Code of Conduct

Default Rosacea and/or Acne?

I've had mild rosacea for at least two years now. As I recently posted on another board, though, I have managed to clear it up completely with a daily regimen of sulfur soap. (Available at most Latin grocery stores and also at some CVS and Walgreen's stores.) $1.00 a bar -- can't beat it!

Btw, you have to stick to the regimen for it to work properly -- lather up and leave the soap on your face for two to three minutes each day while you bathe or shave. Wash it off -- the sulfur smell doesn't linger.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th November 2008 at 05:56 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rosacea and/or Acne?

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    I've had mild rosacea for at least two years now. As I recently posted on another board, though, I have managed to clear it up completely with a daily regimen of sulfur soap. (Available at most Latin grocery stores and also at some CVS and Walgreen's stores.) $1.00 a bar -- can't beat it!

Btw, you have to stick to the regimen for it to work properly -- lather up and leave the soap on your face for two to three minutes each day while you bathe or shave. Wash it off -- the sulfur smell doesn't linger.

That will take care of the acne but roseacea is a whole other beast!

The only way to deal with the facial redness that comes from broken capillaries is IPL treatments. They can be expensive and if your case is bad, you're talking 4 or 5 treatments in a row a month apart. That said, they are worth every dime for super super pale sensitive skinned types.

The other thing is make a total commitment to sunscreen. The best I've found has zcote in it (UVA/UVB) with a moisturizer. My derm pointed me to Elta MD 30. http://www.eltamd.com/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7

Retin A and renova are both good for acne or so I am told.
    Looking for small decants
    * Frederic Malle En Passant, Parfum de Thérèse * Serge Lutens Bois Oriental, Borneo1834, Douce Amère, Gris Clair, Rousse, Santal de Mysore

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Collagenex Pharmaceuticals formerly marketed a low dose (20mg v 100/200 mg for regular dose) doxycycline (antibiotic) product to dentists for prescription to fight/cure gingival inflammation due to periodontal disease. In their testing Collagenex found subjects who also had Rosacia were being cured of their Rosecia from the Periostat treatment.

Subsequently Ivex, a generic pharmaceutical maker, was sued by Collagenex for making and selling a genetic version. Collagenex lost the suit and stopped making their product Periostat. Instead, Collagenex applied for and received FDA go ahead to market the new doxycycline product, with some proprietary ingredients added to prevent another generic competetor, for treatment of Rosacia, which has had very good results in treating Rosecia suffers.

Check it out.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...osacea&spell=1
    Last edited by kbe; 26th November 2008 at 07:39 PM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

I don't want to disagree with you, kbe, but I can tell you that both Paul and I have seen incredible results with plain ol' sulfur soap. He'd tried the doxycycline and also Metrogel -- both to no avail. Even laser treatments at my plastic surgeon's office did little for my rosacea. But the sulfur soap? I still can't believe I went as long as I did without knowing about it.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have access to the numbers in the Rosacea study by Collagenex or the data from actual prescription usage to compare the actual percentage of cure/reduction TV but of course I strongly suspect it isn't 100% effective or anywhere near that in treating Acne Rosacea. The nonantimicrobial dosage of the doxycycline was proven to be more effective than the standard dosage used for years mainly because of better subject compliance probably attributed to fewer side effects I believe. I am glad to hear that the sulfur soap is working for you both!
    Last edited by kbe; 27th November 2008 at 03:11 AM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Hi Tvlampboy,

Here is some more information about rosacea treatment that could be of help to you.

Among the skin care treatments one can apply are through the use of sunscreens, moisturizers, cosmetics and cleansers.

Use of Sunscreen
    The application of sunscreen will help in the prevention of sun burns, skin photo damaging, prevention of skin cancers. Ensure you apply sunscreen upon exposure to the sun.

Moisturizers
    Moisturizers can be categorized as for those who have oily skin, dry skin or a combination of the two. Due to the small numbers in oil glands specifically on the legs and arms, moisturizers come very much in handy.

Cosmetics
    They can be viewed in terms of cosmetics with non-cosmedogic which have undergone testing on the oily skins of human test subjects. There are also the skin foundations which are used to cover the blemishes and also a time’s give color. Thirdly is the skin camouflage that’s used to cover the skin defects. Lastly are the non- perfumed cosmetics that have been used more often in the cosmetics to conceal odor and also serve as serve as an additive of beauty products.

Rosacea