Code of Conduct

Default Please advise: Splash ons - a good way to store fragrances...?

i have noticed, some of the classics come in splash-on bottles..like Ungaro I or the Patou ph for eg. is it as secure as a spray bottle in terms of the juice coming in contact with air or when not in use? does it run the risk of loosing it's flavor in the long run...?

please advise...

Default Re: Please advise: Splash ons - a good way to store fragrances...?

prays to lord *make me disappear make me disappear*
    Last edited by jenson; 2nd December 2008 at 01:54 PM.

LOL! Happy reading!

none of the thread actualyl address the question i had, but i get it. it's not safe...better transfer it to a spray decant...
    Last edited by jenson; 2nd December 2008 at 02:13 PM.

You can use a pipette to transfer to a spray bottle. Done and done.

If it comes in a splash bottle, I keep it there. I transfer 5ml or so into a spray atomizer for use so I don't open any of the bottles very often. Until recently, spray bottles came with screw-on atomizers to no ill effect - Serge Lutens bottles still do.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

even the TDC & Profumum comes with screw-on atomizers ....matter of fact the TDC bottles are just a piece of art...every section in it is un-screwable...

i was about to purchase the Ungaro I, 100ml...and since it comes in a splash..i had my reservations on it...hence this thread where i cud take some help from freinds

Beware of UFOs.

Not them flying saucers -- but "unidentified floating objects"

Dust, debris, little flakes of skin, and else.

Apart from the fact that one is constantly exposing splash-ons to the air, and not quite splashing the scent where one wants it to go, splash-ons have a far more serious downside.

That downside is that you had better use them mainly in your bath room. This is because a bit of scent inevitably makes its way down the side of the bottle to its base at some time. It really is no fun seeing the varnish come off your bedroom furniture, for example, leaving the imprint of the base of the bottle on one's dressing table.

That said, transferring the content of splash-ons to one large atomiser, or several times into a smaller one, really isn't a problem.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 2nd December 2008 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks everyone.

i was only worried about the time when it's not in use. if i may re-phrase, are these caps designed in a way that it's absolutely air tight?

Hogwash! Please allow me to be a dissenting voice! I have many splash bottles of cologne and EDT, many of them vintage and even 200ml sizes. There are few things more satisfying than to tip that bottle and splash your scent-of-the-day into one's palm, and then apply wherever you desire. I've been doing this for years with no ill effect. Indeed, when I first joined BN I read some of the posts like Trebor has posted links to, and wondered if perhaps I was all wrong about this. I fumbled my way to acquire pipettes and empty bottles, before awakening one day and realizing my folly! I've been happily splishing and splashing ever since, and I encourage every red-blooded man to do likewise. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and say "Enough's enough!"

Wicozani

Why are so many basenoters so paranoid about their fragrances going off? I've had a few bottles that were stored in less than perfect condition last many years without loss of the integrity of the scent and I know I am not the only one.

If you are really worried about the effects of oxygen on your splash bottles get yourself a large dessicator, add a couple of hundred grams of oxygen scavenger to it, and store your frags in there.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Thanks everyone.

are these caps designed in a way that it's absolutely air tight?
    No.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    Hogwash! Please allow me to be a dissenting voice! I have many splash bottles of cologne and EDT, many of them vintage and even 200ml sizes. There are few things more satisfying than to tip that bottle and splash your scent-of-the-day into one's palm, and then apply wherever you desire. I've been doing this for years with no ill effect. Indeed, when I first joined BN I read some of the posts like Trebor has posted links to, and wondered if perhaps I was all wrong about this. I fumbled my way to acquire pipettes and empty bottles, before awakening one day and realizing my folly! I've been happily splishing and splashing ever since, and I encourage every red-blooded man to do likewise. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and say "Enough's enough!"

Wicozani
    Well said, Jeff! I've traveled the same path, buying atomizers for splash bottles and decanting, but now the liquid in my splash bottles stays there until I'm ready to apply it. When faced with a choice of a fragrance sold in spray or splash, I now choose splash bottles every time.

cheer up surreality

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post

Wicozani
    Satisfying it may well be, but you are not splashing it on. Instead, you are rubbing it on, and consequently wasting all the scent that gets stuck on your hands and around the fingers ( a fairly large area) which goes down the drain when you wash it off.

If you splash from the bottle directly, it may not go exactly where you want, but at least most of it will get stuck somewhere on one's body.
    Renato

I have just purchased 3 flacons of Creed Erolfa, and I made sure to immediately decant them because the stopper didn't seem like it was doing a great job of keeping the juice in. I was able to get several 3.4 oz glass bottles for a good price at a little boutique by where I live. I made sure to use a funnel to transfer the juice. I hope this helps.

well, i should have been more clear in my question....actually, i already have a 10ml spray decant which i have reserved for this splash-on bottle im getting. i also do have an un-used funnel to transfer the juice

...my only concern was whether the splash-on cap fits in air-tight..so that, when not in use, it shouldnt evaporate volatile essenses...

well, i should have been more clear in my question....actually, i already have a 10ml spray decant which i have reserved for this splash-on bottle im getting. i also do have an un-used funnel to transfer the juice

...my only concern was whether the splash-on cap fits in air-tight..so that, when not in use, it shouldnt evaporate volatile essenses...
    As far as I'm concerned, splash-ons will stay sealed properly. I have lots of aftershave splashes and several EDT ones that I've had no problem with. You can lie them on their sides for months and not observe any leakage - that means "sealed" to me.
    Renato

i was about to purchase the Ungaro I, 100ml...and since it comes in a splash..i had my reservations on it...hence this thread where i cud take some help from freinds
    Lets get to the important issue here... Where did you find Ungaro I??

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Lets get to the important issue here... Where did you find Ungaro I??
    Yours truly has some to get rid of

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    ... all the scent that gets stuck on your hands and around the fingers ( a fairly large area) which goes down the drain when you wash it off.

And just what do you have against scented hands, anyway?

a big A$$'ed thnx to everyone for your time!!!