Code of Conduct

Default Basenotes note pyramid information

Hi,

Already posted this one in the forums but didn't get an answer...
    SirSlarty was kind enough to point out that I should ask this question in the community center..

Can anyone tell me where the basenotes information on a fragrance's notes comes from?
    ( the pyramid that is found just underneath the perfume name in the fragrance directory).

I bought several mini's to try out and looking up the notes on the internet I've come across a few conflicting note pyramids depending on the website.

I found great information on perfumes both on basenotes.net and on osmoz.com.
    I could imagine a few minor differences, but sometimes these two sites give a completely different pyramid!

For example the dreamer, but also Guerlain's Vetiver and probably many others:

The dreamer by versace - on basenotes:
    Top: Juniper, Lily
    Middle: Iris
    Base: Tobacco, Amber, Tarragon

The dreamer by versace - on osmoz.com
    Top: Clary sage, Lavander, Mandarin, Mace
    Middle:Tobacco, Geranium, Carnation, Rose
    base:Vetiver, cedar, Tonka, Fir
    Edit/Delete Message

Default Re: Basenotes note pyramid information

I regularly consult six sites for pyramid information (basenotes.net, osmoz.com, perfumeintelligence.co.uk, scentdirect.com, parfyym.pri.ee, fragrantica.com).

I don't know where they obtain their information and they rarely agree with each other.

To me, the most reliable site is parfyym.pri.ee. It is in Estonian. I use two online Estonian/English translation sites and the list compiled by scentemental that was posted in the recent thread: Fragrance Notes?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost