Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, December 6, 2008 ★★★ GOURMAND

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance -or- Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Orientals Feb. 2007~Animalics March 2007~Chypres April 2007~ Florals May 2007~Fruity June 2007~ Citrus Sept. 2007~Fougere Oct. 2007~ Amber Nov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ Gourmand Jan. 2008~Orientals Feb. 2008~Animalics March 2008~Chypres April 2008~Floral May 2008~Fruity June 2008~Citrus July 2008~Green Aug. 2008~Fresh/Aquatic Sept. 2008~Opposite Gender or Fougere Oct. 2008 ~ Amber Nov. 2008 ~ Spicy

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, December 6, 2008 ★★★ GOURMAND

Yay! I'm really in the mood for gourmands.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, December 6, 2008 ★★★ GOURMAND

I am SO there. Gourmandes are my favorites! Yay! Now...the big decision..WHAT TO WEAR? So many worthy scents to choose from!

Ah, this will be a challenging one for me. Not usually a fan of the gourmands, especially the sweet ones.

Hmmmm, would Cristobal count? It smells like a fig creme brule. Technically, fig is a fruit, but . . . .

Or I suppose I could wear the Nazgul, which actually smells quite nice and not too sweet on me, oddly enough. Then again, I dab lightly.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume ~ Jean de Boufflers

Basenotes Plus

I'm in!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Well all right! I know that I will wear Aziyade. Yummers!

I have so many, how to decide :S
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Another gourmadise salivating here....got all them chocolates...and loukhoums and vanillas and berries oh my!......oh, and some coffee and caramel and gingerbread.....oh! ....and figs......
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I'm having similar troubles... Weighing dates, hazelnuts, a bottle of booze and candied almonds in one hand, coffee, figs, gingerbread and fresh veggies in the other.
    Shortlist:
    Loukhoum (Ava Luxe)
    Piment Brlant
    Caf Noir
    Arabie
    Ambre Narguil
    Amour de Cacao

Of which the last three would require a spritz-and-run. It will depend on my willingness to brave the weather, I suppose!
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I'll most likely be wearing Fougere Bengale, the first gourmand I truly LOVE rather than just tolerate.

Does Cedre Sandaraque count as a gourmand? I might do a two-in-one-day review if it does.

Ooooh! I've just remembered that a kind soul sent me a vial of Rahat Lokhoum by Keiko Meicheri.
    And I've got shedloads of vanillas and rich yumsters in case it doesn't last. Great excuse for Ambre Narguile...
    Hooray hooray hooray!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

What a fun idea! Thanks for inviting everyone to play!

I'm kind of new to the site. Joined a while ago but wasn't active until I submitted a bunch of reviews over the last few months (none appear yet on the site).

Now to see what gourmands I have.....I think Chinatown should qualify? Or am I doing that thing where everything with vanilla smells foody to me?

All suggestions of scents to try--especially mainstream scents since I'm not a collector of gourmands--very , very welcome! I'll comb through my samples.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 5th December 2008 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    What a fun idea! Thanks for inviting everyone to play!

I'm kind of new to the site. Joined a while ago but wasn't active until I submitted a bunch of reviews over the last few months (none appear yet on the site).

Now to see what gourmands I have.....I think Chinatown should qualify? Or am I doing that thing where everything with vanilla smells foody to me?

All suggestions of scents to try--especially mainstream scents since I'm not a collector of gourmands--very , very welcome! I'll comb through my samples.
    Angel is a popular gourmand. Not my cup of tea, but it has many fans!

I'm not a gourmand kinda gal, even though I have them. I just never reach for them so this is a little challenging:

Choices (some are samples):

SL Rahat Loukoum (probably my favorite)
    POTL
    Kenzo Amour (this is a gourmand, right? All that rice steam and vanilla and such?)
    Angel *cough* (I've never made it through a whole day in this one. Challenge.)
    Chinatown (I know this is considered gourmand, but it seems more of a spicy oriental to me.)
    Frapin 1270 (never tried a full wearing of this. I own it, had buyer's remorse, and have just been sampling for others.)

