Code of Conduct

SC, CA, NV- Who knows where I'll be next?

Question Feerie as a Gift?

Ladies I am having a real problem finding a gift for a special friend. I came across an insert in a catalog which is Feerie by Van Cleef & Arpels. It might work but I need a little feedback.
    The lady is a friend of many years but not a romantic interest. I know she likes lighter fragrances and is generally more casual than formal. What do you think of Feerie? It is light but a little sweet so I worry it may be for a younger lady. Is this in the running as a present for an almost 50 friend of many years or should I keep looking.
    Other suggestions are also welcome!

Default Re: Feerie as a Gift?

Love the bottle but the scent is pretty generic reminds me of versace red jeans

I actively dislike Faerie - while it may be light, it's in the category that I call "sneezy" - it makes my eyes water a bit and makes me want to sneeze. I wouldn't consider it an "anybody would like it" fragrance.

Crayfish

I found it to be quite sweet, but my chemistry tends to make frags sweeter. It is light and a bit bland. It did feel quite "young" to me (I'm 41).

It's so tough to get an unsniffed frag for someone. Although if this one doesn't work out, at least the bottle looks cute (from pictures, anyhow).

Maybe the solution is to get a sample of this and a few others and to present it to her as the gift--she gets to pick the one that works best on her.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 5th December 2008 at 04:57 PM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

That's how they sell this %$$#$&&%$ stuff now, especially at Christmas, with cool packages. It's crazy, because what are you going to do with it, look at the bottle, or wear the perfume? There're a jillion & one great 'fumes out there. Some good Department store frags are from Estee Lauder or Boucheron. Just sample first. These days, money is a terrible thing to waste! And don't give those perfume poseurs any more encouragement!

I'm not really feeling Feerie for a 50 yo. It's so sweet and candy/berry like. Let me see. It's hard for me to think of what's light cause I like my frags heavy. Hmmmmm. I like the Bulgari tea scents. My fav is The Rouge in the red trim. Stella by Stella McCartney is a beautiful rose frag. It softens very nicely. Also try the new Boucheron..B. It didn't come across as loud. I'm not sure what to say it smells like though. Maybe try one of the Hermes scents....Caleche, Eau Des Merveilles, Kelly Caleche, Elixir Des Merveilles, etc. I have Kelly Caleche and it's a beautiful floral leather and the dry down is soft and beautiful. I also love Elixir Des Merveilles. It's very soft on me. The dry down is very soft and just a little sweet.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Scents, especially new ones, are really hard to use as gifts. I am reluctant to go with the sample route since all I got her last year was a scarf and gloves. She rates a lot better than that.
    OK so Feerie might be a gamble. The Hermes suggestions might be on the right track but I will have to be careful. Any other ideas a re welcome. I would hate to have to resort to a hat to match last year's scarf!
    Suggestions and opinions are still very welcome.

It's hard to choose a scent for someone, even someone you are very close to. Recently I've thought I found 'the perfect scent' for my mother, based on knowing her preferences and past choices, and then found that she didn't really like my choice, but preferred something completely different! (She's now gone from Sung to Flowerbomb.. and loves Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille, Louve and Santal Blanc! Who knew?)

I agree with the Hermes line but I would stick with classic scents and stay away from the sweeties (like Elixir des Merveilles). 24 Faubourg is gorgeous but is not super light but in the past when I have worn it, it has always garnered many compliments. And what about Un Jardin Sur Le Nil? Light, fresh, green mango (!!). Then there's Eau de Cartier, which a friend of mine who is in her 60s LOVES for its freshness. You might also try L'Eau Par Kenzo which I love in the men's version, but that might be too much for your friend, so you could try the women's version (if it's anything like the men's it's great..). If she might enjoy tea notes, for a less expensive scent, EA Green Tea is marvelous. There's also Bulgari Au The Vert (and the Extreme version is stellar). Final suggestion (for now), Chanel no. 5 Eau Premiere. I'm not a Chanel No. 5 fan, but I find this quite wearable.

Just some random suggestions. I'm very much a newbie to fragrance (and completely obsessed, though inexperienced), so take these recommendations with a grain of salt!
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 6th December 2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typo

I just turned 50 this year. I like all kinds of fragrances, from delicate florals to spicy to sweeter fragrances targeted to younger women. It just depends on my mood. I haven't smelled Feerie, but I think the bottle is pretty. One I really like lately is the new Bulgari, Jasmin Noir. It's floral, sweet, woodsy, soft & delicate, not fussy or formal, so can be worn casually - or anywhere. I'm impressed with it. Another one I like, but not sure what the general consensus is (I'll often love something others dislike) is Ralph Lauren's new one, Notorious. It's soft and woodsy. Not very long lasting, but I don't mind that.

Blog Entries

I guess what I'm saying is, don't buy something out of a catalogue without first trying a sample of real stuff (juice-not powder on paper) on your own skin and letting it "cook" for an hour. I once got all excited and almost spent $80 on the new Kenneth Cole Black until I tested it in Dillards. Nice lillies of the valley for 5 minutes and then - absolutely GONE!!! I don't have that kind of money to waste.
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th December 2008 at 05:24 PM.

Feerie is uber sweet. Ouch sweet.Yikes sweet. Ony a safe bet if she LOOOOOOOOOVES sweet scents or is into collecting new and different bottles.

Don't know how much you want to spend,but what about he small Bond No. 9 bon bon box? About $130.00. Probably the same price as a bottle of Féerie. Or the large one if you money to burn ( I think you get 18 different scents--be still my heart!!!!). I have been dropping hints like crazy for this. No luck so far! The bottles are a good size, significantly larger than the bon bon sample size.

Seems a safer bet to give a variety pack than to sink all the money into one scent.I'll be so jealous....
    [you can google to find...here they sell them at Saks]

The only reason NOT to go for the Bond is if she really hates New York. Each is named for a street or neighborhood in Manhattan. I love New York. I love at least three of the scents, like several others,haven't tried all of them, but would if someone would only buy me the BIG bon bon box. .I am turning green with thought of someone getting this gift.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 6th December 2008 at 06:20 PM.

I appreciate the info on Feerie. It seemed sweet on paper but not excessive. It is true I should have checked out the real thing before considering it for a gift. Now I need to get busy and find something safe to give. Christmas is not a good time to experiment with a new frag. It can go wrong too easily.
    Thanks for all of the advice. You probably prevented a disastrous gift.