Code of Conduct

Default Helmut Lang Cuiron - Anything similar?

I have recently got myself a bottle of Helmut Lang Cuiron and absolutely love it!

Now it's obviously discontinued but is there anything that smell very similar? I want something that I can wear regularly that is similar and wear the Cuiron on special occasions lol

Blog Entries

Default Re: Helmut Lang Cuiron - Anything similar?

Cuiron has no equal, IMO.

I don't think it's worth finding 'cheap' alternatives to wear, in place of it...you can still find bottles online, sure they will be a little expensive----but WELL WORTH IT.

Zirh Corduroy is a really POOR version of Cuiron...and dries down into a nasty synthetic vanilla mess!

Jean Luc Amsler Prive is a nice scent, but doesn't have the leather kick that Cuiron has, otherwise has some similarities----although not really close enough.

What happened to the Cuiron re-launch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    What happened to the Cuiron re-launch.
    haven't heard anything! i was quite excited for that relaunch...as i'm sure plenty of others were.

Oh I would love it if it was relaunched!

The bottle I got on eBay was 65 for 50ml so was a bargain, especially as I've seen one website selling the same for 230!

Only had two sprays out of it and already dreading it running out lol!

I may be one of the only people who didn't love Cuiron. Not bad...actually, it was a very nice scent but I expected more pure leather instead of the sweet leather I got from it. It was cloying after a bit.

I didn't find Corduroy anything like it. I thought Courduroy was more of a gourmet
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Move over, Tough Guy, I too find the shrill reek of Cuiron less than appealing. A friend of mine found out I liked colognes and gave me a barely used Cuiron gift set. It didn't exactly ruin the relationship but if he had insisted I wear it it would have.

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    Move over, Tough Guy, I too find the shrill reek of Cuiron less than appealing. A friend of mine found out I liked colognes and gave me a barely used Cuiron gift set. It didn't exactly ruin the relationship but if he had insisted I wear it it would have.
    Well good to see I'm not crazy. I mean its not like some scents that repulse me. I smell it and see why a set of people like it and why there are fans BUT to me it isn't really as leather as people claim. It is cloyingly sweet in a leather way and it doesn't back down from that.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

While I'm not a huge fan of Cuiron, it is a totally distinct fragrance. I've yet to find something similar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I may be one of the only people who didn't love Cuiron. Not bad...actually, it was a very nice scent but I expected more pure leather instead of the sweet leather I got from it. It was cloying after a bit.

I didn't find Corduroy anything like it. I thought Courduroy was more of a gourmet
    i don't find Cuiron very sweet....i find it to be a slightly floral, slightly fruity, slightly musky HEAVY suede and leather scent...it is definitely my holy grail scent. it's the one that pulled me into fragrance collecting.....

i've never heard 'cloying' used with Cuiron before....interesting

Not a cheaper alternative, but to me Courvoisier L'edition Imperiale EDP has the same feel as Helmut Lang Cuiron.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    Not a cheaper alternative, but to me Courvoisier L'edition Imperiale EDP has the same feel as Helmut Lang Cuiron.
    oh that's right! i have heard that before! will have to try that sometime..

try il Profumo's G11

Post Re: Helmut Lang Cuiron - Anything similar?

If one likes a fragrance that much, pay the price, and make it up in another area. Cuiron is damn near a masterpiece of the perfumers art. The combination of Plum, and soft Leather is a stunning combination. Flows flawlessly throughout it's progression.Perfect accords top to bottom. It doesn't get a whole lot better than this.IMHO
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i don't find Cuiron very sweet....i find it to be a slightly floral, slightly fruity, slightly musky HEAVY suede and leather scent...it is definitely my holy grail scent. it's the one that pulled me into fragrance collecting.....

i've never heard 'cloying' used with Cuiron before....interesting
    Sorry the word fit for me as in sweetness so bad it annoys. In my book, fruity and floral is sweet. People just always claim this stuff is this great leather when in reality it isn't to me. Honestly it is more perfume to me. On my skin, on tissue, etc all I could think was my wife would think I smelled like a female and it would give her a headache.