If I treat it as a testing day I'll feel like I haven't full committed. I need to take the full spray plunge.

This is a long-winded way of saying I have the best intentions: I'm IN.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    Angel is a popular gourmand. Not my cup of tea, but it has many fans!
    Oh, yes, Angel. I *do* have a sample. Not my cup of tea either. Maybe I'll force myself to live with it for a day and see if I change my mind!

I'm not in the mood for anything sweet, so it was spicy or unsweetly fruity for me today. I wanted something different, too, as I use these SnS days to wear something I don't normally reach for. I looked back at last year's posts, and ComDiva gave me an idea.

I've had my Michael Storer samples for ages and have tried them only once, so today I'm wearing Michael's Yvette. I read a review that described it as jammy without being sweet, and that is my view of it as well. The notes include tropical flowers, rose otto, muguet, heliotrope, tonka, sandalwood, spice and tarragon, and it is the tarragon that sings to me, with a subtle support of gentle spices. It has a nice warmth that his more obviously gourmand scent, Djin, lacks in this cold weather here. I can't think of another scent that features tarragon like Yvette. Can anyone prompt me?

I don't think Yvette lasted well on me when I first tried it, so I'm hoping for a improved longevity today.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Testing Les Parfums de Rosine Rose Praline
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Happy S&S day!

Right up until the last minute I couldn't decide between a sample of Vanille Abricot, Kenzo Amour, Pleasures Delight or Datura Noir. I even considered Juicy Couture (but to me, that one is not so much a gourmand as it is a candied floral).

Datura Noir won; it's probably the most "me" out of all of those scents. The coconut in there is almost like a Rorschach ink blot test: it goes in and out of your perception depending on whether you're concentrating on it or not. The first impression does feel like an exotic cocktail, but to me, this gourmand is so successful because it quickly turns into something that doesn't seem edible. As paradoxical as that sounds, this has the effect of making the scent interesting and wearable. It manages to pull a great trick on you by being incredibly sweet without being even slightly sickly.

God, I own a LOT in this category.

I think- because it's so cold- I'm going for Neonatura Cocoon- patch, cocoa, vanilla-
    In bath gel, lotion, and spritz !

May later add Lann'Ael or felanilla to the mix, or Musc Maori...

A gourmand will be perfect for the cold and snowy weather right now. I think I thoose Serge Lutens - Un Bois Vanille. Mmmmmmmmm
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

I am traveling and didn't remember this when I grabbed sample vials for the trip. I do have Bois Farine which was in my gotta get around to testing this pile so here goes.

This is one of the stranger things I've actually worn. bread, peanuts maybe... not a scrubber but at least at the moment odd.

I will be home this evening and will try something else for sote

Vanilia by L' Artisan and maybe add Amorito from TBS later on, it's a cheaper version of Amour de Cocoa from CsP.

Vanilia for me is the essence of a gourmande but the L' Artisan version isn't that sweet and nice, it has a rough edge to it and it smells very boozy at the start and still a bit in the drydown.

It's like Vanilia heard it was going to be used in a gourmande fruity thing, packed her bags and left and drowned her sorrows with plenty of bourbon and went back with a bad hangover still smelling of booze. She told the happy candyfluff roommate to take a hike as well and is now nursing a hangover in bed but feeling smug about escaping happy too sweet gourmande land by being heavily tainted with booze, smokey notes and a night out. Take that!
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I really wanted to join all of you. The only thing that I own and that could be classified as gourmand is Neonatura Cocoon and that's what I am wearing. Have a great weekend, all!

I'm wearing A*Men Pure Coffee. It's the first gourmand I've fallen in love with the first time I sprayed it.

