Code of Conduct

Default Davidoff Adventure = LdDM + TdH

The title is heresy, right? Well.. read on!

I admit, I only tried one spray (which is still quite detectable a few hours later), but yes, as crazy as it sounds, Adventure is like a mix of TdH (Hermes Terre d'Hermes) + LdDM (Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain) to this nose. It's got the spices and sweetness and a note remeniscent of the tar note of LdDM along with the pepper, Iso E Super (or perhaps it's a lot of some other lifting agent - it reminds me a bit of the lift/warmth found in Timbuktu), and the "lift" and more ethereal nature of TdH.

I'd say it's more like LdDM in overall scent profile but not in "weight" where it's much more like TdH. The chili pepper and sesame in the heart of Adventure share some semblance with the tar note in LdDM and the mineral note in TdH, although there is more sweetness present and it's not as upfront and center as it is in TdH.

There seems to be a large quantity of some synthetic 'lifting agents' present, which does give it a more synthetic feel than LdDM (although I think TdH smells just as if not more synthetic with its huge dose of Iso E Super). I can only think that those who found this scent extremely weak and fleeting are anosmic to whatever lifting agent is comprising a large portion of this fragrance. I have a question for those who find this fleeting - do you also find either TdH or L'Artisan's Timbuktu fleeting (I actually think the chemical present here is the same as in Timbuktu.. it has the same warmth and feel to me.) For the record, I find Timbuktu to be extremely long lasting. It easily lasts all day. So please tell me if you find either TdH or Timbuktu fleeting along with the perceived longevity of Adventure - I'm pretty sure we can find a correlation.

I need to test this one some more, but I really like what I've sniffed so far. I just hope the musk base doesn't overpower everything.. we'll see where it goes from here.

edited to add: I almost didn't try this on at all after hearing so much negative hype about it around here. Despite trying to be open minded, prior to spraying it on I was really expecting to dislike it.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 1st December 2008 at 05:31 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Davidoff Adventure = LdDM + TdH

What's "LdDM"?

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    What's "LdDM"?
    Clue: Tauer

I hope someone else can see the similarities and confirm that I'm not off my rocker. I'll admit the scent seemed quite fleeting at first, but later bloomed and got louder from about the 1-3 hour mark. I've got it on my left arm and a dab of LdDM and Timbuktu (my TdH sample is empty, sadly) on my right arm. Adventure, about 3 hours in, is definitely remeniscent of the LdDM on my right arm, but with the lift of Timbuktu or TdH. The more I sniff them, the more I think I should have compared Adventure to LdDM + Timbuktu, as I think that is more accurate than LdDM + TdH.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Clue: Tauer
    Oh, I've always though it was LAdDM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Oh, I've always though it was LAdDM.
    Well, I figured since L'air is written with an apostrophe I'd treat it as one word. Sorry for any confusion.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it. Adventure went bad for me. The first 2-3 times I tested it I enjoyed it but it was small amounts. Then I got a full wearing and it ruined it for me. I, like you, thought there was more of a TdH vibe to it but in reality there was WAY too much of a powdery/sweet vibe in the full wearing on me and it made me queasy..it stunk. I wanted to wash my body. I'm not sure what it was but it wasn't what I thought.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I hope someone else can see the similarities and confirm that I'm not off my rocker. I'll admit the scent seemed quite fleeting at first, but later bloomed and got louder from about the 1-3 hour mark. I've got it on my left arm and a dab of LdDM and Timbuktu (my TdH sample is empty, sadly) on my right arm. Adventure, about 3 hours in, is definitely remeniscent of the LdDM on my right arm, but with the lift of Timbuktu or TdH. The more I sniff them, the more I think I should have compared Adventure to LdDM + Timbuktu, as I think that is more accurate than LdDM + TdH.
    pass on those magic mushrooms, will ya? need to see what's the trip

i have tested Adventure only once in a mall....and i think i can relate to what your telling, especially LdDM + Timbuktu...coz L'air has this fleeting coolness/white smoke about it which is kinda reminiscent of Timbuktu....however, i need to test adventure one more time now
    Last edited by jenson; 1st December 2008 at 05:46 PM.

I think it's the same chemical as in Timbuktu, which also turns a bit sweet on me. I'm quite sure its the musk in the base, and yes, Adventure, now almost 4 hours in, is starting to get sweeter and a bit more powdery, with hints of the sesame and spice from the heart still present. Of course, LdDM has a sweetness present throughout, and the sweetness in Adventure seems similar although not as smooth and deep. The sweetness in LdDM seems more like real vanilla, while here it's more like some kind of transparent white "with some hints of vanilla" musk.

TC, what kind of longevity and sillage did you get from this? Right now I'm guessing longevity with a proper full wearing would be about 6-8 hours which is just right given my tastes. Also, what kind of longevity and projection do you get from TdH and Timbuktu, if you've tried them?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 1st December 2008 at 05:47 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Morning Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wish Davidoff Adventure reminded me of either L'Air du Désert Marocain or Terre d'Hermès. Adventure is probably one of the weakest designer fragrances I've tried in about 6 months. I envy you that you could smell it at all. It literally blew off my skin in about 20 minutes. Both L'Air du Désert Marocain and Terre d'Hermès last for hours on me.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed what I smelled of Adventure but my girlfriend shot it down immediately after smelling it, so I haven't really revisited it. Hahaha.

