Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Friday 28th November

Morning everyone!
    I'm wearing Burberry Brit for a surprisingly sunny day.
    Wish you all a lovely weekend!

Default Re: SotD Friday 28th November

Happy Birthday Kumquat

I can't imagine you are still hungry after Thanksgiving, but you still get a kumquat cake

Testing the new release of Divine: L'être aimé. One version is for women and one for men but both have the Immortelle (everlasting flower) as main theme.
    At the moment the women's version is the winner.......but there is more testing needed.

L'Être Aimé Homme

Top notes: Bergamot, Lavender tincture, Ginger, Basil
    Heart notes: Celery, Cardamom, Everlasting flower
    Base notes: Amber, Cistus, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver

L'Être Aimé Femme

Top notes: Neroli, Bergamot, Nectarine
    Heart notes: Jasmine, Lily, Rose, Everlasting flower
    Base notes: Cistus, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Vetiver, Vanilla

A great Friday to you all

The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

In the divine L'HEURE BLEUE today

Sur la Plage

Yves Saint-Laurent Opium pour Homme EDT

Top Notes: Star Aniseed, Blackcurrant
    Middle Notes: Chinese Galanga, Szechwan Pepper
    Base Notes: Fresh Bourbon Vanilla, Tolu Balm, Atlas Cedar

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Musc Ravageur

Happy birthday Kumquat! Though I bet you got a few toasts around the Thanksgiving dinner table yesterday. Obviously we didn't do Thanksgiving, but I am quite jealous of a public holiday that rotates around a humungous feast. We don't do enough feasting these days, by which I mean gathering with people we love and having a wonderful celebration of our lives and our happinesses. I was lucky enough to be brought up in a family that feasted at any possible occasion. Famously, we had an impromptu feast to celebrate the clearing of a treestump from our lane. It was so good it became an annual institution, known as Stump Day. One of the best inventions was the "pause for general drinking" between courses (my Pa used to teach Drama, in case you hadn't guessed) and the wonderful habit of toasting not only whatever reason we had found to celebrate that day, but the events to celebrate throughout the coming year. (We kids had to keep track of where we were in the calendar.) Happy days.

For the third day in a row I am in Chanel No 22. Yes, it's THAT good.
    The best way I can describe its effect on me is still to say 'it smells like how I feel about snow'. I know that is totally illogical.

After yesterday's medical adventures I now know that I have bendy tooth roots (annoying to the poor dentist who is trying to dig them out with a teeny tiny file), that a root canal really truly doesn't hurt as much as a filling (honest! I was astonished!), that I have polycycstic ovaries and that I need to lose a bunch of weight. I had guessed the last two. Heck, I weigh 97 kilos. I may joke about having the constitution of a horse, but I weigh the same as a pony. Something's gotta give. I think it's going to be my calorie intake.

Somehow I think a few of our US Basenoters may be making the same vow this morning, though for different reasons.
    Love, hugs and AlkaSeltzer to those who need it
    x
    Last edited by Wordbird; 28th November 2008 at 09:18 AM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Woke up before 4 AM today. 47 F outside and not a lot warmer inside as the heat was not on. The cats were not happy. For south Florida in November that is pretty cold. Geir Ness as SotD.

Happy Birthday to Kumquat

When I was growing up here I used to swipe kumquats from neighbor's trees and pop them into my mouth to eat, skin and all.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Happy Birthday, Kumquat (nice name ).

I'm wearing Vol de Nuit today.

I was undecided, but walked through the department store on my way home from the butcher's and when I explained to the assistant at the Guerlain counter that I was trying to avoid further purchases for now, in the interests of having some money left to buy Christmas presents for other people, she suggested that I spray on something I liked to be going on with. Vol de Nuit is the next on my hit list (I have decant on its way to me, to help me resist the big bottle for a bit longer), so I went for that.
    Last edited by Ailuros; 28th November 2008 at 09:18 AM.

Belated Thanksgiving to those over the pond (I just read all the menus yesterday, yummy!) and a very Happy Birthday to kumquat.

Riannon
    , that cake makes me salivate...didn't have breakfast this morning
    And please, would you tell how much you smell everlasting in L'Etre aimé?? El Attarine didn't have enough, so I have high hopes for this one.

It is snowing hard over here, folks! True Christmas weather, but a month too early.

I am feeling just a tiny little bit naughty in L'Artisan Parfumeur

Dzing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Louve today from SL

Happy birthday kumquat!
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Happy, happy birthday, kumquat!
    I never saw or ate a kumquat fruit. Oh no, don't worry!
    Coco Mademoiselle, because I need to work from home and this seems like a work scent.

Happy Birthday, Kumquat !

Ah, Wordie...we are flawed creatures of the Divine, ain't we?
    You're gonna outlast us ALL, honey.
    And I ADORE PONIES !!!!
    Wanna fight ?!!!!

Went to bed in Memoire Liquide's Ambre Ancien and Perle Lustre- a conbo of almost piney resins coupled with a creamy musk / heliotropin.

Today is work, work, work-
    And Arabian Musk Gazelle- a cheery, Taifi rose blended with 'real' musk- soft, tenacious.

Feel better, those who aren't up to speed...
    Kisses.

Smile Re: SotD Friday 28th November

Patricia de Nicolai, NEW YORK

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

A very happy birthday to Kumquat!

Enjoyed a busy Friday at work with the divine little cheapie, Revlon Fire & Ice (the mention that Taolady wore this just before I returned had me craving it!)

I'm headed out on a VERY early flight tomorrow morning. For my 21st birthday (still not for awhile) my mum is taking me to Melbourne for a whirlwind shopping experience! Some specifics on my list are:
    - a nice, large-ish black handbag
    - semi-formal black jacket
    - nice black ballet flats (as mine are completely dead!!)

I notice a trend with this list... hmmm, I wonder what it could be...

Anyway, I will keep my eye out for any interesting perfumes on the trip. May not be able to join in on the celebrity scents tomorrow, as it may just be too cruel a thing to do to fellow plane passengers!
    Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Happy Birthday Kumquat.

I'm in Romeo Gigli Man, and I manage to broke the decant which still has around 3ml. left!
    This is the first time I broke a perfume bottle, luckily it's just a small decant.
    Last edited by Jasper; 28th November 2008 at 10:44 AM.

Good morning everybody Today I almost reached for my decant of Sa majeste la rose,but then decided that I needed some Feminite du bois instead. I can't believe how much snow we've had just the last week or so! I don't mind really,because the snow really lightens up an otherwise quite dark day. Happy birthday to Kumquat and hope the rest of you have a great friday!

TGIF! And happy birthday Kumquat

DIOR HOMME for today.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Happy Bday Kumquat! (I almost typed "Happy Kumquat day" which admittedly has a nice ring to it)

Jil Sander Sun for me today, although there's nary a ray in sight.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Diorama
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Many happy retuturns to Kumquat!

((( Stump Day...and ..... "pause for general drinking" )))

I wonder what it feels like having something like Christmas just before Christmas, aka the Thanksgiving Day. Anyway, I hope you Americans all enjoyed yourselves, and are ready to start all over again next month.

Today I'm wearing a small dose of the lovely La Perla.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KUMQUAT!!

As the new fragrance goes: Viva La Juicy!

Not that I am wearing it, mind. So far just Divine L'Infante, as I didn't want to freak out the optician during my contact lens check.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Happy Birthday, Kumquat!

I hope you enjoy your special day.

I'm wearing Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir again today. I fell in love with it yesterday. It took me a few wearings to really appreciate it.

Happy Friday!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 28th November 2008 at 12:49 PM.

Birthday Greeting to the lovely Kumquat!!! Have a FABULOUS day!

I'll be spritzing on some Coco, as we lug out the Christmas decor and get in the mood for Dec. 25th!

Basenotes Plus

Sharing the house with lovely Coconut,
    L'eau d'Hiver for me. Happy Friday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Happy Birthday to Kumquat and many fragrant returns!

Hugs to Wordbird and everyone else in need of them.

Wanted to go with Divine Divine, but changed my mind and now am in Chanel Cuir de Russie.

Noir Epices just a tad but I am in the mood for spices today. I love the hint of orange in this.

Happy B-day Kumquat!

Feeling very feminine in Chanel Allure Sensuelle today.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Wearing my "I survived another Thanksgiving" smile, I am wearing Attrape-Coeur. Today will be another family day, a bit harder to manage as I continue to feel under the weather. But the sheer beauty that is Attrape-Coeur makes my spirit soar. This much beauty in the world, and, unlike a Matisse, this is a beauty I can own!

Happy Birthday to my friend in Nebraksa, Kumquat.
    I never use emoticons, but today I will make an exception.

:wave::wave::wave::kiss::beer::bath:::bounce::bounce::bounce:
    You sure got a lot of nice cakes here today.

Today I wear Coty Wild Musk. No kidding.

One of the cheapies but goodies still around. Always loved it.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 28th November 2008 at 02:59 PM.

Noir Epices
    Frederic Malle

(Thank you, Andrew_B!)

Happy Birthday, kumquat!
    Last edited by Aiona; 28th November 2008 at 03:00 PM.

