Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Salvador Dali PH, similarity with Zino

Some of the reviewers have said that Zino and Salvador Dali PH are similar. I have checked the pyramid on both the fragrances and they have many notes in common. I have Zino and love it and I was going to get Salvador Dali PH, but I don't want to have two scents which are too similar. Are they really close, and is it good to have both?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Salvador Dali PH, similarity with Zino

Well, they're both strong masculine scents which are right there next to each other in the H&R Chart in the ambery fougere column. I've always been quite taken by Salvador Dali and have two bottles. I tried Zino several times last year in Europe, thought it was okay, but it didn't grab me enough to want to buy it.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have not tried Zino. Just wanted to comment that Salvador Dali PH is strong but, very pleasant and long lasting. I think Savador Dali PH is well worth having regardless of how close it may be to Zino.

Post Thanks / Like

I see the similarities between the two more like the consequence of a common era than an attempt of imitation. Salvador Dali is the quintessential Black fragrance. SD is, when compared with today's standards, a statement of power and certain toughness. Zino Davidoff is much more subtle, smooth and elegant (keep in mind I am talking 80s kind of subtle).
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

I own Zino and have tried Salvador Dali PH, and as far as I remember they are pretty similar. But on the other hand they are completely different in feel.

Zino is all about elegance and class, while SD is much more goth. I donīt know if a transformation to rose fragrances are to any help, but if Zino is Penhaligonīs Hammam Bouquet then SD is Czech & Speake No88.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Zino is sweeter, more elegant and refined. Salvador Dali is harsher, more aldehyde-prominent and slightly 'rougher' in texture.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I had both at a certain point in time and I got rid of both. Zino has some sweetnes and powder to it, whic is nonexisten in SD pH. I would say that go with Zino for I find SD pH unwearable.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Nothing alike...Zino is a sweet masculine patchouli laden treasure...SDPH is a arid, woody and musky concoction with the only sweetness being the little bit of rose you smell...(imagine Paco ph meeting Czech and Speake No. 88 for an evening out and you got SDPH)

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, I just got this in the mail after reading all of the scary reviews of it, and I LOVE it! It's like the love child of Zino and Kouros. Why isn't this a huge basenotes favorite?

Post Thanks / Like

The both have the same long-lasting, manly and extroverted powerhouse feeling.

I decided to stay clear of Dali PH after reading one particular review about this scent being only suitable for Dracula or something like that.... this remark still haunts me. lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xmen View Post
    I decided to stay clear of Dali PH after reading one particular review about this scent being only suitable for Dracula or something like that.... this remark still haunts me. lol.
    Those sorts of comments scared me off for a while, too, but I can't imagine that anyone who is a fan of the two I mentioned, not liking this one as well.

I like Zino so I think I'll give Dali PH a try. Albeit in the smallest bottle I can find.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I just bought a bottle of Dali PH. Been eyeing it for a while now. Don't detect much siliarities with Zino which is a masterpiece IMHO. Zino smells like wet fallen leaves in mud where Dali PH smells like rotten leaves and flowers left after a Black Mass in the forest.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Zino is sweeter, more elegant and refined. Salvador Dali is harsher, more aldehyde-prominent and slightly 'rougher' in texture.
    What he said.

- Al

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    What he said.

- Al
    What they both said.
    I love Jasmine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Salvador Dali PH, similarity with Zino

I have Salvador Dali and very mucy like it. Sometimes it seems hard to find but, worth it. It isn't very expensive when purchased online. I would advise you to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    OMG, I just got this in the mail after reading all of the scary reviews of it, and I LOVE it! It's like the love child of Zino and Kouros. Why isn't this a huge basenotes favorite?
    It's great, isn't it!

Salvador Dali PH is really daring and bold, even a bit of a stylistic throwback-- but it really commands attention. It's almost so eerie, brooding and dark that it's reassuring. I get a real David Lynch/Twin Peaks feeling when I wear Salvador Dali PH-- it even makes me think of something that would have been in style back when that show came out. It's very satisfying. Some people wince when they smell it from the bottle, but I think it's easier to wear than most would expect.

Post Thanks / Like

Salvador Dali Pour Homme is a stretch for me, in the same way that other masculine florals with lots of other stuff are a stretch. I suppose both of these are with Third Man in the broad category of floral fougeres? Really interesting, though--I go around sniffing my arm all day when I wear it. Sort of like how certain music is wonderful if you can listen to it without distraction, and pure cacophony if you can't.
    But Zino I find very easy to like: muscular and graceful. And since Slumdog Millionaire we all know that it's named after the third musketeer. Is this a perfumer's pun on Third Man?