Code of Conduct

Default YSL L'Homme: Initial Impressions (+ question about Allure Blanche)

The opening notes are a bit rough for the first 10 seconds, but then settle down and become more harmonious. Ginger, a bit of lemon, and a large dose of tonka bean to sweeten things up. Some may think what I'm about to say is crazy, but y'know what scent this reminds me of? Carlos Santana for Men. Ok, ok, I know they are different, but both have a serious overdose of tonka bean. Santana is just lavender, apple, cinnamon and tonka, while L'Homme is lemon, ginger, and a hint of violet and tonka.. They both share that same sweet smooth texture though, and it is undeniably the result of a heavy dose of tonka.

My question is: I'm looking for a somewhat powdery sweet lemon scent. I like L'Homme but am not sure about it yet. It really seems too similar in texture and 'feel' to Santana to warrant owning both. How does Allure Homme Edition Blanche compare to L'Homme?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd December 2008 at 06:16 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: YSL L'Homme: Initial Impressions (+ question about Allure Blanche)

Allure Homme Edition Blanche has one of the best (sparkling) lime+ tinge of lime peel notes...so intoxicating and mesmerising...towards the mids this is smoothened by a really careful blend of Tonka bean..the intensity of it's smoothness is much higher than L'Homme. it almost treads on the gourmand space, but doesnt. a delicate, master blend which is sure to please...
    Last edited by jenson; 2nd December 2008 at 09:49 AM.

I got Lī Instant 4 days ago (extreme). The lemon opening last close to nothing, I would say after 15 minutes is gone. If you are looking for sweet powdery lemon I don't think L Instant is the answer. After the citrus opening is gone you are left with a long lasting vanilla/cocoa/woody fragrance all with a powdery base and some spices in there that I cannot tell what it is.

Hmm, I've *got* to check it out then. I mean, L'Homme is nice but it really seems like it would cover the same space as Santana or, to a lesser degree, Antidote, in my wardrobe. An almost gourmand like lime/lemon concoction though.. well, I"m short on gourmands and citrus in my 'drobe. I've also heard that Blanche is a bit oriental in its drydown.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Question Re: YSL L'Homme: Initial Impressions (+ question about Allure Blanche)

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I got Lī Instant 4 days ago (extreme). The lemon opening last close to nothing, I would say after 15 minutes is gone. If you are looking for sweet powdery lemon I don't think L Instant is the answer. After the citrus opening is gone you are left with a long lasting vanilla/cocoa/woody fragrance all with a powdery base and some spices in there that I cannot tell what it is.
    Aha, well, do you haev any recommendations?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd December 2008 at 06:28 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I just tried Lemon by Art of Shaving today and I think it's exactly what you're looking for. I really love it, personally.

I really love the way ginger and lemon are done in L'Homme. I've tested Allure Blanche once, and personally, I found the lime terribly synthetic. I must be the only one to actually prefer the Allure Sport over the Edition Blanche.

Since you've said you're looking for a powdery sweet lemon scent, I suggest you look elsewhere.... as neither L'Homme nor Allure Blanche quite fit the bill IMO.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

If you want powdery sweet lemon you could try Dior Homme Sport. Not my cup of tea but it might be what you're after.

To me personally, the first two words that come to mind when I think of Allure Blanche: powder and lemon.

Basenotes Institution

I hate L' Homme and Allure Blanche (and Carlos Santana, for that matter) - to me, they're just so 'boring'.

A classic powdery lemon = Habit Rouge by Guerlain (the Eau de Cologne, NOT the Eau de Toilette).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd December 2008 at 04:46 PM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

The only problem with Allure Blanche is its longevity, which is barely 2 hours on me.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    If you want powdery sweet lemon you could try Dior Homme Sport. Not my cup of tea but it might be what you're after.
    Weird, I don't find it powdery at all, especially compared to how powdery Dior Homme is. Dior Homme Sport is like wearing a mandarin orange with a hint of ginger.

