Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Perfume the Guide - new update

But it´s not free

I only read the ratings and not the reviews but I´m surprised and happy to see that Be Never is getting good ratings, i just wished I could read the reviews to see whether anything is said about their ´all natural appearance´ because I bet it is not an all natural perfume ( not for that price anyway..right?)

Anybody here who bought the update, is it a must have..or a bit meh?
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Perfume the Guide - new update

I'd like to hear opinions as well as I have not yet bought the update.

the US version is $9.99 and includes 129 new fragrances

Russian translation next week and German the week after that.

I'm still in the A's and am intrigued enough to try Acqua di Parma's Profumo which I remember someone here wearing and admiring greatly. 4 stars from TS

http://www.perfumestheguide.com/

I'll gives this to me for my St. Nicholas Day (Dec. 6) stocking .
    Most interesting for me:
    4 stars for the Tauer incenses, only 2 vor Vetiver Dance and Ormonde's Zizan (5 for Chanel Sycomore - "smoky vetiver")
    only 1 star for Love in Black (I hated it, too)
    Thumbs down on Prada's masculine Iris ("cheap") and up for Iris Pallida (blueberry pepper).
    Byredo gets straight 3s, lots of 4 stars for Donna Karan & Parfumerie Generale.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 3rd December 2008 at 02:11 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

And again no Montale in there, I know some people expected to see it finally.

My curiosity is piqued
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Just got it... noticed that they finally got around to reviewing my beloved Cuir Venenum and gave it 4 stars! Too bad on the 2 stars for Infusion d'Homme, though.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Perfume Guide Winter Update available

The first installment was free - from now on they will be $9.99

Here is the link

Here's the text of the release:

The Winter 2008 newsletter is now online and ready for download! Despite assurances from several readers that the proper cost was roughly the price of a perfume, LT & TS have settled on what they hope is the entirely reasonable amount of $9.99 for 129 new reviews, including two five-star fragrances and the latest from the Beckhams, Kylie Minogue, and Kate Moss, who are busy proving wrong the authors' assertion that celebrity fragrances are usually as good as average. The newsletter also includes the authors' top ten favorite new releases of the hundreds tested this year.

The vendor handling the payment and file download is Kagi, which allows you to pay with credit card or PayPal.

Russian translation to come next week, and German translation the week following.

Those who would rather wait for the next book edition, the paperback, with around 300 new reviews selected from the newsletters, will be published in the US in Fall 2009. Be aware also that the current hardcover may be the last edition in that format; future book editions will most likely be paperback.

Thank you for all who have written to express your enthusiasm for the guide.

Default Re: Perfume Guide Winter Update available

Waiting for someone here to post or PM

Sorry, 129 short reviews from a couple of snobs who like to call themselves experts aren't worth $5, let alone $10

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    Waiting for someone here to post or PM

Sorry, 129 short reviews from a couple of snobs who like to call themselves experts aren't worth $5, let alone $10
    Sorry - I didn't see another thread, so now there's two. Life goes on.

They've got my $10 - there's a lot more then just reviews in the guide and updates, and even when I don't agree I've obtained countless ideas about different things to try, which leads to other things, etc. They're certainly more experts than I am, and know more about the industry.

Maybe they'll try Parfumerie Generale one of these updates.

Not to beat the deadest of Basenotes horses, but this is really unfair to Turin and Sanchez.

Luca Turin is an expert, by any reasonable definition. And reviewing is about drawing distinctions between what one values and what one doesn't value. That's not snobbery.

All of which is not to say that Turin's expertise makes him right about the qualities of particular fragrances or that you need to value what he has to say about perfumes...let alone whether the $10 price tag for the update is reasonable.

But even if this update seems like a waste of money to you, there's no need to insult Luca Turin or to essentially dismiss the very idea of reviewing perfume!

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    Not to beat the deadest of Basenotes horses, but this is really unfair to Turin and Sanchez.

Luca Turin is an expert, by any reasonable definition. And reviewing is about drawing distinctions between what one values and what one doesn't value. That's not snobbery.
    Think of it this way - these are two of the 3-4 people on the globe who have made a living writing about fragrances. That says something about their level of sophistication.

All of which is not to say that Turin's expertise makes him right about the qualities of particular fragrances or that you need to value what he has to say about perfumes...let alone whether the $10 price tag for the update is reasonable.

But even if this update seems like a waste of money to you, there's no need to insult Luca Turin or to essentially dismiss the very idea of reviewing perfume!
    Sorry, I beg to differ. First I have to argue, what is expertise in perfumery? No nose is the same, so when you go around spouting 2 word reviews on some of the best creations I have seen, than no you are by no mean's an expert. If you want to pay for nothing but a random opinion, then this is it.
    Last edited by s0me0nesmind1; 3rd December 2008 at 03:07 PM.

Sorry, I beg to differ. First I have to argue, what is expertise in perfumery? No nose is the same, so when you go around spouting 2 word reviews on some of the best creations I have seen, than no you are by no mean's an expert. If you want to pay for nothing but a random opinion, then this is it.
    For the sake of argument, this is an incredibly uninformed viewpoint, and this is why:

Of course the reviews are opinions - all reviews of books, movies, art, etc. are opinions. What is 'expertise' in any art? Expertise in perfumery is what it is in any field - experience. I'll trust someone who's been writing about the fragrance industry for years over someone who hasn't. They are not 'random' opinions, but that of established critics. Anonymous reviews on BN are 'random' opinions.

If there wasn't something in the Guide reviews that rang true to many people, no one would have bought the Guide and the updates wouldn't have been commercially viable. This further demonstrates that the reviews are not 'random' opinions by people with no expertise. If you or I released such a book, it would not be successful because neither you or I have industry experience, experienced opinions, or the writing skills necessary to draft such a work.

Plus, there are lots of ideas to be derived from the reviews and other info contained that give value beyond just the ratings. I've found a number of fragrances I love based on info in the guides, including fragrances that don't have the highest ratings. To not want to buy the guide is one thing, to discount the value of such a product and have a chip on your shoulder against it is either bizarre or naive.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post

Maybe they'll try Parfumerie Generale one of these updates.
    Aomassai got four stars, Cadjmere three. Hmmm, interesting.
    Last edited by Delmar; 3rd December 2008 at 04:47 PM.

I'm disappointed on the new price tag, but I'll pay it. In the long run it may save me some cash, but more likely it will get me to spend more.
    There are certain critics I trust for food, theater, film and now, fragrance information.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 3rd December 2008 at 08:16 PM.

Perused the book at Borders but never bought it. The reviews in this new Guide just don't interest me the way they used to. Some are too snippety and snarky by half, some are half hearted and the few that are detailed and interesting are fewer and farther between than his earlier work. Won't be buying this either.

And I get a better idea of what I like by reading Basenotes reviews of people with similar tastes.

Have they still not reviewed the Comme des Garcons line? I don't have the book with me, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't reviewed there, and it isn't in either of the newsletters.

It seems like an awfully big oversight. I know it isn't a mainstream line, but neither are lines like Etat Libre d'Orange or Be Never to Busy to Be Beautiful (at least they aren't where I live), and they are being reviewed, and CdG seems really popular among perfumistas. I'm just curious to know what they think.

When will the updates be incorportated in the infamous Excel sheet?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

If, like me, you read LT/TS reviews as much for the entertainment value as for the analytical reference, then it's probably worth the measly ten bucks. We've all paid more for less.

Sycomore got 5 stars.
    Nice reviews. I am glad I paid the $$.

He reviewed the PG Yuzu and the Perfumes d'Empire Yuzu, both got 4 stars.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    When will the updates be incorportated in the infamous Excel sheet?
    The Excel sheet is already updated and available from the Guide website
    Here it is
    Last edited by nenugal; 3rd December 2008 at 06:30 PM.
    I love cologne.

I'm glad they finally came around reviewing Noir de Noir. It was the only TF Private Blend they missed out on in the book. It's one of my favorites and happy to see they gave it a 4 star rating. Rose Chocolate, yummy!
    Last edited by nsamadi; 3rd December 2008 at 06:50 PM.

I pay to read stuff all the time.

I guess it's clear this thread is to let people know who'd be interested. Clearly the Turin/Sanchez works aren't for everyone.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

The only thing I would say , is that if you dont want to read it , then dont buy it , not difficult really

Blog Entries

hey dustb, is there any way that i can START a thread which requires a $10 payment to read? i'll make it good i promise!

pay-for-reviews is kind of a controversial idea...but i can see how people would pay to read the PDF...however, cool people (i'm looking at bbBD) would cut and paste it for their friends for free

doesn't the original book cost like $20 or something? $10 sounds a bit steep! but oh well....for the rich amongst the crowd
    Last edited by everso; 3rd December 2008 at 07:08 PM.

This is interesting, I may go check this out...

I am OVER THE MOON today because I told our press guys to send in the B Never perfumes to The Guide, they did - and resulting reviews are fun, entertaining and generally favourable. Breath of God gets 5 stars (only 2 out of 129 reviewed frags got 5) and the Superworldunknown perfume review is hilariously slating about the packaging, but completely on the money about how the B perfumery works: the money goes into the juice.

(P.S. Lian, the B perfumes as well as all the product scents are created predominantly with natural materials that are sourced by Simon and his team. They do use basic synthetic materials, but don't overdose on them. Because everything is done in-house, they don't have to work to an impossible brief & budget. These kinds of perfumes have more in common with classic Guerlain than with new mainstream).

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    hey dustb, is there any way that i can START a thread which requires a $10 payment to read? i'll make it good i promise!
    I like ya a lot, bro, but I think I'd rather have ten bucks in my pocket than a thread of pictures of you without any clothes.
    Last edited by DustB; 3rd December 2008 at 07:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I like ya a lot, bro, but I think I'd rather have ten bucks in my pocket than a thread of pictures of you without any clothes.
    LMAO! how did you know about my idea!?

Quote Originally Posted by kaye dawn View Post
    Have they still not reviewed the Comme des Garcons line? I don't have the book with me, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't reviewed there, and it isn't in either of the newsletters.

It seems like an awfully big oversight. I know it isn't a mainstream line, but neither are lines like Etat Libre d'Orange or Be Never to Busy to Be Beautiful (at least they aren't where I live), and they are being reviewed, and CdG seems really popular among perfumistas. I'm just curious to know what they think.
    These are the CdGs they've reviewed:

Play Comme des Garcons 2 woody marine LT 287
    Odeur 53 Comme des Garcons 3 woody soapy LT 266
    Palisander Comme des Garcons 3 boozy wood TS 278
    Patchouli Comme des Garcons 3 spicy patchouli LT 283
    Bijou Comme des Garcons 4 fresh woody LT/TS 95
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man Comme des Garcons 4 candle smoke LT 128
    Comme des Garcons 2 Woman Comme des Garcons 4 woody rose LT 128
    Comme des Garcons 3 Comme des Garcons 4 woody floral LT 128 X
    Odeur 71 Comme des Garcons 4 woody metallic LT 267
    Stephen Jones Comme des Garcons 4 aldehydic poblano TS W08-13 $$$
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by nenugal View Post
    Here it is
    Super duper! Thanks!

The first installment was free - from now on they will be $9.99
    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I'll pass on both counts, thankyouverymuch!

TS & LT, I'll keep my tenner and put it towards a few new samples thanksverymuch!
    *waves hand at imaginary fly*

Well, having read almost all of the guide book and having skimmed over the first (free) update, I'll also hold on to the $10. What I need to know about frags before deciding to make a purchase is just not included in the reviews. Basically, I need a note pyramid that's accurate and I need to know which, if any notes are presented prominently, at the very least. For example, too much lavender and I'm out, but Carven Homme has lavender in its pyramid. If I read a review that said the lavender does not persist into the drydown, as is common in men's frags, that would be crucial information for me. As things are, without any guide like the kind I seek available, I went ahead and blind bought it and got lucky. So, I just try to get this kind of information from BNers, though sometimes another site is helpful also.

Oops! Duplicate post. Ignore this.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 4th December 2008 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post

(P.S. Lian, the B perfumes as well as all the product scents are created predominantly with natural materials that are sourced by Simon and his team. They do use basic synthetic materials, but don't overdose on them. Because everything is done in-house, they don't have to work to an impossible brief & budget. These kinds of perfumes have more in common with classic Guerlain than with new mainstream).
    I have tried some of their perfumes and I still own cocktail and breath of god, but they do try to create the image of 100% natural but with oakmoss mentioned as a note you know for a fact it simply is not natural since it's illegal to use without big warning allergy stickers.

I'm very suspicious they are as natural as many people think, while I do believe some of their oils and ingredients are I think many of them simply are not, to keep the costs down. Their perfumes are not that expensive and maybe they don't make insane profits on them as designer scents bt other organic or natural perfumes are a lot more expensive because their ingredients are pricey.

So in short, the price makes me wonder how much is natural and if it's not entirely natural they should make a greater effort to explain this.

I would agree on them having more in common with old Guerlain because they make strange and interesting perfumes and don't seem to follow trends.

I'll get it for fun reading. I agree with Bigsly that their reviews frequently - not always - omit key information about a fragrance, like a dominant ingredient. That belongs in a serious review and I wish they would abide by a standardized core format with key information, which they can add anecdotes, autobiographies or one-liners to as they please.

They're on the money for Zizan - it's a godawful "chemical wood" worthy of dunhill or boss. Two stars is gracious.
    My Wardrobe

What is 'expertise' in any art? Expertise in perfumery is what it is in any field - experience.
    I've seen 400 movies and compared them to others, I am therefore an expert movie critic . Experience means nothing.
    Last edited by s0me0nesmind1; 3rd December 2008 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I'll get it for fun reading. I agree with Bigsly that their reviews frequently - not always - omit key information about a fragrance, like a dominant ingredient. That belongs in a serious review and I wish they would abide by a standardized core format with key information, which they can add anecdotes, autobiographies or one-liners to as they please.
    Yes, the review in The Guide of Caron's Third Man, waxing poetic about a beautiful boy, is rather worthless. I also agree that including a note pyramid would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    These are the CdGs they've reviewed:

Play Comme des Garcons 2 woody marine LT 287
    Odeur 53 Comme des Garcons 3 woody soapy LT 266
    Palisander Comme des Garcons 3 boozy wood TS 278
    Patchouli Comme des Garcons 3 spicy patchouli LT 283
    Bijou Comme des Garcons 4 fresh woody LT/TS 95
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man Comme des Garcons 4 candle smoke LT 128
    Comme des Garcons 2 Woman Comme des Garcons 4 woody rose LT 128
    Comme des Garcons 3 Comme des Garcons 4 woody floral LT 128 X
    Odeur 71 Comme des Garcons 4 woody metallic LT 267
    Stephen Jones Comme des Garcons 4 aldehydic poblano TS W08-13 $$$
    Thanks for this! I think when I got the book, I had been expecting reviews of all of the CdG series, Incense, Red, Synthetic, etc., that I forgot that they actually did touch on some of the CdG frags.

I still hope they review the various series in the future.

I've seen 400 movies and compared them to others, I am therefore an expert movie critic . Experience means nothing.
    Well you certainly know more about movies than someone who has seen only ten films.

But you're not an expert critic because you, apparently, have no experience producing movie criticism.

Experience is vital...the question is what is the relevant experience?

Luca Turin has vast scientific knowledge of scent and perfumery. Does that not count for something?

Post Re: Perfume Guide Winter Update available

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Sycomore got 5 stars.
    Nice reviews. I am glad I paid the $$.

He reviewed the PG Yuzu and the Perfumes d'Empire Yuzu, both got 4 stars.
    Did you have to read that he liked the fragrance before you decided that you liked it?
    I'm just curious.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

The few words he had for Paris Hilton's line was worthy of a chuckle:

Can Can Paris Hilton 1 remedial candyfloss
    Heiress Paris Hilton 1 fruity floral
    Just Me Paris Hilton 1 barf-bag floral
    Just Me for Men Paris Hilton 1 sad sack
    Paris Hilton Paris Hilton 1 silly floral
    Last edited by s0me0nesmind1; 3rd December 2008 at 09:19 PM.

Well you certainly know more about movies than someone who has seen only ten films.

But you're not an expert critic because you, apparently, have no experience producing movie criticism.
    I talk amongst friends and family giving valid critiques of what was good and bad, I just didn't write them down...

Honestly, I love reading reviews, no matter whom they are from. It gives perspective on other views. But I won't spend $10 on what will add up to a bathroom read..
    Last edited by ToughCool; 3rd December 2008 at 09:37 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Gentlemen, may I say again that if you're not interested in the product that is this review amendment then it's just not for you. The thread's subject is isn't for you. No big deal. I think members have made their points here and any readers of the thread can make up their own minds based on the points posters have made. There's no need to begin repeating arguments ad Off Topicum.

Thank you all,
    --Chris

Wait....

Guerlain Homme *and* Dior Homme Sport both get 4 stars in the update? I can imagine you like the former, but Dior Homme Sport? I mean, DIOR HOMME SPORT?

Quote Originally Posted by nenugal View Post
    Here it is
    Thanks so much. That is awesome!!
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

What really bugged me is that the friggin Kagi payment service actually charged me 19% VAT - for a bloody pdf file? I've bought mp3s at US sites and never had to pay that?! German customs doesn't charge that for anything under €25 value. They're getting a complaint about that from me.
    My Wardrobe

Having skimmed through the update, my only comment/question is whether they've tightened up the definition of what is a 5-star. 2 of 129 seems be a low ratio - but I'll agree that Chanel Sycomore is deserving of the rating.

