Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon's Extract of Limes.

Penhaligon's just re-released their Extract of Limes cologne but made it exclusive to Harrods. I find that extremely poor business practice. What about the rest of us?

Default Re: Penhaligon's Extract of Limes.

Did I take too much LSD today or didn't I see this thread posted earlier today?

Either way...

I want to try this stuff. I like Trumper's limes, so I'm curious to see how this compares. Not only that, but by my book, Penhaligons can do no wrong! I still need to try the Elixer as well.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Did I take too much LSD today or didn't I see this thread posted earlier today?

Either way...

I want to try this stuff. I like Trumper's limes, so I'm curious to see how this compares. Not only that, but by my book, Penhaligons can do no wrong! I still need to try the Elixer as well.

Only if it lasts more than 5 minutes that Trumper's Limes seems to last!
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

I had to bump this one to the top. Has anyone purchased it? Any comments on it? Any Pictures of the bottle that arent produces by the company?

Im interested in this gem, but its a pretty hefty price tag. I have every male fragrance by Penhaligons Minus Quercus and English Fern. This house cant do wrong by me...except the price on this last offering.

Come sit by me.

Just so you know, it is being relaunched as part of a new series called "Anthology".

It is a very nice lime that takes the classic to a slightly warm and peppery place. IMHO, lime scents are broken down into three categories. 1)Straight up, acidic citrus 2)sweetened and candied 3)slightly spicy, Caribbean. This one falls into category 3 for me. Like most citrus based frags, the scent is best right out of the bottle, but the added notes, though relatively few, help this blend with longevity. This is not a secret weapon lime or anything. I admit that the delightful citrus opening wanes, but there definitely is a pleasant drydown and somewhat extended longevity.

I have seen older tester vials on E-bay pretty consistently over the last couple of years. However, since it has been relaunched in the new series, I imagine there are fresh samples out there. Call Penhaligon's.

Enjoy. I'm also very happy to see Night Scented Stock back in circulation. I think of it as Penhaligonade. Guerlain fans will get that reference.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Im going to Saks on Monday and see if I can get some samples. Still, 175 for this scent in the 100ml bottle is a bit pricey compared to 110 for the other scents in their house...Anthology or not.

Really? $175 for a lime scent?! This is very good but, come on. There are so many lime frags on the market. This, being classic, doesn't have a lot of originality. It is exquisitely blended, not necessarily original. It will probably be the last of the series I'll buy.

Let us know what you think of the samples.

I sure will. I really doubt ill be dishing out that kinda money for a lime scent though. Those bottle are so darn spiffy though...

On a side note...I was actually thinking of getting a new bottle of Douro since they changed the label and bowtie on the new ones. I never cared for the red/yellow/blue stripped version.

Hmmm... I rather like the blue/red/yellow stripe. Classic, fitting, and easily identifiable. I do want to find one of the lime/fuscia stripe edition bottles though. But I digress; Yes, Penhaligon's has excellent bottles and packaging. I guess they are testing the waters and/or pushing the envelope with the higher price tag. I remember it being a rather tough pill to swallow when they crossed the $100 mark. I consciously decreased my purchases from them then and am unlikely to take the bait if the anthology series is a test market. (Did you see how I managed to use 4 metaphors in that post?)

I had read the price tag on all the Anthology collection will be 175. Very depressing indeed. Its even more depressing that your basically going to pay what Penhaligon's charges for their cologne. There really is not a gray market on their stuff..

That kind of pisses me off. Let's not buy them. If they see that we'll pay that much more for something they make, I'll bet they'll raise all their prices.

I've got to be one of their bigger fans, as I've got six bottles, but in three years, I've seen it go from $95 to $110. And that's where I'm drawing the line. $175 is too much, especially for a simple lime scent.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 12th June 2009 at 02:25 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I thought this was a really good one of it's kind and was about to get a bottle when it got discontinued years back. Although I was fond of it, I don't think it is worth the trouble to track down when truefit and hills west indian limes is available.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    It is a very nice lime that takes the classic to a slightly warm and peppery place. IMHO, lime scents are broken down into three categories. 1)Straight up, acidic citrus 2)sweetened and candied 3)slightly spicy, Caribbean. This one falls into category 3 for me.
    Would you classify Trumper's as clearly #1, and Truefitt's as definitively #2 ? I am interested to hear your takes on these 2 for reference, as well as your views on other lime soliflore or lime-prominent scents for reference.

**This is all my own opinion, nothing official**
    Geo Trumper's is definitely #1. In fact, I believe after smelling it, I realized there was a "pure" lime category. T&H is more #3 to me. There is a discernible spiciness to it that keeps it out of category #2. It isn't as sweet as some others. Caswell Massey comes to mind as a sweet one. T&H is close to Penhaligon's but, for me, a tad sweeter and bit less complex. There is just enough creaminess to Penhaligon's to allow the warmer notes more "face time".

Ive heard that the Trumpers and T&H dont have any longevity though. I was hoping that maybe the Penhaligon's scent would. Any info in regards to the longevity of the Trumpers and T&H?

T&H is better than Trumpers. All limes are best right out of the bottle. They really need the help of other notes to stretch their longevity. The more complex the frag, usually the better longevity if it's a lime. For instance, rose works well with lime to stretch it into middle notes, sandalwood is relatively amorphous and can be masked by lime while dragging a mellowed, softer citrus feel into the drydown.

I talked to the sales rep at Saks today about the Extract of Limes. She stated she was expecting the Limes by the end of the month. I asked her how much a bottle would be going for and she quoted me a price of 120. Ill see if she stands by that when the scent actually comes in. But its a much better price than the 170 I had heard about.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=230405

As mentioned earlier Extract of Limes will be on general release through Penhaligon's outlets as part of the Anthology range. The main difference I can see between Trumper's and the Penhaligon's is that I think the Trumper's smells thinner than the Penhaligon's and doesn't have quite the same longevity. The Penhaligon's has a really lovely creamy richness to it when it dries down.

The Anthology range is slighlty more expensive than regular fragrances from the range (95.00), is only availlable in 100ml bottles and has different packaging to the rest of the Penhaligon's range. The boxes are pretty cool actually. They are all black and embossed, opening outward to reveal the bottle inside.

I am getting a preview set soon which I am reviewing on various sites, so I'll post photographs.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Basenotes Institution

I had no idea the new series prices were so high. (sigh)
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac