Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default A subtle and skillful use of fruit notes in fragrances - your favorite?

I'm wearing Mitsouko (parfum) by Guerlain today and I am reminded of how wonderful the peach note is in this chypre.

Maybe it's the fact that the perfumer blended it with care and precision? Maybe it's the quality of the ingredients? Maybe because it's vintage Mitsouko and the ingredients in this juice (which are now banned) contribute to the overall effect? Maybe because it's the parfum version of the scent?

Whatever the reason - it's beautiful.

So many fragrances utilize fruit notes in such a loud, bracing and sharp way, that when I encounter a scent that presents it's fruit note deftly and gentle - I sit up and take notice. Peach is not really a favorite fruit of mine, and of course there are a ton of bath, body and cleaning products scented with peach (and apple, and berries) that I can pick up at my local supermarket. Perhaps for this reason, fruit scents tend to bore my nose. Smelling cheap, fruit scented products, I realize how synthetic and loud they come off.

Whereas with Mitsouko, the peach is dusty and imperceptibly aged. More like the olfactory impression of walking into a sunny kitchen, and there are peaches stacked up in a wooden bowl. You walk by the bowl and catch a gentle, natural whiff of the fruit. Just amazing.

A few other fragrances manage to do the same: Route du Vetiver by MPG and it's dark berry accord that deepens and dirties the vetiver. The bitter orange in Numero Uno by Carthusia - another fantastic chypre for men. The oh-so-subtle coconut accord which enhances Virgin Island Water by Creed.

Of course, there are many fragrances that feature very LOUD fruit notes, that I wear: Black Orchid by Tom Ford's decaying fruit note is one example. Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan is extremely pineapple prominent - there's no denying it and it is NOT subtle. Same for the strawberry in Black XS by Paco Rabanne. But then, it seems making a loud fruity scent is...easier, it seems, than producing a subtle and distinguished one.

What is an example of a subtle fruit note in one of your favorite fragrances?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: A subtle and skillful use of fruit notes in fragrances - your favorite?

There is a subtle citrusy note in Rose Poivree that is really well done, it enhances the rose without being too up front.
    Last edited by surreality; 26th November 2008 at 05:49 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Default Re: A subtle and skillful use of fruit notes in fragrances - your favorite?

the green mango note in un Jardin sur le nil by hermes..it smells more like the "taste" of unripe mango than the smell of the fruit itself...

i get a extemely beautiful note of banana in the opening accords of CK Escape too...
    Last edited by jenson; 26th November 2008 at 05:53 PM.

Hear hear on subtlety and Mitsouko's peach. I find in general Guerlain a master of subtlety. The mandarin in vintage Chant d'Arômes is weaved beautifully into the oak moss and vetiver, the peach in Guet-Apens is as beautiful as in Mitsouko, and the fruitiness of Nahema makes you endlessly wonder what you really smell there... Oh, and the plum of Parure, it's so weird that you can't but smile at it...

Un Jardin sur le Nil. I am not convinced the note I smell is Mango or not but it is very well done.
    The Bergamote in divine bergamote is, well, Divine.
    Philosykos: awesome fig.

Finally, I have to say that on my skin the coconut in VIW* is anything but subtle
    Last edited by irish; 26th November 2008 at 06:51 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    There is a subtle citrusy note in Rose Poivree that is really well done, it enhances the rose without being too up front.
    I never noticed that note in RP surreality - I'll have to find my sample of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    the green mango note in un Jardin sur le nil by hermes..it smells more like the "taste" of unripe mango than the smell of the fruit itself...
    Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Un Jardin sur le Nil. I am not convinced the note I smell is Mango or not but it is very well done.
    Totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    The mandarin in vintage Chant d'Arômes is weaved beautifully into the oak moss and vetiver...
    Oh yes - although I must admit to my nose, CdA is so much more about the vetiver. But yes, Guerlain, has pretty much mastered the art of subtle fruit notes. Even in the new, boring Aqua Allegoria's, the fruit tends be overall well done.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Not particular subtile, but very skillfully done and spectacular is 'Pulp' by a rather new house called 'ByRedo'.

It's the most lifelike reproduction of juicy, red fruit I have ever smelled in a perfume, bar none. Thing is, I can't think of an occasion on which to wear it, without having people accusing me of being a 'fruitcake'.
    Last edited by Domingo; 26th November 2008 at 06:25 PM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

S.T. Dupont is a house which seems to utilize fruit notes in a grown-up non-bubblegummy way. I particularly love the original scent for women (in the dark blue velour box) with its blackcurrant note that manages to be dewy and astringent at the same time. The Signature for Women from the same house uses tangerine in a way that is warm and sophisticated, no baby-aspirin references.

Two come to mind immediately: Sel de Vetiver with its hint of grapefruit. It's like a painting of a bright day at the beach and all that's needed is a few dabs of light, bright white-yellow (the grapefruit) from the paintbrush to give it the last little touch, the sun shimmering and reflecting on the water. It's more felt than smelled. Another use of fruit, orange this time, not as a starring role but as an interwoven part of the whole, for me at least, is Noir Epices, which gives it an aldehyde-like sheen, again felt and not necessarily smelled.
    Last edited by nthny; 26th November 2008 at 07:22 PM.

KC Reaction has watermelon and green apple notes, and it's subtle and masculine and very nice.
    Last edited by aeromatic; 26th November 2008 at 09:55 PM.

Un jardin sur le Nil has already been mentioned. I'd add its sibling, un jardin en mediterranee for its fig note. Although sometimes I find it a bit wearying after a while as it makes me feel like i've covered myself in fig jam.

Guerlain's Acqua Allegoria Pamplelune is like an olfactory hologram of a juicy, overripe grapefruit. Way beyond mere "citrus." not subtle, as it is the whole point of the fragrance, but skillfull for sure

I am extremely impressed by the mouthwatering rasperry notes of Diesel's Fuel for Life Man. Best of this kind of thing in a designer scent for a long time. Not exactly subtle either, though.

Another great one is Millesimé by ronaldo Esper - my choice for male green mango

And I adore the indeterminate fruity note in Egoiste.

There's the brilliant apricot note in Daim Blond and nothing beats the dried fruit extravaganza of Arabie.

I second or third etc. Philosykos as to fig.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

The plum note in Cuiron comes to mind, as does the orange blossom in Cuir Venenum. For straight fruit fragrances, I love Pink Grapefruit by Floris and blackberry in Mure et Musc.

If you like the peach in Mitsouko, try Guerlain's Chypre Fatale. It's a very aggressive peach chypre with lots of focus on a bright peach accord that lasts until the base.

I love the piercingly tart boysenberry note in the otherwise fairly traditional accord in Chevalier d'Orsay.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 27th November 2008 at 03:09 AM.

I've really been liking the fruit note(s) in Amouge's Jubiliation XXV. It reminds me of the "flinstones fruitty pebbles" cereal I used to eat when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    I've really been liking the fruit note(s) in Amouge's Jubiliation XXV. It reminds me of the "flinstones fruitty pebbles" cereal I used to eat when I was a kid.
    Heh, I was just smelling that one. I never thought of Fruity Pebbles, but I love the thought. But yeah, great big fruity topnote on that one. Reminds me of grape hard candy (boiled sweets)

I get peach in the sweet drydown of Green Valley, believe it or not.
    2nd has to be the papaya in Hermes Concentre d"Orange Verte.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 27th November 2008 at 05:08 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Just got Serge Lutens Bois et Fruits: A nice blend of sweet fruit notes (plum, fig, apricot, peach), rendered more subtle and slightly sharpened by cedarwood, and then gently spruced up by warm East Indian spice notes. Not at all foody or sugary, yet vaguely reminiscent of the sweeter aromas of a Moroccan tagine.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil has a subtle and uplifting mango note that i admire
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Costume National Scent Intense has a great nondescript berry smell to it.
    Last edited by IKL; 27th November 2008 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Not particular subtile, but very skillfully done and spectacular is 'Pulp' by a rather new house called 'ByRedo'.