To each of us our own. As I said, I can see a group of people liking it. I just think it is more hype. The stuff did smell natural though and well put together...just not for me...that's what we are here for..exchanging thoughts
    Last edited by ToughCool; 3rd December 2008 at 03:26 AM.
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Sorry the word fit for me as in sweetness so bad it annoys. In my book, fruity and floral is sweet. People just always claim this stuff is this great leather when in reality it isn't to me. Honestly it is more perfume to me. On my skin, on tissue, etc all I could think was my wife would think I smelled like a female and it would give her a headache.

To each of us our own. As I said, I can see a group of people liking it. I just think it is more hype. The stuff did smell natural though and well put together...just not for me...that's what we are here for..exchanging thoughts
    i'm just surprised you don't get leather out of it....that's one of the major things i get out of it. before i think of anything else---i think of soft, refined leather and suede.......but yeah, maybe it is skin reactions......or maybe...just maybe...you had a bad bottle of it?

i don't think it's hype...it really is quite unique. in fact i don't think it gets enough credit! but then again, what would you expect a hopeless fanboy like me to say about it

Quote Originally Posted by Oaksbluff View Post
    try il Profumo's G11
    Exactly! I can confirm this because a very kind Basenoter who knows who he is let me in on G11. It's a very close rendering of Cuiron, and a bit more dense if I recall correctly. Not as much sillage, and not as effervescent smelling, but a really good, albeit expensive, option in a Cuironless world.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I'm strongly in the 'Cuiron is brilliant' camp, but to each their own.

Though not exactly like Cuiron, Parfumerie Generale's Cuir Venenum has a similar accord - leather and orange blossom (instead of plum). It's more intense than Cuiron, but the fruit/leather combo is there.

Hey noirwest - I'll take that gift set off your hand... just PM me and we'll work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i'm just surprised you don't get leather out of it....that's one of the major things i get out of it. before i think of anything else---i think of soft, refined leather and suede.......but yeah, maybe it is skin reactions......or maybe...just maybe...you had a bad bottle of it?

i don't think it's hype...it really is quite unique. in fact i don't think it gets enough credit! but then again, what would you expect a hopeless fanboy like me to say about it
    I think you missed it. I get leather..it is there. Just from all that I had read it was more a leather chair not a sweet and floral leather. It smelled like perfume to me. Sorry, it was a good bottle. You also missed where I said I can see where people like it and it is a well put together scent. But it isn't my style. A scent can be well put together and not be liked by all. That is the point of being here. I just find this overrated just like I find many Creeds and other ones where people jump on the bandwagon. Just my taste.....and my wife would lose her mind. I tried it multiple times, couldn't get over the overwhelming floral/sweetness or whatever and that was that.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 3rd December 2008 at 04:04 AM.
    --Ben Hogan

Is Cuiron being re-introduced or is this just a terrible tease of a rumor?

For me I just love the Leather smell and how it lasts FOREVER on me! I put it on at 7 this morning and it's still going strong nearly 11 hours later! But then I also seem to be quite lucky in that everything lasts a long time on my skin, even notoriously short loved scents!

Now all I need to get is a bottle of Helmut Lang EdP and I'll be happy (already have the EdC - can you tell that i like Helmut Lang...)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tuffpup29 View Post
    For me I just love the Leather smell and how it lasts FOREVER on me! I put it on at 7 this morning and it's still going strong nearly 11 hours later! But then I also seem to be quite lucky in that everything lasts a long time on my skin, even notoriously short loved scents!

Now all I need to get is a bottle of Helmut Lang EdP and I'll be happy (already have the EdC - can you tell that i like Helmut Lang...)
    the EDP is great, get it! I have tons of anything HL