Happy birthday Kumquat!!! Hope you have an awesome day.
    Tavorna there was one black thing left off of your list; Bvlgari Black!!
    Have a great pre-birthday trip.
    Still suffering from eating too much and we are off to CT and my sister's in a few minutes.
    I needed something light today so I am wearing:
    Bvlgari Eau Perfumee au The Vert

Wearing this the day after wearing Un Jardin sur Le Nil you can definitely see the same hand at work in Ellena's construction of these scents.Here its lemon and orange at the top before the light floral middle comes in with rose and jasmine. This leads to the eponymous green tea in the base which ties this off nicely. For those who like the minimalism of Ellena and I realize this isn't everyone's cup of tea (pun intended) this is an excellent example.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Happy Birthday to Kumquat!

Wearing Mitsouko parfum today.

Somerville - my favorite Ellena is Kelly Caleche, although it took me quite awhile to appreciate it.

Tavornia - have fun with the shopping trip! You have a nice, concise list there!

happy is the bleu heart<3

I'm wearing i Profumi di Firenze Muschio Nero today. mmmm I love this stuff ...

I'm meeting my sister, her boyfriend, and my mom for lunch. My mom also wants to shop I HATE the crowds that will be out shopping today.

sending happy birthday wishes to kumquat
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 28th November 2008 at 04:07 PM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I'm with Coconut today, Musc Ravageur is my choice.
    Happy birthday, Kumquat!

Basenotes Institution

White by Comme des Garcons

The perfect scent for a sunny cool day in Miami - one that I plan on doing absolutely nothing in, except maybe getting some sun in my backyard.

Happy B'day Kumquat!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KUMQUAT!

You've got some lovely cakes there!

I'm wearing Soir de Lune. Its steadfastness got me through the grind of this final day of a very hard week.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Happy Birthday Kumquat!

I'm wearing Angel. One squirt, dabbed around.
    “Auntie Mame [is] a froth of whipped cream and champagne and daydreams and Nuit de Noël perfume. She's not mortal at all.”- Patrick Dennis

Happy Birthday, Kumquat!!!

I'm still visiting family in Portland, OR. Planning a quiet afternoon and evening with my parents while hubby and bro do a little Willamette Valley wine touring. I'm sure hubby will bring me back a few of what he calls "elixirs of great merit".

MY elixir of great merit will be a touch of AOMASSAI! Love that licorice opening...

Happy Birthday Kumquat! Many happy returns of the day.

I am scentfree for now but sniffing a few samples from Serena include Rosa de la Luz, which I've been longing for.

I spent last night in the ER after a severe allergic reaction to heaven knows what. Multiple IV drips and medications later I am back home, but no wiser as to the culprit. Scary as heck.

So I'll be making allergist appointments as riding with the EMTs is no fun at all!

Happy Birthday, Kumquat!

Haunani, have you been to the wonderful shop called The Perfume House in Portland, yet? If not -- go!

Wordbird, you have a way with words for certain!

Off to watch my students rehearse their number from Chicago (The Cellblock Tango!), as I wear Dzing!

Scary is right, Zibeline! Glad you're back home, at least.

SotD, Néonatura Cocoon.

Happy birthday, kumquat!

Happy Birthday, Kumquat!

Etat Libre d'OrangeROSSY DE PALMA
    (Antoine Lie & Antoine Maisondieu)

Notes:
    Ginger, black pepper of Madagascar, bergamot, Bulgarian rose, blood accord, jasmin, benzoin, patchouli, incense, cacao

Happy Birthday Kumquat!!!

Wearing FM Noir Espices today. Unfortunately I am heading to visitation services for my best friends Mom. It's always a horrible thing to lose your Mother but during the holidays especially hard.

Wordbird I love the idea of a "pause for general drinking" I will be putting that to use!

Wordbird, so entertainingly self-deprecating - I sympathise and hear you on the health issues. I'm sure you'd only be a little pony. And maybe pink with nice long hair

Happy birthday to Kumquat!

My SotD was Eau de Shalimar again (today and yesterday). This scent fits me like a glove (better than the original, although I still love that too). It's as if someone peeled off Shalimar's clothes and jewellery and smile and make-up and put it in a bottle. Its soul may have been left behind, but I like the pretty stuff.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Merciful Zeus, Zibeline! Honey, honey, honey, take care of yourself--which I know is hard when you don't know what's attacking you.
    I want to mark my calendar--what day is Stump Day, Wordie?
    How about some Kumquat juice to toast our birthday girl!
    (Served spiked, if you like)

Started with Molinard de Molinard. Now sampling Bois 1920 Real Patchouly.

Happy Kumquat Day (sorry to steal it, veuve amiot, but I liked it)!

Zibeline, how scary. I hope the culprit is found soon.

