Code of Conduct

Default Dyptique L'Eau Trois

Searching for a myrrh fragrance, I was recommended Dyptique's L'Eau Trois.

It's really unfortunate that Dyptique has discontinued its entire fragrance line prior to its 2008 releases. I've only tried two, Opone, a great rose-saffron fragrance, and now L'Eau Trois, my holy grail myrrh fragrance. If they're any indication of the quality of this line, the fragrance world has indeed lost something special.

It would be wrong to classify L'Eau Trois as purely an incense fragrance. Myrrh is always the starring note, but this is a fragrance that is atypical of incense fragrance accords. Dyptique mentions Northern Greece is its description of this fragrance, and sure enough, it reminds me more of garrigue fragrances such as Fleurs de Sel and Eau d'Empire more than the likes of Avignon or most orientals.

The top notes arrive dry, woody, and almost medicinal; myrrh, as ever, to the fore. Thyme and rosemary are prominent, among the notes I can identify, and there is a salty tang in the top that L'Eau Trois shares with Fleurs de Sel.

I'm beginning to suspect thyme is the note that partially creates or at least modifies the "salty" quality I detect in both fragrances.

Through the heart oregano makes itself known, adding a slightly culinary twist, modified by what my nose perceives as pine, lavender and something civet-like ( which I don't see listed in either the official notes or any reviews, but I definitely smell something animalic here ).

Slowly the vegetal elements fade out one by one, leaving a warm, smoky ghost of myrrh on my skin.

Though this is EdT strength, it has EdC sillage. This is a quiet skin scent if ever there was one, and six sprays gives me decent but quite subtle sillage. Conversely, longevity is excellent, lasting well over twenty-four hours on me.

It would be interesting to see what a parfum extrait version of this would be like, though I'd be happy just to see the EdT back on the shelves again. I recently received a bottle of this from a fellow Basenoter, and I'm already eyeing the few sites that still sell it for back-up bottles.

To fans of myrrh and fans of garrigue-style fragrances, as well as fans of unusual fragrances in general, I highly recommend this.

Default Re: Dyptique L'Eau Trois

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    To fans of myrrh and fans of garrigue-style fragrances, as well as fans of unusual fragrances in general, I highly recommend this.

Excellent review!
    L'Eau Trois is the only scent that reminds me of a landscape:
    summer middays in the (southern ) Greece of my childhood.

I also like Diptyque's L'Autre, another discontinued gem.

Back to myrrh, another favorite of mine, but in a different genre (and non-oriental) is Serge Lutens'/C. Sheldrake's La Myrrhe.

Basenotes Institution

I don't think I really know what myrrh smells like. I hope to encounter LET and find out - it sounds quite distinct.

I will agree with you that most fragrances featuring thyme smell 'salty' to me also.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I love the way L'Eau Trois smells...but it disappears on me almost instantly.

Also: I thought Diptyque only discontinued five pre-2008 fragrances: L'Autre, L'Eau Trois, Virgilio, Opone, and Eau d'Elide. That's enough damage to a wonderful line (of those five, I've only smelled L'Eau Trois and Virgilio and both are superb), but at least we have Tam Dao and the rest of the pre-2008 DIptyque scents in production!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I don't think I really know what myrrh smells like. I hope to encounter LET and find out - it sounds quite distinct.
    Myrrh is an odd note... smoky, rubbery, resinous, medicinal, slightly earthy, and only very slightly sweet. The Eau d'Italie line has a bit of an obsession with it, but it's only one note among many in Bois d'Ombrie and not really "true" to my nose in Peastum Rose ( there's smoky earthiness, but not distinctly myrrh to my nose ).

One of the things I like about L'Eau Trois is that it balances the medicinal tang inherent in myrrh nicely - it's present enough to be truly myrrh, but not so heavy you get the feeling old ladies should be rubbing it on their joints.

Basenotes Institution

I see that myrrh is in Santalum by Profumum (along with sandalwood and cinnamon) and I think I detect a 'medicinal' element to that scent, so maybe I do know what it smells like. Thanks for that explanation Galamb.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks for this post, GB. You motivated me to try my Eau Trois again, with myrrh in mind.
    Eau Trois is a fantastic scent. It is very powerful, and has an uncompromising tone. Initially I get an impression of turpentine. Those dry, aromatic resin notes have amazing longevity on me, I still smell them 6 hours later. I appreciate the herbs and pine here very much. It is a good garrigue-style scent, to be sure.
    I'm still trying to learn and understand myrrh. I have myrrh soap, which has a languid, dreamy, slightly sweet and perfumed quality. And I get that same quality in Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir.
    But I don't get it here. Eau Trois seems very much like Bois D'Orage or Bois D'Encens in its super-dry, resinous aspect. Can anybody enlighten me on this difference?
    Cheers
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    It's really unfortunate that Dyptique has discontinued its entire fragrance line prior to its 2008 releases.
    What? What am I getting wrong here?
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I have myrrh soap, which has a languid, dreamy, slightly sweet and perfumed quality. And I get that same quality in Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir.
    But I don't get it here. Eau Trois seems very much like Bois D'Orage or Bois D'Encens in its super-dry, resinous aspect. Can anybody enlighten me on this difference?
    Cheers
    Is there a place in your area that sells essential oils? The easiest way to get some understanding of the basic qualities of myrrh is to smell it in essential oil form.

Burning pure myrrh resin is nice too, but not as easy as obtaining the oil.

Bois D'Orage and L'Eau Trois are similar - they both have that Mediterranean herbal "garrigue" quality - but I can assure you that unlike Bois D'Orage, myrrh is the star note here.

I've seen you mention Ayala Moriel fragrances in other posts - have you tried her Razala? It's quite myrrh-heavy, but is a totally different treatment of the note than in L'Eau Trois. There it is greatly sweetened with tuberose.

Unfortunately I can't comment on Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir; I haven't tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    What? What am I getting wrong here?
    My mistake - PhinClio has the correct information.

Basenotes Institution

Ever so often I pick rosemary out of the tiny garden Ray has planted along the side of our house. Usually this manages to make my hands smell like torn rosemary branches for hours. L' Eau Trois replicates this smell beautifully, with a strong incense vibe and grounds it all with a nice healthy dose of myrrh. Most myrrh prominent fragrances I have smelled, up to this point, have been sweet. So, it's a pleasant surprise to smell one that is dry, dry, dry like this one.

An amazing smell, I'm glad I experienced it before it became scarce to get a hold of.

This really hits the sweet spot, when it comes to a strong, herbal presence in a fragrance. Amazing! But unlike some of the Villoresi line or the MPG's, L' Eau Trois is not as sharp. The smell is very natural. Strangely so, because of this, the scent is IMO not really a wearable fragrance as much as it is a wonderful smell.

-- Eckhart Tolle

L'Eau Trois is a gem of a fragrance indeed. Glad I have a bottle.