Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Guerlain Heritage - EDT vs EDP

I would like to pick up a bottle of Heritage to complement my growing affection for the house and it seems I have a choice between the EDT and EDP. I can get the 3.4 oz bottle of EDT locally at very little cost (i have a $50 gift certificate for Sears which carries the EDT) or get the 2.5 oz bottle of EDP online at a significant cost due to very weak Canadian dollar, international shipping, Canadian taxes etc., the total for the EDP will likely be Cad $100, the total for EDT will probably be less than ~Cad $20.

I haven't smelled the EDP, and would like to hear comments of those who had experience with both on whether it's worth the extra money. On the first glance it looks like a no-brainer - get the cheaper one, but please consider the fact that the $50 gift certificate can be spent on anything in Sears, not just fragrance, so in essence I am still paying the full price for EDT.

Also, if anybody knows of a cheaper source (less than US $70) I would appreciate the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Guerlain Heritage - EDT vs EDP

As an avid wearer of both the EDT and EDP, and given your circumstances, I would advise you to get the EDT at Sears.

I guess the question I would ask myself if I were you would be: “Is there anything else I want at Sears that would trump the Heritage, like kitchen stuff, tools, etc.?” If you would answer “no” to that (and as a basenoter, I think you would ), then definitely pull the trigger on the EDT.

I find the EDT immensely satisfying; maybe even a bit more than the EDP because of its bracing topnotes and overall more “dynamic” feel. It’s extremely multi-layered and evolving. The EDP I find to be an even richer version of the base of the EDT with the patchouli toned down, and more linear then the EDT. Both versions are extremely long lasting and form an aura around me when I wear them.
    I love them both for different occasions, but if I had to pick one to own, without a doubt, it would be the EDT.

Buy it!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

I'm with arlecchino - the EdT has a lovely openness that you won't find in the EdP, so I'd say go for it!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I love both (I owned the EdP, now I own the EdT).

Since it's easier for you to get the EdT right now, get that one. Later on when you can get the EdP, get that one.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Many thanks, guys, I will pick up the EDT as it makes more sense in every respect - larger bottle, local deal (hate the wait for online purchases), lesser out-of-pocket expense and I already know I like the juice

Now that that's settled, I have to locate me a store that carries Mouchoir de Monsier so I can sample it, I am on a Guerlain binge!

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh yeah, the EDT is serving me well.

Just make sure not to smell it up close. I learned my lesson the hard way. Put it on and enjoy the many wafts of different smells from afar.

I had a religious experience with it last night, actually - you know how when you roll over in your sleep, and you're semi-conscious? I rolled over and I smelled the most amazing vanilla and it woke me up, and I realized that I had sprayed Heritage on in the early evening. The vanilla is really quite something, much stronger than what I've smelled of Shalimar. I'm still wrapping my nose around the opening; it's tough, but the drydown is something to behold.

I actually prefer the EDP--the original formulation before it was reworked--over the EDT.

You might want to consider also buying the EDP because it looks like it's been discontinued. It's no longer listed as part of the
    Héritage range on the Guerlain website. I don't think you'll find it any cheaper than $100 Canadian dollars any time in the future.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 3rd December 2008 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

I actually prefer the EDP--the original formulation before it was reworked--over the EDT.

You might want to consider also buying the EDP because it looks like it's been discontinued. It's no longer listed as part of the
    Héritage range on the Guerlain website. I don't think you'll find it any cheaper than $100 Canadian dollars any time in the future.

scentemental

Thanks, Scentemental, do you know when was the EDP reworked and what is the difference with the later formulation? I suppose there is a pretty slim chance that the Heritage EDP at PerfumeCountry ($71.99, minus $10.80 with CSHARE coupon) would be the original, untempered formula.

Unfortunately I have only smelled the EDT (own in, actually), but I love it. Very classy and sophisticated fragrance.

scentemental

I agree. I owned both and found the EDP better suited to my tastes. As for availability, I haven't seen one on ebay for ages and a couple of London department stores, where I bought my EDPs, no longer stock them.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness, it was just there about a month ago when I looked. It must have been axed, when Guerlain Homme arrived (?).

I will start looking for a bottle of the EdP myself now.

Sad, sad news.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd December 2008 at 07:17 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

What about the fact that EDP is 2.5 oz while the EDT is 3.5? Is longevity of the EDP markedly better to justify one full ounce less of the juice? I do realize they're not exactly the same but it seems that the EDT version is not without its merits and fans.

I've already faced a similar dilemma before when I had to choose L'Instant, I went for the EDP and glad I did, but it was on sale cheaper than the EDT.

Yes, the EDP is richer and longer lasting but without, as others have mentioned, the brightness of the EDT. Either way, you can't go wrong as it's all down to personal taste.
    Last edited by Trebor; 3rd December 2008 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Thanks, Scentemental, do you know when was the EDP reworked and what is the difference with the later formulation? I suppose there is a pretty slim chance that the Heritage EDP at PerfumeCountry ($71.99, minus $10.80 with CSHARE coupon) would be the original, untempered formula.

I can't say exactly when, but I suspect sometime early 2000.

With regards to the differences between the EDT and the EDP and the lasting power of the EDP, see

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=187576

but keep in mind that my personal preference is for the EDP, so I tend to valorize it more than the EDT, which I find a little thin, a little screechy, and somewhat too dessicated when compare to the more lush expansive richness of the EDP. Of course, others might perceive those features of the EDT in a more positive light as is clearly the case.

Whenever I am faced with such a dilemma as you are here, I buy both strengths and wear both of them a number of times. One quickly learns that way which strength one prefers or if, indeed, one likes both both formulations equally or for different reasons or even occasions.

With regard to the difference in formulation:

If one conducts careful comparison tests between the vintage and reformulated versions of Heritage EDP, there are noticeable differences. The reformulation, as is the case with most Guerlains, is well done and carefully done, and while the qualitative difference between the two fragrances is not pronounced, the reformulated version is not as same as the original. It never is.

The vintage Héritage is more natural smelling, richer, smoother, with the animalic component less prominent and more fully integrated into the overall accord, and the drydown is brighter and softer. I suspect this is the case because like a lot of the Guerlains, the reformulation was tweaked to take into account the new safety concerns over various ingredients as well as costs. (Turin has posted on this feature of Guerlain fragrances.) There is a certain "intensity" in the reformulated juice that is, to my nose, the function of aroma chemicals substitutions of the older more natural ingredients. I am sure the Oakmoss/Treemoss balance has been tweaked in the newer version. To my nose, it makes the reformulation a little more jagged, less jaunty, slightly unbalanced.

I suspect your chances of getting a vintage version are slim to none.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 3rd December 2008 at 08:16 PM.

Wish I had that kind of nose. I have two Héritage EdP bottles bought in 1997 and one bought in 2005, and I can't smell a darn difference, however hard I try... I'm an easy victim I guess

Scentemental, thanks a lot, as usual your insights are informative, relevant and extremely helpful. From your comments it sounds like the old formula was indeed something I would prefer over the reworked one, but I suppose I have very little choice in the matter.

Are there any tell-tale signs in the bottle or the box design to indicate which version it is? There is a number of Heritage sellers on eBay, how about this one for example, might this be the elusive older formulation or is it likely just a beat up box of the newer stuff?

It's the old box design, so vintage.

Scentemental, thanks a lot, as usual your insights are informative, relevant and extremely helpful. From your comments it sounds like the old formula was indeed something I would prefer over the reworked one, but I suppose I have very little choice in the matter.

Are there any tell-tale signs in the bottle or the box design to indicate which version it is? There is a number of Heritage sellers on eBay, how about this one for example, might this be the elusive older formulation or is it likely just a beat up box of the newer stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is the vintage EDT. Wonderful juice. As scentemental noted, and like most of the guerlains which I have had a chance to compare the older one is a little more natural smelling. Also, I think it diffuses slightly differently, the newer one is a bit denser. The bases are different, the newer one keeps a consistent base accord for longer while the older one breaks up and softens. The differences are slight though, the fragrance is definitely intact and very good.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

See the following thread: Guerlain Héritage Eau de Parfum Review

One final thing, I wouldn't get too hung up on the search for the vintage version. The reformulation is still very good. You know me, I tend to split hairs probably a little too much. I am happy to see interest in the wonderful fragrance.

scentemental

P.S. Glad to see hirch_duckfinder confirming my own impressions.

Last edited by scentemental; 28th October 2009 at 01:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the EdT version of the above orange box a "vintage" pre-reformulation?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Is the EdT version of the above orange box a "vintage" pre-reformulation?
    No Chris, not necessarily. Some of the orange boxes have the IFRA problematic ingredients listed on them and are clearly reformulated:

Some don't have IFRA problematic ingredients listed, but that doesn't guarantee that the juice is vintage. I think with the EDT, the safest bet that you are getting the vintage formulation is the classic maroon box.

scentemental

Was/is Heritage a poor seller for Guerlain? After all, Habit Rouge has a EdC, Edt, EdP and now a Parfum version.

