Code of Conduct

Default Varvatos Vintage versus Burberry London; help me choose!

Hi!

I've recently been hunting for a good wearable warm scent. I've been through about 35 samples of various niche and designer frags recently (not all in this category of course ), and these are the two that have captured my interest for my purposes.

I love Vintage's spiciness, the rhubarb is amazing, and the drydown is sweet, slightly spicy, boozy, warm and smells excellent.

London is a little bit softer and more 'comforting' to my nose, and a little bit more 'fruit and berry' instead of spicy. I love this one as well!

I've also gotten my share of compliments on both.

To be honest, there is very little between them for me in terms of which I prefer. So I'm stuck; I know they're not the same, but I feel they are in the same category for me and I cannot afford both.

If anyone would like to volunteer some opinions on these frags I'd love to hear it. Maybe it will help me finally decide

Jake

*Edit: and if anyone has any recommendations for other frags along these lines I'd be happy to hear them.
    Last edited by Jake S; 1st December 2008 at 12:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Varvatos Vintage versus Burberry London; help me choose!

Varvatos Vintage is an absolute classic.....get it! you won't regret it. I find it infinitely better than London......for longetivity, sillage, and drydown......super classy, very interesting...and very complex with light leather undertones. A one of a kind fragrance.
    Last edited by everso; 1st December 2008 at 01:29 AM.

Having no opinion of my own, I will give you the opinion of Andrewthecologneguy; 327 reviews; This is his review of Vintage Varvatos:
    Well, as most mentioned, pumpkin spice. I say rum raisin cake...but I think you get the idea. It is an excellent fall/holiday fragrance, much along the lines of Burberry London (rectangular bottle with the cloth around it) and especially like Liz Claiborne Spark. The differences between the 3 is very little, but I think Burberry London is the better of this trio.
    Last edited by aeromatic; 1st December 2008 at 02:38 AM.

Burberry London. Its spicier to me. Vintage still had a sweetness that I was not a fan of. London is classic to me
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I do not think they are similar.

London is good, certainly an interesting take on lavender and woods, but it can give me a headache every now and then.
    Vintage is the best of the two. It is a modern fragrance that feels like a classic. Wild evolution and quite affordable.
    Last edited by irish; 1st December 2008 at 01:33 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I would go with Burberry London... No Varvatos fragrance has really grabbed me...

Omg!!! I just got vintage and dood burberry london has nothing on this scent! Get it!! So interestingly put together. Very fitting for the season. Rhubarb leather woods .....amazing. No brainer

I'm going to have to recommend Burberry London, but that's only because I haven't smelled the Varvatos Vintage.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Vintage is forgettable. London is my absolute comfort scent. Today I got to shave my moustache off (because Movember/moustache charity month is over) and I used London Aftershave, and sneaked in a few sprays of the EdT. Simply gorgeous. When I got downstairs, my girlfriend smelled me for a good ten minutes. She also prefers the original Varvatos vastly to the Vintage.

First of all let me say, Vintage and London are comparable because their general smell is somewhat similar. Between the two I prefer "Vintage" without any doubt. Vintage is well crafted sleek scent which has a harmonious composition. Also it is extremely long lasting on my skin.
    All I saw from London was a purposeless composition which reminds me tobaccos which we smoke in n Ghalyun (Hookah). And you know this type of tobacco is generally sweetened heavily more or less by fruits like cherry or similar things. If they had crafted it better and harmonized the notes in a meaningful way, it could have been a great perfume. Further London doesn't last enough on me.
    Last edited by msi_21; 4th December 2008 at 09:43 AM.
    " Human beings are members of a whole,
    In creation of one essence and soul.

If one member is afflicted with pain,
    Other members uneasy will remain.

If you have no sympathy for human pain,
    The name of human you cannot retain."

Saadi (13th Century Persian Poet)

I can't believe all of the love for Vintage over London considering Vintage got mixed reviews while London has decent reviews on this site. Why don't all of you go and write a review to support this fragrance? I shall try this one on the skin soon after avoiding it for a while. I tried the first Varvatos fragrance and it got annoying to me soon after. London is a nice fragrance but wish the top notes didn't fade out so quickly. The initial spray from London out of the bottle is pure heaven. I just wish that smell lasted throughout. If Vintage is truly better than London then that would be amazing. I will definitely test Vintage on the skin in the next week or so and see if it works for me.
    Last edited by Ronin; 4th December 2008 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I can't believe all of the love for Vintage over London considering Vintage got mixed reviews while London has decent reviews on this site. Why don't all of you go and write a review to support this fragrance? I shall try this one on the skin soon after avoiding it for a while. I tried the first Varvatos fragrance and it got annoying to me soon after. London is a nice fragrance but wish the top notes didn't fade out so quickly. The initial spray from London out of the bottle is pure heaven. I just wish that smell lasted throughout. If Vintage is truly better than London then that would be amazing. I will definitely test Vintage on the skin in the next week or so and see if it works for me.
    Me neither. I never see much on Vintage and found it really good but nowhere near London. London is just dear to my heart. It was my wedding fragrance...first full wearing and then wore it through my Italian honeymoon on the Amalfi Coast, Tuscany and Venice. everytime I wear it it reminds me of the smoke from the vines off in the distance in the cold Tuscan air. It is classic and I've never heard a bad thing and have gotten nothing but compliments. Its pure class for Fall and Winter.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blacklibran1 View Post
    Omg!!! I just got vintage and dood burberry london has nothing on this scent! Get it!! So interestingly put together. Very fitting for the season. Rhubarb leather woods .....amazing. No brainer
    haha...that's exactly the same as i felt when i first 'realised' how fantastic this scent is.

it's funny because i tried it about 3 or 4 times at shops...until one time i tried it and it just CLICKED. I think it really is a very complex scent....and it takes time to register. Once it does----it just takes off! brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Me neither. I never see much on Vintage and found it really good but nowhere near London. London is just dear to my heart. It was my wedding fragrance...first full wearing and then wore it through my Italian honeymoon on the Amalfi Coast, Tuscany and Venice. everytime I wear it it reminds me of the smoke from the vines off in the distance in the cold Tuscan air. It is classic and I've never heard a bad thing and have gotten nothing but compliments. Its pure class for Fall and Winter.
    London is definitely great. I bought it last month but sold it immediately to my friend because I was worried that the longevity wasn't that great and wanted to see how it would smell off of him since we hang out all the time. Spraying on fabric should be encouraged with London since the top notes are my favorite but they fade too quickly on the skin. I will give it another chance and will buy a large bottle of London next week along with Brit.
    Last edited by Ronin; 4th December 2008 at 03:10 AM.

Go with the Burberry London

Another recommendation for Burberry London. I think it's great.

On the other hand, neither of the Varvatos frags have done much for me.

London for me. It's classier and has more depth, imo. Longevity on me is great, 2 sprays lasts all day.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I have JV but not the vintage and BL out of the two i prefer JV only because i think it wears better.

Out of the two Burberry lasts MUCH longer than VV on me, strangely. And I get much better sillage from London; Vintage seems to wear very close to my skin.

I really really love both but I am leaning toward London because of its role, I can see wearing Vintage for nights out but I already have frags for that, and London is a great comfort scent.

Smile Re: Varvatos Vintage versus Burberry London; help me choose!

Get Both
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

i have both, and ill have to say i thought i loved vintage at the store so i bought it pretty cheap online and now i kind of regret it. As my wardrobe grows and i want to move into niche fragrances this will be one of the first I will not feel to bad saying goodbye to. Its a "nice" fragrance but i dont find it really superior on any level for spice, leather, or anything in between, i guess if you love rhubarb thats one thing, but sometimes on me this scent gets extremely cloying and is one of the few that can make me nauseous. I feel bad almost that i dont like it more but its just becomming a meh for me, When i had only tried designer frags and not sampled any niche it was great but with the door to the niche world now open to me this one really does not have a place in my wardrobe

london however the fragrance is really good for a niche but i find it fairly fleeting in longevity, so if it lasts on you i could sniff london all day .

london btw was all over the place at my local tj maxx so go get it

3.3 oz with shower gell and balm with bag for 30 bucks not bad

honestly they're both a little heavy for me. But I'd say go with Burberry, simply because I own it, and prefer it, because it feels a little more classy and warm.