Code of Conduct

Default stinky toiletries / cosmetics

This is not so much a question as a chance to rant, but bear with me.

I bought a handcream the other day, a 'natural' one loaded with lovely oils and goodness. It's terrific, works really well. BUT it absolutely stinks. It's terrible - like cheap bleach.
    I couldn't believe it - nearly £7 for something I just won't ever use. Even the woman I sit next to at work commented on it.

I wrote to the company and complained and they just wrote back an acknowledgement and said, yes I was right, with natural ingredients they don't add an artificial perfume, but that hardly seems an excuse to me for something that smells so rotten.

So I was wondering - what cosmetics or toiletries have you splashed out on that you've had to ditch or return because the scent was so unpleasant. Or, if you have some insider knowledge, how do firms decide on what's acceptable or unacceptable.

cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: stinky toiletries/ cosmetics

I remember trying CoverGirl foundation when I was in high school and dropping it in the trash because of its peculiar odor. I don't think it's improved, because there are still a lot of complaints about "that CoverGirl smell."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    I remember trying CoverGirl foundation when I was in high school and dropping it in the trash because of its peculiar odor. I don't think it's improved, because there are still a lot of complaints about "that CoverGirl smell."
    Yep, Covergirl make-up smells medicinal, like antisceptic...like Noxema. I don't know of anyone who would want to smell like that!

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh I remember that Covergirl smell from highschool, too. In fact I bet if it still smells the same way it could induce some memories in me today.

Also HATE the way Pantene shampoo smells. My sister uses it and it stinks up her hair, her clothes, her house, and follows her in a cloud. Horrible.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Default Re: stinky toiletries / cosmetics

The lotion that came with my Tommy Bahama gift set had a nasty smell.It smelled like tropical plastic and it had an effect on the perfume so I returned the set.

I just don't understand how some of this stuff gets into the shops. No one I have given this hand cream to can bear it. It's extraordinary and yet they seem to think it's fine. Surely someone in the company would at some point think, if we gave this a nice smell we'd sell more of it?? But maybe that's too basic for them, I dunno.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've noticed that some natural ingredient skin products can smell funky. As far as fragrances added, some companies actually add essential oils or floral essences to their products. Maybe you ought to look into a product that is scented with EOs!

What does the cream smell like? Medicinal? Moldy? Cheasy?.....

Perhaps you can try adding a few drops of EO to the cream, before you finally give up and toss it out?!

Spike Lavender EO is pretty mild smelling and can actually save to be used undiluted. (Regular) Lavender EO is also save but a bit stronger smelling.

Stay away from citrus based EOs. With those you've got to be careful with dosage or they can cause allergic reactions and UV sensitivity.
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

I smell floor cleaner before I buy it! I cant buy anything stinky (I dont care how fab it is).
    Already mentioned Covergirl clean makeup, I hate the smell of Phisoderm cleanser, my grandma bought it help with my acne, but it was so god awful I threw it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I won a gift certificate to a hair salon in a fundraiser, and it came with a selection of Goldwell hair products. I was really excited because I had used Goldwell hair color back when I was a colorist... but they smelled bad. The hair creme had a generic 'male' scent (very 90s, synthetic, metallic, weird) and the gel had the same scent plus a skunk note. So bad that I just couldn't use it again. I gave the hair creme to someone else, and they gave it back! If there was no fragrance, I would LOVE this line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silverwaif77 View Post
    I hate the smell of Phisoderm cleanser, my grandma bought it help with my acne, but it was so god awful I threw it out.
    I remember that horrible precursor, PHisoHex, when I was a kid. Strange smell - and dangerous as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewal View Post
    I gave the hair creme to someone else, and they gave it back!
    OMG! I don't think there's a better test for whether something is really bad. I just hope you didn't lose any friendship doing it!