About 4.5 hours into it, the musk and sweetness has subdued and a slightly powdery vetiver note is now present. Quite a complex scent, actually.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

ok

I have Davidoff adventure, TdH, and LDDM right here in front of me.
    I do know what you mean.

I think davidoff adventure isn't that bad of a scent, its just a bit boring or shall i say, not complex enough, and i don't know after a few hours it just smells a bit sour.
    Where as, LDDM is more complex then a 100 women with period trapped all together in the same room.

That being said, I do smell the similarity.
    The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.

I do agree that Adventure en TdH share something in common. I think it is the cedar note.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Adventure smells almost exactly like Fierce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    ok

Where as, LDDM is more complex then a 100 women with period trapped all together in the same room.

Touche! Funniest line of the day, bar none. :toppie:

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's the same chemical as in Timbuktu, which also turns a bit sweet on me. I'm quite sure its the musk in the base, and yes, Adventure, now almost 4 hours in, is starting to get sweeter and a bit more powdery, with hints of the sesame and spice from the heart still present. Of course, LdDM has a sweetness present throughout, and the sweetness in Adventure seems similar although not as smooth and deep. The sweetness in LdDM seems more like real vanilla, while here it's more like some kind of transparent white "with some hints of vanilla" musk.

TC, what kind of longevity and sillage did you get from this? Right now I'm guessing longevity with a proper full wearing would be about 6-8 hours which is just right given my tastes. Also, what kind of longevity and projection do you get from TdH and Timbuktu, if you've tried them?
    Sillage on Adventure was good but longevity...luckily..was 4-5 hours.

TdH. One of my favesd that I hated and then loved. Sillage is pretty good and longevity 8 hours or more. Haven't tried Timbuktu but have tried L'Air DM
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Well, the primary drawback to Adventure is the late stage drydown which is a fairly typical white musk aroma with just hints of vetiver. That being said, I could still smell it faintly 12 hours after application.

Honestly, Adventure is one of the most interesting designer scents I've come across in a long time and I'm a bit sad to see people write it off so quickly. The sesame in the heart notes is superb. It walks a fine line between the gourmand qualities of LdDM and the earthy/mineral aspects of TdH, and I think fans of either would enjoy Adventure if they gave it a chance. I'm going to try and score a sample soon so I can give it a few proper wearings. I really feel that's the only way to make up one's mind about any scent.

I'm tempted to pick up a bottle of this though - and at $39 for 100ml at Perfume.com it's hard to resist. IMO it is unquestionably more interesting than Timbuktu. Of course, people's preconceived notions will interfere with their perception of this one. *sigh*
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd December 2008 at 05:45 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I wish Davidoff Adventure reminded me of either L'Air du Désert Marocain or Terre d'Hermès. Adventure is probably one of the weakest designer fragrances I've tried in about 6 months. I envy you that you could smell it at all. It literally blew off my skin in about 20 minutes. Both L'Air du Désert Marocain and Terre d'Hermès last for hours on me.
    It seemed to do this on me too - I tried breathing on the spot where I sprayed and it came back to life so I knew it hadn't vanished entirely. About 45 minutes later, it re-emerged much stronger than before, with the prominent chili pepper/sesame notes, surrounded by a bit of orange from the top and some cedar and other woods. It smells like there's an overdose of some chemical in this one and I'm wondering if it isn't triggering olfactory fatigue quite quickly in many.

Have you tried Timbuktu? What kind of longevity do you get with it?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy... now I need to try this. I haven't tried the Tauer stuff, but the Terre d'Hermes similarity (I used to own and love it) makes me want to test it.

Next time I'm at Macy's, I'll give it a spritz.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

i have both, and i dont think they are similar.... adventure share some fruity-creamy spicy touch... nothing in relation to terre, wich is more into citrus-spicy-mineral way... obviously hermes is better and more complex.

Morning Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Timbuktu? What kind of longevity do you get with it?
    I own a bottle, and get normal longevity out of it (e.g. a few hours). It's one of my favorite L'Artisan Parfumeur fragrances, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I own a bottle, and get normal longevity out of it (e.g. a few hours). It's one of my favorite L'Artisan Parfumeur fragrances, actually.
    Weird, on me it definitely lasts all day (12+ hours).

Well, if you ever get a chance you should give Adventure another spritz, ideally while wearing/testing nothing else. As I said, it took awhile for it to bloom on me.

It still smells nicely on the card 2.5 days later.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by omniray View Post
    i have both, and i dont think they are similar.... adventure share some fruity-creamy spicy touch... nothing in relation to terre, wich is more into citrus-spicy-mineral way... obviously hermes is better and more complex.
    Well yes, I agree that it's not like that TdH in scent, but more like TdH in its heaviness.. or rather, it's sort of 'ethereal lightness.' As mentioned, it's far more like L'Air du Desert Marocain as far as the actual scent goes.

I'm curious as to why you say "obiviously hermes is better and more complex" as if there is some objective scent evaluation metric out there that I'm unaware of.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!