Code of Conduct

Default Help me pick my last purchase

In an effort to cut back my expenditures, I have decided to stop buying frags after getting myself one last bottle as a Christmas present. Please look at my small collection below and help me decide on what my last purchase (for a while) will be.

I have the following:

Bulgari Aqua Marine
    L'eau par Kenzo
    Burberry London
    Issey Intense

I found myself using my sample of YSL L'homme quite often recently so that's on my shortlist. I am looking for something to fill out gaps in what I have right now. I'm 24 and I prefer scents that are more subtle in terms of sillage. No niche please, I can't afford it. :P

* When I asked to smell Opium today the SA at the YSL counter told me that it's for ladies. When I mentioned hearing about a male version of it, she told me I was probably thinking of L'homme. She's wrong.. right?
    Last edited by coffee&pizza; 27th November 2008 at 01:28 AM.

Default Re: Help me pick my last purchase

Definitely pick up YSL L'Homme if you like it. I totally recommend it - it's my girlfriend's favourite as well as mine.
    Last edited by dynendal; 27th November 2008 at 01:27 AM.

My only concern with L'homme is the AdG syndrome... smelling like every other guy on the street.

Yep-there is, in fact, a male version of Opium and it is wildly popular (see the BN directory). In fact, I own the male version of Opium, both the EDT and EDP and happen to be a major fan, much like many other BN'ers. The SA is seriously wrong.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 27th November 2008 at 01:32 AM.

Gucci by Gucci. Very subtle projection.

Two I would recommend are: Cartier L' Essence de Declaration for a great sparkling wood scent that fills a gap that I don't see in your list. The other non niche fragrance you might try is Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men - very nice sparkling clean scent with a soft cocoa musk + woods drydown. Both of these are outstanding.

Habit Rouge EdT
    Last edited by surreality; 27th November 2008 at 03:51 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Boy, go get that Opium Ph. It will round out any collection. Who is that sales associate? I have some phone calls to make. Just being dramatic, but seriously, she must have been trying to fill a L'Homme quota or something. Opium Ph is too classic for her to be in that position and not know about.

A small word of caution: Since you mentioned that you like subtlety, I will say that Opium may, at first, seem aggressive. It is complex and exciting and will give you a jolt if you get your nose right up on it and snort. When you test it, actually wear it on your skin and let it develop. Though it is strong in some respects, it is ultimately a warm and comforting scent with a soothing, soft velvet drydown.
    Last edited by argogos; 27th November 2008 at 04:44 AM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Platinum Egoiste Chanel
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Two I would recommend are: Cartier L' Essence de Declaration for a great sparkling wood scent that fills a gap that I don't see in your list. The other non niche fragrance you might try is Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men - very nice sparkling clean scent with a soft cocoa musk + woods drydown. Both of these are outstanding.
    You do have room for a woody one. You might also sample Terre d'Hermès if the Cartier and its brethren don't float your boat. I think that Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme is also a nice, rather ornate wood. Finally, Bulgari Black is a great addition to any wardrobe, but make sure that you smell it first, and preferably wear it, because many if not most people don't like it.

I went and sampled the Diamonds today. It's nice but I find it a tad sweet. For some reason I don't detect the woody part of it. Maybe I've to wait a bit longer for it to come out?

Apparently someone stole their tester for the Essence so I sniffed the regular Declaration instead. I found it a bit too edgy. I will go to another store and test the Essence later.

The SA suggested I try the Guerlain L'Instant. I think I like it best out of the three so far. The opening reminds me slightly of YSL L'homme but that quickly disappeared into something else. It seems like an evening scent to me though, whereas the Diamond is a bit more versatile and I can wear it to school during the day and when I go out at night. What do you think?
    Last edited by coffee&pizza; 28th November 2008 at 07:05 PM.

Id agree with others that Opium is a good one, especially for winter.

'Last purchase', I've said that to myself a few times now!

Chanel Allure Edition Blanche. A beautiful mixture of fresh and soft, hot and cold. Done in a extremely elegant, sophistcated and sexy way, like only Chanel can do it! A scent for day and night, summer and winter, weekday and celebration! This is luxury liquid stored in a stylish, elegant bottle.. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 28th November 2008 at 07:30 PM.

I second the suggestions of L'Homme and would like to add Gucci Pour Homme (delightful woods); Guerlain L'Instant (EDC or preferrably EDP) - delicious, elegant and classy; and Amuage Jubilation XXV (a 30ml bottle can be had on sale for $50 at Amazon). You may also wanna check out Guerlain's new Homme, it doesn't get a lot of love on Basenotes but I find it irresistable (much better than YSL's L'Homme). Good luck!

Okay so the woody part of the Diamond finally came out and I like it although the one spray that I put on my wrist is already fading after 3 hours. L'Instant is doing well too but now I am starting to have doubts. It feels to me that it's quite formal and a bit mature, whereas the Diamond I can wear with jeans and still feel comfortable.

I think I will pull the trigger tomorrow since there's a bonus point event at the store. I've narrowed it down to three:

YSL L'homme
    Guerlain L'Instant
    Armani Diamonds for Men

To be perfectly practical, I would rather not get the L'Instant now since I've seen it quite often in the sales board and can probably find a deal for it later if I really want it. I would appreciate any opinions before I make my final decision.
    Last edited by coffee&pizza; 28th November 2008 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coffee&pizza View Post
    Okay so the woody part of the Diamond finally came out and I like it although the one spray that I put on my wrist is already fading after 3 hours. L'Instant is doing well too but now I am starting to have doubts. It feels to me that it's quite formal and a bit mature, whereas the Diamond I can wear with jeans and still feel comfortable.

I think I will pull the trigger tomorrow since there's a bonus point event at the store. I've narrowed it down to three:

YSL L'homme
    Guerlain L'Instant
    Armani Diamonds for Men

To be perfectly practical, I would rather not get the L'Instant now since I've seen it quite often in the sales board and can probably find a deal for it later if I really want it. I would appreciate any opinions before I make my final decision.
    Please don`t go for the Ysl L`Homme... The top-notes is fantastic, but after a couple of hours you want notice nothing at all!! Longivity and sillage is baaad!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Please don`t go for the Ysl L`Homme... The top-notes is fantastic, but after a couple of hours you want notice nothing at all!! Longivity and sillage is baaad!
    What? It gets pretty good longevity on my skin. At 8am one day I sprayed it on, and the sillage stuck around until about 5pm. It returned with triumph at 11pm when I was with my girlfriend that same night. And with a huge amount of woody-vetiver goodness. I'm not going to say how I made it reappear though. But yeah, that was 4 sprays.
    Last edited by dynendal; 28th November 2008 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    What? It gets pretty good longevity on my skin. At 8am one day I sprayed it on, and the sillage stuck around until about 5pm. It returned with triumph at 11pm when I was with my girlfriend that same night. And with a huge amount of woody-vetiver goodness. I'm not going to say how I made it reappear though. But yeah, that was 4 sprays.

Hmm... Good for you! But on me? Nope!

Just bought L'Homme. On my skin longevity isn't much of an issue.

Also met the first SA I've encountered who actually loves her job and knows her stuff. If you are in Montreal look for Mary (Marie?) at the Pharmaprix on St. Catherines. Impressed the hell out of me by naming from memory the notes of several frags and wasn't just making things up. Also made suggestions that are exactly what I like and own.

Thanks all for your input. I think I gotta stop browsing this site or I'll break my last purchase rule.
    Last edited by coffee&pizza; 29th November 2008 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coffee&pizza View Post
    Just bought L'Homme. On my skin longevity isn't much of an issue.

Also met the first SA I've encountered who actually loves her job and knows her stuff. If you are in Montreal look for Mary (Marie?) at the Pharmaprix on St. Catherines. Impressed the hell out of me by naming from memory the notes of several frags and wasn't just making things up. Also made suggestions that are exactly what I like and own.

Thanks all for your input. I think I gotta stop browsing this site or I'll break my last purchase rule.
    Congrats! Yeah, I think every purchase I've made since coming here has been "just one last purchase". I should stick to samples.