Opens with a very potent arabica coffee note, present for mere seconds. I'm pleased that it doesn't last too long, because it's not "blended" into the fragrance - simply sitting there seperate from the rest. I could swear there is also a steamed milk smell for those short seconds, but I could be creating a scent association here.
    After the coffee has passed by, a mouthwatering dark chocolate and vanilla accord lingers and appears/disappears for hours and whenever it comes back, it makes me want to take a bite out of something! A sweet tar note also hangs about, but it's nowhere near as pronounced as in the original A*Men.
    The dry, but sweetened, patchouli/woody drydown lasts for hours and is very agreeable with my skin.

I got 3 compliments when I popped out to do a spot of shopping earlier, too.

sakecat22 introduced me to the whole Possets line over the summer and all of them that I have tried so far have a Gourmand feel to them.
    Today I am wearing Lamp Black.

This is an intesnse deep scent that starts off as the darkest black licorice on me. According to the notes its supposed to be tea but this is like the blast of smell I used to get when I would stock the licorice in the candy aisle when I worked at the co-op. What I really have come to enjoy about this one is as the licorice note gives way a dark dark, vanilla come in to finish this one off. The licorice never goes away but as the vanilla dominates it adds an edge to the smooth vanilla. Just an awesome scent on me.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Gee! I wish I'd thought of Chinatown. But grabbed for the mouth watering.....

for SnS (Wordy - if this doesn't last all day on you I'll be surprised)...my personal fave of all the loukhoums I've tried. On me the cherry/rose/honey is outstanding, the almonds are retiring and there's just a hint of (honest!) smoke in there somewhere.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 6th December 2008 at 12:58 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille for me today. Another contender was Serendipitous -- simple and sweet, and smells exactly like one of those foil-wrapped chocolate "oranges". Lovely, especially worn to bed, but then I realized I was after something more than simple candy. SDV, with its sophisticated dark woody and boozy notes, fills the bill beautifully. It's vanilla, all grown up.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I have a TON of gourmands. And my first thought was to grab one of the Possets (because, as SMM points out, most of them DO have a gourmand feel today).

But I decided it would be best to use it as an opportunity to try, for the first time, one of the biggies in the Loukhoum genre:

SL Rahat Loukhoum

This one, on me, is cherries, cherries, cherries. Then a hint of honeyed vanilla. Much softer than, say, Sweet Oriental Dream (which occasionally grabs my nose and smothers me in creamy sweets). Much less nutty than Ava Luxe's Loukhoum (which, sadly, turns acrid on my skin). More subtle than Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum (which seems to be this scent turned to 11).

I've got a formal tonight - I can easily see this one fitting in and not obliterating the bubbly I plan to drink.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

OK- I switched.
    After shower, I'm in PG's Un Crime Exotique- pure ginger bread- which agrees w/ B...
    AND all the dogs in my neighborhood, apparently.

Iin honor of gourmand day, I'll be having breakfast in Dinner by Bobo. Haven't worn it in a while

I'm wearing Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant from a sample.

Created in 1996.

Top: Mandarin, Cardamom, Cumin, Clove
    Middle: Ylang-Ylang, Licorice, Mango, Heliotrope
    Base: Patchouli, Vanilla, Amber, Cashmeran

I love this fragrance. It smells like a warm from the oven custardy dessert with spices and raisins, and hanging around the kitchen when it's a cold day outside. And I love anything with heliotrope lately, which is sweet and delicious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had a nice, leisurely, afternoon bath, and I was (honestly) glad to wash away the Elephant. It was too much for me today. So my afternoon fragrance is now Love by Killian. His website states that it's inspired by marshmallow. To me, it's pure Divinity (a candy that my southern family always makes at Christmas time). It was created by Calice Becker. The site also lists the formula, which can be viewed here:

http://www.bykilian.com/en/les_fragrances/love/

I only have a sample of Love by Killian - I can't afford a full bottle. But I would if I could. This is without a doubt the nicest confectionary fragrance I've ever tried. It's sweet, sweet, sweet, but it doesn't have a burned sugar or sickeningly synthetic fruity quality. It's really, really nicely done. Lots of florals are used in the composition, as well as white musk, and civet (a teensy bit). I can't pick out any individual notes - it's just a sweet, pretty, marshmallowy fragrance.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 6th December 2008 at 06:09 PM.