Post Thanks / Like

No Chris, not necessarily. Some of the orange boxes have the IFRA problematic ingredients listed on them and are clearly reformulated:

Some don't have IFRA problematic ingredients listed, but that doesn't guarantee that the juice is vintage. I think with the EDT, the safest bet that you are getting the vintage formulation is the classic maroon box.

scentemental
    Confusing, isn't it!
    Thanks scentemental.

P.S. Just for reference if it helps anyone, my box does not have the Cinnamyl Alcohol, Amyl Cinnamal (just says Cinnamal), nor Benzyl Salicylate, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Alcohol.

It does have Evernia Prunastri (Oak Moss) Extract
    Last edited by ChrisW; 3rd December 2008 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Was/is Heritage a poor seller for Guerlain? After all, Habit Rouge has a EdC, Edt, EdP and now a Parfum version.

Who knows, and who knows the anfractuous financial machinations and considerations that lead to these kinds of decisions.

I will speculate, however, that Heritage was costlier and more troublesome to produce at in the light of IFRA recommendations more troublesome to tweak than Habit Rouge especially the vintage EDT and EDP version, which always struck me as having a very high level of high quality natural and aromachemical ingredients.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 4th December 2008 at 12:19 AM.

Keep in mind that the EDP isn't simply a richer smelling version of the EDT. In fact, I find the EDT heavier and with a fuller body overall compared to EDP which is a different scent anyway and doesn't smell much like the EDT. In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Keep in mind that the EDP isn't simply a richer smelling version of the EDT. In fact, I find the EDT heavier and with a fuller body overall compared to EDP which is a different scent anyway and doesn't smell much like the EDT. In my opinion.
    My comparison from the link provided above makes that pretty clear I think. I definitely concur with your opinion phibess.

There is almost no EDP that is exactly the same as EDT except stronger. Some vary quite dramatically. I have posted about this elsewhere. There are technical considerations, among other things, that prevent an EDP from simply being a stronger version of the EDT; although, some still labor under such a misconception in their hopes for a longer lasting stronger version of their favorite EDT fragrance with more projection.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 4th December 2008 at 03:53 AM.

I got my 3.4oz Heritage EDT at Marshalls a couple of years ago for $19, which was a steal. It looks like vintage stock as the box is old style/pre IFRA allergen labelling and it says "Copyright Guerlain 1996" on it.

It smells unbelievably good. It smells extremely expensive also, though I don't know the exact reason why.

What I meant was that if I smelled the EDP without knowing what it was the word Heritage wouldn't spring into my mind at all. I mean there are perfumes that have immediately recognizable main accord whether they are EdT, EdP or parfum concentrations (Opium, Bois des Iles...). When I smell Habit Rouge EdC I can't think of anything else than HR even if the EdT was the only version I was familiar with. This is not the case with Heritage, at least not for me. Btw, the EdP, could easily be marketed as unisex IMO.

My comparison from the link provided above makes that pretty clear I think. I definitely concur with your opinion phibess.

There is almost no EDP that is exactly the same as EDT except stronger. Some vary quite dramatically. I have posted about this elsewhere. There are technical considerations, among other things, that prevent an EDP from simply being a stronger version of the EDT; although, some still labor under such a misconception in their hopes for a longer lasting stronger version of their favorite EDT fragrance with more projection.

scentemental

I asked Guerlain's PR chief Isabelle Rousseau if the EdP is discontinued. She replied:

"J’ai le plaisir de vous informer que le parfum HERITAGE en EAU DE PARFUM n’est pas supprimé de la gamme Guerlain. Vous pouvez donc vous le procurer chez tous les dépositaires agréés Guerlain ou demander à votre parfumerie de vous le commander. J'ai transmis vos remarques au service internet afin d'effectuer une mise à jour."

That is, it's only a homepage-update error that the EdP disappeared from the Guerlain site - it's still produced. So no panic.

Héritage range on the Guerlain website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    I asked Guerlain's PR chief Isabelle Rousseau if the EdP is discontinued. She replied:

"J’ai le plaisir de vous informer que le parfum HERITAGE en EAU DE PARFUM n’est pas supprimé de la gamme Guerlain. Vous pouvez donc vous le procurer chez tous les dépositaires agréés Guerlain ou demander à votre parfumerie de vous le commander. J'ai transmis vos remarques au service internet afin d'effectuer une mise à jour."

