Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Serge Lutens Borneo 1834

38 45.78%
  • Chanel Coromandel

45 54.22%
    Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chanel Coromandel vs Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 (Battle of Sheldrake's Chocochouli Duo)

Both Coromandel and Borneo 1834 are based around patchouli and chocolate.
    Both are done by Christopher Sheldrake. (with Jacques Polges also in on the Coromandel)
    Both are pretty much full bottle worthy to many people.
    Both share a very similar woody amber dry down.

So which do you prefer -- and why?

These are the differences I see:
    Coromandel: Definitely has Chanel written all over it. More 'sumptuous' with iris and is both sweeter and spicier. Powdery. [EDT]
    Borneo 1834: Camphorous with some minute florals? Drier and simpler, but foodier. It really is patchouli and chocolate and just that, and is good at it too.[EDP]

If I had to choose one and only one to own, I think it would be the Coromandel.
    Last edited by moltening; 29th November 2008 at 05:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chanel Coromandel vs Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 (Battle of Sheldrake's Chocochouli

Coromandel has Chanel written over it -- its lighter, more multifaceted.

Borneo has Serge Lutens written over it - more monolithic and forceful. An overpowering blend of two key notes, patchouli and chocolate.

I pick Borneo because Coromandel is a tad too floral (and pricey!) for me.
    -

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Chanel Coromandel vs Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 (Battle of Sheldrake's Chocochouli

The "monlithic and forceful" aspect is precisely why I don't like Borneo. Coromandel is much more civilized.

I'm with ZZ: Borneo 1834.
    With the exception of Cuir de Russie, the Chanel Exclusives are just too polite for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, size considered, Coromandel is much cheaper (~$50/50ml vs $140/50ml).
    I own and love both - I picked Coromandel here only because it has a touch more "Chanel refinement" that ultimately makes it easier for me to wear, day or night. Both of them are really magnificent though.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't vote since I've only smelled B1834. But I think I'm getting a sample of Coromandel soon, so when I do, I'll vote and reply w/ my comments.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I love - and own - both, but Coromandel has the slight edge because it's just so damn smooth. Coromandel is one of the few patchouli-based fragrances that presents patchouli such that you're not broadcasting it to everyone around you. 1834 is about the chocolate/patchouli mix - a great accord in its own right. You can't go wrong with either.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing Coromandel to sleep. Lovely and 'smooth as silk.'

I think Coromandel is more wearable for most people, it's certainly more abstract and smoother.
    But I prefer Borneo for its straightforward message and its delectable coffee-chocolate interplay behind the camphoreous patchouli: it makes a very distinctive statement! (and I have found that dabbing vs. spritzing makes it easier to wear on many occassions)
    Last edited by helg; 30th November 2008 at 04:14 PM.

I just re-tried Coromandel and I've changed my mind. It's amazing! Patchouli is one of my favorite notes, while chocolate is way down on my list. I'm not getting so much chocolate from the Chanel and it doesn't feel as hermetically perfect as the other Exclusifs. I want a bottle, NOW!

Post Thanks / Like

Coromandel is definitely in my top-5. I have a very large decant I'm working on, but I may just buy a jug regardless. It's unbelievably smooth and for a patchouli fragrance, it doesn't hit you over the head with patchouli. I've love to see a pyramid for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Borneo, and a large decant of Coromandel. I agree with ZZTop that the SL is monolithic and the Chanel is multifaceted. It is really strange that a SL is almost more affordable, but I digress....

Coromandel is more wearable, although on my skin it has a "dirt" stage. I fascinated by the dirt smell, but it can be off-putting to me, so I can only imagine what others would smell. It is barely patchouli at all, in my opinion, and I smell no white chocolate. I get more of a floral patchouli with edible liquered fruits. It is as if Sheldrake took Feminite du Bois, Chanelified it, and added patchouli. I recognize a similar note of boozy flower/fruit in Coromandel, 31 Rue Cambon and the EDT of Bois des Iles.

Borneo is a powerhouse to start, but tames relatively quickly. It is much more about patchouli rawness, even if it uses many notes to achieve this affect. Borneo is nostalgic for me, so I am obviously biased in this way. However, I find that the composition top to bottom works a bit better in Borneo than in Coromandel due to the strange dirt stage I get with the Chanel. Side note, the only Exclusives that really worked for me, top to bottom, was Eau de Cologne, so it could be a common note in the other ones I tried that is the culprit for my skin.

Anyway, I did not vote...they are both great, but different enough that they can both have wardrobe space.
    Last edited by Asha; 7th December 2008 at 04:10 AM.

Anyone tried both Coromandel and Amour de Cacao? I really like AdC but B1834 not so much. Is Coromandel somewhere in between the two? I probably won't even bother with a sample of Coromandel, though, because I like AdC so much. And I also have Allure Sensuelle if I want a Chanel fix. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot vote, as I only know (and love) the dark rawness of Borneo.

Except for Antaeus I find Chanel's masculines too conventional and smooth, regrettably also the current version of Cuir de Russie. In a recent document, available for $9.99, somebody (what was his name again?) said: "The dream team at Chanel seems to delight in applying superior skills to existing ideas they deem worthy of perfecting: Coromandel was a reorchestration of Lutens’s Borneo 1832, and of course their Cologne is a “here’s how we do it” object lesson to every perfumer since the 1750s." That reminds me of Maestro Karajan's musical heritage: perfect perfomances can be admired but loose their fascination after a while.
    Last edited by narcus; 7th December 2008 at 07:27 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    In a recent document, available for $9.99, somebody (what was his name again?) said: "The dream team at Chanel seems to delight in applying superior skills to existing ideas they deem worthy of perfecting: Coromandel was a reorchestration of Lutens’s Borneo 1832."
    It actually isn't all that simple. Coromandel is targeted towards women and it isn't really the blatant riff on Borneo that Turin makes it out to be; where's the chocolate? It's more like a meditation on making a clean patchouli by adding a little vanilla.
    For me, Coromandel smells like a Guerlain done by Ellena.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th December 2008 at 03:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I find Coromandel "sweeter (& ever-so-slightly-sour)" than Borneo and has a "yumminess" that reminds me some of FM Musc Ravageur. Borneo is significantly "dryer" and to me seems more abstract. There's a different mood between the two fragrances. Coromandel seems more bright & cheerful, Borneo more melancholic by comparison. (I voted for Borneo 1834.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Coromandel is targeted towards women and it isn't really the blatant riff on Borneo that Turin makes it out to be; where's the chocolate?
    Good question. If there's chocolate in Coromandel, Its not exacly obvious.
    Last edited by Delmar; 7th December 2008 at 03:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, Coromandel wears like a straightforward patchouli scent. Wearing Coromandel feels like I am wearing an aroma of patchouli that eventually fades into vanilla. For the money, I'll remain with my favorite patchouli scent, Patchouli Antique by Les Néréides.

Borneo 1834 is a much more rich and complex patchouli-centric scent than Coromandel. I strongly agree with Asha in that Borneo 1834 has a nostalgic feel because it vaguely reminds me of the scents of my youth (child of the 70s.) The presence of camphor and cardamom augment the patchouli in such a way that they add to the complexity and 'mystery' of the scent. I am not a big fan of camphor, but I absolutely love the way camphor blends with the notes in Borneo 1834. Those who have been around me when I have been wearing Borneo 1834 seem to focus on one or two of its many aspects. They have described it as 'spicy', 'chocolate', 'earthy', 'edible', 'amazing.' It's a five-star fragrance for me and my current favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Borneo 1834 best. A great combination of dark chcolate and very fine patchouli blend - a haunting combination that brings out the best in the patchouli.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to note, Turin relates Coromandel to the smell of white chocolate. Maybe not an exact, but an evocative, comparison -- more cocoa butter than chocolate. I could live in Coromandel.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    For me, Coromandel smells like a Guerlain done by Ellena.
    A Guerlain by JCE would be something I would jump at.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Coromandel
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I just at this moment scored a bottle of Borneo 1834 after loving a sample of it. I have never experienced a more sophisticated use of chocolate. I will definitely have to try Coromandel, though, after reading this, but I don't think you can score that one on ebay . When it comes to distribution channels, Chanel is a Prussian perfume house
    Last edited by the_good_life; 14th December 2008 at 06:40 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I just at this moment scored a bottle of Borneo 1834 after loving a sample of it. I have never experienced a more sophisticated use of chocolate. I will definitely have to try Coromandel, though, after reading this, but I don't think you can score that one on ebay . When it comes to distribution channels, Chanel is a Prussian perfume house
    Coromandel is on (US) eBay, but at beyond rip-off prices. Sellers buy the bottles at Chanel boutiques for $190 and mark them up to $270 and more. Even worse are the sellers who sell the free 4ml samples for $45 [nothing pisses me off more than people selling free samples at grotesque profits]. You can always call a Chanel boutique and have them ship to you.

I just bought a bottle of Borneo and can't wait for it to arrive so that I can cross compare. Well, actually I can't wait to wear it.
    Last edited by bbBD; 14th December 2008 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Coromandel is on (US) eBay, but at beyond rip-off prices. Sellers buy the bottles at Chanel boutiques for $190 and mark them up to $270 and more. Even worse are the sellers who sell the free 4ml samples for $45 [nothing pisses me off more than people selling free samples at grotesque profits]. You can always call a Chanel boutique and have them ship to you.

I just bought a bottle of Borneo and can't wait for it to arrive so that I can cross compare. Well, actually I can't wait to wear it.
    A slight correction. I believe the price at the Chanel boutiques in Europe has been 190 euros (not dollars). 190 euros was the price I saw both in Barcelona and Vienna.

Coromandel all the way - not that Borneo's not a great scent - but it's not half as fun to wear, less multifaceted, and sterner.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    A slight correction. I believe the price at the Chanel boutiques in Europe has been 190 euros (not dollars). 190 euros was the price I saw both in Barcelona and Vienna.
    I'm not sure about the price in Europe, but like bbBD said, here in the US the price is $190 US dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

Coromandel, but I don't like it as much as chocolate vanilla scents. I do like patchoulie but not mixed with chocolate.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm not sure about the price in Europe, but like bbBD said, here in the US the price is $190 US dollars.
    Yep, it's $190 here - which is actually cheaper than many designer scents per volume.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chanel Coromandel vs Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 (Battle of Sheldrake's Chocochouli Duo)

Other than the patchouli note, they are different. I have and love both. Borneo is a typical Lutensian. A raw earthy perfume that has patchouli and cocoa but not gourmand sweet cocoa. No moist earth from the ground cocoa. Both are amazing. They compliment each other.

Default Re: Chanel Coromandel vs Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 (Battle of Sheldrake's Chocochouli Duo)

Coromandel

So this brings us back to another thread I posted today: do SL fragrances "belong" to Serge Lutens or to Christopher Sheldrake. Borneo is the typical SL fragrance that always hits you with something unexpected and envelops you with an entire world of images and visions. Coromandel is like most Chanels the perfect transparent veil that never fails to put a smile on your face. For me the Serge Lutens vision is more likely to make me get out my credit card and start punching those numbers.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

Post Thanks / Like

Why bother having to pick. I wouldn't be without both.

Post Thanks / Like

Goddamn I like this poll, but I'm not voting in it! I like them both equally!

Coromandel wins for me since it's so smooth and a bit spicer.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post

These are the differences I see:
    Coromandel: Definitely has Chanel written all over it. More 'sumptuous' with iris and is both sweeter and spicier. Powdery. [EDT]
    Borneo 1834: Camphorous with some minute florals? Drier and simpler, but foodier. It really is patchouli and chocolate and just that, and is good at it too.[EDP]
    Pretty much this...I'd have to give the nod slightly more in favor of Coromandel.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! This is such an old thread... but I'll bite.

Borneo for me. It's raw and sensual and deep and comforting, while still being masculine. I just wish there was more bitter cocoa and less patchouli, but it's still one of my all time favorites!

On me, Coromandel is a bit too powdery and feminine... which I think was the original intention anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Borneo is available anymore. Never seen it in London...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I don't think Borneo is available anymore. Never seen it in London...
    its gone back to being a Paris palais royal exclusive.

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Coromandel by Chanel - Its elegance will shine in the fall and winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I love - and own - both, but Coromandel has the slight edge because it's just so damn smooth. Coromandel is one of the few patchouli-based fragrances that presents patchouli such that you're not broadcasting it to everyone around you. 1834 is about the chocolate/patchouli mix - a great accord in its own right. You can't go wrong with either.
    Agree with this.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're in the USA you can buy Coromandel online at chanel.com.

Fragrancenet.com has Borneo 1834.

I'd go with the Lutens, but I like fragrances that get in-your-face. Coromandel is just too quiet and refined for me, although I concede that it's extremely refined.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    If I had to choose one and only one to own, I think it would be the Coromandel.
    Not!
    The only one I ended up adding to my collection was Borneo 1834.