I stand by my theory that feeling compelled to move an actively discussed thread with minimal arguing and legitimate discussion demonstrates, at a minimum, obsessive compulsive disorder and quite possibly mental illness at worst. I'm sure some people have elaborate organization systems for their bottles, and moving a thread that's not experiencing any 'issues' is the equivalent of imposing your organization system on someone else.

Male fragrances were being discussed, thus it fit within the purview of the 'male fragrance board'. I guess someone's OCD was acting up.

bbBD, be nice or ye shall incur the wrath of the Gods!

[offtopic]

I'll stick my hand up--- though I merged two threads, rather than move one (though a side effect of moving)

I personally think that merging two threads that were started at the same time, discussing the same thing, is more beneficial than leaving them separate. All the information and thoughts are in the same place.

[/offtopic]

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I have tried some of their perfumes and I still own cocktail and breath of god, but they do try to create the image of 100% natural but with oakmoss mentioned as a note you know for a fact it simply is not natural since it's illegal to use without big warning allergy stickers.

I'm very suspicious they are as natural as many people think, while I do believe some of their oils and ingredients are I think many of them simply are not, to keep the costs down. Their perfumes are not that expensive and maybe they don't make insane profits on them as designer scents bt other organic or natural perfumes are a lot more expensive because their ingredients are pricey.

So in short, the price makes me wonder how much is natural and if it's not entirely natural they should make a greater effort to explain this.

I would agree on them having more in common with old Guerlain because they make strange and interesting perfumes and don't seem to follow trends.
    The answer to your concerns is this: the other perfume houses who charge arm and a leg are probably marking up their product to the tune of 100 to up to a 1000% I used to work for a fragrance distributor and sat in meetings where we were deciding prices for the UK market. It's the "if it's not expensive, it won't sell" rule (which, funnily enough, your suspicions kind of prove ).

No, with Simon and Mark, they really do put in stuff that costs eyewatering amounts and Simon travels the world to source the stuff more or less himself - there's a whole ethical buying team he's in charge of, but he's a bugger to get hold of because he's usually in some remote part of the world on his travels. Obviously B is a business so they want to make profit, so clearly there is a mark-up otherwise they'd not be in business. But they're mostly in the business to make something worth buying; not to try to get the biggest possible profit. As far as I'm aware, none of the marketing from B has ever implied that the perfumes are 100% natural, but I know that Mark and Simon admire natural perfumers and have created several all-natural product scents. As I said before, they do have a modest synthetic palette and use it freely, but a large part of the final formula is made up of natural oils, resins and absolutes.

In Lush, there are a few products sold that actually fail to make any profit because they've made such an expensive perfume for them that they don't make any money out of it. It kind of happened with my first product for them too - had to cheapen the formula before it went to production because it was just too pricey! There is no other company out there who puts the stuff they do into bath products and charges what they charge.
    Last edited by Nukapai; 3rd December 2008 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks for the link to the Excel sheet, I hadn't planned on buying the guide, but after seeing the contents, I think I will.

I'm shocked Molecule 01 got a 3. That stuff is pure ISO E Super, isn't it?

P.S. I love The Guide and the updates not as tools to do shopping with, but for sheer, delightful entertainment purposes. I'm a perfume geek. They're geek humour. It's brilliant! I'd easily pay £6.50 to go to the cinema in London. So completely worth the money from my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Insider Be Never talk.
    Well I'm surprised to hear that it seems Be Never actually does what it proclaims to do Although I think that the all natural image comes from being affiliated with lush very heavily and it is part of their image to come across strongly as a natural option, environmentally friendly etc.

I think if Be Never would want to be honest they should list it in their notes which part of the fragrance is synthetic and what isnt and explain why.

The price thing comes from knowing other companies have a bih mark up while they use cheap ingredients and if BeNever uses natural ingredients when possible yet the prices aren't extreme it makes you wonder if they actually make less profit..and well other companies would not accept the option of ' less profit' . I am a cynic but it's nice to be proven wrong.

For me the Guide is fun to read, sometimes you learn bits, but it's a great start for a discussion on perfume related topics.

And I'm not surprised Breath of Gof got 5 stars, inhale and exhale did very well in the previous edition. And come on, Be Never does make pretty interesting scents for not a crazy amount of money..but it's a pain to get if you live in the States I gather.

PS You have to tell me what you made for them!

PS PS I got myself Bling Bling for Christmas and im trying to get samples of their new perfume superworldunknown, it sounds right up my alley.