That is, it's only a homepage-update error that the EdP disappeared from the Guerlain site - it's still produced. So no panic.

Your efforts are much appreciated as is the good news.

Many thanks,

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    What I meant was that if I smelled the EDP without knowing what it was the word Heritage wouldn't spring into my mind at all. I mean there are perfumes that have immediately recognizable main accord whether they are EdT, EdP or parfum concentrations (Opium, Bois des Iles...). When I smell Habit Rouge EdC I can't think of anything else than HR even if the EdT was the only version I was familiar with. This is not the case with Heritage, at least not for me. Btw, the EdP, could easily be marketed as unisex IMO.

That's an excellent point. I was doing a comparison between the EDT and the EDP last night with all this talk swimming in my head, and I was struck by the almost complete absence of the very characteristic defining dry and simultaneously oily cedarwood note in the EDT. The more I think about it, especially in the light of your words phibess, the more I am surprised how very different, indeed, the EDP is. The patchouli of the EDT seems to be almost entirely absent, perhaps not as salient would be more correct; the spices are toned down to liminal levels. The lavender is nowhere in sight.

Most definitely women should give the EDP a wear. Thank you so much phibess for the fresh perspective. I see it clearly now.

Cheers,

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 4th December 2008 at 02:16 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful news!

-- Jack Kerouac

It appears my estimate of the cost of Heritage EDT at Sears was way off mark - they charge Cad $90 (plus 13% tax in Ontario) for the 100 ml bottle. Given the price, I may as well go after a bottle of EDP online or from a fellow Bnoter as even with the gift card I'd still have to pay over Cad $50 for the EDT .

I've given Heritage my first full wearing today (always carry an empty atomizer vial with you when going to your fragrance retailer hehe...) and I must say that I would definitely prefer a more subtle, less bright opening which the EDP is said to have. I am also not a big fan of civet and could do with a little less of it. If the difference between the two is similar to that between L'Instant EDT and EDP, I should be very happy with the EDP.

Many thanks to all you guys for your insights and recommendations, the help newbs get on this board is invaluable!

Good luck with hunting down some EdP! But I would never call Héritage's opening "subtle", whatever the concentration. But yes, less "bright"

... I must say that I would definitely prefer a more subtle, less bright opening which the EDP is said to have.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Guerlain Heritage - EDT vs EDP

Heritage caught my fancy today and when I looked around on the web and - lucky to me - I found this discussion. I am wondering if what she said is right - well she works for Guerlain so she must knows best. I am asking though because the EDP is also gone from Escentual.com - which is strange because I thought they always have everything.

I'm not affiliated to Escentual btw.
    Last edited by malabah; 5th December 2008 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing this, EDT, for the third time today. I've come to the conclusion:

DON'T PAT THIS! And ESPECIALLY don't rub it.

At least with my bottle, if you spray it on your wrist, don't pat it. Let it dry. If I pat it ever so lightly, on my skin, it crushes the scent entirely, and all that's left is bitter and sour. However, without crushing it, you get a brilliant scent that transcends down to vanilla. The vanilla also takes a lot longer to appear after patting.

I mean, it seems fine with other scents, but with this scent, patting seems to ruin it. I don't know why. I was close to bringing my bottle back because I thought it went bad. However, one shot to my wrist and one shot to my stomach, and I'm loving the crap out of this.

Anyways, just a heads up.
    Last edited by dynendal; 5th December 2008 at 06:42 PM.

A bit OT, maybe....
    today I re-tested Heritage at my local department and the bottle was new.
    The colour was not gold, but more amber/orangy...

Any news about reformulation/ changes?

BTW; the SA told me the EdP version is not available here in Italy
    My summer favs: Penhaligon's - Racquets; Acqua di Parma - Colonia Assoluta; Dior - Homme Cologne
    My winter favs: Chanel - Antaeus; Guerlain - Habit Rouge EdT; YSL - Kouros; Calvin Klein - Eternity; Burberry - Brit; Comme des Garçons - Wonderwood

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this before but the newly revamped (and reformulated?) Heritage EDP is available in 100ml - not 75ml as in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread, but I would prefer the EDP over the EDT. It's my own personal opinion, but I found the EDT incredibly uninteresting and lame for a Guerlain.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I love the EDP... one of my top 10 for sure. I tried the EDT and it was good too, but really a different fragrance altogether.

The EDP has a lot of similarities with Shalimar EDP - more so than the normally quoted Habit Rouge, at least in my opinion - but I am talking more about the basenotes and not the top notes.

