Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr gives Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein 4 stars

'...What makes Secret Obsession so good is that Becker has managed to create a commercial, accessible version of some of the best niche stuff coming out right now. The reference is the work of Bertrand Duchaufour for two houses, l’Artisan Parfumeur, where he has painted dark, somewhat challenging canvases of smoke and ancient wood, and l’Eau d’Italie, the ultra-niche Roman house, for whom he has executed crystalline 15th-century portraits of the towns and hay fields of Tuscany, its medieval stones, its fields and the stacks of firewood in winter...'

Read the full review on the NYT Blog The Moment here.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Burr gives Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein 4 stars

Oh I must try this one, being a huge fan of Sienne l'Hiver!
    Is it unisex or marketed at women? Not that I mind either way.
    Thanks for the info.- nice to see a mass market scent that is accesible
    to everyone gaining such kudos. What do you think of it?

Thanks Mike! I love to read Chandler Burr's reviews but always forget to go looking for them. I will have to give this one a try....I just assumed it was probably crap since the SA's at Dillards were accosting people with it

I tried it along with EL Sensuous and Lancome's Magnifique, as a trio of 'woodies'. I liked it. I thought it the best of the three, to my blunt nose and I'd certainly consider a bottle.

I agree though - it's really nice to see mass-market scents getting big love along with the niche stuff. Good is good, no matter who makes it.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I tried Secret Obsession on a card again yesterday, and again thought, "nice!" Next time, I'll try it on skin. Thanks for posting the review Mike.

I tried it along with EL Sensuous and Lancome's Magnifique, as a trio of 'woodies'. I liked it. I thought it the best of the three, to my blunt nose and I'd certainly consider a bottle.
    Wordbird, I agree with you. Secret Obsession is the nicest of those three.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 5th December 2008 at 12:18 PM.

Does Chandler sound like Luca in this? (all that Duschaufour raves?) Thanks for posting!

Having said that perhaps irrelevant above bit, I think "Secret Obsession" is rather nice, not a masterpiece or trully innovative, but it has a very distinctive nutmeg note that comes out strongly and delectably and is rather dry, which is a very good thing in my books. It somehow seems like an oasis amidst all those tooth-aching fruity florals, which should tell the industry something I guess.
    I think it's much, much better than Magnifique, which was so terribly "fake" in its ad copy I had to come out and question about them in no uncertain terms on the blog, and it's perhaps less traditionally feminine than Sensuous, which is good.

On the other hand, total contradiction between advertising and scent!

Heh. Luca gave it 1 star in the new guide newsletter. He hated it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Oh I must try this one, being a huge fan of Sienne l'Hiver!
    Is it unisex or marketed at women? Not that I mind either way.
    Thanks for the info.- nice to see a mass market scent that is accesible
    to everyone gaining such kudos. What do you think of it?
    Well, I happen to love a handful of Duchaufour's creations, but not Sienne L'Hiver. Secret Obsession is a woman's scent, and it's being marketed that way. I smelled it about a month ago, and I doused my arm in it (4 full sprays). I loved the top notes and thought they smelled very masculine (whatever that means) but the drydown felt feminine to my nose. But, I feel like I need to give it another full wearing, before I write it off.

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    Thanks Mike! I love to read Chandler Burr's reviews but always forget to go looking for them. I will have to give this one a try....I just assumed it was probably crap since the SA's at Dillards were accosting people with it
    You're welcome - try it next time you see it. It also seems easy to buy samples on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post

I agree though - it's really nice to see mass-market scents getting big love along with the niche stuff. Good is good, no matter who makes it.
    I tried Sensuous a few times, and I feel the same way about it as I feel about SO. Lovely woody and comfy top notes, that dry down to a smell I associate with a woman. I'd love to know what note/aromachemical that is, but whatever it is it makes me uncomfortable. Magnifique I have stayed away from - most of the reviews I read spooked me.

It's nice to see department store womens fragrances embracing the woods. God knows you ladies have been wearing Serge Lutens scents that are chock full of wood for a while already. C'mon perfumers - get with the program!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I tried Secret Obsession on a card again yesterday, and again thought, "nice!" Next time, I'll try it on skin. Thanks for posting the review Mike.

Wordbird, I agree with you. Secret Obsession is the nicest of those three.
    You're welcome - try and report back!

Quote Originally Posted by helg View Post
    Does Chandler sound like Luca in this? (all that Duschaufour raves?) Thanks for posting!

Having said that perhaps irrelevant above bit, I think "Secret Obsession" is rather nice, not a masterpiece or trully innovative, but it has a very distinctive nutmeg note that comes out strongly and delectably and is rather dry, which is a very good thing in my books.
    I thought the same thing helg - although I've been known to be a Duchaufour Fan Club Member myself.

I don't remember the nutmeg note (I tend to love nutmeg in fragrances, as long as they're not woven in with aquatic notes like some masculines do) so next time I smell SO I will concentrate on detecting it. I do remember thinking, as soon as I applied it, 'This smells like a masculine!' The One for Men by D&G and SO share a lot in common, the first 5 minutes. Nonetheless, I don't own either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    I didn't hate it - but it does have that 'big' fragrance feel that Turin describes. Having said that, I think I would prefer smelling SO on a passing woman, more than I would like smelling Fracas or Poison, two other 'big' fragrances.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    WHAT? He bashed a Calice Becker composition??? That's a first!!!!
    How intriguing! I am noting the time-frame down because it might be handy in the near future ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by helg View Post
    WHAT? He bashed a Calice Becker composition??? That's a first!!!!
    How intriguing! I am noting the time-frame down because it might be handy in the near future ;-)
    Well, to be completely accurate - he had allocated the scent for Tania to review. She gave it 1 star and hated it.