Code of Conduct

Default Liquid Hand Soap

Ok guys, need some help. I'm looking for really good liqued hand soap. Not shower gel or bar soap but liquid soap. Now, I'm sort of a clean freak, so I wash my hands a lot, I'm looking for something that gets your hands real clean, but is also not that harsh. Obviously smell is important to me. IF you got any good suggestions that would be great, if not, list what you use. Thanks guys.

Default Re: Liquid Hand Soap

Dial Yogurt soap is gentle and doesn't dry out my skin. It smell great without being perfumy.
    And it's easy to find at your local grocery store or pharmacy.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'll tell you what we use in the kitchen and bathroom, in pump dispensers-- don't be horrified-- it works well! Grapefruit scented Ajax dishwashing liquid.

I kid you not.

It isn't too harsh, it rinses off easily, it leaves no soapscum even in our hard water and it smells nice.

But if you can't stomach that, the various Softsoap liquids are good.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 22nd December 2008 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I'll tell you what we use in the kitchen and bathroom, in pump dispensers-- don't be horrified-- it works well! Grapefruit scented Ajax dishwashing liquid.
    I agree with you -- dishwashing liquid is much cheaper and sodium laureth sulfate is sodium laureth sulfate.

I re-use a foaming soap dispenser and dilute it five parts water, one part soap. I personally think that the foaming soap is gentler because it is diluted. I was my hands an awful lot, too, and chapping can be a problem in winter.

I have been thinking of experimenting with Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap (which is real saponified oil rather than sodium laureth sulfate). Dr. Bronner's seems to be about the right consistency so I think it would not have to be diluted, or maybe not diluted as much.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post

I kid you not.

It isn't too harsh, it rinses off easily, it leaves no soapscum even in our hard water and it smells nice.

But if you can't stomach that, the various Softsoap liquids are good.
    Oh no, trust me I use my fair share of dishwashing detergent as hand soap. It works fine, but in the winter time I find that it is a little too harsh for my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    I agree with you -- dishwashing liquid is much cheaper and sodium laureth sulfate is sodium laureth sulfate.

I re-use a foaming soap dispenser and dilute it five parts water, one part soap. I personally think that the foaming soap is gentler because it is diluted. I was my hands an awful lot, too, and chapping can be a problem in winter.

I have been thinking of experimenting with Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap (which is real saponified oil rather than sodium laureth sulfate). Dr. Bronner's seems to be about the right consistency so I think it would not have to be diluted, or maybe not diluted as much.
    Advocate I have been researching Dr. Bronner's soaps and it seems real interesting. Do you have any idea where they sell them?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

We keep Gold Bond lotion next to the sinks and apply right after washing. I find, no matter how mild the soap, I still need the hand lotion.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I bought some Dr. Bonner's at the downtown Chicago Merz Apothecary a couple months ago, and haven't found a good use for it yet. Tried for hand soap, face wash, shampoo, body shampoo. It just doesn't feel like it's cleaning me or rinsing away. The smell sort of reminded me of Phisohex. I've set it aside to use try as pet shampoo now.

Health-food stores tend to carry the brand. I think you can locate distributors/outlets from the company's website.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    The smell sort of reminded me of Phisohex.

Health-food stores tend to carry the brand. I think you can locate distributors/outlets from the company's website.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Do you have any idea where they sell them?
    Look for any place where there are a lot of Priuses parked out front. Whole Foods certainly, although their prices aren't awfully great. The best prices would be from internet wholesalers.

It comes in several fragrances (I find tea tree particularly invigorating) as well as completely unscented ("baby pure" or something).

Nancy Boy hand soap is a totally lovely product. Turns hand washing into a real pleasure.

Comes in several frag's (The sweetgrass & citrus (grapefruit) scents are to die for, for sure).

8 oz pump bottle, $10 I think. A little goes a long long
    way.

Ingredients: Saponified Coconut & Olive Oils, aloe vera, jojoba & natural EO's.

Treat your hands right & try some Nancy Boy product.

My whole family uses & loves Nancy Boy products. Great product line. First class, highest quality ingredients. First class customer service. We all think very fondly think that Eric Reuss is a genius.

hyperwarp: Thanks for reminding me about Nancy Boy! I use the shaving cream, soap, and hair gel - but I've never delved into the hand soap. Guess what I'm ordering right now!