Code of Conduct

Smile Help a Newbie!! Finding Similar Fragrances

Hello all!

This is my first time posting here although I have been lurking for quite a while. I must admit I'm quite the fragrance newb (they are insanely expensive where I live!) and I'm hoping that I can get my man to buy me a bottle for my birthday. I have been out of perfume for almost a year! Argh!

So, here are a few fragrances I have really liked in the past:

L'eau D'Issey
    Chris 1947 (I LOVED this fragrance!)
    Ralph Cool
    Estee Lauder's Pleasures

Basically I like them soft, sweet (but not sickeningly so) and casual-like.. if that makes sense.

I have NOT liked the fragrances every girl has in her wardrobe, such as Very Irresistible, Flower by Kenzo, 212 Sexy, etc. They all smell too common and bleh to me.

Any suggestions? I know most of you know a lot more about fragrances than I do! I'd REALLY appreciate it! Thanks muchly, and Merry Christmas!

Default Re: Help a Newbie!! Finding Similar Fragrances

If you like l'Eau d'Issey you may also like Shi by Alfred Sung, and Escada Into the Blue. Maybe Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue (which, unlike the others, has a prominent citrus note).Everyone in the world has D&G Light Blue, though!

I'm not very familiar with your other favorites, but now am eager to check them out!

thank you so much! I'm pretty new to this forum and didn't expect such a quick reply! I'll be sure to check those out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    If you like l'Eau d'Issey you may also like Shi by Alfred Sung

I'm not very familiar with your other favorites, but now am eager to check them out!
    Oh my lord. You read my mind on the Sung Shi. My mother owns a bottle, and I really love it. I would definitely recommend it.

Also, check out Coco Madomoiselle by Chanel. Definitely my favourite perfume.
    Last edited by dynendal; 3rd December 2008 at 10:23 PM.

Duh, I also forgot to say another fragrance I like Aqua di Gio. (but it's old and I'm bored of it)

Thanks, dynendal! I guess I really need to look into this Shi frag. Is it a lot like L'eau D'Issey?

You're welcome! Yeah, I think so. Maybe even more tart and oriental.

Welcome cmaciera!

The scent I can suggest as being the closest to L'eau d'Issey PH that I have ever encountered is this one by Kenneth Cole. You can still find it online and here and there in stores.

Well, you can still get most of those - so why not stick with them?

If you fancy a change:

Pleasures: 5th Avenue and Arden Beauty by Elizabeth Arden; Amarige D'Armour by Givency

Ralph Cool: America for Women by Perry Ellis; Secret Wish by Anna Sui

Chris 1947: Bond Girl 007 (Avon); Sexy Darling (Kylie Minogue); Palazzo by Fendi;

L'Eau D'Issey: Charlie White (Revlon); Polo Sport Woman (Ralph Lauren); Sunflowers (Elizabeth Arden); T Girl (Tommy Hilfiger)

And, you might have some fun at Scent Map.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 3rd December 2008 at 11:08 PM.

Thank you SO much, all, this is great! The Scent Map website is actually really cool!!

What about Clinique Happy? It's been recommended to me by someone else, but do you guys think based on what I've liked it could work?

THANK YOU, I already adore you all. You've given me so many ideas!

I think you might like the new Fendi Palazzo or Chanel Coco Madamoiselle as well as a timeless Guerlain classic like Après l'Ondée

In reference to Happy, you might like it. I think you might like Happy Heart better, though... If they're still selling it. Also try YSL YoungSexyLovely and Vivara.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Hey guys!

I tried Happy yesterday. I loved it, but I've smelled it on too many people, so decided against it for now.

I will try happy heart. Thank you Kotori!

I also tried Be Delicious (too sweet), Noa by Cacharel (too sweet), Pure White Linen (meh), Touch of Pink (kind of nice). Tried Inspiration by Lacoste, which was a really nice, vanilla chocolatey type. I really liked it but it is, in the end, also too sweet for me.

The winner (so far) is Bright Crystal by Versace. I LOVED it. It seems to have a pretty crappy staying power but.. oh, I love it. It's so fresh and lovely.

Can anyone think of any similar fragrances?

(I still need to try others you have suggested such as Palazzo and Coco Madmoiselle..)

I second Coco Madmoiselle and 5th Avenue. You might also want to try 5th Avenue After Five and Burberry Brit.
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

thank you rugayya! I have tried 5th avenue, I do like it, it is my type of scent, but it does smell a bit "old" if that makes sense. I've yet to try coco madmoiselle.

Again, so far Bright Crystal seems to be the winner, if anyone wants to suggest any similar frags they know of that'd be great! I've been trying to test all the ones you guys have mentioned and you've been a great help!

Quote Originally Posted by cmaceira View Post
    thank you rugayya! I have tried 5th avenue, I do like it, it is my type of scent, but it does smell a bit "old" if that makes sense. I've yet to try coco madmoiselle.

Again, so far Bright Crystal seems to be the winner, if anyone wants to suggest any similar frags they know of that'd be great! I've been trying to test all the ones you guys have mentioned and you've been a great help!
    I find that 5th Avenue After Five is a bit "younger' and sexier than the original. (I still like them both.) it also depends on how you apply and how much. I tend to prefer sprays over splashes and am conservative with my application. (1 or 2 sprays to the décolleté/neck and 1 on my wrist.)

Coco Madmoiselle EDP is lighter, younger and more citrus-fresh than "its older sister" Coco. (I've also tried Coco M's EDT version and found that one a bit sharper and more acidic and it didn't last as long as the EDP on me.)
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

In general, it seems you like florals with a deep amber base and maybe some spice.

I think you'd like some of the Guerlains. Chamade might be a nice start.

Smile Re: Help a Newbie!! Finding Similar Fragrances

Some suggestions that are a little bit out of the realm of what has been mentioned:
    Emporio Armani Diamonds (lychee!)
    Flowerbomb (just great, and I don't smell it on everyone)
    Tommy Girl
    Estee Lauder Amber and Ylang-Ylang (might be too sweet for you, but really great)
    Jean Paul Gaultier MaDame (fun!)

Also, consider doing on the Yves Rocher site. Lots of great fragrances for a GREAT price. (Lots of fans here on basenotes).