Code of Conduct

Thread: Leather Lovers

Default Leather Lovers

• Hi all need some suggestions. I want to sample some leather scents samples from The Perfumed Court leather sampler I can choose three but unsure as to which to try. Right now my favorite scents that I rotate daily are Bois du Portugal by Creed, Vintage Tabarome by Creed, Acier Aluminium by Creed, GIT by Creed, Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum ,Royal Delight by Creed and Parfums Series 3 Incense Avignon.
    • THE LEATHER SCENT SAMPLER INCLUDES :
    • Hermes Bel Ami
    • Habanita EDT
    • Knize Ten
    • Caron Yatagan
    • Molinard Carino
    • Hermes Kelly Caleche
    • Chanel Cuir de Russie EDT
    • Guerlain Cuir Beluga
    • L.T. Piver Cuir de Russie
    • Creed Cuir de Russie
    • Creed Royal English leather
    • Helmut Lang Cuiron pour Homme
    Based upon what I use daily which three would be a good recommended choice? I know Tom Fords Tuscan Leather is not there but I can order a sample of that separate. Thanks for your help and opinions

Blog Entries

Default Re: Leather Lovers

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogsleeping View Post
    • Hi all need some suggestions. I want to sample some leather scents samples from The Perfumed Court leather sampler I can choose three but unsure as to which to try. Right now my favorite scents that I rotate daily are Bois du Portugal by Creed, Vintage Tabarome by Creed, Acier Aluminium by Creed, GIT by Creed, Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum ,Royal Delight by Creed and Parfums Series 3 Incense Avignon.
    • THE LEATHER SCENT SAMPLER INCLUDES :
    • Hermes Bel Ami
    • Habanita EDT
    • Knize Ten
    • Caron Yatagan
    • Molinard Carino
    • Hermes Kelly Caleche
    • Chanel Cuir de Russie EDT
    • Guerlain Cuir Beluga
    • L.T. Piver Cuir de Russie
    • Creed Cuir de Russie
    • Creed Royal English leather
    • Helmut Lang Cuiron pour Homme
    Based upon what I use daily which three would be a good recommended choice? I know Tom Fords Tuscan Leather is not there but I can order a sample of that separate. Thanks for your help and opinions
    yep...we gotta get you to leave those Creeds

that starter pack is pretty solid overall.....i haven't tried a few of those, but any pack with Cuiron, Knize Ten, Bel Ami (assuming it is the original, not the reformulated) would be a SOLID pack to start with, IMO. I would start with those 3 if i were you---but i am a bit biased

there are lots and lots of leather scents around, i would also suggest searching some threads in here with 'leather' as the keyword in the subject---which will take you to lots of great leather talk

Given your apparent liking for Creed, try Royal English Leather. I'd probably go for the Cuiron and the Yatagan for the other two.

One not on the sampler list that is worth checking out is Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries

I wonder what they are going by for the choices. After I read the first couple of names, I was looking for Chanel Antaeus in there as well. Guerlain Cuir Beluga in it as well? I would have assumed it to be in their "high-end" leather sampler package that they have. From these, Bel Ami, Yatagan and Knize Ten would be my picks.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

From one leather lover to another:

Royal English Leather
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Knize Ten
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I own at least a sample of almost all of these, and these are my thoughts. Some of these aren't very leathery

• Hermes Bel Ami - leathery chypre. Very nice but not a distinct leather fragrance.
    • Habanita EDT - not leathery
    • Knize Ten - very leathery. Must try.
    • Caron Yatagan - not familiar with this
    • Molinard Carino - not familiar with this
    • Hermes Kelly Caleche - Rose with a hint of leather. Very Jean Claude Ellena in style.
    • Chanel Cuir de Russie EDT - Iris floral with a touch of leather. Current version not very leathery, but a classic nonetheless.
    • Guerlain Cuir Beluga - Absolutely gorgeous fragrance, but only a touch of leather.
    • L.T. Piver Cuir de Russie - Not very leathery
    • Creed Cuir de Russie - light, crisp leather
    • Creed Royal English leather - stronger than the other Creed, good mandarin/leather.. definitely try.
    • Helmut Lang Cuiron pour Homme - must try - plum/leather combo

I also recommend - PG Cuir d'Iris (at TPC), Cuir de Lancome (not at TPC), Guerlain Derby (at TPC), SL Cuir Maureque (at TPC). Some people like Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger... I'm not one of those people, but you should know about it (at TPC)

I forgot a few more to try:

Prada Cuir Ambre (TPC)
    Pierre Cardin Cuir Ambre (was at TPC, haven't checked for a while)
    PG Cuir Venenum
    SL Vetiver Oriental (leathery quality, not distinct leather)

Thank you for the replies after reading you recommendations and after reading the reviews here at Bassnotes on each I think I will go with the common thread between them. First would be Creeds Royal English Leather, second would be Knize Ten third would be Cuiron I feel these three will give me a good starting point.

I too am a leather lover, and I must implore you to try the most-perfect-ever leather:

Parfum d'Empire's CUIR OTTOMAN

Really. Try it. Now.

Those are definitely the best three of the ones you selected. However, if you're ordering from TPC I implore you to also order Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris. It blows them all away.

Also - make sure to use the 10% discount code (HAPPYHOLIDAYS), good today through 12/1.

bbBD Thanks for the heads up on the discount placed order along with a order of Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris apon your suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    I too am a leather lover, and I must implore you to try the most-perfect-ever leather:

Really. Try it. Now.
    I'm with her. I have a sample of this one and it makes me wish I didn't already own Royal English Leather. I'd also add L'Artisan's Dzing! to your list of leathers to try.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I'm with her. I have a sample of this one and it makes me wish I didn't already own Royal English Leather. I'd also add L'Artisan's Dzing! to your list of leathers to try.
    Dzing isn't a leather at all.....it's more fur than anything else.

bbBD: the 'original' Bel Ami isn't as Chypre as the NEW Bel Ami....have you tried the old one? it's more a pure leather than the new one----which is much spicier...

oh and i agree on those who have mentioned Cuir Ottoman...fantastic stuff.

I'd say you definately want Helmet Lang's Cuiron and Knize Ten.
    What about Serge Lutens Daim Blond, or Cuir Mauresque? Maybe L'Artisan L'Eau du Navigateur?
    Looking for small decants
    * Frederic Malle En Passant, Parfum de Thιrθse * Serge Lutens Bois Oriental, Borneo1834, Douce Amθre, Gris Clair, Rousse, Santal de Mysore

Although not on the list, here are a few extra leather scents which are definitely worth a try.

Montale - Oud Cuir d'Arabie

This is very much a challenging yet realistic leather whom many including myself find to be off-putting for the first few minutes. This scent is however very elegent and sophisticated and very classy smelling after the initial raw animalic notes ease up.

Tom Ford - Tuscan Leather

This is my favourite leather scent to date. Very much a dry dusty leather with somthing addictive about it that keeps me constantly sniffing my arm when I have this on. This one also has a hint of dried flakey tabacco leaves.
    Last edited by IKL; 27th November 2008 at 06:15 PM.

You'll like the Cuir d"Iris, PG... for sure.

Everso, I've been trying to get my hands on vintage Bel Ami, and I thought I had found a bottle but when it arrived it was a new bottle. One of these days....

Speaking of Cuiron, is there any truth to the rumor that they are re-releasing it? I've heard this here and there, but as yet have seen no new stock anywhere.

I sure hope they are putting it out again; the market has a giant hole in it without this leather beauty being readily available.

I've gone through several bottles and love it... I always want more!
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post

Really. Try it. Now.
    No doubt about it. The only leather I've smelled that actually smells like leather, so far.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

wow never new there were so many different leather scents thanks for the insight eveybody.It apeers there is some testing to be done on my part thanks all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogsleeping View Post
    wow never new there were so many different leather scents thanks for the insight eveybody.It apeers there is some testing to be done on my part thanks all.
    that's nothing man! there are 100s and 100s of other leather scents...alot of scents to explore! this is by far my favourite genre of fragrances.

I'd say that out of that initial list, the must try-s are: Knize Ten, Cuir de Russie by Chanel and the underrated Bel Ami (very good!).
    Perhaps this Leather Series might help you in your Leathers exploration:
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/se...ather%20series
    And I have to say that Cuir Ottoman is a very fetching fragrance: a friend of mine (male) is hankering after it, he compares it to "wearing" a luxe Chesterfield couch on himself.
    If you want a supersmooth leather with floral touches (but not girly), try Diorling.
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html
    I also suggest your try the De Sade from Histoire des Parfums and Corps et Ames by Parfumerie Generale.

Odori Cuoio is a very pure leather that hasn't been mentioned that I would recommend.

Off-Scenter

The Chanel Cuir de Russie and Knize Ten are "must try" scents in the leather genre, and represent two very different approaches to leather. For a third I would suggest Yatagan. While it's not what I'd normally think of as a "leather" scent, it is unique - perhaps even bizarre - and should be tried by anyone with a serious interest in fragrance.

One leather that never gets mentioned is "BRAGGI"

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I agree with bBbD that some in the sampler aren't very leather. Here's what I think:

I find Chanel Cuir de Russie EDT (which has been reformulated) to be a bit too floral ..the drydown redeems things somewhat but the floral heart has been amplified to perhaps appeal more to women. Try to get hold of the parfum version if possible.

Knize Ten is also worth a try .. be ready for its stringent brain hammering opening...go through the pain gritting your teeth for 15 mins, and the rest is super pleasurable. You will love it if you like Creed Royal English Leather (which is smooth suave mandarin-leather).

Not sure if PC carry this, but also give Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger a sniff.. wonderful combo of sharp citrus and dry powdery leather. Imagine Royal English Leather in the year 3000.

A special fave of mine is Creeds Cuir de Russie .. there is nothing quite like it. Loads of skanky silver birch tar bookended by sandalwood and preceeded by tart lemon to tone down the powerful heart. Its a bit low on longevity though.

Be brave and also try Montale Cuir d'Arabie .. arabian leather with middle eastern sillage and ambience that would make Serge Lutens proud..... if this doesnt work for you, then move onto another excellent "arabian" leather, Parfum d'Empires' Cuir Ottoman: soft suede like leather, what Daim Blond should have been.
    -

I received my Cuir de Lancome at last week and gave it a full wear yesterday. Superb.... really, really superb. I wrote a review on its BN page, but briefly, it goes from a smooth citrus/leather to a smoky, tarry leather in the drydown. It went strong all day, and I could still smell it on myself when I woke up the next morning after applying. Although it's a touch obscure, I found the Lancome online for under $50 - and it's worth every penny.

Thanks to Mudassir, I also received a sample of vintage Chanel Cuir de Russie, and the Cuir de Lancome is definitely strongly influenced by the vintage Chanel. The drydowns in particular were very similar. I couldn't believe how much had been sacrificed in the Exclusifs version... it's barely the same scent at all, which is really a shame.

Why Cuir Ottoman isn't one of the options for the sampler pack, I'll never know. Its perfect in every way. Definite Holy Grail perfume for me.

I also agree with those who have mentioned Prada's Cuir Ambre. Im wearing it today and its still going trong, hours later.

Cuiron has never done it for me - its hardly leather to my nose - I don't enjoy it at all.

Dzing is another perfect leather scent - not as aggressive as the others but its definitely exquisite.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    Dzing isn't a leather at all.....it's more fur than anything else.
    HUH?!! Dzing has (to my imagination and to most here) one of the best, realistic, shiny, finished leather smell which in due course of this gems progression, gathers a furry/dust kind of feel. not my type, but to any "leather" "expert" it should be...now that makes me wonder, what in your opinion is the leather note in knize afterall? how can you relate to the leather note in Knize?

are you being blinded by the snob bug called "collecting rare scents disorder" ?

may i add

Heeley - Fine Leather
    Givenchy Gentleman (patchouli+leather)
    Paco Rabbane - XS Exteme (leather+woods)
    Prada - 3 Cuir Ambre

I have to completely agree with the L'Artisan Dzing! recommendation. I have to add ..I find it absurd you don't detect leather in it. It's one of the best and unabashedly daring leather scents to roll out from any house. The fur is there, no doubt, but it's simply the icing on the raw unpolished just-dried hide that Dzing is.. one must approach it without any predisposition to be able to "get" it.

That said, I can totally see why you don't approve of it, it's not for everybody.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Dzing! is one of those weird fragrances that morphs depending on how you perceive it - I can wear it one day and smell what people describe as a 'wet paper' accord, and other days it smells like a smoky leather. Truly a unique fragrance, and definitely a 'love it or really hate it'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    HUH?!! Dzing has (to my imagination and to most here) one of the best, realistic, shiny, finished leather smell which in due course of this gems progression, gathers a furry/dust kind of feel. not my type, but to any "leather" "expert" it should be...now that makes me wonder, what in your opinion is the leather note in knize afterall? how can you relate to the leather note in Knize?

are you being blinded by the snob bug called "collecting rare scents disorder" ?
    well if there is any note i AM able to identify, it is most certainly leather. In fact, i am actively searching out the widest variety of leather scents at this time.

I have tried Dzing at least 4 or 5 times on different occasions, on skin..on paper, and on clothing.....and there is only a minimal (at best!) leather scent in it.....i really don't smell it....if there is one, it is concocted by the idea of people telling me there is leather (imaginary leather)...it is not a leather scent IMO. There are FAR better places to find leather than Dzing, that i am certain of. People's noses do react differently of course---and this may be one of those cases. However if i remember correctly, there are plenty of people who do not detect leather in Dzing.

Knize Ten, of course, rare or not....my favourite or not...is unabashedly one of THE finest leather scents ever made....that i am surely certain of in my point of view
    Last edited by everso; 1st December 2008 at 04:23 PM.

..... love what jaimeB said...if you have nothing good ot say. just ignore.
    Last edited by jenson; 1st December 2008 at 04:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post

Thirdly, you are advising people to test a frag on skin, and here you yourself arent testing it on skin. shows how "OPEN MINDED" you are.
    i am testing it on skin! i just said that, man

don't get testy with me Jenson...you know you love me

Just a fast follow up got my samples from perfume court.I found that creed was way to strong of scent for me it never let up,Cuiron although seems to be very popular here didnt do much for me I had a hard time smelling it even though my wife thought I was crazy claimed it was giving her a headache.Now knize ten was right up my ally really enjoy that one.Thanks again for the help all and pointing me in the direction of many other leather scents

I agree with a lot of what's been mentioned--especially Knize Ten, Cuir Ottoman, and Yatagan, all of which are must-try frags, IMO (though the last not so much for the leather).

I'd add three others that I'm surprised nobody's mentioned: Bandit, Lonestar Memories, and Geo F Trumper's Spanish Leather.

Anyone every try Elsha's 1776? I've always wanted to try it...and it's dirt cheap!