Code of Conduct

Default So much love for Comme Des Garcons Original ( and none for Baume Au Doge )

It's strange, you know - I can't see myself wearing this a lot, but I've found myself quite fascinated by the fragrance.

The top notes are great - it's a whole spice cupboard. I get cinnamon strongest, but also clove and nutmeg and other spicy notes I can't quite identify, and the whole thing sweetened by a clover honey note.

I also get a weird note I've only ever smelled in Domenico Caraceni. It's sort of like the smell of a new magazine. I attributed it to the cypress-frankincense in DC, but this contains neither of those notes, so color me baffled.

In the heart notes it suddenly turns richly smoky, almost soapy on me. This is one of the few fragrances I've found that has a very distinct middle that isn't noticeable in the top or base.

Sandalwood begins to rise to the fore at this point, gradually taking over and merging with the honey as the smoke vanishes to wherever it came from.

In the base there is a sort of odd bodily quality - not animalic, not body odor, but slightly discordant in a non-vegetative way . Someone described this scent as having a salival quality, and while it's not quite that gross, that's not all thst far off the mark either.

I get the key notes, but mostly this fragrance is a toy-box of notes I can't name.

On the other wrist I had Baume Au Doge. Orange Creamsicle - now with EXTRA MYRRH*. I'll pass.

*My recent myrrh adventure led me to finding the delightful L'Eau Trois. If that's my archetype of using myrrh well, Baume Au Doge is my new archetype for using it badly. Gag.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: So much love for Comme Des Garcons Original ( and none for Baume Au Doge )

Glad to see this getting some love - it's middle notes, as you mentioned, are where it shines. And yes, over applied, it can get very gag-inducing...I've found that only 2 sprays applied as far away from my nose as possible is the best way to apply it.

As far as what notes I'm actually smelling when I wear it - well I've given up trying to name them. It just smells like medicine to me - which is not far off from what the perfumer/designer intended when they created it (to smell 'like a drug'). A fascinating, absurd, dark, surreal medicine.

If you like it, you should also try smelling White (which is basically CdG toned down, with more cinnamon up top and a tart pomegranate note) or the hard-to-find CdG Eau de Cologne (the juice is greenish), which is the same scent as CdG but sheer and refreshing...you can splash it on without fear of medicinal claustrophobia.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: So much love for Comme Des Garcons Original ( and none for Baume Au Doge )

I found it a bit too strong so I diluted it with a vanilla extract that contained some corn syrup. I like my concoction better, but I might be able to wear it lower (one spray), like just above the navel, undiluted. It is an excellent fragrance, no doubt, just too concentrated for some of us !

I liked it, so I sprayed my sample twice in my neck last week. BIG mistake
    Last edited by brianroy; 30th November 2008 at 09:22 PM.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

I've felt sticky all over when I've worn it - not a good thing. An uncomprimising mix of sour and spicy.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 30th November 2008 at 10:11 PM.

Quite the spicy tour de force, eh?

Haven't sampled it yet, but this thread has piqued my interest.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Blog Entries

Has anyone tried the new Comes de garcon frag that they did for H&M yet?

Last night on my second wearing of this it suddenly occurred to me what CdG also reminds me of - Thrills Gum! For those unfamiliar with the brand, their slogan is "Still Tastes Like Soap!"

No, I am not kidding you.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

If you like it, you should also try smelling White (which is basically CdG toned down, with more cinnamon up top and a tart pomegranate note) or the hard-to-find CdG Eau de Cologne (the juice is greenish), which is the same scent as CdG but sheer and refreshing...you can splash it on without fear of medicinal claustrophobia.
    I'll have to check those out - I know The Perfume Shoppe has CdG White, and I'll be visiting Vancouver in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I found it a bit too strong so I diluted it with a vanilla extract that contained some corn syrup. I like my concoction better, but I might be able to wear it lower (one spray), like just above the navel, undiluted. It is an excellent fragrance, no doubt, just too concentrated for some of us !
    Quote Originally Posted by brianroy View Post
    I liked it, so I sprayed my sample twice in my neck last week. BIG mistake
    Interestingly I didn't have too much problems with strength, but then I'm a glutton for spicy scents - I had Fougere Bengale going at full blast on one arm and CdG on the other last night, and was quite enjoying the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Quite the spicy tour de force, eh?
    Definitely one of my favorite spicy fragrances at the moment. Totally unique.

Quote Originally Posted by lightgreen22 View Post
    Mike Perez posted a review a little while ago. I haven't tried it.

Basenotes Institution

I wore this last night (headed to have some drinks with some friends) and I love this stuff. Three sprays (one on myback, and one on each wrist) and in the cooler weather that S. Florida is experiencing now, it really smelled wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by lightgreen22 View Post
    Oh yes, see here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=218618
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle