Code of Conduct

Default Deodorant and Anti-perspirant Sticks

Hello Basenoters,

If I could direct this question to the Australasians and the Brits (it's a market availability thing).

I'm having trouble finding a new reliable deodorant / anti-perspirant. I have quite sensitive skin and I typically use a scented deodorant stick, however I'm finding it more difficult to find one that doesn't irritate after a few weeks of use / and /or is effective.

I won't use sprays or roll-ons, I believe they both ruin your shirts.

Products like Clarins Men, Clinique For Men and Natio seem to 'build up' on my underarms after a few days use, and then irritate my skin. (And, before anyone asks, I normally shower twice a day).

Most recently I had been using Muglers 'Cologne' deodorant stick, which is no longer available here. I switched to A Men, but I wasn't convinced that was working. Switched again to a Zegna, but that became irritating inside a month or so. I'm currently using the Mugler 'Cologne' deodorant mineral stone - which is effective for odour, but not so great on the wetness.

So, suggestions welcome !

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Deodorant and Anti-perspirant Sticks

Anthony For Men Deodorant is BRILLIANT.

Do you realise that you are asking for two different things - since antiperspirants stop you perspiring, while deodorants let you perspire but stop the breakdown of sweat into something smelly? In other words, they work very differently.

I've never had a spray or roll-on ruin my shirts in recent years, though it did happen decades ago with some spray-ons. Nowadays, the main problem is that strong powder in the 10 or 18% strength Aluminium Chlorhydrate sprays, when you forget to shake the bottle, which sometimes takes three washes to get out. If you look around for sprays with only 4% (which used to be the high strength ones 15 years ago) they may be more suitable.

That said, if you don't mind spending the money -
    The Aramis Lab Series antiperspirant stick is unscented, powdery, dry and the best I've used, but is fairly expensive.
    The Clinique antiperspirant stick is a bit cheaper, but a bit gooier/stickier than the Lab Series one - more like the deodorant sticks you're used to. I got them at Myers a while back.

The best deodorant stick is the D&G Homme one that they were getting rid of at My Chemist recently for $10. I've no idea whether it stops sweat breaking down better than any of the others or not. All I know is that it doesn't matter, because it's scent is nearly as strong as the EDTs and it will overpower any odor one may develop.

I know that you don't like roll-ons, but I've never had any problem with the Mitchum Unscented or the Mum Unscented ones which you can get anywhere.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th December 2008 at 03:46 PM.

Mitchum unscented roll on does a good job for me. No arm pit smell at all, but lately I have not been using it as much. I heard it has some 'aluminum' thing in it and as soon as I got to know about it, it sort of made me reluctant to use it. I just feel its got some chemicals that may not be good for the skin.

These days I am not using anything under my arms and I can feel them smell a bit. One of these days I know, I will have to return to Mitchum unscented roll on. I really wish there was something more natural that could stop the odour.

I personally feel its better to use something that cuts the odour rather than use something that totally stops you from sweating.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I heard it has some 'aluminum' thing in it and as soon as I got to know about it, it sort of made me reluctant to use it. I just feel its got some chemicals that may not be good for the skin.
    Just type in "aluminium antiperspirant alzheimers" in Google, and you will find plenty of authoritative sources showing the nonsense of such claims. If one is worried about the effects of aluminium, one had better stop eating food, because there is a lot more of it in food than there is in underarm antiperspirants.

Apparently, according to some of those articles, this aluminium-in-antiperspirants-is-bad-for-you scare is often recycled by sellers of "natural" antiperspirants which contain "natural rock salts" - only problem being that the natural rock salts usually consist of aluminium-potassium-sulphate, which is an aluminium salt, pretty much akin to the man made aluminium salts in standard antiperspirants.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 8th December 2008 at 04:36 PM.

axe/lynx works great. Its the only antiperspirant that actually works well for me. the deodorant works great too, but i'm able to overpower it during the more intense workouts. I try not to use antiperspirant everyday bc i hear the aluminum in it gives your Alzheimers diesease. no residue on any of my clothes, even my whites.

I'm now using Kiss My Face Unscented Roll On deodorant. It's all natural, no aluminum, etc. Does an ok job of stopping odor - definitely doesn't stop sweating. I popped the ball on it though and sprayed about 10 sprays of Versace PH into it and now I've got myself a nice Versace PH scented deodorant. This works much better at cutting the odor compared to the stuff "pre-modification."

Considering you can get a bottle of the stuff for just over $3 online, I'm going to order a bunch and make separate deodorants for all my favorite scents.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Conceptually, I'm hooked on using enzymes for deodorant control. I've been using Kiss My Face Active Enzyme fragrance free (I got it in a health food store). I think you'll like it if you can find it.

For the occasional time when I want to avoid perspiring, Mitchum unscented roll-on works very well, and since I usually wear an undershirt I don't have to worry about it ruining my shirt.
    Last edited by aeromatic; 25th December 2008 at 06:10 PM.