Also, I'm surprised to learn that there's citrus in Allure Homme Blanche. Hunh. Guess I forgot what it smelled like?
    Last edited by dynendal; 2nd December 2008 at 07:43 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    Also, I'm surprised to learn that there's citrus in Allure Homme Blanche. Hunh. Guess I forgot what it smelled it?
    Oh yes - lemon, lemon, lemon is present in the top notes.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Of the 2, Homme Sport definitely lasts longer, however, as far as picking one over the other, I like them both equally. The Homme Sport seems much easier to obtain and is less expensive. Come to think of it, when did that EVER stop me???
    ISO-WTB
    Sample or Partial
    Teo Cabanel-Alahine
    Bois D'Armenie
    Mark Buxton-Wood & Absinthe

My sales thread:

--Bruce Lee
    Jeet Kune Do -"Way of the intercepting fist"

My store- www.AtoZknives.com
    (Knives, sporting & Tactical products GALORE !!)
    Low price LEADER- FAST ship too!

I`ve got Allure Blanche in my weardrobe, and use it very often. It`s cold and hot, fresh and warm.. Very citrusy and crisp in the top, but dryes down to something soft, warm and delicious. Absolutly fantastic scent! A lighter and fresher edition of the original. It is an concentree version, so the longevity (on me) is great! Comparing with YSL L`Homme, it`s like comparing Volkswagen and Mercedez... Allure Blanche is much more luxurious and elegant than L`Homme...In this case, price and quality belongs together!

AHEB is not a bad scent - it's about a half hour of lemon then it turns into the regular allure. It doesn't last long at all on me - maybe 2-2.5 hrs. My French is bad but I think concentree means short-lived as in Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree (short lived but a great scent.)

YSL L'Homme is a safe scent that is great for the office and has a pleasant lemon ginger fragrance and lasts longer on me.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    AHEB is not a bad scent - it's about a half hour of lemon then it turns into the regular allure. It doesn't last long at all on me - maybe 2-2.5 hrs. My French is bad but I think concentree means short-lived as in Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree (short lived but a great scent.)

YSL L'Homme is a safe scent that is great for the office and has a pleasant lemon ginger fragrance and lasts longer on me.
    Nope, it`s opposite.. Concentree means that it`s more concentradet, and it`s better sillage and longevity.. The concentree-version of Pour Monsier has much more sillage and longevity than the original. One of the most long-lasting frags out there! But the original has a better smell
    CHANEL`s concentree-versions are also more expencive than the originals..

Sorry, I was joking about the meaning. I know concentree means concentrated - it's just that both those fragrances last less time then the average fragrance does on me.

Regarding Pour Monsieur, I have both and like them both. The original is a great mossy fragrance everyone should try but it's very fleeting. The concentree is more readily available in the US and has been a favorite of mine since it came out.

Well, as usual there is no clear consensus as to a good powdery lemon (it doesn't actually have to be all that sweet, but just for some of the tartness to be toned down. I don't want a bitter citrus like that in say Versace PH or Iskander).

So, I guess I'll just have to sample sample sample. I plan to work on one of my own, too, with the basic structure being that of lemon and orris.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

in my opinion aheb is superior on every level from longetivity to complexity of scent and then actual scent, so pleasant and great in the winter as no one expects it and it really envelops you. l homme is pleasant still, im gonna admit that.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Well, as usual there is no clear consensus as to a good powdery lemon (it doesn't actually have to be all that sweet, but just for some of the tartness to be toned down. I don't want a bitter citrus like that in say Versace PH or Iskander).

So, I guess I'll just have to sample sample sample. I plan to work on one of my own, too, with the basic structure being that of lemon and orris.

Rochas Moustache should do the trick.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 7th December 2008 at 12:39 AM.

i enjoy the lemon and even the powder undertones in Allure Blanche alot...what i dont enjoy is the fact that 2 hours later i can not smell anything......but it is my favorite use of lemon in a fragrance...

L'homme is safe, pleasant and to my nose has no lemon presence whatsoever.....however it does last much longer than allure blanche and dries down to the tonka roots.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com