Talking Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, December 6, 2008 ★★★ GOURMAND

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I'm wearing Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant from a sample.

Created in 1996.

Top: Mandarin, Cardamom, Cumin, Clove
    Middle: Ylang-Ylang, Licorice, Mango, Heliotrope
    Base: Patchouli, Vanilla, Amber, Cashmeran

I love this fragrance. It smells like a warm from the oven custardy dessert with spices and raisins, and hanging around the kitchen when it's a cold day outside. And I love anything with heliotrope lately, which is sweet and delicious.
    Ummm that sounds nice...I'll put it on my test list!

Yay! It's Gourmand day!
    I'm starting off with Serendipitous, which is a light, orange chocolate. There is no heavy or cloying sweetness to it. If chocolate could be 'sparkling' that's how I would describe it in this wonderful fragrance. Does not last long--2-3 hours, which is fine because I have many scents I want to wear today!!

Smile Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, December 6, 2008 ★★★ GOURMAND

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Vanilia by L' Artisan and maybe add Amorito from TBS later on, it's a cheaper version of Amour de Cocoa from CsP.

Vanilia for me is the essence of a gourmande but the L' Artisan version isn't that sweet and nice, it has a rough edge to it and it smells very boozy at the start and still a bit in the drydown.

It's like Vanilia heard it was going to be used in a gourmande fruity thing, packed her bags and left and drowned her sorrows with plenty of bourbon and went back with a bad hangover still smelling of booze. She told the happy candyfluff roommate to take a hike as well and is now nursing a hangover in bed but feeling smug about escaping happy too sweet gourmande land by being heavily tainted with booze, smokey notes and a night out. Take that!
    Lian, I just love your posts. LOL!!

As I said that I would, I am wearing my current gourmand infatuation, Aziyade. I am so drawn to the cumin, which is not at all overpowering, but plays nicely with all the other foody notes.

I am wearing Angel, which I tried briefly once before and did not like.Something tells me my taste for this one has not changed. Mr. Nostalgie leaned in for a kiss and backed off, begging for more Catherine Deneuve, less Willie Wonka. I keep humming that Serge Gainsbourg song, "Sorry, Angel, sorry so" and may be humming it as I shower off and pour the rest of the sample down the drain. But far be it from me to obliterate a fragrance before experiencing the drydown. Will there ever be a drydown? In the meantime I am spending as much time as possible outdoors as my indoor sillage frightens me. I am thankful, though, for the most fitting Gainsbourg ear worm:

Sorry angel ..Sorry so...C'est moi qui t'ai suicide...Mon amour....Moi qui t'ai ouvert les veines
    Je sais...Maintenant tu es avec les anges...Pour toujours...

Sorry, Angel...sorry so !!!!!!!!

Epilogue:
    Well, I will say in Angel's defense, that it is lasting and layered. But the patchouli just can't stand up to that sweet, foody dominatrix. In the drydown the patchouli turns sour and the candy just keeps on giving.

I'm left with a not-so-fresh, someone-left-the-cake-out-in-the-rain feeling.

Now excuse me while I slip into something quiet and seductive..Hello, Bulgari Jasmin Noir! How I've missed you!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 6th December 2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typos...and update

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Pink Sugar today. It always seems bright, cheery, and happy to me. It has a sparkling quality to it that pushes it beyond just smelling sweet. I've already got TWO compliments on it this morning!

notes include: Bergamot, Sicilian orange, Raspberry, Fig leaves, Lily of the valley, Licorice, Strawberry, Red fruit, Cotton candy, Barbe-a-Papa, Vanilla, Caramel, Musk, Wood, Powder.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Is Elixer de Mervilles a gourmand? because it the chocolate and orange seem to make it one

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    Lian, I just love your posts. LOL!!
    Me, too, Lian! They make me smile.

