Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Tuscan Leather

  1. #1

    Default Tuscan Leather

    I recently bought a split bottle of Tuscan Leather. My first impression on applying the scent was that of alcohol. I know most scents have an alcohol base but this is more like sergical alcohol. The alcohol smell only lasts a few seconds, and the scent itself seems rather weak. Even during the first hour I have to put my arm almost to my nose to smell it, wafting doesn't do it.

    Does anybody get the same impression?

    It is a very authentic clean leather/suede scent, and the raspberry really adds to the magic. I find that it is a perfect layer for Tobacco Vanille; they really compliment each other.

    TL has become one of my top leather scents.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    brooklyn NYC
    Posts
    1,979
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tuscan Leather

    Quote Originally Posted by alaya View Post
    I recently bought a split bottle of Tuscan Leather. My first impression on applying the scent was that of alcohol. I know most scents have an alcohol base but this is more like sergical alcohol. The alcohol smell only lasts a few seconds, and the scent itself seems rather weak. Even during the first hour I have to put my arm almost to my nose to smell it, wafting doesn't do it.

    Does anybody get the same impression?

    It is a very authentic clean leather/suede scent, and the raspberry really adds to the magic. I find that it is a perfect layer for Tobacco Vanille; they really compliment each other.

    TL has become one of my top leather scents.
    i work in surgery alot of the time, and do not smell that 'surgical' opening as you say...that's a different, more pure, sort of alcoholic smell. i get the biggest blast of leather at the beginning of Tuscan Leather....then it progresses into a cocaine, leather, and tobacco-ish cascade......very cool stuff though i agree.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tuscan Leather

    Strangely enough this is one of the only scents I have that has absolutely no trace of alcohol when I first spray it. Though it's highly unlikely, maybe they made a mistake with the alcohol to perfume ratio in the batch your bottle came from.

  4. #4
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,211

    Default Re: Tuscan Leather

    I think I can understand the olfactory impression you're smelling, but like everso I wouldn't compare it to alcohol/solvent/etc.

    Tuscan Leather lasts forever on my skin.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

    -- Jack Kerouac

  5. #5

    Default Re: Tuscan Leather

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Tuscan Leather lasts forever on my skin.
    I really love this TL but I find it rather weak and no sillage! I wish it has a bit more statement, the one I have is more close to the skin. How do you find the sillage? If you say it is good I might try an original 50ml bottle. I think it would be worth it as it is a very versatile and clean scent. Some people say it ends up too sweet but I don't find that. It is at least par to Daim Blond if not better.

    IKL : I was surprised when I smelled the alcohol blast in the beginning, because I have tried a few Tom Ford Private blends before and never experienced that.

    everso : I maybe wrong to describe it as surgical alcohol, as I am not a surgeon but it just smells like common alcohol. I was a bit surprised to get that sensation.

    Can you guys comment on Tuscan Leather's sillage? Thanks
    Last edited by alaya; 28th November 2008 at 02:31 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Tuscan Leather

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Tuscan Leather lasts forever on my skin.
    Same here... I bought a car last week and wore 4-5 sprays of Tom Ford Extreme under my shirt, then at the last minute decided to put a half spritz of Tuscan Leather on the inside of my elbow. That TL lasted throughout the day and emanated from my arm whenever I moved around and even during all the paperwork signing, I kept catching whiffs of it.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    brooklyn NYC
    Posts
    1,979
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tuscan Leather

    Quote Originally Posted by alaya View Post
    I really love this TL but I find it rather weak and no sillage! I wish it has a bit more statement, the one I have is more close to the skin. How do you find the sillage? If you say it is good I might try an original 50ml bottle. I think it would be worth it as it is a very versatile and clean scent. Some people say it ends up too sweet but I don't find that. It is at least par to Daim Blond if not better.

    IKL : I was surprised when I smelled the alcohol blast in the beginning, because I have tried a few Tom Ford Private blends before and never experienced that.

    everso : I maybe wrong to describe it as surgical alcohol, as I am not a surgeon but it just smells like common alcohol. I was a bit surprised to get that sensation.

    Can you guys comment on Tuscan Leather's sillage? Thanks
    TL has GREAT sillage and longetivity on me...i can smell it all day...and even after...

    like some other people said..i don't get much alcohol at all from this.....maybe your bottle is messed up? where did you buy it?
    Last edited by everso; 28th November 2008 at 03:09 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Tuscan Leather

    Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    where did you buy it?
    I bought TL from a member here, as a spilt 50ml bottle. I also bought Noir de Noir which is fine. I have bought from him before without any problem, I don't want to make any accusations. It just seems strange that I get a blast of alcohol from a high-end brand. It also just seems rather weak with no sillage.

    As everyone seems to find TL has a good sillage and lasts all day, I better get an original bottle.

  9. #9
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,211

    Default Re: Tuscan Leather

    Quote Originally Posted by alaya View Post
    I really love this TL but I find it rather weak and no sillage! I wish it has a bit more statement, the one I have is more close to the skin. How do you find the sillage?
    Average sillage. But then again, sillage has never been a determining factor when it comes to my fragrance selections.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

    -- Jack Kerouac

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    brooklyn NYC
    Posts
    1,979
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tuscan Leather

    Quote Originally Posted by alaya View Post
    I bought TL from a member here, as a spilt 50ml bottle. I also bought Noir de Noir which is fine. I have bought from him before without any problem, I don't want to make any accusations. It just seems strange that I get a blast of alcohol from a high-end brand. It also just seems rather weak with no sillage.

    As everyone seems to find TL has a good sillage and lasts all day, I better get an original bottle.
    i don't wanna make any accusations either...but i gotta say, i AM suspicious at this point.

    whatever you've bought, is not consistent with the way TL should be....i would investigate if i were you.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Tuscan Leather

    ANY Tom Ford Private Blend will last for a very long time.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Tuscan Leather

    Quote Originally Posted by alaya View Post
    I bought TL from a member here, as a spilt 50ml bottle. I also bought Noir de Noir which is fine. I have bought from him before without any problem, I don't want to make any accusations. It just seems strange that I get a blast of alcohol from a high-end brand. It also just seems rather weak with no sillage.

    As everyone seems to find TL has a good sillage and lasts all day, I better get an original bottle.
    Hi Alaya, just to report: I bottle split on both TV and NdN from the same seller and also have no problems to share (if its any consolation). That said, when I try TL at Nordstroms, it does last an incredibly long time on me. Like, ridiculously long.

    TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 28th November 2008 at 08:57 PM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

  13. #13

    Default Re: Tuscan Leather

    Ayala, I think this is a case of olfactory fatigue. I also was in on the split and ... TL is working as well as the samples I 've used, I think. and certainly when I smell anything I've worn while I had it on from a couple of days ago I get a good blast of it. Also I'm pretty convinced of the sellers integrity, (although sometimes I wish he would communicate better! and yet I can't blame him cause I've been guilty of wasting his time in the past with enquiries that came to nothing. but they were in good faith lol)

    Also, it's not alcohol, but ether you are smelling - the scent of ether - which goes a long way to creating the "cocaine" accord the juice is notorious for.

    I have a spray sample so will do a real side my side comparison but I want to go into the world and spritz at stores on black friday.

Similar Threads

  1. Leather - a study in 3 parts
    By mikeperez23 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 28th December 2012, 04:37 AM
  2. Tom Ford Tuscan Leather...
    By everso in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 9th July 2010, 03:28 PM
  3. The Great Layering Challenge (Outline)
    By moondeva in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 20th March 2007, 10:00 PM
  4. Animalic scents...help, please!!!
    By gloomy_liv in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 29th January 2007, 11:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •