Code of Conduct

Question Enchanted before trying?

Has a perfume ever enchanted you before you even sampled it? Diorella has haunted my thoughts delightfully ever since I first learned of its existence. I love the name and the description of the notes. I love the images and feelings it evokes. I've decided that a decant of it will definitely be on my birthday list next year. I'm sure I'm going to love it.

Default Re: Enchanted before trying?

Ormonde Jayne Woman; total disappointment when the sample arrived. Oh, well....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    Ormonde Jayne Woman; total disappointment when the sample arrived. Oh, well....
    I didn't like it at first either. I tried it again a year later and it is my holy grail scent now. It is so different from anything else because of the hawthorn. It's a dark green scent which recalls imagery of deep mossy forests.
    Last edited by kumquat; 29th November 2008 at 02:26 AM.

Diorella is one of my all-time favorite scents. I originally purchased unsniffed, but I admit that I sampled Eau Sauvage before I decided to spring for Diorella. They are very similar.
    “Auntie Mame [is] a froth of whipped cream and champagne and daydreams and Nuit de Noël perfume. She's not mortal at all.”- Patrick Dennis

Love's True Bluish Light and Venus Sands by Ava-luxe. Both sounded irresistible based on notes and Serena's description.

I love them both.

I have been haunted by, and then subsequently blown away by, too many to mention all of them -- so I will mention just Ormonde Woman. One that haunted me and then disappointed me was Anné Pliska.

Parfum Sacre and 24, Faubourg. I love them both so much!

Ormonde Jayne Woman which I now love and which intrigued me after reading a "desert island" type post on Now Smell This a while back.
    Indult C-16 which, when I finally got a sample, I could BARELY smell (for $250 a bottle, I had better be practically suffocated by it!)

Basenotes Institution

The Unicorn Spell was one I bought off Luckyscent just because the description and the notes sounded wonderful. Love's true Bluish Light I bought just from reading reviews about it without sampling.I love both .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 28th November 2008 at 11:47 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Poivre Piquant in particular, but actually the whole L'Artisan Épices series. They were what sucked me into niche fragrance, but it took forever for me to get my hands on them. And what disappointments they were... Nice, surely, but not the HG material I had dreamt them up to be.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Veuve Amiot - same experience here with L' Artisan - in general. Disappointment (in particular Tubereuse - high expectations failed)

Well, the thing is, the first two or three L'Artisans I tried in a brick-and-mortar store near me, I loved. Loved to bits. So I thought: this is what niche is all about, and I will love everything this house churns out. That idea, coupled with the glowing reviews of the Épices trio set the bar very high for them.
    Of course, by now I have found many Artisans don't work for me, and those first two I loved were lucky picks.
    Still, it was a huge let-down. Like being told Santa Claus doesn't exist. (Or more accurately: Sinterklaas. I mean, a fat dude on a sleigh pulled by reindeer? Pssh. A skinny ex-bishop from Spain on a white horse with soot-black aides, that's where it's at.)
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

This one enchants me...

And I've never tried it. Borneo 1834.

Basenotes Institution

It took me almost a year after joining Basenotes to finally try Shalimar. I was kind of scared I might hate it once I did. When I first bought it (I bought the Eau de Cologne formula) I was a little scared since the bergamot has that resinous and powdery kick when you apply it and I almost thought I'd have to get rid of it. But after about 4-5 wearings, I fell in love with it and now if I'm climbing into bed and I don't know what scent to wear to go to sleep, I always reach for the Shalimar.

Just recently I smelled the parfum. Wow!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    .....Still, it was a huge let-down. Like being told Santa Claus doesn't exist. (Or more accurately: Sinterklaas. I mean, a fat dude on a sleigh pulled by reindeer? Pssh. A skinny ex-bishop from Spain on a white horse with soot-black aides, that's where it's at.)
    Veuve amiot, your Sinterklaas sounds ever so much more stylish than our Santa!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    This one enchants me... And I've never tried it. Borneo 1834.
    Lilybelle, me too! It's so exotic-sounding. And oh, the bottle!

My fragrance of enchantment is EN PASSANT. When I first read about it here and on the perfume blogs, it sounded magical. I ordered my sample, and I was even more blown away than I'd expected. What a perfectly delightful composition!
    Last edited by Haunani; 29th November 2008 at 03:54 PM.