Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: A subtle and skillful use of fruit notes in fragrances - your favorite?

Surprised no one has yet mentioned Michael for Men (Michael Kors), definitely my favorite when it comes to fruit notes. Smoke, honey and dried fruit and plums; sublime and superb.

Default Re: A subtle and skillful use of fruit notes in fragrances - your favorite?

I agree with Quixotiq that the green mango in Timbuktu is very nice. Dzonghka has lychee listed as the first note. I wouldn't have identified it as lychee, but I do love that unusual, subtle fruitiness in Dzonghka's opening!

In thinking about men's fragrances, I love the use of Medjool date in my husband's John Varvatos. I would call it subtle. I love the list of notes in JV - don't know Ajowan or Eaglewood (?):

Top Notes
    Medjool Date Fruit, Mediterranean Herbs, West Indian Tamarind Tree Leaves

Middle Notes
    Coriander Seed Templar, Clary Sage Flower, Indian Ajowan

Base Notes
    Auramber, Vanilla CO2, Balsams, Eaglewood, Vanilla, Black Leather

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So many fragrances utilize fruit notes in such a loud, bracing and sharp way, that when I encounter a scent that presents it's fruit note deftly and gentle - I sit up and take notice. Peach is not really a favorite fruit of mine, and of course there are a ton of bath, body and cleaning products scented with peach (and apple, and berries) that I can pick up at my local supermarket. Perhaps for this reason, fruit scents tend to bore my nose. Smelling cheap, fruit scented products, I realize how synthetic and loud they come off.
    Mm. Yeah, I'm not a fruit lover either, really. Probably the best somewhat fruity fragrance I've found so far is Neil Morris' Woodland Strawberries. Not a fruity-floral. It's more of a fruity-woody. Sandalwood.

(My least-liked fruity fragrance? Sentiment for women by Escada epitomizes what I do not like about fruity florals.)

Acier Aluminum is good too. Some say it smells like bananas. I can see how it smells that way in a vial, but on my skin it smells like sweet oranges.
    Chanel Allure Adition Balanche. Pineapple?
    Another Fruity fragrance I wear is Obsession night. (for woman)
    I will second Haunani's mention of John Varvatos.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I love the smell of dried fruits in Egoiste.

I also enjoy the apricot scent in Daim Blonde.
    Not a popular choice around here...but I like Louve's cherry smell. I have not bought a bottle because I am not sure I want to smell like that, but I like to smell my sample on occassion.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Acier Aluminum is good too. Some say it smells like bananas. I can see how it smells that way in a vial, but on my skin it smells like sweet oranges.
    Oo! Yes yes! Acier Aluminum smells like jackfruit to me, and I like that unusualness very much!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Biehl's AL02 has a wonderful hot apple cider note that is very subtle, as is the whole fragrance on my skin. I'm not sure why it's there, as the fruit notes are supposed to be plum, peach and mandarin, but there it is anyhow.
    Aw hell, he beat me to it. biehl parfumkunstwerke al02 is probably my favorite fruit fragrance currently, and is probably the best fragrance in the biehl parfumkunstwerke lineup. Next up on deck for me is probably Ermenegildo Zegna Z Zegna Extreme, just for its masterful use of grapefruit. And, though I don't own it yet, DelRae Bois de Paradis has to be considered for its own amazing mélange of fig and blackberry.

biehl parfumkunstwerke al02
    I'm sampling this soon and looking forward to it!

As for well-done fruity notes I recently discovered (thanks to Veuve Amiot) ByRedo Pulp. It immediately reminded me of Jardin Sur Le Nil - not the same note, but the same quality in the note, if that makes sense. It's one of the fruitiest fruity frags I've smelled (possibly #1) so keep that in mind, but in general I don't go for fruity because they're so often overly sweet, but this one is quite gorgeous. Green, citrusy, jammy, bright.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Jean Pascal pour Homme - bergamot & pineapple.
    Pomegranate Noir - pomegranate, raspberry & plum
    XS pour Homme - bergamot, lemon & fruit notes
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Can you mention fruit in a fragrance withouy bringing up Kadota by Mike Storer? An excellent display of fig from top to bottom. Better than Philosykos in my opinion with far better longevity...
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

Feminite du Bois and the SL Bois series has gorgeous plummy/raisiny dried fruit notes.

Diorella has the best use of melon-on-the-verge-of-going-bad I have ever smelled.

Lancetti via Condotti pour homme - amazing peachy top notes
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil - beautiful unriped mango
    Acier Aluminium - lots of ripe bananas ( I can't imagine why some people can't smell bananas in this)

^Maybe not just plain bananas, but I've had a banana dessert dish where the bananas were seared in some type of sauce that Acier Aluminum does share something w/
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Azzaro Now is a fruity fragrance that I first smelled yesterday. I associate the smell with watermelon even though there are other notes in there. Marshalls has a 1.7 oz. bottle for $14.99 so that's some major bang for the buck. It got four stars from Luca Turin if that's worth anything.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: A subtle and skillful use of fruit notes in fragrances - your favorite?

mikeperez23 and others, If I could only have one fragrance from among all that I have tried thus far it would be Mitsouko and for all of the positive reason given in all of these messages. It was love at first sniff.

Opium pour homme Eau d'Orient has the most amazing grapefruit note...the grapefruit is existent throughout and makes it so 'delicious and edible'.

The mandarin note in Third Man by Caron. I think I read thatit was a special mandarin grown in Japan and the perfumer of this frag. was a Japanese lady.