Code of Conduct

Question Inexpensive candles with great throw?

Hello home fragrance fans and experts! I am looking for recommendations for relatively inexpensive candles to scent my home. I prefer soy based candles, but am most interested in great scents with great throw. Love gourmands, Christmas-y scents and spices. Any help is most appreciated! Thanks! Lizzie.

Default Re: Inexpensive candles with great throw?

archipelago vetiver is damn good.

Also check out circle e candles....they are inexpensive ans have great throw.

www.circleecandles.com
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Smile Re: Inexpensive candles with great throw?

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    archipelago vetiver is damn good.

Also check out circle e candles....they are inexpensive ans have great throw.

www.circleecandles.com
    Thanks for the recommendations! And the website link...I'd never heard of Circle E but they look marvelous. ^_^

I have to say that that my Stella Mare "Noble Fir" soy candle has an amazing cold throw, and and even bigger warm throw. It has a great scent, but it is so powerful that I only light it for about an hour. It scents up the whole room. Their other fragrances are probably equally powerful.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I have to say that that my Stella Mare "Noble Fir" soy candle has an amazing cold throw, and and even bigger warm throw. It has a great scent, but it is so powerful that I only light it for about an hour. It scents up the whole room. Their other fragrances are probably equally powerful.
    Thanks for the recommendation. My local TJ Maxx sells Stella Mare candles for a great price. I'll have to check them out! ^_^

Well, that depends on what you consider to be inexpensive. For me it means under $30. I get really upset when candles down burn down evenly too. I really like the Henri Bendel candles from Bath and Body Works a lot.....love the Vanilla Woods the best. I also buy a lot of Tyler candles. A single Tyler votive scents my whole master bedroom and bath. They have tons of scents to choose from too and the burn great. I also love Trapp candles if you want a huge throw ( Bobs Flower Shop is my favorite).

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    Well, that depends on what you consider to be inexpensive. For me it means under $30. I get really upset when candles down burn down evenly too. I really like the Henri Bendel candles from Bath and Body Works a lot.....love the Vanilla Woods the best. I also buy a lot of Tyler candles. A single Tyler votive scents my whole master bedroom and bath. They have tons of scents to choose from too and the burn great. I also love Trapp candles if you want a huge throw ( Bobs Flower Shop is my favorite).
    I've seen others mention Tyler and Trapp candles elsewhere. I think I can get the BBW/Henri Bendel on eBay. So I will try them out. I've tried a single candle from Tyler with 3 wicks and it's nice but not particularly scented. Perhaps I picked the wrong style/fragrance and I'll try another. I recently tried the Circle E brand mentioned elsewhere and they are very high quality and last a long time. So far I like these the best.....^_^

After reading this thread last week, I kept an eye out for Stella Mare candles at TJMaxx. I found 2 on the clearance shelf: a 5oz. Pumpkin Spice soy candle for $3 and a slightly larger Blackberry & Cream candle for $4.00. I haven't burned either of them yet, but these are two of my favorite comfort scents, and the unlit candles smell wonderful.

Thank you to odysseusm and lizzie_j for the stepping stones to these great finds! :wave:
    Last edited by tang; 21st January 2009 at 09:54 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

I was very impressed with Laurence Llewelyn Bowen's candles---particularily "Black", which smelled like polished black marble or an ebony piano. Unfortunately, I don't know if he's still actively producing them, but they can still be found online:

http://blmgifts.com/laurence_llewelyn_bowen.htm

D.L. & Co's "Modern Alchemy" collection is very interesting, as well, with scents like "Speakeasy" and "Ex Libris" (these are probably on the pricier end of what you were looking for, but interesting just the same) :

http://www.candledelirium.com/DL-Co-...chemy-Candles/

There's always "Crabtree & Evelyn", which has put out some nice candles lately like those from the "India Hicks" collection. And for cheap but tried and true, there's always the "Yankee Candle Company", which now has a new soy based line. Try "Spicy Hot Holiday" for a warm scent and "Over the Moon" or "Field of Dreams" for a midsummer's night type scent.

http://www.yankeecandle.com/cgi-bin/...ax%26%23153%3b

Lizzie- as a fellow candle newbie, thanks for starting this great thread, and for posting your reviews.

If I may, a humble plug for Pacifica. I purchased "Tibetan Mountain Temple" for $15, and it scents my whole bedroom sitting unlit near a sunny window!

Quote Originally Posted by snailhorn View Post
    Lizzie- as a fellow candle newbie, thanks for starting this great thread, and for posting your reviews.

If I may, a humble plug for Pacifica. I purchased "Tibetan Mountain Temple" for $15, and it scents my whole bedroom sitting unlit near a sunny window!
    I can't believe you mentioned this scent! I purchased a small votive of Tibetan Mountain Temple (I think it was $3 dollars at Elephant Pharmacy (elephantpharmacy.com) and burned it over the past few days. The scent was just wonderful. Now I want to get the solid perfume for myself!

Adding to the list of great candles on the cheap: A Wicked Scent (awickedscent.com) candles are really great. The pillars burn evenly and slowly, and the scents...are they ever good! The scent is strongly concentrated and they scent my desk area really well without burning. I've tried their Harvest and Pumpkin Spice this Winter as well as a piney/spicey scent called Yosemite Pine. All three were excellent and if I recall they were about $12 each for a 3" pillar.

I continue to be enchanted by the Circle E jar candles, especially the butter rum. It's absolutely delicious and the price was right (circleecandles.com).

I've tried candles from the chain store Illuminations, and while they were nice, they weren't particularly strong, and the throw was modest. They were at the upper end of my 'inexpensive' definition (max $30) too. Maybe it was the particular scents I tried (Egg Nog and Sugar Cookie for the holidays)..?? Anyone else with any experience with Illuminations?

No trips to TJ Maxx lately, but next time I go I'll be on the lookout for some great candle deals!
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 23rd January 2009 at 09:14 PM.

Im partial to the Yankee candles. They scent an entire room and they come in soy also. Its nice to have the jar candles so there is no mess to clean..just throw away the jar when its done and no worries of drippage :-)