Code of Conduct

Default Update after 4 months [HELP!] Colognes that smell like bad aftershave (ex Menin)

So far I've racked two colognes that smell like that terrible aftershave such as Menin (green stuff) found at pharmacies for 1$ a bottle.

The list so far includes Carven Homme by Carven and Opium EDT by YSL... In my opinion, these smell like this and I absolutely hate it (but thats just me).

Is it a spice or something that gives off this smell?

And does anyone else know of other fragrances that smell like this bad aftershave (or even stronger version of it) ?
    -----------------------------------

That was my original thoughts 4 months ago when I entered the world of perfumes. I just have to say that my nose has changed quite a bit over the past few months. Back then, when I first smelled Opium, it smelled exactly like this Mennen aftershave stuff or fairly similar. And I absolutely hated it, along with Burberry London (which I should have added to this thread when I posted it). But fortunately, I was able to get these two back in a swap. Talk about a coicidence.

so now, I am able to smell Opium and Burberry London for what they are. And I must say that they smell absolutely amazing. They smell nothing like Mennen aftershave but good oriental fragrances which is what I feared when I entered the perfume world. But now, I can put up with orientals and in a few months I may fill my wardrobe with these kinds of scents.

My views on fragrance has changed so much since I first joined basenotes. I am honestly shocked at my progress... Thank you all so much for helping me to this point! I look forward to the progress I will make in another few months and even a year!
    Last edited by urgetopurge; 7th March 2009 at 11:49 PM.

Default Re: [HELP!] Colognes that smell like bad aftershave (ex Menin)

Opium EDT bad?? Shame on you, shame on you.

Mennen Skin Bracer is a bad aftershave? Shame on you!

This classis fresh fougere scent from 1911 smells pretty good, and has the added advantage that is one of the few aftershave splashes that is as good as an aftershave balm in soothing one's skin after a shave (read the list of its ingredients - it's more than just alcohol).

And down here in Australia I've paid up to $7 for this gem - hardly cheap - and it works heaps better than the hundreds of expensive $70 ones on the market. Halston Catalyst and the Trumper's aftershave spalshes are the only other ones I've found that work as well as Mennen.

Instead, consider rejoicing in the fact that you can get something so good for a measly dollar.

Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 27th November 2008 at 07:12 AM.

Shame on you!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Welcome to basenotes. You've obviously stepped on some Men(nen)'s toes . I have not tried Mennen (which is from 1931, btw.) but it is known as a classic fougere ("fern") scent, characterized by lavender, oakmoss and cumarin (hay-woodruff like smell). These are ubiquitous ingredients in perfumes and if any of these partivular notes irritates you, you would be in perfume trouble.

Now Carven is a chypre with oriental leanings and Opium a fresh oriental (though the EdT is a very very fresh one and Luca Turin does classify it as an aromatic fougere) so they are somewhat different styles - but Carven contains lavender, ginger and vanilla and Opium contains ginger and vanilla so maybe it's the combo of lavender/spice and sweetness that bothers you?

btw. I think Opium ph EdT is cheap-smelling junk . Awfully synthetic top and never develops the richness an oriental should have. Jaipur anyday, or rather just straight to Serge's place
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Ok so if it's paying 100$ for a scent smelling like a 10$ Mennen-like, then you cannot go wrong with Creed Bois de Portugal

Caron Pour un Homme has a barbershop sort of creamy feel, so some love it... some hate it.

And, I'm with Attorney and knightowl. Opium may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it's hardly THAT bad.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I find it funny that Menin means Anger in Greek and I've obviously stirred some up. The reason I hate it so much is that my dad used to wear this all the time as well as all his friends. I just simply hated it and that was my definition of a "cheap scent". Why? Well, why do some people enjoy 300 pound hookers? something to do with someone's tastes.

When i smelled Carven and Opium i thought it smelled exactly like this aftershave and I neither have the patience nor brainpower to tell apart all the little differences. So from now on I'm just gonna stay away from these smells.

And thank you the_good_life, I think you just solved my problem

Now Carven is a chypre with oriental leanings and Opium a fresh oriental (though the EdT is a very very fresh one and Luca Turin does classify it as an aromatic fougere) so they are somewhat different styles - but Carven contains lavender, ginger and vanilla and Opium contains ginger and vanilla so maybe it's the combo of lavender/spice and sweetness that bothers you?

btw. I think Opium ph EdT is cheap-smelling junk . Awfully synthetic top and never develops the richness an oriental should have. Jaipur anyday, or rather just straight to Serge's place
    Spice... hmmm.... no more for me. I'm not so sure about the lavendar though. I think its more of the ginger thats causing the problem. (or maybe its lavendar) not so sure at this point.