Wordbird, loved the idea of Stump Day. Oh, and I've been avoiding the doctor because I know I'm going to hear the same thing. (Not about the cysts, but about the weight.) I do think I might start having to measure my weight in kilograms rather than in pounds, because kgs are lower. I've just never been able to figure out why it's so easy to gain and so hard to lose--isn't that against one of the laws of thermodynamics? Seriously, though, for me, it means cutting back on the simple carbs (including sugar and bread) and doing some weight lifting or other resistance training (the lazy dieter's solution: for every extra pound of muscle, you burn 50 calories a day, even sleeping!). We can do it--yes we can!

Anyhow, SotDs are Amouage Jubilation XXV (right arm) and Jubilation 25 (left). Both of these turn sweet and musty on me, not the best combination. Oh well, that's money saved.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 28th November 2008 at 07:13 PM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

Thanks for the birthday wishes, everybody!! I'm wearing L'Heure Bleu
    I'm loving all the different cakes. You may wonder why I chose Kumquat as my moniker. It doesn't really come from a great love of the fruit. It's from my love of classic movies, especially comedies. One of the many dubious terms of endearment used by W.C. Fields for Mae West, I believe (I didn't research it, though - just a recollection) was " My little Kumquat". I thought that made a nice crossover into perfume territory.

Thanks again, everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Estee Lauder Sensuous

Zib, that's AWFUL.
    Be cautious,honey...glad you're OK.

Therese wrote "Attrape-Coeur makes my spirit soar. This much beauty in the world, and, unlike a Matisse, this is a beauty I can own!"

My friends and family are supportive of my perfume obsession - but sometimes when I rhapsodize about a particular scent, they tend to give me a somewhat "knowing" look. As if to say "Let the crazy lady ramble on....because it makes her happy" - You know, ....that sort of thing. [grin]

It is WONDERFUL to check in here each day to read the threads/comments because all of you UNDERSTAND!! I'm grateful to have found fellow perfume lovers.

Today I'm in L'Instant Magic by Guerlain. It is not universally loved, but the important thing is that I LOVE it! Its soft powdery beauty is very soothing to me, and that is what I need today.

Zibeline, I don't know how I missed your post -- I hope you are completely okay now. Poor pumpkin!!!

I'd like to echo everyone's salutations to Kumquat by also wishing her a Happy Birthday! And I love the reason you chose the name---that's so cute!)

Poor Zibeline, may you quickly get to the bottom of your medical mystery so you can avoid a recurrance. Any trip to the ER is a nightmare. Hope you're feeling better.

Today I'm wearing L'Artisan's Dzongkha, from the blind buy bottle that just arrived in today's mail. DH (our TwoRoads) and I will share it! It has some very different (and very nice) little "ins and outs" as it goes from initial spray to drydown. I like it even better than I thought I would. It's a keeper!

Happy Birthday to Kumquat!

To Zibeline I hope you are recovering from that awful experience and it doesn't take too long to discover what caused the reaction.

Wearing Miller Harris Fleur Oriental courtesy of Taolady. From the Miller Harris website the notes are fresh orange flower, heliotrope, spicy carnation and turkish rose with basenotes of amber, vanilla and musk. One of the classiest perfumes I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. It is totally swoonworthy and I can't wait to have my own bottle. Very positive comments on this frag from friends and family today!

Happy Birthday Kumquat! Spending the day in Belle en Rykiel.

Happy Birthday Kumquat!

On one arm I have Sinfonia's Amande Sucre and on the other Profumum's Acqua e Zucchero. Trying to decide if either is worth purchasing from Lucky Scent RIGHT NOW! ^_^
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 28th November 2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MY LITTLE KUMQUAT!!! (heh heh heh)

For me, its day three of Viv...in Anglomania!! (Gearing up for tomorrow's Scandalous Celeb Scents Day!!

Zibs! Sweetheart!! Keep us posted.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Tabaróme Millésime as SotE.

Zibeline how awful..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Happy Birthday Kumquat!

Zibeline, take good care. Sounds terrifying.
    Wordbird, you take care too!

Today a little Ta'If, and this afternoon some Dans Tes Bras.

I'm planning some Carnal Flower for later.

SotA: Lyric Rain by Strange Invisible Perfumes

notes: jasmine, blue lotus, pink pepper, patchouli, lavender
    Haunting. But I think Tovah's review says it best: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125025.html

SotE: JM Sweet Lime & Cedar
    Last edited by BlackCat; 29th November 2008 at 12:02 AM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Rochas Absolu

Happy birthday Kumquat! Are you into football? My hubby is from Nebraska and is very excited today.

Best wishes to Zibeline and Wordbird. I hope you feel better soon.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 29th November 2008 at 12:43 AM.