Code of Conduct

Default Tumulte by Christian Lacroix - Woody+++

I just bought a small bottle of Tumulte which was going cheap. I'd have to rank it among the top four woodiest scents I own, together with Gucci Pour Homme, Fendi Life Essence and Gucci Rush.

It was immediately very reminiscent of Gucci Rush to me, despite the wood and incense components being different - the style was so similar.

Tumulte is certainly the scent to have if one is partial to cedar wood, and it has more output than Rush has.

I notice the reviews of it were certainly nothing positive, with most complaining that there was too much cedar. Did anyone else like it, or am I the only one who gets grabbed by strong woody smells around here?
    Cheers,
    Renato

Default Re: Tumulte by Christian Lacroix - Woody+++

I fell for this one too Renato when I worked with the company that launched it in Australia (Cosmax Pty Ltd) a few years back. I love the cedar and Australian sandalwood. Definitely a great, inexpensive woody scent.

I like woody scents but this one put me off. Smelled like an old cedar chest where I keep my blankets during the summer. Tumulte was very abrasive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I fell for this one too Renato when I worked with the company that launched it in Australia (Cosmax Pty Ltd) a few years back. I love the cedar and Australian sandalwood. Definitely a great, inexpensive woody scent.
    Phew - I thought this might be another one of my posts to which either I was the only one who liked it, or worse yet, to which I got zero response.

So now there's two of us who find it captivating or interesting!
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I like woody scents but this one put me off. Smelled like an old cedar chest where I keep my blankets during the summer. Tumulte was very abrasive to me.
    I suppose the question in my mind is - if you hadn't owned that old chest, might you have felt differently towards Tumulte?
    Renato

I swapped off my bottle of Tumulte. It was interesting as a change of pace initially, but then I came to find it both too abrasive or "rough" and "synthetic." Coincidentally, I sampled Oliban by Keiko Mecheri, starting about an hour ago, and I think this could be the smoother version of Tumulte that I would've liked, though I don't think it's FBW for me, because I don't like frags with such strong wood notes now. So, if you get a little bored with Tumulte, I suggest sampling Oliban.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 28th November 2008 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I swapped off my bottle of Tumulte. It was interesting as a change of pace initially, but then I came to find it both too abrasive or "rough" and "synthetic." Coincidentally, I sampled Oliban by Keiko Mecheri, starting about an hour ago, and I think this could be the smoother version of Tumulte that I would've liked, though I don't think it's FBW for me, because I don't like frags with such strong wood notes now. So, if you get a little bored with Tumulte, I suggest sampling Oliban.
    I get bored quickly with all very woody scents if used too frequently, but every now and then I just want woodiness, so that's not a problem with me for Tumulte.
    I haven't come across Oliban, sounds interesting though.
    I don't know what FBW means.
    Renato

full bottle worthy

;-)

Make that 3.
    I use this one as an example of how cedar can be similar to incense, as many compare it to Kyoto. I also use the aftershave as a cologne when I want a woody fragrance during summer time. It has an incredible sillage and longevity (more than some EDPs I have used).
    Last edited by irish; 29th November 2008 at 04:48 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Make that 3.
    I use this one as an example of how cedar can be similar to incense, as many compare it to Kyoto. I also use the aftershave as a cologne when I want a woody fragrance during summer time. It has an incredible sillage and longevity (more than some EDPs I have used).
    The small merry band grows bigger! Unfortunately, Kyoto is another of those scents I haven't come across yet.

I can see that it's very potent. In my race off, it wiped the floor with Gucci Rush - though I won't say Gucci Rush is short lived, since I've had it reappear strongly 14 hours after I thought it had disappeared.

I like really scents that Perfumeworld classify as woody-spicy (which I think Tumulte would be if they'd listed it), but most of them either conk out on me in a few hours, or just stop projecting like Rush does (which amounts to the same thing). I'm glad to see this example of one that doesn't.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 29th November 2008 at 05:53 AM.

I bought this blind and after trying it I thought it was way too woody, I didn't like it at all, so I returned it. couple of months later I was at Marshall's and they had it. I sprayed a little on my wrist to see if I still feel the same about it, and this time I actually liked it, so I bought it again. Now I love it. It's funny how your taste changes.

Quote Originally Posted by farno View Post
    I bought this blind and after trying it I thought it was way too woody, I didn't like it at all, so I returned it. couple of months later I was at Marshall's and they had it. I sprayed a little on my wrist to see if I still feel the same about it, and this time I actually liked it, so I bought it again. Now I love it. It's funny how your taste changes.
    Yes, it funny how we adapt to scents that initially seem too strong or too sharp in something (woody, rose, floral, herbal etc) and then our views change some time later. My biggest turnarounds were on Kouros and Paco Rabanne.
    Renato

count me in as a fan of this lovely, almost luxurious woody scent....the only thing which irritated me in the long run was a mentholated smell to it...it's very brash to the point it sticks on thruout the entire day...i leanrt from one Bner that it could be the Atlas Cedar that im smelling.

but then again, this has more to it...and i respect your choice.

I found it nice, although it smelt similar to Burberry London to me.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

One reason why I didn't see any reason to keep it was that Cuba Red is a spicy cedar that smells a bit more "natural" to me, and I have a huge bottle of it, so I knew I'd rarely use Tumulte PH (I do like Tumulte PF, but that is a totally different scent).

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    count me in as a fan of this lovely, almost luxurious woody scent....the only thing which irritated me in the long run was a mentholated smell to it...it's very brash to the point it sticks on thruout the entire day...i leanrt from one Bner that it could be the Atlas Cedar that im smelling.

but then again, this has more to it...and i respect your choice.
    Luxurious - that's a good description!.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    I found it nice, although it smelt similar to Burberry London to me.
    I found Burberry London too weak to give it much attention. I'll compare next time I come across it.
    Renato

I haven't tried Tumulte, but if you like cedar, give L'Occitane's Eau de Beaux a try. I really like that one.

Count it in as a fan, also.

What's wrong with cedar? Done right, it's a wonderful note!

I bought this for my DH and I like it. Love the bottle! I also think this would work good to layer with other scents, it could tone down ones that were to sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Subhalen View Post
    I haven't tried Tumulte, but if you like cedar, give L'Occitane's Eau de Beaux a try. I really like that one.
    Did you really think I could have tested Eau de Baux and not have already bought it? I love it, and could keep sniffing it all day. My wife doesn't like it for some reason, though.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    One reason why I didn't see any reason to keep it was that Cuba Red is a spicy cedar that smells a bit more "natural" to me, and I have a huge bottle of it, so I knew I'd rarely use Tumulte PH (I do like Tumulte PF, but that is a totally different scent).
    I've just sprayed some on each hand. While okay, Cuba Red just isn't in the same league in the richness department as Tumulte.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    Count it in as a fan, also.

What's wrong with cedar? Done right, it's a wonderful note!
    I agree, obviously.

Though I can sort of understand why some people may not go for cedar - they may have the same reaction I have to pine scents.

I've got several pine ones I picked up cheap (Agua Brava, Blenheim's Bouquet, Versace Green Jeans) and I find it hard to warm to them because of that note. I'm now somewhat warmed to Green Jeans, but it took a while.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by ChantillyLace View Post
    I bought this for my DH and I like it. Love the bottle! I also think this would work good to layer with other scents, it could tone down ones that were to sweet.
    Yes, the bottle and the box are really eye catching, aren't they?
    Renato

Yesterday evening I wore Cuba Red (3 sprays to chest). I tried to blow down the top notes to prevent olfactory calibration on them. For a while I didn't think I smelled much of anything, but as the night went on I got nice wafts of it from time to time. From what I remember of Tumulte, the cedar just kept coming at me for several hours, and there was something about it that didn't seem "natural." So I agree Tumulte is stronger beyond the top notes, but I think that's the point (for me). Too much cedar and I'm out of there!
    LOL.