Code of Conduct

Default Christmas gift for 18 year old sister ?

Any recommendations for a Christmas gift fragrance for my 18 year old sister would be very much appreciated . I would say she was designer rather than Niche and she currently uses Prada EDP and Chanel Coco Madmoiselle

Thanks in advance from her baffled big brother

Default Re: Christmas gift for 18 year old sister ?

I think she has nice taste in fragrance. Here are some suggestions...

Chanel No. 5 Sensual Elixir
    Chanel No. Eau Premiere
    Marc Jacobs Daisy
    Prada Infusion d’Iris
    Gucci by Gucci edp
    Dior Midnight Poison
    Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb
    Tom Ford White Patchouli
    Dolce & Gabbana The One

Smile Re: Christmas gift for 18 year old sister ?

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I think she has nice taste in fragrance. Here are some suggestions...

Chanel No. 5 Sensual Elixir
    Chanel No. Eau Premiere
    Marc Jacobs Daisy
    Prada Infusion d’Iris
    Gucci by Gucci edp
    Dior Midnight Poison
    Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb
    Tom Ford White Patchouli
    Dolce & Gabbana The One
    Those are all great suggestions.
    I would also consider one of the Sephora fragrance sampler/gift cards. There are three different ones, but basically you purchase one for $50, and you get 10 (or so) scent samples. Then your sister choses the one she loves most, and goes to Sephora to redeem her card for a full bottle of the fragrance she has chosen. Plus she gets to keep all of the samples. Of course, you must have a Sephora nearby..??? You can't redeem online though you can buy the giftcard/samples online (?)...

Other random suggestions...
    The Marc Jacobs Splash series is nice. I like "Rain".
    Les Filles des Iles Floral Solaire is beautiful, and my 12 year old (going on 22) loves it. It's actually not super young.
    Serentipity 3 makes Serendipitous which is a scrumptious chocolate fragrance and can be had online for $37.50 PM me if you want the etailer where I saw this...I can't remember but can find it. Lizzie.
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 26th November 2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: added info

Both the Prada and the Chanel have a fruity vibe in it with a woody or ambery base that's not too strong but rather chypreish quality, so everything steers the choice to Fendi Palazzo that shares the letchee vibe in Coco Madamoiselle and the floral orange blossom touch in Prada.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    I would also consider one of the Sephora fragrance sampler/gift cards. There are three different ones, but basically you purchase one for $50, and you get 10 (or so) scent samples. Then your sister choses the one she loves most, and goes to Sephora to redeem her card for a full bottle of the fragrance she has chosen. Plus she gets to keep all of the samples. Of course, you must have a Sephora nearby..??? You can't redeem online though you can buy the giftcard/samples online (?)...
    Oooooohhhhh...so that's how that works. I saw that at Sephora and thought $50 for some samples seemed pretty steep (but what do I know, everything seems expensive to me). I didn't know there was a card you could go back and redeem for a full bottle. That's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Oooooohhhhh...so that's how that works. I saw that at Sephora and thought $50 for some samples seemed pretty steep (but what do I know, everything seems expensive to me). I didn't know there was a card you could go back and redeem for a full bottle. That's a great idea.
    Like ANY full bottle, or $50 credit towards a FB? If its any bottle, it's a great deal. Thanks Lizzie_j! I had no idea. That is a great suggestion for a gift.

My first thought (and I guess I second/third this) is Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere. She may appreciate it as her second Chanel, and it's very wearable and youthful. If you buy it somewhere like Sephora or Nordstrom's and she really doesn't like it, it's easy to return and exchange too. If the Prada she wears is the original, then the newer Prada, Infusion d'Iris is a great one to try. Also, if she likes the original Prada (heavy amber) she may enjoy Estee Lauder's Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang. It's a comforting scent that an 18 year old could wear, I just worry that it may seem a little too grown up by the bottle and name. Or that could work in your favor: It's a great fragrance that may actually set her apart from her peers. I doubt other ladies her age are aware of it enough to dip into it, and it is youthful and sophisticated. Your sister sounds like she has very sophisticated tastes.

Oh, and what a sweet brother you are!

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    Like ANY full bottle, or $50 credit towards a FB? If its any bottle, it's a great deal. Thanks Lizzie_j! I had no idea. That is a great suggestion for a gift.
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's any full bottle, but a full bottle from the choices in the sample set. Still, it's a great deal. My sister loved the set I bought her last year.

I thought the Trendsetters for her looked interesting. Nina, Vivara, Infusion d'Iris, and L are all youthful but more individiual. http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...categoryId=B23
    “Auntie Mame [is] a froth of whipped cream and champagne and daydreams and Nuit de Noël perfume. She's not mortal at all.”- Patrick Dennis

Would you consider the Diptyque line? I think Tam Dao (sandalwood with a hint of spice) or Philosykos (all about coconut to me) are both fantastic. They're young, and have a very uplifting, clean and elegant feel to them.

Infusion d'Iris is also a great suggestion.

Also let me suggest my all time favorite: Miss Dior Cherie.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Good call Mostapha, I was just thinking of Miss Dior Cherie too.

Also love the Flowerbomb recommendation. If she likes Coco Mmle, she'll probably like Chance but I'm not too sure whether there's enough difference between the two to warrant buying the Chance.