I'm wearing two today. Started with Hanae Mori's Butterfly, a delicious cookie fragrance with berries, but enough aldehydes to make it sing rather than sicken. The other was Cacharel's Gloria (discontinued), which also has an almond cookie vibe, but in a much less sophisticated way; it's like a bunch of kids at the playground. Very boisterous, but fun. Butterfly could definitely be worn in the evening, Gloria, a jeans day.

My SotE is Vanille Abricot by CSP. On paper, I shouldn't like anything as sweet as this, but it is strangely addictive. I cannot get enough of it tonight, but tomorrow - who knows? The timing is everything.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Late to my own event. Oh, but I was a good little worker bee this a.m. and put projects before pleasures.

Catching up:
    Wordbird: "Shedloads"--another great wordbirdism.
    Nostalgie: Welcome, welcome, welcome! "Less Willie Wonka" Mr. N's a funny one.
    Lushsoup: I do that, too--wear just a sampling's worth rather than go full bore. We gotta loosen up! Thanks for being a role model.
    Tigrushka: Is the Rose Praline crunchy?

You all smell so scrumptious, I'm drooling.

I'm smelling rather delicious myself, wearing Ava Luxe Moroccan Mint Tea. BlackCat, is it you who sent this sweet, green lovely? If not, then who am I offending by forgetting? Like a tamed spearmint, this stuff feels fresh and soothing. Good SotD!

I almost forgot about S'n'S Saturdays. And now I have to admit, I am confused about what is a 'gourmand.' I had to refer back to last year's thread on this subject: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=202467

For example, I wore Josephine by Rance 1795 yesterday (for your stats, SMM!), and I thought it was a floral. But towards the end of the day, I could smell the vanilla. Like NM's Prowl, it's a vanilla floral to me. I usually don't like florals, but I'm beginning to see a pattern. If it has vanilla in it, I'll probably like it, even if it has the smell of cow dung in it (a la L'Artisan's Dzing!).

So, last year's S'n'S gourmand thread says that most gourmands have vanilla. So would Josephine count? Or Prowl, for that matter? Or Bulgari Omnia, with the purported "white chocolate" that I cannot smell in it?

Does Caswell-Massey's Persian Leather count, if I think I smell peanuts in it?
    Last edited by Aiona; 6th December 2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: wrong thread!

Oooh, why don't I wear gourmands more often?! Somehow I have associated them with being tooooo foody, and possibly nauseatingly so. I love SnS for pushing me a little.

Well, I did a little bit of sampling prior to my shower to make my SOTD choice. I tried on POTL, Frapin 1270, 100% Love, and Rahat Loukoum. I did the husband sniff test, and WE decided upon SL Rahat Loukoum. Is it ever scrumptious and delicate! At least the kitty on my lap thinks so.

This is fun. Have a wonderful day, my sweets.

Basenotes Institution

Everyone smells so SWEET. Oh yeah, it's Gourmand Day!

Wearing one of my favorite gourmands, one that is easy to pull off in the 80 degree weather S. Florida is experiencing today.

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes

The salty, orange aspects of EdM brush right up against the chocolate just perfectly. Wearing this, I always get hungry. I don't wear it enough, because I actually associate the scent with Fall/Winter - but wearing it today I'm reminded of how genius JC Ellena can be when he 'gets it right'.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    So, last year's S'n'S gourmand thread says that most gourmands have vanilla. So would Josephine count? Or Prowl, for that matter? Or Bulgari Omnia, with the purported "white chocolate" that I cannot smell in it?
    Wouldn't Omnia count either way, being as it is a tea-based scent?
    I'm making Hiris count too, with its carrot top. (Bad pun, baaaaaad pun)

Lamp Black turns out to be great! But so short-lived. Died out already. Would that be because it's oil-based? Seems to rub off on my sleeves.
    Lamp Black started off with some faintly sweet Christmas spices, progressed fairly quickly into a convincing tea note and ends in a sweet musky vanilla. It never gets "too much" in its sweetness, and I quite like the rendering of the tea. This definitely is the most pleasant Possets I've sampled up to date, and it's inspired me to try the rest of them soon after I gave up on them a while back.

Could anyone shed light on the note that appears in Possets Gingerbread Whorehouse, Gingerbread Crackhouse, Ava Luxe Milk and Love's True Bluish Light? It smells like caramelly condensed milk past its due date, quite sickly to me.

I
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I'm starting out today with YSL ~ Babydoll Paris. Yummy rose flavored Sweet tarts.

After an evening's wear, I am now well tired of Vanille Abricot. This is too sweet for me, and I have a feeling it will linger for the next 24 hours. I need an antidote, but the only one I can think of is sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Wouldn't Omnia count either way, being as it is a tea-based scent?
    Hmm! That's interesting. Supposedly NM Prowl also has tea, but I can't really smell it either, and I thought I knew what green tea smells like. I may have to try them all again today.

'Wish I could help out about the Gingerbread Crackhouse, but that's another one I haven't smelled yet.

Just applied Fougere Bengale, and I'm basking in those funky curried-lavender top-notes...

I'll give a full top-to-base review this evening.

A busy day on which I had to confess to my Mum that no, I wasn't writing a shopping list but my observations on the perfume I was wearing, because I was going to post about it on this website later. She gave me that look that says 'train spotter!' (She chose Hypnotic Poison from the gourmands I offered her this morning. She says she likes something 'with a bit of smell to it' now she's older - this is the woman who snagged a bottle of Shalimar I had up for swaps. She has gooooood taste.)

So I am wearing Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum and it's really nice. I would put this into the same general bracket as Kenzo Amour in terms of audience and appropriateness. I would say it was suitable for all ages, including young girls, and it's perfectly acceptable for work or any kind of setting where you want to keep your perfume inoffensive, such as the theatre, dinner and work, especially in caring professions.

My first impression was of sweetness, exactly like sugar hitting your tongue. Because I'm used to rose-flavoured Turkish Delight, I expected roses, but this has none. The initial sweetness wasn't cloying and soon calmed down into a soft, sweet, almondy, slightly woody gentleness. It has indeed lasted all day long and is very pleasing even now, after more than a dozen hours. What a treat! Thank you Dimples!

You know, I was actually tempted to re-try Kylie's Sexy Darling alongside this, as I found that to be similarly straightforward and pleasing in its trajectory from very sweet to slightly woody and gently musky. However, I didn't stumble across a bottle today. I will put it on my 'to do' list.

I was lucky enough to find a Serge Lutens sales counter in a lovely perfume shop in Schaffhausen and got to try both Louve and Borneo (which I already have marked up as a dark chocolate masterpiece for a fussy devil like me who doesn't like sweet chocolate or patchouli in perfume). Louve I tried on my skin and loved. I thought I understood it at first - oh so pretty marzipan and cherries - well balanced, gourmand without being too sweet or cloying. Very nicely done. And then the smokey rubbery wierdness kicked in and took it to a whole new place that is just great. Me likey. I keep finding these Lutens that I like. Damn! I can see me spending a lot of money with him.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 7th December 2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: thunk more

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Hmm! That's interesting. Supposedly NM Prowl also has tea, but I can't really smell it either, and I thought I knew what green tea smells like. I may have to try them all again today.

'Wish I could help out about the Gingerbread Crackhouse, but that's another one I haven't smelled yet.
    I confess I don't get any tea out of Omnia either, but from reviews I know others do. For me putting on Omnia = one way trip to shower.

Slipped in another Possets for SnS: Perpetual Motion Machine. It opens on a blast of berries, cranberries maybe. Actually, sugared, fresh-from-the-oven, mushy warm cranberry jam. A bit later on I get an almost Tauer-esque desert air wafting over the berries... it turns out to be cinnamon, I think. The whole is underlined by a creamy, rich, dark vanilla and.. wood? Hard to make out. Either way, it's deliciously winterish and completely edible, though I have no clue why the title is what it is.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 6th December 2008 at 11:29 PM.

Douglas Adams

Ms. Q, glad you are enjoying the AL. It seemed like it would be right up your alley!

After looking at the definition of gourmands, I confirmed that I indeed have (and enjoy) very few. My skin turns caramel, chocolate, and some vanilla to such very very syrupy wrongness. I started out the day in two amber/vanillas, which may be kind of cheating (I know we just did a S&S on ambers), but there you go:

I Profumi di Firenze Ambra del Nepal (amber, cardamom, vanilla)
    and
    AL Ambra Tibet (Tibetan amber, cardamon, Madagascar vanilla, ambergris, civet)

They are very similar--I think I prefer the iPdF as a bit more rounded and slightly less vanillic, plus it's got this slight incensey-note which is beautiful. Both are very nice, though, and still detectable almost ten hours later. I think they have enough vanilla to just barely qualify as "gourmands."

For tonight, it's going to be Cristobal (fig brulee) one arm and Tocade (rose vanilla) on the other. Again, not sure if these count, but. . . .
    Last edited by BlackCat; 7th December 2008 at 01:44 AM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume ~ Jean de Boufflers

Givenchy Organza EDP

Notes: Honeysuckle, Rosewood, Gardenia, Ylang-Ylang, Peony, Cedar, Vanilla (from Sephora)

I have read that some people find Organza to be "gourmand", even though my memory of it is more as an oriental, and somewhat reminiscent of Chanel Coco. I used to wear Organza daily when it first came out. In a way, it was my replacement for Coco, which was my signature scent. I love Organza, but never really went head over heels for it. These days, compared to the other woody orientals on offer (Armani Mania, for example), I feel that Organza outdoes most of the newer fragrances in the same genre. It is interesting that I seem to appreciate it more today than I did when I wore it more frequently!

On first spray, Organza is floral and powdery, with a hint of peppery spice. There is no particular flower that comes forward for me, but the bouquet tends more toward the "white" side of floral, and has some kind of synergistic effect that recalls spicy carnation. As the top notes settle, I smell creamy wood and sweet vanilla, although the floral notes are really much louder than the base at this point. Regardless, the base seems to deepen the brightness of the floral notes--heady flower nectar meets soothing woody amber. This is one of those fragrances that smells different depending on what distance I take. If I sniff very close to my arm, the florals become intoxicating. If I sniff a bit further away, I smell more of the powder, vanilla and spice. Either way the fragrance is STRONG...not quite the powerhouse that Coco is, but very close.

Eventually the floral notes mellow, and the powder retains a sort of astringent, biting quality that gives the composition some sharpness. The vanilla comes out more at this stage and is soft and sweet. I hesitate to say it is an edible vanilla, but it seems to walk the line--probably a little more vanilla and the fragrance would fall onto the spiced cookie side of the fence. The creamy wood I smelled earlier is not so apparent, although my experience with some orientals is that the woods become so much part of the amber base that they almost can't be distinguished. I actually like when this happens, as I really don't enjoy cedar fragrances that smell like pencil shavings or a hamster cage. In Organza, the wood is smooth and subtle, and probably has some sandalwood sweetening the cedar. I also wonder if there is patchouli in the fragrance, even though it is not listed as one of the notes. Sometimes patchouli has a peppery quality to it that is almost-but-not-quite spice. I keep smelling this peppery note, but it really does not smell like pepper spice.

As I move around, I catch whiffs from a distance, and the vanilla is so lovely--in the drydown it is the central attraction but does not become syrupy or go toward vanilla extract. Since my skin really dries things out, it is possible this could go very sweet on some. As for me, the sweetness is muted, and the vanilla has a fluffy cloud-like quality. The woods continue to be creamy and also a bit sweet. This is where the family resemblance to Organza Indecence comes out, and I love this part of the fragrance development.

In the late drydown, the floral notes are mostly faded, leaving behind a sweet vanilla amber that is soft and a touch powdery. The development went faster than I expected--about 2 hours to get to the base notes, and 6 hours later, the fragrance is mostly a skin scent. I think this is what Estee Lauder Amber Ylang Ylang really wants to be--a soft floral over sweet vanilla amber. To me, Organza does this far more successfully, although the top notes are rather penetrating at first. It is also at this late stage that I can say the vanilla becomes slightly more edible, but still keeps arms length from being foody because of the light powder.

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834

Notes: Patchouli, Chocolate, Resinous Woods (from Barney's)

Not quite ready to review this one yet, but it seems to fit the gourmand theme rather well. I didn't smell the chocolate the first few times I wore Borneo, but I certainly smell it right now. It is a dry, dusty, dark chocolate with a peppery patchouli and maybe some sandalwood. I really love this fragrance--it is powerful and nostagic, and smells like I want my patchouli to be.

Smile Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, December 6, 2008 ★★★ GOURMAND

Final gourmands for today:
    I layered CSP Matin Calin with Nelly Rodi Scent factory Cacao and Rhum. Just yummy. A sugary chocolate rum ball, with an emphasis on the rum. (I just love boozy scents, and the Nelly Rodi Rhum is just terrific).

I went with Vanille Abricot today. To my nose this is a straight up vanilla cake with a hint of the apricot, but my boyfriend said it was a spicy vanilla licorice candy. I've had it on all day, and I still don't smell any spice or licorice, but I'm enjoying it.

I have had this one for a while, but I hadn't worn it in about a year - I sort of developed a snobbish attitude toward it when I first started to become a perfumista, but it's actually quite nice. It's not original or complex, but it is a good cozy scent.

For the rest of the evening yesterday I changed into Vero Profumo Kiki, a lovely gourmand lavender. Am wearing it today, too.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

SotE is La Maison ~ Vanille Givreedes Antilles. I've read some people think it smell like Angel but imho I think it smells like Organza Indecence. Verry Yummy!

Emboldened by my success with the other two Possets, i tried on a last one before bed: Haute Love - supposedly ginger and chocolate. It's awful. What a mess! No ginger in the topnotes, but extremely synthetic mint candy. In fact, it most reminds me of those after dinner chocolate covered mints, but in the worst possible way. The mint screeches to a halt and morphs into... synthetic orange...? All the while a too-dusty chocolate note is humming in the background. I'm not sure I'm the one to find fault in that particular bit, since I've not like any rendition of chocolate in perfume. Or found it close to the real thing, at all. Coffee is another smell I've not seen replicated.
    The whole sugary mess ends in a generic vanilla coupled with that slightly nauseating condensed milk-note that I found in more Possets.

On a happier note: now enjoying a (very boozy!) Aomassai.

Douglas Adams

Just to stay with the gourmand vibe, today I wore Bond's Chinatown for the first time (thanks Dimples for the sample). I found it very nice and I can see what the appeal is. To me there was a rounded sweet opening that then unfolded into a smooth peach, I would guess it's the same aromachemical as is used in Guerlain's Mitsouko, Attrape Coeur and Vol de Nuit Evasion (please note it's Evasion, the travel exclusive that is nothing like the regular Vol.)

This peach note is often paired with rich golden notes by Guerlain, to create something that I sometimes find too much to stand, or in Mitsouko, balanced out with bitter oakmoss, which I still find somehow indigestible. In Chinatown it has been delicately balanced to keep it in check, but it has avoided bitterness. I would call it a 'white peach'. The base is gently woody and musky and it has decent longevity. All in all, I am impressed by the handling of a chemical I know I struggle with, but I doubt I'd buy a full bottle.

Can I point out that it's easy to cut and paste reviews from these sniff and speak days and add them to the database?
    I am dreadful for not adding my thoughts to the mass of knowledge, but know that it's one of the things that makes Basenotes special and valuable to visitors. So I'm trying to remember to put things in.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 7th December 2008 at 11:19 AM.