man is a soft, sweet, somewhat floral scent.

They're both very good, they're both aromatic fougeres, but to my nose, as far as the notes and overall effect goes, and regardless of accords - they're nearly as different as chalk and cheese.

Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th November 2008 at 03:32 PM.

I also did a spray test last night (PR on the left and 3rd man on the right) and I agree the heartnotes are different where 3rd man is floral to PR's predominant herbal notes. The dry-down offers a common musk accord that was also detectable by the wife ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Well, after reading all the above I was wondering if my memory was letting me down and I was missing something. So I sprayed some of each on different hands, and did a direct comparison.

Paco Rabane is a sharp herbal scent, Third Man is a soft, sweet, somewhat floral scent.

They're both very good, they're both aromatic fougeres, but to my nose, as far as the notes and overall effect goes, and regardless of accords - they're nearly as different as chalk and cheese.

Renato

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I also did a spray test last night (PR on the left and 3rd man on the right) and I agree the heartnotes are different where 3rd man is floral to PR's predominant herbal notes. The dry-down offers a common musk accord that was also detectable by the wife ;-)
    I must gauge scents by their basenotes.

I originally got a small bottle of Paco Rabanne as a freebie with another purchase - and I disliked it intensely. It took quite some time for it to grow on me.

By way of contrast, Third Man I liked the instant I reveived the bottle from a blind buy.
    Renato