Code of Conduct

Default Warm scents for Winter?

Hypnotic Poison is my staple at the moment, to me it's warm and snuggly, a true comfort scent.

I recently happened upon Dior Addict, which although I felt was a little over powering at first, loved the dry down, of sexy vanilla/woods. The only drawback is that initially it gave me bad headache! Maybe it is all about moderation....

Are there any frags similar to this that wont blow my head off?

Thanks!

Default Re: Warm scents for Winter?

Maybe try Kenzo Amour. It's a lovely vanilla that I associate with Hypnotic Poison.

Oooops... should have mentioned I already have that. Love it to bits, but it doesnt last that long unfortunately!

Another scent in that cathegory is Boucheron's Trouble.

Oh brill - I will have to give that a sniff!

I tried 'L' by Lolita Lempicka today.... loved it, made me hungry, lol.

Then I remembered Jean Paul Gaultiers Classique, that I wore many years ago, and thought I'd give it another sniff. I had previously owned the EDT, but today tried both EDP and EDT and got completely puzzled as they are not alike at all! I could hardly smell the EDP, it could have been an entirely different perfume...

I've read the reviews for this on here, but wondered if anyone could give me a little more info on the EDP? Not sure I could go back to the EDT as it's too much for my nose now, but I might go give the EDP a try if softer/creamier. Sampling both at the same time was probabaly not a good idea as the EDT took over my nostrils!

Cheers guys.

Ralph Lauren Hot is a perfect scent for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by goldiloks View Post
    I tried 'L' by Lolita Lempicka today.... loved it, made me hungry, lol.
    My 15 year old niece wears L by Lolita Lempicka, and I told her it always smells like sugar cookies when she's wearing it!

Hi Gold, I love too wearing warm scents for winter.

I consider lots of different fragrances as warm and they are in several olfactive categories: it could be a mouthwatering vanilla, woods, spices, ...

For examples:

I consider Féminité du Bois (Shiseido) as warm: cinnamon, cedar, sandalwood are the main notes and give me the envelopping, surrounding, warming feeling. A similar fragrance but fruitier (peach) is Dolce Vita by Dior.

In the chypre category (my favourite!), I pick up for you Magie Noire: after the top notes comes incense blended with the wonderful chypre base. I advise also Aromatics Elixir (Clinique) which was created towards a soothing effect on the body and the mind. I'd also say Ysatis (Givenchy) which is quite animalic.

In the foody category: Angel has to be mentioned: fruits, chocolate, vanilla, patchouli. To me, Angel is even more woody than foody but it's only my opinion. If you prefer a more sugared perfume, then I advise Innocent (Thierry Mugler too) and Escada Sentiment (however, I don't know if it's still in production). Sentiment makes me think about candies. You have also to try Pink Sugar (Aquolina).

The oriental family contains most of my warming scents: Coco (Chanel), Youth Dew (Estée Lauder), Cinnabar (Estée Lauder), Spellbound (Estée Lauder), Voile d'Ambre (Yves Rocher), Alien (Thierry Mugler), Sun (Jil Sander), Loulou (Cacharel) ... I'm sure I can add more! They have all amber which is very warming.

Musks are also great for this effect: Musk by Alyssa Ashley, Noa (Cacharel), Narciso Rodriguez, Agent Provocateur have all a huge dose of musk which is hot!

Even in the floral category you can find something: to me, a flowers bouquet can be warming: Amarige (Givenchy), Beautiful (Estée Lauder), Cabotine (Grès) come to my mind.

I love your topic!
    If you were to say to the grown-ups: “I saw a beautiful house made of rosy brick, with geraniums in the windows and doves on the roof,” they would not be able to get an idea of that house at all. You have have to say to them: “I saw a house that cost $20,000.” Then they would exclaim: “Oh, what a pretty house that is!”

(extract from "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

Think about it...

I just sampled PG's Felanilla and that is so dreamy and yummy I wanted to gobble myself, but you have to like vanilla/saffron. Much better IMO than the Indian rice-pudding scent of Safran Troublant. I would buy a bottle right now if it weren't so short-lived, but might anyway.