(p.s. It's readily available here in France)
    Last edited by Schachman; 7th July 2009 at 07:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just scored my hands on a "vintage" 4.2 oz EDT and gotta say I find it pretty subtle after its initial top notes. It has a few stages and eventually drys down to a tonka and vanilla mix that is subtle and has whiffs of patchoulli and a guerlinade smell to it. I confused the initial smell for L'Instant and it reminds me of a more formal Chanel Allure and Armani Code with its tonka drydown, but of course has that guerlinade to save it from generic obscurity. I'm still formulating my thoughts on it but I think this one will be a grower and will learn to appreciate more it with time!

To complete the information
    - the reformulated EdT does no longer contain mosses and comes in the newly redesigned packaging
    - the reformulated EdP still contains treemoss, comes also in the new packaging but is now in a 100 ml (3.4 oz) bottle (whereas it was 50 or 75 ml before reformulation), and the bottle appears to be the same as the EdT

I recently tried the reformulated EdT and barely noticed differences; the drydown was a little less rich with a note that reminded me of cocoa rather than patchouli

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Guerlain Heritage - EDT vs EDP

Quote Originally Posted by germanomio View Post
    [...]the drydown was a little less rich with a note that reminded me of cocoa rather than patchouli
    That would be a significant difference for me. Cocoa was L'Instant's part. Now it's there in Héritage... Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

How many hours do ya'll get on the EDT? I seem to get around 3-4 hours on my vintage 4.2 oz EDT but that's probably because it's old ;0

Btw, this is what the original EDP box looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HERITAGE-de-Gu...3%3A1|294%3A50

Post Thanks / Like

i received my 2.5 oz bottle of Heritage EDP (1996, no IRFA related chemical listing on box etc) today....and, boy O' boy - there is indeed no similarity between the EDT and EDP...like phibess pointed out, one wouldnt know this is the same Heritage (EDT). The EDP smells like a cross between Serge Lutens Arabie and Parfums d'Empire's Ambre Russe...yeh! it;s that different! The quaity is TOP notch and can easily take the PdE and SL for a ride with a lesson or two.

I feel lucky to have both the EDT (1991) and EDP (1996) before it was re-formulated ..

Smooth stuff, eh? Now you can understand why I scrambled to get as many bottles as possible.

I recently tried the re-formulated EDT and it smells more similar to L'Instant than how Heritage is supposed to smell...
    Last edited by Trebor; 29th July 2009 at 01:10 PM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Damn I really regret having missed out on the original EDP

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I recently tried the re-formulated EDT and it smells more similar to L'Instant than how Heritage is supposed to smell...
    what confirms what I told about a cocoa note earlier...
    that's said the mix of lavender with some bitter and powdery notes could remind of cocoa

concerning the new bottles: EdT and EdP come now in the same bottle but EdT has a silver cap whereas EdP has a golden cap

Quote Originally Posted by germanomio View Post
    what confirms what I told about a cocoa note earlier...
    that's said the mix of lavender with some bitter and powdery notes could remind of cocoa

concerning the new bottles: EdT and EdP come now in the same bottle but EdT has a silver cap whereas EdP has a golden cap
    germanomio, any impressions on the new EDP?

Also, I bought the EDP version from a BN'er and the year on the box says "1996" but the cap is gold: Was the above quote (by germanomio) implying that the bottle pre-reformulation was -not- gold?
    Last edited by Blak01; 29th July 2009 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blak01 View Post
    Also, I bought the EDP version from a BN'er and the year on the box says "1996" but the cap is gold: Was the above quote (by germanomio) implying that the bottle pre-reformulation was -not- gold?
    No, up until the recent re-formulation, both the EDT and EDP caps were always gold.

Ah, gotcha! Thanks, man!

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blak01 View Post
    Seems you finally found out about Xmen!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Seems you finally found out about Xmen!
    Yessir!

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to consider also buying the EDP because it looks like it's been discontinued. It's no longer listed as part of the Héritage range on the Guerlain website.
    I was just viewing the Guerlain site and the EDP is available, two years later that is.

http://www.guerlain.com/int/en/base....-parfum-2.html
    Last edited by Flaconneur; 27th December 2010 at 03:03 AM.
    - Expect the unexpected

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is the first generation EDT.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by pluran; 27th July 2011 at 04:07 AM.

Two and a half years later update: I ended up getting a decant of vintage EDP but apparently I prefer the most recent EDT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks! It's always good to know how it ended.