There's a slight methyl salicylate (wintergreen oil) note in all three that adds to the cool mentholic effect of the respective fragrances and gives them an initial sharp edge.

It is, of course, more pronounced in Mennen, which is, after all, sold as a "skin bracer". It's quite prominent in the top and heart notes Opium Pour Homme; it's prominent only for a short while in Carven Homme where the note dissipates a lot quicker than in the other two.

scentemental

I dont dare to say kouros

Cool Water smells like Aqua Velva to me, but I haven't smelled Aqua Velva since I used it as cologne when I was 10

This is going to upset somebody, but L'Artisan's Fou d'Absinthe smells to me like it should be a $10 drugstore aftershave. It's not unpleasant, but it sure as hell doesn't smell like $140 for 100ml.

I think it's the synthetic Oakmoss notes that give off that "terrible aftershave"

Bay Rum tends to have a shaving cream/barbershop smell to it as well. I usually stay clear of fragrances that contain these notes.

Urgetopurge, so what do you think you are going to look into getting now?

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

There's a slight methyl salicylate (wintergreen oil) note in all three that adds to the cool mentholic effect of the respective fragrances and gives them an initial sharp edge.

It is, of course, more pronounced in Mennen, which is, after all, sold as a "skin bracer". It's quite prominent in the top and heart notes Opium Pour Homme; it's prominent only for a short while in Carven Homme where the note dissipates a lot quicker than in the other two.

scentemental
    Quote Originally Posted by IKL View Post
    I think it's the synthetic Oakmoss notes that give off that "terrible aftershave"

Bay Rum tends to have a shaving cream/barbershop smell to it as well. I usually stay clear of fragrances that contain these notes.
    Yes, now we are getting somewhere. from what i smelled, I completely agree with what you said scentemental. This foul "sharpness" is what i detest and it only lasted in the beginning stage of carven (not so bad as opium).

The things i am going to watch out for are Spice fragrances, Ginger, and Wintergreen/Oakmoss (in extreme quantities).

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Urgetopurge, so what do you think you are going to look into getting now?
    Thats a good question. I guess I'll have to start looking for truly unique fragrances that don't contain these. So far, I personally like Bvlgari Extreme PH, Nicole Miller, and Dreamer (which contains some spice but nothing like a ginger/wintergreen mix). What I'm looking into is Very Irresisitible, Hugo Boss Aqua Elements, Hanae Mori, John Varvatos but i'll have to look at the ingredient list one more time for these.

EDIT:
    Does Hanae Mori/John varvatos smell like Opium? Because i see that they have a lot of the same ingredients (Blackcurrant and such). Plus they can be classified as spicy fragrances.
    Last edited by urgetopurge; 28th November 2008 at 12:49 AM.

I'm going out tomorrow to buy a bottle of Mennen. Maybe I'll start at dollar stores.
    Urgetopurge, if you're enjoying The Dreamer, which has a prominent blonde tobacco note, you might enjoy Guerlain's Vetiver. Maybe check out a few thread on tobacco frags and see what might float your boat. A rowboat gathers no oakmoss, as they say.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 28th November 2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: ahah! It is spelled "mennen".

Carven Homme is superb but not for all newbies. The top notes are strong and you may not like them at that strength. Then, because they are strong, you may not be able to appreciate the drydown. It's frags like Carven Homme that helped me realize that I could find frags that did not have that cheap aftershave smell !

Your post is quite interesting, though, because I created a post a couple of months (or so) ago, asking why so many people seemed to not like Carven Homme. Thanks for verifying my notion !
    Last edited by Bigsly; 28th November 2008 at 10:32 PM.

Default Re: Update after 4 months [HELP!] Colognes that smell like bad aftershave (ex Menin)

New thoughts added

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by urgetopurge View Post
    Spice... hmmm.... no more for me. (or maybe its lavendar) not so sure at this point.
    Hmmmmmm. Famous last words.....

I used to be "here" long ago, thinking i didn't like spices. Bought Opium EDT and gave it away within a week. Today i have the EDP, Serge Luten's Arabie, Micallef's Aoud (saffron spice rack), used up 100mls of Dior's Eau Noir, and so on.

Have a very open mind, read reviews and sample as much as you can. I know now, from experience, that one's fragrance journey is a constantly evolving one, enjoyed more if no barriers are set.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!