I forgot to mention Jean-Charles de Castelbajac, with its almond note that is most often compared to that vintage glue scent.
    If you were to say to the grown-ups: “I saw a beautiful house made of rosy brick, with geraniums in the windows and doves on the roof,” they would not be able to get an idea of that house at all. You have have to say to them: “I saw a house that cost $20,000.” Then they would exclaim: “Oh, what a pretty house that is!”

(extract from "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

Think about it...

Warm and spicy are nice for winter, especially Idole, Sables, Egoiste, Black Cashmere.

Or Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant? Soo spicy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut View Post
    I just sampled PG's Felanilla and that is so dreamy and yummy I wanted to gobble myself, but you have to like vanilla/saffron. Much better IMO than the Indian rice-pudding scent of Safran Troublant. I would buy a bottle right now if it weren't so short-lived, but might anyway.
    Thanks for the report, Chestnut. I need to sample this one!

Bulgari Jasmin Noir, Estee Lauder Sensuous, Carnival Wax Sugarwitch, Tocca Cleopatra, Juliette Has a Gun Lady Vengeance, Giorgio Red (don't laugh, I'm serious! )

Seconding Haunani, Chestnut - PG Felanilla is on my must-sample list as well. Thanks for the comments/reminder.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

I have been living almost exclusively in Black Cashmere for the past couple of weeks, since the weather turned bitter. It makes me feel snuggled.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I recommend Creed Jasmine Imperiatrice Eugenie for that smooth, sweet aroma that you crave.

Organza Indecence, Parfum Sacre, Neonatura Cocoon, Adrienne Vittadini, Cristobal, Burberry, Casmir,

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut View Post
    My first sampling of Felanilla was also short-lived -- but I just gave a full wear yesterday (as in amounts equal to a few sprays) and it lasted forever. (8am till 11pm) I agree that Felanilla is much better than Safran Troublant.

Basenotes Institution

Try Hermessence: Ambre Narguile by Hermes or Chergui by Serge Lutens
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Indult Tihota (vanilla musk)
    KenzoAmour Indian Holi
    Frederic Malle Noir Epices and Musc Ravageur
    SL Un Vois Vanilla (toasted vanilla marshmallow with wood)

Just to name a few. In fact, I have realized that my entire wardrobe is filled with warm, Fall and Winter/cooll weather, nurturing scents. I need to work on the fresh/aquatic/greens at some point!
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 28th November 2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: error

I'm liking Dolce & Gabbana The One lately. It's cozy and friendly.

Being a HUGE fan of Dior Addict, I also love Coco and Un Bois Vanille for cool weather comfort. Lolita Lempicka (the original edp) also!

Blog Entries

May I humbly suggest:

TBS Woody Sandalwood
    Rochas Femme
    CDG Wood Coffee
    Coty Wild Woods
    Dolce & Gabbana Sicily
    Ava Luxe Sweet Patchouli
    Yves Rocher Voile D'Ambre
    IPdF Ambre del Nepal
    Dolce & Gabbana BY woman
    Rochas Absolu
    Moschino Couture!
    Joop! Femme
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles
    Last edited by moondeva; 28th November 2008 at 05:45 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I get a root beer accord from Hypnotic Poison and think Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo Di Sicilia smells almost exactly like a root beer float. It's worth a try too.

Here are some sweet ones :

Le Baiser du Dragon - Dior
    Bois de Réglisse - Caron
    Violette - Berdoues
    Datura Noir - Serge Lutens
    Songes - Annick Goutal
    The L'Art et la Matière Collection - Guerlain
    Abricot Vanille - Sud Comptoir Pacifique
    Vanille Noire du Mexique - La Maison de la Vanille
    Last edited by Night; 28th November 2008 at 06:27 PM.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Chanel - Bois des Iles (velvety, slightly vanillic, sandalwoodsy scent) and L'Artisan Perfumier - Timbuktu (spicy, warm dried fruits and incense scent).