Code of Conduct

Default The 2nd Annual Official Michael Storer Winter Star Test Sample Discussion Thread

Gabrielle Rose and I received our new bottles of Winter Star today!

Has anyone else received theirs? If so, what are your thoughts?

At first I thought Winter Star was not as strong as last year, but the spritz I put on the top of my left hand three seven hours ago is still just chugging right along!

The only change I detect at this point is in the packaging, this year Winter Star comes in a cylindrical rather than a rectangularly shaped bottle.

For reference, this was last year's The Official Michael Storer Test Sample Discussion Thread.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 2nd December 2008 at 03:32 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Default Re: The 2nd Annual Official Michael Storer Winter Star Test Sample Discussion Thread

I am still using my bottle from last year and it's still a thrill every time I wear it. Winter Star really does capture a snowy winter night, not sure how he does it but it's a truly stunning wood. So the packaging is changed? Better or just different?
    Currently wearing: Bluebell by Penhaligon's

Default Re: The 2nd Annual Official Michael Storer Winter Star Test Sample Discussion Thread

How do I get a sample? I pm'd Michael but haven't gotten an answer.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    So the packaging is changed? Better or just different?
    Just different. Round bottles like Anglia Perfumery uses.

Quote Originally Posted by chloefpuff View Post
    How do I get a sample? I pm'd Michael but haven't gotten an answer.
    The contact address on his website seems to be the best way to reach him: sales@michaelstorer.com
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

^
    Thanks, I'll try him that way.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Today, I am comparing vintage (last year) Winter Star to the new Winter Star.

I am glad to report that the temporary loss of the formula does not seem to have affected the fragance in any way! It is a little lighter in color than before but they smell virtually identical to my nose. The bottles hold the same amount although the new bottle is round and shorter.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 4th December 2008 at 02:47 AM.

Ok Just received my winter star and had no idea what to expect my first real blind buy based upon the enthusiasm from basenotes.

I did 1.5 sprays on the back of my hand and rubed my hands together. Not sure if enough or too much for this perfume, so far no one has complained like wow who sprayed cologne.

I loved the top notes. So far it has been about an 1 hour since I sprayed and from what I can tell not much has changed.

How to describe it? It is extremely unique, I really have not smelled anything else like it, definitely unique, nothing like I have ever smelled before.

I am not an expert when it comes to notes, so I will not even begin to guess.

So far for the first hour I will say I LOVE IT!!!!! and is amazing on my skin!

I will update today as it progresses

out of curiosity how many sprays are you doing?

Mine will come in today or tomorrow.

so far I have had it on I guess about 2.5 - 3 hours

from what I can tell and I am no expert at all on describing notes it seems to be a sort of spicy woody type I love the top notes and then sort of changes towards sweet but not very sweet

what i will say is very unique, nothing i have smelled like before at all and I really do like it

I thought it would be super strong in terms of projection based upon some comments but it not as bad as I thought it would be. It is definitely wearable for the office which I am doing now and no one has said anything about who is wearing all the cologne.

well i just got my first compliment from a female coworker who never complimenet me before, she asked what it was and i told her, and she said i never heard of it and my husband has tons of cologne bottles
    Last edited by kelvon; 8th December 2008 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    out of curiosity how many sprays are you doing?
    Last week I compared the new Winter Star with the 'vintage' one.

I used two sprays each (four sprays total) which not only got me through the day and night but, even after a shower, easily overpowered my SotD the following day.

I will use 1 to 1.5 sprays from now on!

I've posted this on the men's side, but saw the link to this one, so here are my thoughts:

I got my bottle yesterday and I'm knocked out by it - it's different to anything I already own. It's spicy, soft, enveloping and... SKANKY!

There's a dirty undertone to it that sets it apart from anything else in my collection.

It smells like sex in a potpourri shop...

It's also VERY strong, so one spray will do it! It lasts a long time, though it recedes into a soft powdery and cosy hum after a couple of hours.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

Long lasting and loud. Skanky, yes, a good description. Got some spice going on, more like, er, cinnamon, and it mellows after say 4 hours. I get a crayon/playdo base out of it

No one else picks up some star anise kind of note? I know it's not listed in the pyramid, but this is what it smells like to my nose.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Blog Entries

I got my bottle in the mail!!! I was so excited and couldn't wait to give it my full body work out. Like I do with all my new frags, I like to try them out for at least 3 days in a row. Yesterday I just sprayed it on by itself. I used my application method. Now I used a genorous amount just to see if 6+ sprays would be tooooo much, cause this is some powerful juice. I didn't get any complaints about it being too strong. As a matter of fact I got 2 compliments. A patient's family member said, "My you are smelling right spiffy tonight." LOL! I thought it was cute. Then this morning before I left to go home, my co-worker told me she really loved my perfume and had to know what it was. She pulled up the website and everything lol. I have to tell you that I worked a 12 hr shift. I sprayed Winter Star on at about 5:55pm and I got my last compliment at about 7:26am. My co-worker was on the phone when I walked in. She said she could smell it when I walked by and it just filled up her office. She did the closed eyes inhale thing too lol. It's like 16hrs later now and Winter Star is still kicking Baby!!!

I tell you one thing. Winter Star is the perfect scent for Christmas. This really smells like Christmas to me. I've said before that this frag has the power of Indian hanky perfumes. I came in my apt this morning and you could smell Winter Star as soon as you opened my door. My bathroom smells amazing right now lol. It's definitely got a spicy thing going on. I still can't get my notes straight. So, I ain't even goin to go there. All I can say is I smells goooooooood lol.

I think today I'm gonna tweak it with my Aveda sandalwood. I think that they will blend beautifully. I tried a little on the back of my hand when I 1st got it. I might try my patchouli, but I think the sandalwood will do better this time. I'm going to use less sprays this time as well to see how that goes. I just got a fresh bottle of baby magic lotion too. It really blended well with Winter Star yesterday.

Michael you are the man!!!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Blog Entries

Thank you, Two Roads, for starting this thread on my Winter Star. It certainly is nice to hear it spoken of so lovingly by all of you.

Some of you who have visited my website know that I just got out of the hospital with spinal surgery. I was worried that I might not be able to keep current with orders but so far so good. As of now I have 3 bottles of Winter Star left, so will have to decide whether to leave it as a seasonal offering or put it in my regular line.

In case you haven't sampled my others, I hope you will do so. One that puzzles me is Yvette, which I think is as fine a fragrance as Winter Star. She sells, but remains somewhat shyly in the wings. I'm not sure if she just hasn't had enough exposure yet or if there's a problem. It certainly is lovely and very unique. I'd like to hear...
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

In a day where we talk about longevity and sillage, how do you manage to get great legs on each? And why do other perfumers not do the same? Seems that a scent that lasts a long time might catch the noses of others and the occassional, "what is that you are wearing"?

Never having smelled this, can anyone say what makes it skanky? Musk skank? Cumin? Indoles? I'm very intrigued by the "snowy winter night" image -- it's snowing like crazy in NYC right now -- but finding it hard to relate that to skanky.

I find this fragrance beautiful, addictive, intoxicating, wonderful.....I was hesitant to try it because I often dislike gourmands--I find the foody note (usually vanilla) takes over, and there's not enough dimension, even in some of the finest gourmands. Alternatively, I find the food and the flowers and resins clash, leaving me feeling like I've dined on pizza and milk (I'm thinking of Covet).

But Winter Star has depth, dimension, personality...and I am almost certain it is magical.The foody, caramely note ( such a nice change from vanilla and the dreaded chocolate)dominates at first, but then it lifts and lives about 6 inches from my skin all day long, while the lavender and musks hug my skin. Amazing. Breathtaking.

I just got my second bottle ( a gift for mys sister if I can part with it) and it has left a delicious, lingering hint of Winter Star in the room.

Chestnut: I always associate "skanky" with civet--but what do I know. I think of Bal a Versailles and l'Air de rien as skanky par excellence.

I don't detect skanky In Winter Star but there is something very, very sexy about the way this fragrance relates to the body and the space around it. The musk is brilliant. Perfect.

Michael, if you are reading this, I'd like to say I hope you are having a comfortable (as comfortable as it can be) recovery.

I also wanted to mention that I LOVE Kadota. But 'tis the season for Winter Star in my climate. Whether you sell it all year seasonally, please keep making it! I will try Yvette as soon as I can tear self away from Winter Star, but we are in those torrid, early days of love, so nothing else distracts me at the moment.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 22nd December 2008 at 10:00 PM.

***"Some of you who have visited my website know that I just got out of the hospital with spinal surgery. I was worried that I might not be able to keep current with orders but so far so good."***

I know this thread is a few years old, but I ran across it recently and wanted to comment on Michael's customer service. I recently ordered a few bottles of Winter Star From him and there was a slight mixup when the bottles arrived. I contacted Michael about the mistake and he quickly corrected the problem. He was very gracious and generous when solving the problem and I have only good things to say about him and his bussiness (not to mention Winter Star - mmmmmm...good stuff).

I included this quote from Michael because it shows the dedication he has to his work and his customers. This is truly a labor of love for him.