It's the most lifelike reproduction of juicy, red fruit I have ever smelled in a perfume, bar none. Thing is, I can't think of an occasion on which to wear it, without having people accusing me of being a 'fruitcake'.
    Agree on the Pulp

Philosykos: awesome fig.
    Make that two subtle and extremely beautiful fruit notes. With the coconut note being slightly less subtle than the fig.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 27th November 2008 at 09:42 PM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

I like the apricot and peach combined with cinnamon in Dior's Dolce Vita.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Make that two subtle and extremely beautiful fruit notes. With the coconut note being slightly less subtle than the fig.
    Euhm no, that IS the fig also! Fig smells like coconut in perfume, don't ask me why, it just happens to be that way.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

A few compositions with subtle fruit notes I like:

The plum note in Voleur de Roses..
    The unripe mango in Timbuktu..
    The orange in Baume Du Doge..

I could be wrong on this... but I detect a very subtle and beautiful citrus note (blood orange?) in Patou Pour Homme Privé. Anyone else get this besides me?

love the pineapple note in Nuits De Noho...
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Hands down, any fruit skilfully used with tobacco with just about any fruit. Histoires de Parfums (is it 1887?) does a great job of this with plum and tobacco. But boozy tobacco and raspberry, apricot, cherry, apple, my god. A weakness of mine. And throw some dirty civet in for good measure, like a British men's club's stinky old smoking jacket.
    Mmmm.

Mitsouko is the best I've experienced when it comes to subtle fruit notes and peach in fragrance. It's so natural and light - the fruit itself, rather than the loud candied fruit notes that are in every household product nowadays.

Biehl's AL02 has a wonderful hot apple cider note that is very subtle, as is the whole fragrance on my skin. I'm not sure why it's there, as the fruit notes are supposed to be plum, peach and mandarin, but there it is anyhow.

PdE's Ambre Russe has a note that smells very much like a rich peach conserve or liqueur. I wouldn't call it subtle per se, but it's not obvious either, especially blended the wine-like notes.

I really need to do a full length review of Ambre Russe some time. I'm loving it more and more as time goes on
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 3rd January 2009 at 10:28 PM.

I really like what Thierry Mugler did with fruit in B*MEN. Very exciting, new feel. However, it is bracing.

As for your appreciation of the subtlety, precision and quality in MITSOUKO, you are very right; it's magical. The three frags that came immediately to mind when reading your thread were, not too strangely, of the same house. VISA, BAGHARI, and CRAVACHE from Robert Piguet give me a similar "ride" to MITSOUKO. VISA is the most similar in composition and the fruitiest, but the others have great depth and development as well.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Nicole Miller for men ?

Surprised no one has yet mentioned Michael for Men (Michael Kors), definitely my favorite when it comes to fruit notes. Smoke, honey and dried fruit and plums; sublime and superb.

I agree with Quixotiq that the green mango in Timbuktu is very nice. Dzonghka has lychee listed as the first note. I wouldn't have identified it as lychee, but I do love that unusual, subtle fruitiness in Dzonghka's opening!

In thinking about men's fragrances, I love the use of Medjool date in my husband's John Varvatos. I would call it subtle. I love the list of notes in JV - don't know Ajowan or Eaglewood (?):

Top Notes
    Medjool Date Fruit, Mediterranean Herbs, West Indian Tamarind Tree Leaves

Middle Notes
    Coriander Seed Templar, Clary Sage Flower, Indian Ajowan

Base Notes
    Auramber, Vanilla CO2, Balsams, Eaglewood, Vanilla, Black Leather

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So many fragrances utilize fruit notes in such a loud, bracing and sharp way, that when I encounter a scent that presents it's fruit note deftly and gentle - I sit up and take notice. Peach is not really a favorite fruit of mine, and of course there are a ton of bath, body and cleaning products scented with peach (and apple, and berries) that I can pick up at my local supermarket. Perhaps for this reason, fruit scents tend to bore my nose. Smelling cheap, fruit scented products, I realize how synthetic and loud they come off.
    Mm. Yeah, I'm not a fruit lover either, really. Probably the best somewhat fruity fragrance I've found so far is Neil Morris' Woodland Strawberries. Not a fruity-floral. It's more of a fruity-woody. Sandalwood.

(My least-liked fruity fragrance? Sentiment for women by Escada epitomizes what I do not like about fruity florals.)

Acier Aluminum is good too. Some say it smells like bananas. I can see how it smells that way in a vial, but on my skin it smells like sweet oranges.
    Chanel Allure Adition Balanche. Pineapple?
    Another Fruity fragrance I wear is Obsession night. (for woman)
    I will second Haunani's mention of John Varvatos.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I love the smell of dried fruits in Egoiste.

I also enjoy the apricot scent in Daim Blonde.
    Not a popular choice around here...but I like Louve's cherry smell. I have not bought a bottle because I am not sure I want to smell like that, but I like to smell my sample on occassion.

Acier Aluminum is good too. Some say it smells like bananas. I can see how it smells that way in a vial, but on my skin it smells like sweet oranges.
    Oo! Yes yes! Acier Aluminum smells like jackfruit to me, and I like that unusualness very much!

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Biehl's AL02 has a wonderful hot apple cider note that is very subtle, as is the whole fragrance on my skin. I'm not sure why it's there, as the fruit notes are supposed to be plum, peach and mandarin, but there it is anyhow.
    Aw hell, he beat me to it. biehl parfumkunstwerke al02 is probably my favorite fruit fragrance currently, and is probably the best fragrance in the biehl parfumkunstwerke lineup. Next up on deck for me is probably Ermenegildo Zegna Z Zegna Extreme, just for its masterful use of grapefruit. And, though I don't own it yet, DelRae Bois de Paradis has to be considered for its own amazing mélange of fig and blackberry.

biehl parfumkunstwerke al02
    I'm sampling this soon and looking forward to it!

As for well-done fruity notes I recently discovered (thanks to Veuve Amiot) ByRedo Pulp. It immediately reminded me of Jardin Sur Le Nil - not the same note, but the same quality in the note, if that makes sense. It's one of the fruitiest fruity frags I've smelled (possibly #1) so keep that in mind, but in general I don't go for fruity because they're so often overly sweet, but this one is quite gorgeous. Green, citrusy, jammy, bright.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Jean Pascal pour Homme - bergamot & pineapple.
    Pomegranate Noir - pomegranate, raspberry & plum
    XS pour Homme - bergamot, lemon & fruit notes
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Can you mention fruit in a fragrance withouy bringing up Kadota by Mike Storer? An excellent display of fig from top to bottom. Better than Philosykos in my opinion with far better longevity...
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

Feminite du Bois and the SL Bois series has gorgeous plummy/raisiny dried fruit notes.

Diorella has the best use of melon-on-the-verge-of-going-bad I have ever smelled.

Lancetti via Condotti pour homme - amazing peachy top notes
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil - beautiful unriped mango
    Acier Aluminium - lots of ripe bananas ( I can't imagine why some people can't smell bananas in this)

^Maybe not just plain bananas, but I've had a banana dessert dish where the bananas were seared in some type of sauce that Acier Aluminum does share something w/

Azzaro Now is a fruity fragrance that I first smelled yesterday. I associate the smell with watermelon even though there are other notes in there. Marshalls has a 1.7 oz. bottle for $14.99 so that's some major bang for the buck. It got four stars from Luca Turin if that's worth anything.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: A subtle and skillful use of fruit notes in fragrances - your favorite?

mikeperez23 and others, If I could only have one fragrance from among all that I have tried thus far it would be Mitsouko and for all of the positive reason given in all of these messages. It was love at first sniff.

Opium pour homme Eau d'Orient has the most amazing grapefruit note...the grapefruit is existent throughout and makes it so 'delicious and edible'.

The mandarin note in Third Man by Caron. I think I read thatit was a special mandarin grown in Japan and the perfumer of this frag. was a Japanese lady.