Code of Conduct

Default please introduce me to scents by Guerlain...

this is my second "please help" thread and probably the second Guerlain thread in the run....

I'm relatively new to this house. Having tested Habit Rouge and L'instant in a duty free shop and a mini of Derby, i really have no clue on as to how should i take my first steps. if i may take a step back, i only faintly remember Habit Rouge and to an extent remember L'instant. I think i liked HR and if i remember correctly, it's powdery vanilla based scent with hints of oriental touch...L'instant charmed me with it's dark, bitter sillage...had me intrigued thruout my flight back (i didnt test HR on skin). On Derby, i didnt find anythign new in it..it's a powerful oriental with a very familiar accord....

So, consider me a fresher...how should i explore this house. and yes, i "love" fumidus, JPG FdM with equal ferocity...in other words, i do not mind hard hitting, weird scents..even if that means it's a floral.

if everyone could could suggest "one" scent that i must try from this line, what would that be.......

Thanks Folks!!

Default Re: please introduce me to scents by Guerlain...

I'm going to be the first to say Vetiver then. Vetiver, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Don't get me started...

Mr. G, ill allow "only" you to rate as many as you like! but please, rate tehm in terms of what i should get first...i obviously cannot buy 3-4 at a time...lets not even talk about the bee bottles

LOL - you are great jenson! OK, I'll try to restrict myself

I'm with dynendal that Vetiver is simply gorgeous. It's been with me from the beginning, and it's still somehow my biggest Guerlain love, in terms of loving living together every god damn day if it were.

Was that a boring answer from Mr. G? If I should suggest only one, I'd be Vetiver (I did that to some friends already, with huge succes).

IF you want something REALLY special for a Guerlain beginner, Jicky would be ... quite daring and exotic.

And finally - my third - would of course be Habit Rouge. For a long period, Habit Rouge was my altar, but I don't wear this young, silly lad so much any more. It's still a huge love though and THE very-Guerlain scent for a manly beginner.

All the others are (if you look away from Guerlain's huge floral section) more or less wonderful derivations and new interpretations of these.

Don't be afraid to explore the feminine ones too. Mitsouko is one of my all time favourites and I think you need to experience it for at least half a day on your wrist. Shalimar is a beauty too. I've only tried the current EDT, but the word around here goes that the light verision should be checked out.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    I'm going to be the first to say Vetiver then. Vetiver, definitely.
    Yes.

If you want a nice fragrance that is fresh but also has some depth to it, then Guerlain vetiver by all means. It opens with that classical accord but dries down nicely into a masculine accord if I may say so. Perhaps this is the vetiver with a tinge of tobacco that is speaking here. My second recommendation would be Imperiale if you are more interested in a pure, classical freshness. To me it is a fresh citrus and is perfect in the warmer months. I am no Guerlain expert so perhaps others are more qualified to make suggestions.

I'm wearing a sample of Apres l'Ondee today and it is simply stunning. Like a lot of older feminines (especially from this house) it is entirely wearable by a guy. It does things with white florals that you never knew were possible!

going great so far!!

btw, best site to purchase Guerlains in USA...?

Any of these will get you started on understanding the range and depth of the house:

Jicky and/or Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Apres L'ondee
    Shalimar
    Heritage

For the Eaux, try Imperiale or Eau de Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    going great so far!!

btw, best site to purchase Guerlains in USA...?
    I'll PM you

Basenotes Institution

Try all of them that you can.

I don't think Guerlain does 'weird scents' (try other houses for that), but their particular style of French perfumery is one of the best around.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I'll PM you
    Don't hold out on us, bbBD!

I'm always amazed at how hard it is to find any but the most mainstream Guerlain fragrances online...especially at reasonable prices.

At the very least, please PM any tips on Guerlain purchases online in the US to me, too.

Definately try Jicky and Cologne Du 68

For me it`s L`Instant all the way.. I went back to test Habit Rouge for the second time today, and i`m sorry to say; It reminds me of an old grandmother! I`m so happy that i picked Boucheron Jaipur instead of this one... I know that Vetiver has a big fan-club, but unfortunately for me it`s a bitter pitch/resin smell in it that i just can`t stand!

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    if everyone could could suggest "one" scent that i must try from this line, what would that be.......

Thanks Folks!!
    Mitsouko

Sounds like you're more interested in the more 'modern' fragrances. I disagree with your assessment of L'Habit Rouge, but fully understand it. L'Instant is a beautiful one. See if you can still grab some Coriolan (discontinued), and certainly Guerlain Homme (despite what some people say, it's in my top 5!)

Happy hunting

I couldn't get into the house. I tried the bigger named ones (L'Heure, Mitsouko, Shalimar, etc....) They're great in their own way, but definitely not my style.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 3rd December 2008 at 12:45 AM.

Both of these are in my Top Ten:
    Heritage (an elegant and crisp woody oriental)
    Derby (a green leather chypre suitable for any occasion, please try it again!)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

L'Instant EDP is the one scent in my collection I enjoy the most (and it has over a dozen bottles to compete with (LDDM, GIT, MI, Endymion, Opus 1870, Gucci PH, Tom Ford Oud Wood, a bunch of L'Artisans, Jubilation XXV and Pomegrante Noir) . It's just so delicous and optimistic somehow, never fails to put me in a good mood, whenever I can't decide what to wear for the day, I reach for L'Instant and it always delivers. Homme is great too (I own a bottle) and Heritage is on my immediate "buy" list.

Habit Rouge, while refined and elegant, strikes me as something more suitable for a more mature person and possibly, more formal occasions. Shalimar, while a completely different scent, falls in the same category for me. Cologne du 68 has an overpowering powdery note on my skin and unfortunately is unwearable because of that. I am not a big fan of Vetiver in general so Guerlain's vetiver offering is not of great interest to me at the moment although I do like the opening.
    Last edited by Igor01; 3rd December 2008 at 01:41 AM.

Vetiver is a masculine classic, but I have slowly moved away from this juice from a 17 year old child prodigy and now find other vetivers more appealing.

My choice would be Mouchoir de Monsieur - the perfect blend of citrusy masculine virility and the signature Guerlain accord.
    -

Is Gentleman made by Givenchy or Guerlain?

Quote Originally Posted by lightgreen22 View Post
    Is Gentleman made by Givenchy or Guerlain?
    Givenchy, please see the BN directory: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120690.html

smeller

I'm still to try Jicky, but, being acquainted with Vetiver, Habit Rouge (EDC and EDT) and Shalimar (EDT), I would put Héritage above all of them.

Vetiver and Coriolan are the only ones I felt were compelling from this house. I bought Habit Rouge EDC too, but only because it was going dirt cheap. The other highly rated women's scents are certainly very good feminine scents.
    Renato

Vetiver Sport is my favorite. None of the old folks feel of the original (no carnation, no tobacco)
    Lots more Mandarin and red pepper. It's underrated. But you need to apply heavier than the OG.

L Instant is pretty nice....So romantic!
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------